Wait, this game is full price? And getting a CE? Say whaaaaaat?

#1 Edited by Metal_Mills (2948 posts) -

II always thought this was a $15 DD game. But no, rather than doing it in episodes this is the entire thing in one box(60 levels). It's a full retail game with a 65 Euro CE. That's $87 for you yanks.

http://collectorsedition.org/8068/rayman-origins-collectors-edition-first-image-and-details-revealed

• 50-pages Artbook ” The Art of Rayman”
  • Official Soundtrack
  • pop-up 3D Box

It's pretty weak. I'd like it more if the artbook was a proper size. I don't like those small ones. Give me A4 at least! It's a shame this is coming out this year. On the same day as Saints Row 3 and AC and a few days after Skyrim. It really couldn't pick a worse time.

#2 Edited by MooseyMcMan (9765 posts) -

WHAT?! A FULL PRICED 2D SIDE SCROLLING GAME?! THAT HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE!

In all seriousness though, yeah, this is surprising. Either Ubisoft is being pretty ballsy with this game, or that is a big-ass side scroller.

#3 Posted by Getz (2955 posts) -

Huh, I thought it was a downloadable as well.

#4 Posted by RobotHamster (4156 posts) -

Yea I did actually figure this was going to be $15.

#5 Posted by Metal_Mills (2948 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan said:

WHAT?! A FULL PRICED 2D SIDE SCROLLING GAME?! THAT HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE!

In all seriousness though, yeah, this is surprising. Either Ubisoft is being pretty ballsy with this game, or that is a big-ass side scroller.

60 levels. Apparently it was going to be Episodic but they just made it a full version instead.
#6 Posted by LoggerRythm (190 posts) -

Well this is one yank that's not going to buy into this doiwhowhop.

I thought this was DL as well.

#7 Posted by JoyfullOFrockets (1175 posts) -

Hey, you don't see this everyday.

Ah, well, 1000 G!

#8 Posted by Timing (616 posts) -

Hm, as much as I'm looking forward to this game (which is a lot!) this collector's edition doesn't do it for me. What am I supposed to do with a cardboard pop-up box? I think I'll just stick with one collector's edition this year.

#9 Posted by TooWalrus (12977 posts) -

I'm really glad- I'm honestly not a fan of the episodic model for games, especially when it doesn't pan out (like Sonic 4 and Penny Arcade). If they made 4 episodes, it could've been a full-priced game anyway.

#10 Posted by wealllikepie (756 posts) -

well you pretty much lost my interest...

#11 Posted by ervonymous (1226 posts) -

I never liked the balls to the walls crazy style they went for after the first two but maybe this'll turn out to be fine. 2D's definitely a plus in my book.

#12 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5117 posts) -

The CE sucks but I am willing to pay full price for a new 2D Rayman game.

#13 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

so pc version?

#14 Posted by Subjugation (4693 posts) -

No ... Just no ...

#15 Posted by Ghostiet (5153 posts) -

I hate episodic games, so I'm game with it. This way, I'll buy it shortly after release, not 6 months later when they release a full collection.

#16 Posted by AjayRaz (12390 posts) -

i have a bad feeling about this game considering the releases that are near it's release.

#17 Posted by DeF (4692 posts) -

Just because it's a 2D sidescroller it shouldn't be full price? That's a very weird assumption.

Also, a €65,- CE with a Soundtrack CD and an Artbook is a good deal if you consider that some retailers price REGULAR editions of PS3/360 games at €69,99! And even if you find other games for €59, six bucks extra for those two things and a nice box are totally fine.

The £79.99 that amazon uk is charging, however, is a bit ridiculous!

#18 Posted by Toms115 (2314 posts) -

yes pls. the more games i can hold in my hands the better.

#19 Posted by Metal_Mills (2948 posts) -
@DeF said:
Just because it's a 2D sidescroller it shouldn't be full price? That's a very weird assumption.

