Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

100+ Things You Want Rockstar to fix in the next Red Dead

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By schizogony

Complaints is why Mass Effect 2 plays so much better than Mass Effect 1.  

I think we should complain about RDR (because it gets plenty of well-earned praise, what with it being GOTY and all) and let's get ourselves a perfecter sequel: 

1. Less getting hung up on door jambs and other stuff. Use Euphoria for an even higher degree of limb interaction with nearby objects. In Real Life™ (IRL ™) people brush their hands off of walls when running next to them for guidance and stability. Backbreaker shows us that NaturalMotion is making great leaps in realistic limb interaction, weight shifting, inertia and locomotion of in-game humans. I'm confident Rockstar Sand Diego will keep on making it more and more true to life (and still fun).
    2. Horses that don't leap to their death when left alone near a cliff

Please add to the list and feel free to quote ones you like and discuss them.
    Jecrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jecrell

3. Better economy. At some point money is no longer meaningful and the player has nothing worthwhile to buy. The economy needs to be better balanced in future games so that there's always something new and useful to purchase at game stores.
     4. Immediate challenge rewards. Rather than making a player go through a ton of challenges before receiving rewards, start giving them out right away. Unique weapons, items, horses, RPG-esque ability buffs are all great and makes the work to the maximum challenge level more meaningful and makes the grinding feel like less than it is.
    5. Train robberies. Why the hell is this not in the game already?
    6. Make skinning worthwhile. If I'm going to skin every animal alive, I'd like it to contribute to something other than a few dollars. If it's just meant to be sold then have it automatically sell, otherwise have it contribute to something e.g. an outfit. One way to make this somewhat more interesting is to break up the outfit into pieces and then use furs and skins from various animals to make yourself an outfit of various hides.

Kazzurak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Kazzurak

7. No more outfits, just items you can purchase / find and equip instead of full sets. (fx why cant i wear the mexican hat with my legend of the west outfit etc.)

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By MysteriousBob

All I want is a more flushed out online mode. Make it more like an MMO (or at least what I imagine an MMO game to be like).

This game is otherwise excellent in my book.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By MarkWahlberg

More understandable motivations for each specific mission, and a wider range of dialogue for the main character besides 'I'm lookin fer 2 dewds!'. God freakin dammit, Marston, we get it already!

chrisnadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By chrisnadon

More work done to catch all those annoying glitches, like when you're picking up a hog-tied bounty, your character picks up an invisible guy and can't put him down again, or you can, but the image-picture of him stays on the ground. I was like wtf?

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By mosdl
    @MysteriousBob said:
    " All I want is a more flushed out online mode. Make it more like an MMO (or at least what I imagine an MMO game to be like).  This game is otherwise excellent in my book. "
    The online mode is the biggest surprise for me.   Having more players and more modes (stagecoach - defend or attack) would be a great addition.  The PvP (Posse vs) is a lot of fun.

Was part of a full posse, and this guy logs in and starts killing on the members.  This is followed by 20 minutes of the entire posse hunting him down each time he spawns, fully coordinated via voice chat.
    schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By schizogony

12. Melee for when someone runs up in your face (different than the knife). I'm talking a gun butt to the face just to get someone off you. Too many times (in either multi or single player) someone gets so close to me that I can't even get my gun on them. In real life a person would just elbow or gun butt their attacker.

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By schizogony
    @mosdl said:

" @MysteriousBob said:

" All I want is a more flushed out online mode. Make it more like an MMO (or at least what I imagine an MMO game to be like).  This game is otherwise excellent in my book. "
    The online mode is the biggest surprise for me.   Having more players and more modes (stagecoach - defend or attack) would be a great addition.  The PvP (Posse vs) is a lot of fun. Was part of a full posse, and this guy logs in and starts killing on the members.  This is followed by 20 minutes of the entire posse hunting him down each time he spawns, fully coordinated via voice chat. "
    A similar yet completely opposite story involves me attacking a full posse of eight, trapping them in a bottleneck as they tried to get from one part of the map to the other. It was sad to watch as six members of their posse just stood on one side of the bottleneck while two poor kids (they sounded 11) kept spawning and trying to get to the other side to join their posse. I could hear them getting so pissed, calling me a bully and just generally whining. 

