Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Dec 31, 2007

A top-down action RPG and item shop tycoon game for PC by doujin/indie circle EasyGameStation and localized by Carpe Fulgur for English-speaking audiences. You play the role of Recette, a young girl who opens an item shop to repay the debts incurred by her missing father.

100,000 copies sold on Steam

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By FluxWaveZ

So from Carpe Fulgur's (the publisher behind Recettear) blog, the RPG has made 100,000 sales (including the indie bundle sales) since its initial release on the 10th of September, 2010. Apparently, this is the first doujin game (Japanese indie game) that has ever been on Steam and sales have exceeded their expectations, which may perhaps be a sign of things to come. 

Carpe Fulgur has also announced, near the end of the previously linked blog post, another game developed by EGS (same developer behind Recettear) that they'll release in 2011: Chantelise

Recettear's a cool game that I'd recommend. It's a very unique RPG and I think everyone should at least try the free demo.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Definitely a great game.

I only played it for about 5 hours, I plan on finishing it soon though.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Animasta

They were super excited about how much they sold, I can tell you that much :P I'm also pretty interested in Chantelise as well

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Laketown said:
    " I'm also pretty interested in Chantelise as well "
    I'm not too sure if I'd enjoy Chantelise as much as Recettear, though. I'm interested, but Recettear really is unique and I like the concept of it and the mechanics of handling your little item shop. Sure, there are the dungeon aspects as well, but the core of the game is focused on the shop. With Chantelise, it seems that it's simply an RPG like many have been made before.
    benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By benpicko

That's million dollars

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By ESREVER

I really hope Recettear's success evolves into more games from that genre appearing on Steam. I wrote to valve about them adding Rockin' Android's games to steam, because I would of liked to see Crescent Pale Mist on Steam some day. As well as a few other titles that fit that catalog.  

Steam could use these new titles too. I'm tired of seeing the same things being featured over and over in these sales.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Animasta
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @Laketown said:
    " I'm also pretty interested in Chantelise as well "
    I'm not too sure if I'd enjoy Chantelise as much as Recettear, though. I'm interested, but Recettear really is unique and I like the concept of it and the mechanics of handling your little item shop. Sure, there are the dungeon aspects as well, but the core of the game is focused on the shop. With Chantelise, it seems that it's simply an RPG like many have been made before. "
    they did mention that since it is an older game than Recettear, it would be priced accordingly.
    Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Hourai

I'm downloading the demo right now. Looks interesting. 

Lavapotamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Lavapotamus

My copy only cost $1, though. They had it in an indie bundle during the thanksgiving sale, I wonder how many people snatched it up then.

Still, congrats to Carpe Fulgur, hopefully I get around to playing your game soon! I just finished Mass Effect, but I think ME2 and Dead Space are up before anything else...

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Lavapotamus said:
    " My copy only cost $1, though. They had it in an indie bundle during the thanksgiving sale, I wonder how many people snatched it up then. "
    They talk about that quite a lot in the blog post. The head business dude of the company is quite frustrated by the fact that they didn't put Recettear for sale for $5 individually before having made it part of a bundle.
    Psycosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Psycosis

This is great news! And after reading the blog post it's great that it means these guys are getting more attention and hopefully releasing more awesome japanese indie games. 

Recettear was one of my favourite games of 2010, so much so I practically recommended it to everyone I knew, so I can't wait for  Chantelise or anything else they get deals for!

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Psycosis said:
    " Recettear was one of my favourite games of 2010, so much so I practically recommended it to everyone I knew, so I can't wait for  Chantelise or anything else they get deals for! "
    But was it mostly the localization that made Recettear great for you (assuming that that's most of what Carpe Fulgur's involvement with Recettear was)? The localization is actually quite well done, but I loved Recettear for its concept and gameplay and not specifically because of the English translation. I'll pay attention to whatever Carpe Fulgur's ivolved with next, like you, though.
    Psycosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Psycosis
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @Psycosis said:
    " Recettear was one of my favourite games of 2010, so much so I practically recommended it to everyone I knew, so I can't wait for  Chantelise or anything else they get deals for! "
    But was it mostly the localization that made Recettear great for you (assuming that that's most of what Carpe Fulgur's involvement with Recettear was)? The localization is actually quite well done, but I loved Recettear for its concept and gameplay and not specifically because of the English translation. I'll pay attention to whatever Carpe Fulgur's ivolved with next, like you, though. "
    The localization was great, and that alone I feel is enough to pay attention to what they're doing next. But it does just so happen that there next project is also by EasyGameStation so that's enough for me to be interested. 

Also, assuming that the next game is also fun to play I'll trust the projects that they choose to bring over are also of a certain high quality. Plus, I'm a sucker for indie games in general.
    Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Bones8677

I just bought a copy myself a week ago. Really like it, though it seems this game is gonna get real hard real soon. Which means I'll probably stop playing. 0_0

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Geno

Looking forward to Chantelise.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Bones8677 said:
    " I just bought a copy myself a week ago. Really like it, though it seems this game is gonna get real hard real soon. Which means I'll probably stop playing. 0_0 "
    I actually didn't find it hard at all. The last week was a bit tight and I needed to, for the first time, sell some stuff to the Guild Master to make an additional 5k so I could meet the 500,000 pix payment, but it's really not that tough.
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By shiftymagician

The japanese indie guys should try to sell on Steam more often because of this good news.  They may just find the gold mine they are looking for in Steam due to the large consumer-base alone, especially the portion of us who buy some cheap indie games to see if they could be hidden gems.

Lavapotamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lavapotamus

" @Lavapotamus said:

" My copy only cost $1, though. They had it in an indie bundle during the thanksgiving sale, I wonder how many people snatched it up then. "
    They talk about that quite a lot in the blog post. The head business dude of the company is quite frustrated by the fact that they didn't put Recettear for sale for $5 individually before having made it part of a bundle. "

@FluxWaveZ said: I know it wasn't his intention, but reading a part of that blog post made me feel kind of guilty. Here's to hoping that their more recent sale on the game brought around a bigger piece of revenue
    BlaineBlaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By BlaineBlaine

I actually thought it was a little too easy. I finished the last week with over 1,000,000 Pix and honestly I didn't do anything. I pretty much sold everything at 100% unless it was a scarce item and I sold it at 225% or so. Actually, most of the money was made when food went expensive and I just bought up all the melons, curry and mont blanc. They sold like wild fire. 

That said, it is a good game, I'm going to do New Game + here and maybe actually do somethings with the dungeon. I didn't really bother the first time.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By WickedCestus

One of those is me! Well, technically my friend who gifted it to me when it was on sale for $8. I played until I went into a dungeon, and then the game started running incredibly slow for me. I think it's because my computer is garbage, but I'm getting some new parts in a couple of weeks so I'll definitely play some more then.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#21  Edited By LordAndrew

They got my money twice. Slightly discounted at launch, and then way discounted as part of the crazy bundle. So that's close to full price in total, I think? Even though they didn't get much from the individual purchases during the bundled discount, that's still a good deal of people who now know about Recettear and Carpe Fulgur. And that's very good for Carpe Fulgur, Chantelise, and whatever other games they decide publish in the future.

English voice acting sounds pretty costly, and I'd rather see CF use their profits to further their other publishing efforts, including getting console/handheld devkits. Unless they plan on localizing games with considerably more voice acting than Recettear has, it's just not that important.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Cybexx

Just started playing it after Ryan talked about it on the Bombcast. I did have to pay the full 20 but it is worth it, damn ingenious little game with an amazing english localization, like its almost Treehouse good. Reminds me of that section of Dragon Quest IV where you played  Torneko and have to work at an item shop for a while to get enough money together to buy equipment so that you can go questing. 

"Capitalism, ho!"

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By scarace360

Dude come on put more doujin games on steam. i dont even care if there not in english it is a bitch to import them. Come on this shows that they can sell.
    ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ShaunassNZ
    @benpicko said:

" thats million bucks "

fixed. 

Anyway, I saw this and was going to get it on sale, but thought it wasn't an indie game and was from ages ago (and re-released on Steam). Damn, sounds cool now.
    benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By benpicko
    @ShaunassNZ
    @benpicko said:

" thats million bucks "

fixed. 

Anyway, I saw this and was going to get it on sale, but thought it wasn't an indie game and was from ages ago (and re-released on Steam). Damn, sounds cool now.
    Ah yes. I can't edit on iPod now anyway. I kept looking at the comment like 'that DOES NOT look right.' but I posted it anyway.
    Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Axersia
    @scarace360 said:
    " Dude come on put more doujin games on steam. i dont even care if there not in english it is a bitch to import them. Come on this shows that they can sell. "
    Unfortunately, that's not always the publisher's decision to make. A little company called Rockin' Android, for example, specializes in localizing doujin shmups, but Valve doesn't want them. They've actually requested their fans to send a polite email to Mike Dunkle of Valve asking him to accept their games.

Weird thing is though, none of Steam's competitors have any problem with hosting their games. Hell, you can even buy them on PSN ported by Sony Online Entertainment themselves.

But anyway, good to hear this game sold well enough to get Chantelise localized, as that was one of the reasons I pre-purchased it at the time.
    Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

I want this game $10 worth.  Not $20 worth tho.

hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By hexx462

Not sure if I'll ever get around to playing the game, but I love success stories for smaller niche games. It's good for all of us gamers when they do well.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29  Edited By Tordah

That's good news. Hopefully this will help spur more Japanese publishers to sell their RPGs or whatever on Steam.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By EquitasInvictus

I'm glad that Recettear was able to sell well - even if, as that blog stated, it sold mostly on sale price (I admit I pre-ordered it on sale price myself), I'm sure breaking 100,000 will be a feather on CF's cap. They did a great job localizing Recettear and I'd be glad to support them in the future. I wouldn't mind paying full price for Chantelise, myself. 

I really hope they don't spend their resources on English voicing, though. I don't think that'd end well for them and I'm sure they'd do a lot better committing their resources entirely on just localizing new games. I feel like Recettear already made a good run and they won't have much to gain from it. I actually like having the Japanese voicing retained, too.

RedBullRacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RedBullRacer

Just completed the main story of Recettear, I have fallen in love with this game. It just makes me smile, I'm gonna keep playing it now that the debts are paid off to go dungeon crawling and just upgrade my shop etc. I can't wait for the new one Fortune Summoners that comes out on Steam this week, more Japanese games on Steam please!!!

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By cooljammer00

It's on a Steam sale right now, alone and as part of a Carpe Fulgur bundle.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.