Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Realm of the Mad God Exalt

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jun 20, 2011

A free-to-play, online, retro MMORPG, with an 8-bit aesthetic.

Realm of the Mad God -- Raw Look

indieslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By indieslaw

Bullet Hell isn't a genre that has ever had much to offer me. If I want maddening pattern memorization, I'm far more likely to seek those experiences in something like Rock Band. Or pretty much anywhere else than in a spaceship. So I'm more than surprised by my initial impressions of Realm of the Mad God, a "co-op fantasy mmo shooter" from Wild Shadow Studios. These guys have done something incredibly smart with their game of hellish bullets: they've incentivized death.

And you will die.

Realm of the Mad God's mish-mash of different genres presents a surprisingly cohesive whole. On the MMO side, you start by playing the Wizard character class, and navigate around an instanced realm shooting bad guys, and indulging your loot lust. Quests are simple; as you approach a mini-boss type character, a red pop-up window points you in the direction of the mini-boss (equivalent to a 'named' I guess, though they're mostly nameless), and once you kill him, you get the quest complete dialogue, and a bag of loot falls out of the corpse. This condensed version of questing is very satisfying because it keeps you in the action, which is usually still going on all around you after the guy drops. Random baddies will drop loot at random too, though this is usually lesser stuff like potions.

For the bullet hell side of things, it can be said that there are bullets. Tons of them. It's a fairly simple control scheme, WASD for movement, mouse to shoot, space bar uses your class's special ability. Standard stuff. And you die a lot, but I'll get to that.

Each of the instances you enter are connected by a central hub called the Nexus. From here you can buy gear, trade with other players, and party up for the next instance, though there doesn't seem to be a true grouping mechanic. This is also where free to play can turn to pay to play, as you can use real currency to purchase in-game currency for items in the nexus. That currency can be used to buy additional character slots as well.

The instances themselves are surrounded around a raid boss of some kind. These instances hold just under a hundred players, and for all intents and purposes, all players in an instance are grouped. Nearby players killing monsters grants you xp, and your health spells help others nearby as well. It's just a matter of proximity, which keeps you moving, and keeps the momentum going.

What stops the momentum is death. Death comes frequently, especially your first few go rounds. But that's kind of the brilliance of this game. Your character progression overall is moved forward by how far you got before you died. It's a little strange, death is permanent to that character, but advances you in the class, which by turns allows your next character to get even farther, which advances you even farther, and perhaps unlocks a new character class to begin with. It's a pretty well thought out mechanic that brings something new to the bullet hell concept, namely making death a means of advancement as much as living is, in its own way.

I feel a little kinship there between this game and Super Meat Boy. SMB doesn't incentivize death in the same way, but in that game, there's a certain satisfaction in seeing your dozens or hundreds of deaths play out simultaneously once you do finally beat it. There's a similar satisfaction here in seeing how far you get give you something on dying. It's like cashing in your chips, and always having winnings.

I did have some technical trouble with the game. Fullscreen mode doesn't seem to work for me at all, and there were multiple connection issues. Its also hard not to get annoyed by the nudges towards purchasing currency, though I can't fault the game for that. I played entirely for free, and enjoyed myself.

IMPRESSION: Worth playing, to see if it hooks you.

------------

SLOWGLANCE

indieslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By indieslaw

Bullet Hell isn't a genre that has ever had much to offer me. If I want maddening pattern memorization, I'm far more likely to seek those experiences in something like Rock Band. Or pretty much anywhere else than in a spaceship. So I'm more than surprised by my initial impressions of Realm of the Mad God, a "co-op fantasy mmo shooter" from Wild Shadow Studios. These guys have done something incredibly smart with their game of hellish bullets: they've incentivized death.

And you will die.

Realm of the Mad God's mish-mash of different genres presents a surprisingly cohesive whole. On the MMO side, you start by playing the Wizard character class, and navigate around an instanced realm shooting bad guys, and indulging your loot lust. Quests are simple; as you approach a mini-boss type character, a red pop-up window points you in the direction of the mini-boss (equivalent to a 'named' I guess, though they're mostly nameless), and once you kill him, you get the quest complete dialogue, and a bag of loot falls out of the corpse. This condensed version of questing is very satisfying because it keeps you in the action, which is usually still going on all around you after the guy drops. Random baddies will drop loot at random too, though this is usually lesser stuff like potions.

For the bullet hell side of things, it can be said that there are bullets. Tons of them. It's a fairly simple control scheme, WASD for movement, mouse to shoot, space bar uses your class's special ability. Standard stuff. And you die a lot, but I'll get to that.

Each of the instances you enter are connected by a central hub called the Nexus. From here you can buy gear, trade with other players, and party up for the next instance, though there doesn't seem to be a true grouping mechanic. This is also where free to play can turn to pay to play, as you can use real currency to purchase in-game currency for items in the nexus. That currency can be used to buy additional character slots as well.

The instances themselves are surrounded around a raid boss of some kind. These instances hold just under a hundred players, and for all intents and purposes, all players in an instance are grouped. Nearby players killing monsters grants you xp, and your health spells help others nearby as well. It's just a matter of proximity, which keeps you moving, and keeps the momentum going.

What stops the momentum is death. Death comes frequently, especially your first few go rounds. But that's kind of the brilliance of this game. Your character progression overall is moved forward by how far you got before you died. It's a little strange, death is permanent to that character, but advances you in the class, which by turns allows your next character to get even farther, which advances you even farther, and perhaps unlocks a new character class to begin with. It's a pretty well thought out mechanic that brings something new to the bullet hell concept, namely making death a means of advancement as much as living is, in its own way.

I feel a little kinship there between this game and Super Meat Boy. SMB doesn't incentivize death in the same way, but in that game, there's a certain satisfaction in seeing your dozens or hundreds of deaths play out simultaneously once you do finally beat it. There's a similar satisfaction here in seeing how far you get give you something on dying. It's like cashing in your chips, and always having winnings.

I did have some technical trouble with the game. Fullscreen mode doesn't seem to work for me at all, and there were multiple connection issues. Its also hard not to get annoyed by the nudges towards purchasing currency, though I can't fault the game for that. I played entirely for free, and enjoyed myself.

IMPRESSION: Worth playing, to see if it hooks you.

------------

SLOWGLANCE

Avatar image for thereforecrowbar
    ThereforeCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ThereforeCrowbar

I second that suggestion, and agree with the points you've made.

Though what I found most surprising about the game was the player interaction. The game, I believe, invokes both kindness and greed. Many times while I played RotMG people would randomly request a trade with me and for free give me some of the rarest items in the game (granted, mostly because it was an item they could not use for their own class), while other times whenever there is a bag of loot on the ground, EVERYONE will most likely stop what they're doing and go for it, and take it even if they cannot use it. And when everyone would stand in a huge group shooting bullets together, healing and buffing each other, it sort of gave me this Power Rangers Megazord-like feeling, that we were all this big amorphous blob of bullets with a hive mind.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By mikemcn

I played a ton of ROTMG before it was a full game, and before they added microtransactions, It was great! But now I can't help but feel like the experience is cheaper for having all those microtransactions in there,

indieslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By indieslaw

I didn't figure out the items really until after the footage I recorded here, but I definitely experienced more greed than kindness. I ended up kinda striking out on my own until it was time to kill the boss, most times.

Yeah, I really felt that way too, but I don't know if it can be avoided in the microtransation free to play model.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

I played the game for 10 minutes...can't say i liked it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.