Why the entire posse didn't gang up on me and help those two members get across is beyond me. The six other dudes just sat there and kept telling the two stragglers to hurry up. Not good teamwork.  

But I had fun.
    jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By jonnyboy

I want the D-pad to actually do something useful. Instead of just down to make the tiny shitty map tinier and shittier, how about we have down to select the last used rifle left for the lasso, and right for the last used pistol. I hate the fact that the radial menu doesn't pause the game, riding a horse, trying to keep an eye on a bandit and having to fumble around for a lasso in a pain in the arse.

Also I can't work out why the backpack is on the back button, why would I ever need a hotkey for inventory? Yet the journal and map are in the start menu.

Lastly the multiplayer menus and game cycling is a confusing mess. Since they want free roam to be kind of a hub, how about having a Burnout Paradise style online system (arguably the best thing about that game was it's online setup).

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

I want less animations. There doesn't have to be a tiny animation for everything I do.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By niamahai
    @MarkWahlberg said:
    " More understandable motivations for each specific mission, and a wider range of dialogue for the main character besides 'I'm lookin fer 2 dewds!'. God freakin dammit, Marston, we get it already! "
    but.. GTA4's fabulous Florian is a welcomed surprise!

I find RDR narration really good, 'cause they kinda tricked you the game is going to end, but then OH MY GOD IT STILL GOES ON!
    more games should do this imo.

anyhows, i hope Rockstar can shake up the "Go Point A shoot Person B take Person C to Point D" formula a bit.
    Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Teran
    @schizogony: Close range shooting kills usually initiate an execute attack that one hit kills the target.  Unless I'm mistaken, the knife is in the game to allow for stealth kills which is something a gun butt is probably less efficient at.
    schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By schizogony
    @Teran said:

" @schizogony: Close range shooting kills usually initiate an execute attack that one hit kills the target.  Unless I'm mistaken, the knife is in the game to allow for stealth kills which is something a gun butt is probably less efficient at. "

Well, I'm talking about multiplayer specifically, which doesn't do that up-close headshot animation (I don't think) . You're left spinning around like an idiot trying to avoid the person who just found you while you try to am for him, but you're dead before you can even get in the right position to shoot the guy. In real life, I'd just knock him back, then shoot... or just do that damn close-up headshot animation that happens in singleplayer.
    Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Teran
    @schizogony: Ohh I see, I haven't played enough open world to know if the execute thing can happen.   

If that's the case they should probably just have a dedicated melee attack button that works with all weapons but gains significant bonuses if a melee weapon like the knife or pseudo melee weapon like the throwing knife is equipped. 

I was actually a little disappointed playing through that we saw a variety of weapon upgrades for the guns but none for the knife... hell they should have added it to one of the knife kill hunter challenges like the bear or cougars.
    Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Barrock

I would've completely gutted the online mode and expanded single player even further. But that's just me.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#17  Edited By sjschmidt93

13?. Less mashing X to run.

Avatar image for i_love_eva_braun
    I_love_Eva_Braun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By I_love_Eva_Braun

more freedom in outfit customization ,not too much,but I would love to have the option to choose from several hats,boots,etc.

an option to skip skinning animations

Coldfront

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Coldfront
    @I_love_Eva_Braun said:
    " more freedom in outfit customization ,not too much,but I would love to have the option to choose from several hats,boots,etc.  an option to skip skinning animations "
    I second this. I always appreciated when the game glitched and skipped the animation. 

As much fun as hunting down animals was it could be frustrating when I couldn't find an animal for a challenge even when I was in the supposed correct area. Granted after looking around for a while they would appear but some animals should be easier to find or at least be where they should be.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.