"Rayman Raving Rabbids: TV Party" is simply awesome. Really.

#1 Edited by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

How the hell could this get a 72% average score on gamerankings? Seriously. How? Rayman Raving Rabbids TV Party is a brilliant piece of interactive entertainment, and will now become my prime argument against Wii haters who refuse to even try games like these by default. Let me tell you, this is a damn sweet title, and one of the few that satisfy what my imagination had come up with when the Wii was announced and the Motion Control Hype was still going.

Mario Party is rather meh.
I, just as the next gamer, am not necessary a fan of minigame collections. I played my share of Mario Party, and it was fun if you played with 2+ people, but never really wanted to return to it. I rented Wario Ware: Smooth Moves. It was nice, but equally soon forgotten. I tried the first Raving Rabbids, enjoyed the humor and some of the games, but ultimatly ended up selling it. Just like the other games, it was okay/good in multiplayer, but forgettable if you played alone. I put the genre to rest, and this was when I entered my personal Wii-is-disappointing-phase, which has just recently ended when I started randomly testing titles I would normally never have touched (like de Blob, Wii Music, or Umbrella Chronicles).

So I decided to give RRR TV Party a go, not having read much about it beforehand. And the game rocks my socks off.

There's not that much time wasted introducing you to the general narrative, or theme: By circumstances that I will not explain, the Rabbids are getting trapped in Raymans TV, and wreak havoc. Every movie and TV show is invaded by those little critters, and this is where you're given control, placing the shows you want to watch (play) on the available timeslots for each day, trying to give your best performances throughout the week. There is no subgame before you enter the minigames - Every day has different timeslots with different programmes available for you to chose. For example, you will find health and kids related spoofs in the early timeslots, might choose to play a bit of music mayhem during the day, and end it with sports or Zombie flicks. All of which, of course, are presented in brilliant little hand-drawn animations and themes, feature the typical anarchistic rabbid-humor and show a suprising diversity and originality.

"Swing your arms, from side to side."
There are so many things that surprised me.
A) They really tried to find great and fun and innovative ways of using the Wiimote and Nunchuck to make you do the most hilarious things
B) These controls actually work. That's right, they work. You do things and the game recognizes them correctly. Oh yes, you and your potential multiplayers will look ridiculous. But it's so awesome. Because it works.
C) They actually have some nice licenced songs which you can dance to, sing or play instruments, all done brilliantly.

The most astonishing feat that they pulled off is that the Single Player experience rocks just as much. This is the one thing that is missing from all the other Minigamegames: They shine in Multiplayer, but fail if you're alone. Somehow, the timeslot-mechanics of Rayman, with the Animations, the division into days (each new day being introduced by a short and amusing FMV about Raymans trials with his TV) and the overall presentation makes a quick round of RRR alone very attractive. Combine that with tons of always awesome pop culture references - which is a given with the "TV"-theme - and the little details such as the Rabbids "breaking the fourth wall" of your TV (think of Eternal Darkness), makes this very much enjoyable no matter how many people play.
Many of the games have balance board support, and this is the first time I wish I had one. The game is brilliant enough without it - But some games I imagine even more delightful with that horrible and expensive piece of plastic attachment. O well.

There are many forms of awesome.
The other games I spend time with these days are Gears of War 2 and Mass Effect (again). Which is a totally different thing, of course, but in terms of sheer delight and entertainment, the Rabbid's motion controlled deconstruction of TV shows is easily on par, if not above that, with Alpha Team cutting itself through the innards of Riftworms, and Shepard scoring him- or herself some blue alien love. It's just that good.

I add this to the great list of 08/09 games for Wii owners who are actually trying to broaden their gaming horizon, and this is one of the few rare gems on the console that aren't good despite the motion controls, but because of them, and use them in fantastic ways.

If you have a Wii and you're not yet completely convinced that it sucks, I strongly, strongly advise you to give Rayman Raving Rabbids: TV Party a try, despite the stupid name and the fact that it's "just" a minigame collection.
It's got great gameplay, great visuals and sound, embedded in a well conceived style, a funny narrative frame, and is riddled with good ideas. And it's a motion control game that works. I mean, come on.

"Daaaaarh."
#2 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -

Oh god that reminds me that i need to finish this page... (one of my long time projects).

When the sound "turned of" i really thought it was the TV that broke down...

#3 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

What do you think of the game, Endogene?

Because I really can't understand the average scores it's gotten on many sites. I mean, I enjoyed the Umbrella Chronicles, but I totally see why it's a bad game. I didn't like Bioshock, but I would generally agree with the scores it got. I can differentiate between "a game I like" and "a game that deserves good marks for everything it does" just fine - And RRR TV party is definatly of the latter kind.

#4 Edited by Endogene (4741 posts) -

I liked it a lot but i also played 1 and 2 so I'm starting to grow a bit tired of the franchise but for new comers it is absolutely magnificent. It is a way better game than the second one that was plagued by a number of minigames that were somewhat the same but in this one all the minigames are unique and the presentation is really polished also there are some extremely funny spoofs in the game. The balance board support is really great to especially the minigame in which you race through the asteroid field on a ironing board, great music in that level by the way. If someone would ask me what is the best mini game compelation on the Wii i would tell them that it is this one.

I don't really check out marks most of the time what kind of marks did it get?

edit: Brintney Spears' toxic sung by a "rabbid" is genius.

#5 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

For reference, the GT Video review. Although it doesn't to the game justice.

I don't really check out marks most of the time what kind of marks did it get?

Its all in the same range as the GT review, 6.5 to 7.5 ish. All highlight the hassle the balance board is when playing with four players.

#6 Edited by strangeling (1260 posts) -

I didn't read your topic post.

