Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Ash

Game » consists of 0 releases. Released July 2017

A spiritual successor to the Mega Man Legends franchise by Comcept.

Comcept Secures Funding for Kickstarter Game RED ASH from Chinese Publisher FUZE Entertainment

• 50 results
    austin_walker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By austin_walker
    The RED ASH
    The RED ASH "mock up" demo doesn't really have the same colorful POP that Mega Man Legends did years ago.

Comcept, the independent studio founded by Mega Man creator Keiji Inafune, announced last night that the company has secured full funding for RED ASH: The Indelible Legend from FUZE Entertainment, a "Chinese digital entertainment company engaged in production of console hardware as well as sales of console games." With this deal in place, comcept will be able to bring RED ASH to both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, and the studio will also be retaining both ownership rights to RED ASH and creative control of the ongoing project. The game's Kickstarter campaign will continue, and if it hits its goal, the funding will be used to create additional content for the game.

This news came with just four days left in RED ASH's Kickstarter campaign. Currently, the campaign has received $488k in pledges, falling quite a bit short of the set $800k goal. Backers of the game were justifiably worried that the game wouldn't meet its goal and thus wouldn't make it to market. Some backers also worried that even if it hit its funding goal, RED ASH would leave them wanting more, since the campaign's initial goal of $800k would only fund the production of half of RED ASH's prologue chapter, "The KalKanon Incident." If the campaign managed to raise a total of $1.5m, the other half of that prologue would be produced, totally 8 hours of play time. Comcept also mentioned that the studio had plans to produce the "main story" of RED ASH, titled "The New Order Conspiracy," but it offered no clue as to when that would be coming or how that would be funded.

As happy as I am that fans of Mega Man Legends will finally get a follow up, there are elements of this announcement that sit unwell with me. Comcept launched this campaign with a set of promises and goals, and backers paid their money to support those goals. Now that money is being shifted to support "more content." What's that content look like? Well, comcept has this to say:

Exactly what are those stretch goals? We're sorry to say that will have to wait a little while longer! Like we said, we're very busy with many behind-the-scenes things over here, and we apologize if you feel left in the dark. As you can see, the things we have brewing that are keeping us occupied are BIG, and all for the purpose of getting you RED ASH in its biggest, bestest form. That's the reason we're less communicative than we'd like to be!

We know we’re in the final days of our campaign, but we’d like to ask fans to continue their support of RED ASH! Your money is going towards 100% content now, so please look forward to the revised "stretch goals"!

I have no doubt that things at comcept are busy, but this is a bad look. Right now, if you asked a backer of RED ASH what their money was going towards, they couldn't tell you. One of the core tenets of Kickstarter is that projects must be clear and creators must be candid about what they intended to use backer money for.

There's also the lack of communication about RED ASH's "main story" content. The deal with FUZE will pay for the production of the game's prologue chapter, but there's been no mention of the "The New Order Conspiracy."

Finally, I'm a little cautious about FUZE Entertainment itself. While the company does claim to have experienced staff with backgrounds at major companies like Huawei, NVIDIA, and Tencent, FUZE itself has doesn't seem to have any history in game publishing. The company did recently received $9m in loans from Linekong Interactive, a Chinese game company which focuses on mobile and online products, so there is at least a little marketplace faith in the company's future, but that future seems focused on platform production in the Chinese market, not publishing games for worldwide audiences: FUZE's major project is "a console product based on Android system, using the NVIDIA chip with full OpenGL 4.4 support, with better GPU performance than Xbox360/PS3." (Between this and Razer's recent announcement, it looks like there's going to be a serious, Android-based brawl for the Chinese console market.)

If the update comments on RED ASH are any indication, plenty of backers are happy that the game found funding and aren't too worried about where their money is going--and unless the campaign really explodes over the next few days, RED ASH won't meet it's goals and all of this will be a moot point. But I still worry that this sets a bad precedent for future campaigns.

There's been a lot of discussion lately about the lack of transparency in Kickstarter campaigns, and there are still a lot of unanswered questions about what "good" crowdfunding looks like. Do campaigns that set lower goals than they actually need make it harder for developers who give an accurate picture of their needs? Should developers disclose information about funding received from publishers?

Kickstarter has been a great avenue for small teams and independent creators to find audiences, but it also works as a way for big publishers to gauge consumer interest at a low cost only to offload financial risk onto those same fans. It's easy to get excited about new Kickstarter announcements--believe me, I do it too--but it's worth our time to really figure out what we want from crowdfunding now, so that we can have clear expectations of the companies that use it and processes to follow when they fail to meet those expectations.

Homelessbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, that screenshot just looks like a reskinned version of the market area from Mega Men Legends 1.