No. Because it was meant to be episodic.
#20 Posted by JonathanMoore (1858 posts) -

If it's colorful, charismic and fun to play, it has more of my attention than half of the games coming out.

#21 Posted by rawrsair (817 posts) -

That CE isn't the best i've seen around, but i think it's nice that the game is being released in a box

#22 Posted by DonutFever (3515 posts) -

Sweet. Love this game's style.

#23 Posted by ozzdog12 (846 posts) -

@Metal_Mills: I gotta be honest, this game is a sleeper for me. I doubt I'll buy it, but man it looks really good.

#24 Posted by CaptainCody (1504 posts) -

WHY WOULD ANYONE NOT BUY THIS GAME IT WILL BE AMAZING FUCK YOU ALL.

#25 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

From everything I've heard about it, this game is very deserving of my sixty bucks.

#26 Posted by Milkman (16228 posts) -

Wait, what? How is this not XBLA?...

#27 Posted by RobertOrri (1088 posts) -

What doesn't get a CE or something similar these days?

#28 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5750 posts) -

I didn't even know this was a console game

#29 Posted by Metal_Mills (2948 posts) -
@Milkman said:

Wait, what? How is this not XBLA?...

Because they turned it from episodes into one full game.
#30 Posted by ahgunsillyo (440 posts) -

I'm also rather surprised that this isn't a downloadable title. I can't really think of any completely 2D games that have been released on a retail disc in a while, especially outside of the Wii.

That being said, unless they suddenly and drastically altered their plans, from what I heard at PAX, this game won't have Online Multiplayer. I'm not always completely game for Online Multiplayer, but for a full-priced non-Wii game that totes NSMBWii-esque multiplayer as one of its major features, the omission of it is a bit disappointing.

I really enjoyed what I've played of it, though, so we'll see if the lack of Online Multiplayer ends up being a deal-breaker for me. The only people with whom I'd play the game don't live close enough to easily come over to play Couch Co-op.

#31 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

I thoght this was a 3ds game

#32 Posted by brownsfantb (387 posts) -

Would have bought it today, if it was downloadable. I'll probably buy it cheap in a few months or rent it for a weekend. Looks fun, but I'm too busy with Skyrim and Gears to justify $60 for this.

#33 Posted by Bravestar (379 posts) -

I would definitely pay 40 euros for that game, if I had anybody to play with. too bad all my friends are too lazy to leave their houses

#34 Posted by MikkaQ (10225 posts) -

I think it's awesome that it's a full title. It's been a while since we have a nice long 2D platformer like that.

@Metal_Mills said:

@DeF said:
No. Because it was meant to be episodic.

The way microsoft charges for points, buying every episode probably would have cost people more than 60$ to buy everything any way.

#35 Posted by chrissedoff (2041 posts) -

i bought it and regret nothing

#36 Edited by jozzy (2041 posts) -

@chrissedoff said:

i bought it and regret nothing

Me too. Having tons of fun playing through it with my kids. I got my son mario land on the 3ds but he loves Rayman a lot more. It must be one of the most beautiful games I have ever seen and the controls are flawless. The game is huge too, definately worth the asking price. And for those to busy with the Skyrims and Cods, this will be the game to get for cheap in a few months.

Don´t forget about this one guys.

EDIT: I hope it doesn´t get overlooked in the GOTY deliberations.

#37 Posted by Sjosz (482 posts) -

This is actually a pretty fantastic game.

#38 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4038 posts) -
#39 Posted by MidgardDragon (152 posts) -

@slightconfuse said:

I thoght this was a 3ds game

Same. Though there is still a 3DS version coming (with no release date as of yet).

#40 Posted by GetEveryone (4454 posts) -

When I realised this, I put my purchase off. Sad to hear it's not doing so well on sales either.

Now that I have my mum asking me what I'd like for xmas, I figure I'll get this. Look whimsical as fuck, and I could really go for something I can play in short bursts.

I also have stupidly high-hopes for it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.