Did you play the first two, or is this your first?
That's the problem with review SCORES.  The reviews I've read for TV Party said it's tired from a series point of view, but just as fun as the others for first timers.  But they score games against the previous games in a series most of the time.
- - - - - - - -
Ah, I see you played the first.  My bad.
#7 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -
strangeling said:
But they score games against the previous games in a series most of the time.
But the second one was rather bland, wasn't it?

I mean, to a degree I understand that. I too, would rather have seen a new game, or a new IP released with all the ideas and modes they came up with to use the Wiimote/Nunchuck, and implemented them into some sort of adventure instead of a collection of smaller games.

But still. Meh. I just wish the people who made the Controller actually work in this game would be rewarded. Does anyone know how TV party fared, sales-wise?
#8 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

So your proof againest haters is what? a mini game filled game? sorry it sno different then the mario party series and doesn't even have the nostalgia factor going for it, Games like these are a bane on the gaming scene simple recloned games to make money, At most have fun for 5 minutes. I have my online if i wanna play a game i shouldn't have to collect 3 other people to play a multiplayer game in this day and age, another game in the long line of why i sold that Wii cause this is the majority of what come sout.

#9 Edited by DXSSI (266 posts) -

I played RRRTVP for awhile but haven't picked it back up in some time.  I never even finished Monday.  Some of the games were good, some were not, and the Balance Board integration (yes, I have one) in my opinion sucks.  I think the game could have really used some Mario Party-style instructions for each game, because there are times I just can't get the controls to work.  Take the dancing game, for example—some of the moves are intuitive and easy, while others are completely perplexing to me.  Maybe you could offer some tips, Meowayne?

Okay, here's the problem I have...

These stick figures don't make any sense to me due to the complete lack of detail.  Is it facing me and mirroring my movements, or am I looking at its back?  If it is mirroring me, how is it holding the WIi Remote and Nunchuk?  Is that mirrored too?  The arrow—am I supposed to be extending the arm which is drawn long and keeping the other short, or am I supposed to have the other one out already as I thrust the short arm outwards to match it, since the arrow's source comes from the short arm?  I'm probably overthinking it or something, but I can't figure out what's acceptable and what's not, and consistently score low on every movement except the downward thrust shown in panels 3 and 4 here, since it's the same movement with both arms.

I can certainly attest to one thing—as goofy as it is, the dancing minigame is a blast when it's working, but a bore when it's not and you can't figure out why.  As I said, it would be nice if the game had detailed instructions, either in-game or in the instruction book, but it doesn't.  It just says "match the movements", and I try, but it doesn't work consistently.
#10 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -
So your proof againest haters is what? a mini game filled game?  

Yes, silly. That's exactly my point. I am not a fan of minigame collections, but because I am not a blind, idiotic idiot, I actually try games. This one is extremely awesome and of very high quality in every aspect. Thanks for proving my point about blind, ignorant idiots, though.

sorry it sno different then the mario party series

You take so much pride in not having played it and not wanting to play it, that obviously you're in no position to make such claims. I have tried it. I have stated my un-fanboyed opinion of it - Considering the fact that I am generally disappointed in the console, and am not a fan of Minigame collections, why not give my article a quick look?

simple recloned games to make money

Why don't you read the part where I talk about this game's originality, flair and great use of controls? You might also take a look at the part where I set it apart from other games of similar kinds and talk about what it makes so much better, and how you can definatly feel the work that went into it, especially the controls.

At most have fun for 5 minutes.

Why don't you read the part where I talk about the way this game is presented and what it does to motivate the players?

I have my online if i wanna play a game i shouldn't have to collect 3 other people to play a multiplayer game in this day and age

Why don't you read the part where I talk about how much fun this is in single player, and how surprising this is considering that every other game of the genre isn't?

Another game in the long line of why i sold that Wii cause this is the majority of what come sout.

If every Wii game where of the quality, originality and spirit of Rayman Raving Rabbids: TV Party, it would so incredibly own the other two consoles. And I am saying this as a big fan of the Xbox360.

These stick figures don't make any sense to me due to the complete lack of detail.  Is it facing me and mirroring my movements, or am I looking at its back?

You are looking at it's back, and at least on my TV, this is fairly obvious, as the figure is a 3D stick man with definite depth definitions, as opposed to the screenshot you posted. You just mimic exactly what the figure is doing - like you would mimic someone who dances with his back turned to you.
#11 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

Meowayne, I love you, but you can only get stupider if you argue with him.

#12 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

But what you're saying, DXSSI, is interesting. Appearantly, the Balance Board does make this game less fun by adding annoyance. Huh.

#13 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -
Meowayne said:
"But what you're saying, DXSSI, is interesting. Appearantly, the Balance Board does make this game less fun by adding annoyance. Huh.

"
Controls are harder to master with the balance board but once you know how to move on it getting the best score is way more rewarding also it is really fun when it is not your turn to play and to "hinder" (aka push) the one playing, the blessing of motion controls.

Heh those rating really surprise me, this game improves greatly over the second one and adds quite a number of new features to the game. I really like the adverts (microgames) can happen at any point in a minigame, and the winner of the microgame gets a small advantage in the minigame.
#14 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
"Meowayne, I love you, but you can only get stupider if you argue with him."
I know, I know, but it's frustrating because I know exactly where he's coming from. I was so close to selling my Wii at one point - before de Blob pulled me away from it. And even now that I've come to embrace the console again, I'm still so disppointed in the motion controls. That's why RRR TV Party was such a surprise, and why I'm now advertising, in a sense. Every Wii developer should spend some time with this game.
#15 Posted by joey (980 posts) -

They need a new just regular Rayman game.

#16 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

I have since beaten the "story mode", and had two sessions of many hours of playing RRR:TVP with a bunch of people in party mode.

My initial exciitement has proven correct. It really is that good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.