So I guess I'm saying there better be a soda can I can repeatedly recycle using only my feet to grind money.

Sor_Eddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, at least most Kickstarter scams have the decency to go all the way sketchy AFTER they reach their funding goal, not before.

Notorious_POG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Notorious_POG

Why bother with a kickstarter if you already have a company funding it?

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By BBAlpert

@notorious_pog said:

I imagine the KS was to gauge interest in the first place. In other words, they didn't have that funding secured until after the KS launched and got some acceptable number of backers.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Shortbreadtom

Nope, don't like this. Not one bit.

Also, that FUZE website seems shady as shit. They're saying that they're creating a new games console, and do it by disparaging every console that's currently on the market.

Cogzwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

I'm not sure if you guys have seen Fuze's website but it's full of all these weird callouts and what appear to be xbox one controllers with any identifying markers removed. The website here, at your own risk

Hampe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I like the idea of a new Mega Man Legends, but man this Kickstarter seemed like it was meant to fail right from the start.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@notorious_pog said:

I get the feeling that they didn't have any of this lined up when the Kickstarter campaign began. They barely even had a rough concept for the game much less an actual business plan. It was basically just, "I'm Inafune. Remember Mega Man Legends?! Give me money." It wasn't until they realized people weren't buying into it that they started scrambling to pull together something vaguely resembling an actual plan.

Capasso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is Patrick Klepeck doing in that article picture?

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

The way they framed this whole Kickstarter is the real problem. This "prologue" business was half-baked from the start, speak nothing of the separate anime Kickstarter.

That outside funding came in only further exacerbated the busted structure of this campaign.

RhymesMcFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been backing Kickstarters for years without hiccups, so now being part of what that seems to be falling apart with poor communication for the first time (Project Phoenix for me, though I've had my eye on this due to a childhood love of Megaman Legends) is gd fascinating.

LoktarOgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"One of the core tenants"?

secretfort

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By secretfort

Man, I'm still kinda looking forward to Mighty No. 9 but everything about Red Ash just makes me sad...

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I wasn't upset when I heard Obsidian was going to distribute through Paradox, it's Obsidian's game and was made for the audience that funded it. But if Paradox had showed up and invested and took ownership of the IP, I would have asked for my money back.

If you want grassroots crowdfunding, do that. If you want typical capitalism, do that. Doing both is skeezy in the extreme.

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like Austin is establishing his own set of endearing typos that Giantbomb users can criticize him for.

In regards to Red Ash, I want nothing to do with it until AFTER it is released. Comcept is not establishing themselves as trustworthy right now.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By AMyggen

@cogzwell said:

I'm not sure if you guys have seen Fuze's website but it's full of all these weird callouts and what appear to be xbox one controllers with any identifying markers removed. The website here, at your own risk

uh... that's interesting at least.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Kinda sick of companies basically using kickstarter as a proof of demand to their real investors.

Avanzato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Avanzato

I backed the Anime which also doesn't look that likely to be funded even though they have been better at trying to salvage something from their side of the 'project'.

I also followed but didn't back Red Ash the game from the beginning and it is the most incompetent and shady Kickstarter I've been near. Even the Kickstarter that ran off with my money was more organised.

It was obvious from the start that Comcept just expected the money to roll in and when it stopped coming after the first 2-3 days they had no plan B.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This really makes Comcept look unprofessional, thinking that fans will just lash onto anything the least bit nostalgic. I mean if this was a sequel to The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, THEN we would be talking, but everything about this just seems lame.

Avanzato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Avanzato

It's loosing backers, and Kicktraq has just gone negative. I wonder if that will continue?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@avanzato said:

It's loosing backers, and Kicktraq has just gone negative. I wonder if that will continue?

They had no chance of hitting their goal, so they weren't getting any of that backer money anyway. It's just rubbing salt in the wound at this point.

mythus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i wish i can pull my kickstart for mn9. Comcept is pretty sleazy. Kamiya was right.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I've never been a big fan of "Let's kickstart our next game before our first kickstarter game comes out" (as a backer of Torment: Tides of Numenera I'm also a hypocrite) but this is its own level of shady.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Kickstarter is based on trust, you won't get any if you asks for people's money promising a product you've laid out and half way though change said plans, like changing the charming and well designed 2D sprites in to dull generic looking characters.

Lungjaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Lungjaw
    No Caption Provided

Fuze appears to have stolen and appropriated art from several places. If the Master Chief image wasn't blatant enough, Dan LuVisi of "Last Man Standing" fame found some of his work stolen today. It's a horrible practice that is unfortunately not uncommon.

RadassBadass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So what was the point of the kickstarter?

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The same reason Shenmue used Kickstarter to supplement their venture funding.

Wagrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By Wagrid

@cogzwell: That website is really strange. It's got at least a couple of pictures of Master Chief on there. And one picture of Master Chief next to an Ouya.

Griffinmills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Griffinmills

Excellent article and critical thinking here Austin Walker. I can only hope we get some answers to questions like these.

I don't especially care about homonym typos and think folks should just send a pm if they care enough to correct.

butteredtoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By butteredtoast

That is one shitty pitch video. I've seen two-man teams on Kickstarter put together a more compelling and coherent argument for why I should part with my money.

megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

#32  Edited By megalowho

This whole ordeal has been pretty bizarre and not a good look for Inafune and Comcept. Considering they were in discussions to secure full funding and keep IP rights no matter how the Kickstarter did, even from a relatively unknown Chinese "publisher," can't help but wonder why they went to Kickstarter in the first place. Because MN9 raked in the cash, no doubt, and with the lack of transparency and half hearted campaign for an incomplete product (plus the whole anime/movie angle) it's hard not to take a cynical view on the company's approach to crowdfunding.

evan_buchholz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

This FUZE "console" is apparently already supposed to be released...

LarryDavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Ash has always seemed like a borderline scam, but this just seals it.

I kinda hope Capcom sues them over the blatant Tiesel Bonne ripoff. Comcept so far has done nothing but trade on nostalgia and not-quite-copyright infringement.

eddiephlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still think it was too early for them to launch another ks. There was no easy I was going to back this before mighty no. 9 came out

Durre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lungjaw said:
    No Caption Provided

Fuze appears to have stolen and appropriated art from several places. If the Master Chief image wasn't blatant enough, Dan LuVisi of "Last Man Standing" fame found some of his work stolen today. It's a horrible practice that is unfortunately not uncommon.

Man, China. Don't. Care.

shozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mythus: Same. I wanted to fund a game not an entire cross platform media strategy.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@lungjaw said:
    No Caption Provided

Man, China. Don't. Care.

I can't actually tell if they've even done anything. Their Product page simply shows the above and they apparently have some console coming out in June 2015.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atomicoldman: just a couple of crazy kids dreaming about halo on an ouya.

Like its a competitor anyway.

mayor_mccheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seeing how Keiji Inafune is doing this and his Mighty No. 9 live action movie, it's all kind of a bit much. Dude needs to focus on finishing his other stuff first.

LoktarOgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seeing how Keiji Inafune is doing this and his Mighty No. 9 live action movie, it's all kind of a bit much. Dude needs to focus on finishing his other stuff first.

This just in, Inafune is a hack who criticizes Japanese developers for not being creative, left Capcom, and went on to create bootleg Mega Man games with a different company. More as the story developes and he starts begging for money for the umpteenth time.

kalos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

As happy as I am that fans of Mega Man Legends will finally get a follow up, there are elements of this announcement that sit unwell with me. Comcept launched this campaign with a set of promises and goals, and backers paid their money to support those goals. Now that money is being shifted to support "more content."

If I backed the kickstarter and then went on an internet blackout until this game was released, wouldn't I still be getting what I put my money up for? They're still going to meet all of the promises of the base level kickstart campaign, right? I'd assume that's why it looks like they only lost net 22 backers ($2k!): http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/mightyno9/red-ash-the-indelible-legend/#chart-daily

But it is really weird to have a kickstarter that's entirely stretch goals without saying what those goals are for. Why would anyone back it now? (Unless they expect $25 is a discounted price?)

Avatar image for deactivated-58a3c9b2cc154
    deactivated-58a3c9b2cc154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If people are stupid optimistic enough to donate money to this company, let them. What's been shown of Mighty Number 9 (not counting the concept art) looks uninspiring to say the least.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#45  Edited By Yummylee

@loktarogar said:
    @mayor_mccheese said:

This just in, Inafune is a hack who criticizes Japanese developers for not being creative, left Capcom, and went on to create bootleg Mega Man games with a different company. More as the story developes and he starts begging for money for the umpteenth time.

Maybe Kamiya wasn't totally off the mark...

Avanzato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So is Game Informer correct that Mighty number 9 has been delayed to 2016?

Super shady if true.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 chaser324  Moderator

@avanzato said:

So is Game Informer correct that Mighty number 9 has been delayed to 2016?

Super shady if true.

Yeah...if that delay rumor is true, all of this Red Ash business starts to look even worse. Comcept need to hurry up and get out in front of this and confirm or deny it really quick.

krampasYulog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that Fuze website took me back to more than a few sites I remember visiting in 1997

JRM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This company is looking greasy as fuck right now.

Substance_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Substance_D

Comcept is getting pretty thirsty...I hope Recore ends up being a real game at the very least.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.