2+ hours in, not feeling it...

#1 Posted by acas2011 (44 posts) -

So, I am now well over two hours of playtime in, and I am still doing missions such as distracting guards and herding cattle. How much longer until this game opens up? Or will I always be this bored? I've heard such great things about this game, and I'm not really seeing any of it. I am seriously tempted to return this game to Gamefly.

#2 Posted by memo (421 posts) -
@acas2011: its kinda slow at the begging it picks up trust me. just hang in there dude.
#3 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

I don't think any of us can determine whether you will like the rest of the game or not. I enjoyed it.

#4 Posted by humbug (18 posts) -

For what it's worth, try to immerse yourself into the game environment as much as possible. Put on some nice headphones, play late at night by yourself, and sip on some good 12 year. You'll be feeling the isolation in no time! 

The story twists were the big draw for me.  I didn't think they could pull off that tone since they're famous for GTA. Hope you dig it soon. 

#5 Posted by awesomeusername (4177 posts) -
@acas2011: I'm currently playing it. I also find the wanted posters and random encounters pretty annoying too but the main story missions are pretty fun. The characters and acting is really good and the gameplay feels tight. Also, the setting is pretty different from most games and I hear it starts getting good when you get to Mexico. Do 2-3 main missions and after that, do some side quests and repeat. Unless you're on a clock for the game, just blow through the story mode. I heard it's really good.
#6 Edited by Animasta (14677 posts) -
@humbug said:

" For what it's worth, try to immerse yourself into the game environment as much as possible. Put on some nice headphones, play late at night by yourself, and sip on some good 12 year. You'll be feeling the isolation in no time!  The story twists were the big draw for me.  I didn't think they could pull off that tone since they're famous for GTA. Hope you dig it soon.  "

any game where you have to do other things while playing to immerse yourself isn't a good game. A good game immerses you, not the other way around.

I feel for you OP, I sent it back after like 4 hours. the story, characters weren't particularly interesting, the humor wasn't even there (there was at least some lackluster humor in GTAIV) oh and also the game was kinda boring.
#7 Posted by acas2011 (44 posts) -

Well it is definitely more fun doing the missions with gun battles and stuff, especially the mission where you get the machine gun and have to shoot dudes while riding on a mining cart. But I still find myself bored a lot of the time. I'll keep trucking though. Thanks everyone!

#8 Posted by JasonR86 (9659 posts) -
@acas2011: 

It takes some time to get good.  Even when it is good it has some slow bits and slugs along.  But it's worth it.  Especially for the final acts.
#9 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

Its probably not the game for you. Play a bit more though, just in case, but its probably just not for you. I for one, loved it.

#10 Posted by acas2011 (44 posts) -

Well, I'm glad I pushed on because after another hour or so, I fell in love. That game was incredible, and I'm so happy that I didn't give up on it.

#11 Posted by EdTwo (472 posts) -

my favorite game in many years. i would keep playing if i were you

#12 Posted by acas2011 (44 posts) -

Yeah, I finished it and loved every minute from just before Mexico to the end.

#13 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -
@acas2011: 
did u really like spending time with Jack?  such an annoying character...
#14 Posted by Shadow (4979 posts) -

It ramps up slowly, but it almost never stops ramping up.

#15 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

If you don't find Red Dead Redemption immersive, stick to something like baby's first horror where no attempt at immersion is ever made so you have nothing to worry about.

#16 Posted by GlenTennis (3145 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
" If you don't find Red Dead Redemption immersive, stick to something like baby's first horror where no attempt at immersion is ever made so you have nothing to worry about. "
Woah man, I loved both and thought they both did a good job at what they were going for.

Anyway, I felt the same way. It wasn't until I was doing the missions for the snake oil salesman that I thought the game picked up.
#17 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

It starts off kinda slow, but just try and get into the enviroment, immerse yourselfs, go and hunt some animals or take on some bountys or just go and play some cards
#18 Posted by Enigma777 (6071 posts) -

It takes a while to romp up though it's never a balls-out crazy game.

#19 Posted by DeShawn2ks (1052 posts) -

I liked the game from the start but I will say the first few missions are kinda slow. I say once you get passed all the Bonnie missions is when it starts to really pick up.

#20 Edited by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

Have you played GTA 3? It's the same thing only with horses and more super-self-serious pretence.

#21 Posted by fontainefellow (171 posts) -

Yeah, once you complete all the tutorial and beginning farming missions, the game starts to pick up.

#22 Posted by swamplord666 (1758 posts) -

you're still in the tutorial section. Just keep at it. 

#23 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -
@acas2011: Yeah it's a bit slow. Give it another couple of hours. Everything you do for that blonde chick is basically tutorial stuff.

@awesomeusername: You haven't finished the game, and think it's "pretty fun"....and you use it as your avatar?
#24 Posted by awesomeusername (4177 posts) -
@Vodun: You don't have to beat the game in order to think it's fun. Unless you're suggesting games aren't fun until you've completely beaten it, then I don't know what to tell you. And to let you know, I beat the game about a month ago and found it to be one of the best games I have ever played.
#25 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -
@awesomeusername said:
" @Vodun: You don't have to beat the game in order to think it's fun. Unless you're suggesting games aren't fun until you've completely beaten it, then I don't know what to tell you. And to let you know, I beat the game about a month ago and found it to be one of the best games I have ever played. "
Heh, I didn't realize how old this post was =P Your original post seemed very unsure of your feelings towards the game. That's why it seemed odd to use it as an avatar =)
#26 Posted by awesomeusername (4177 posts) -
@Vodun: Oh, alright. I loved the game when I started out, I just found too many random encounters and they got pretty annoying whenever I was robbed for my horse or ambushed by lying woman. It was so annoying.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.