Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

A cast of Rockstars

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

Red Dead Redemption is in many ways a therapeutic release.

The Game Is Solid 

That review might be blunt but it does contain everything you need to know. The ability for us to take advantage of technical consistency is rare, and should be leapt upon. What makes Rockstar such a great developer is their understanding of character design and their implementation of moral cause and effect. The proficiency of Red Dead Redemption as a virtual adventure transcends typical review doctrine and allows us to focus on the meat of the experience. If this was a book we would be discussing character dynamics, not spelling mistakes.

Seth Briars
    Seth Briars

Seth is one of my favourite characters in Red Dead Redemption.

In the lawless Wild West he fit's perfectly - an environment in which people essentially had to govern themselves, choosing their own morality, because the law simply wasn't resourceful enough. Rockstar is granted the freedom to explore a much darker realm of this lawlessness through it's characters and Seth is an excellent example of that; He's a grave robbing lunatic. Hypnotic to watch in action, Seth instils a fascinated horror as he lurches from grave to grave. His presence is an excellent example of what makes Rockstar games so dynamic. His tone and general aesthetic have been pitched perfectly. The character feels alive, his existence outside our perspective remains constant. The world that Rockstar have created contains a constant entity called Seth. He also makes a favourable contrast to the disgusting decency of the McFarlanes who are fair, honest people. Their capable spectrum as characters has transparent limits and have long ceased to engage. I resent being forced to act so gentlemanly in their presence when I am clearly a fucking sociopath. The character of John Marston is not complex, and should not be treated as such.  

No Caption Provided

Obvious similarities may be drawn to Niko Bellic in that his passive diplomacy makes him an ideal candidate to explore the extremes of his surrounding cast. However there are times when Marston feels almost completely hollow and lifeless, spouting threats almost automatically and with no real conviction - and most frustratingly, at times when threats are just unnecessary. Whilst I appreciate Marston operates purely to achieve his goals it can be very aggrivating watching him repeatedly insult and threaten the characters who are much more interesting than he himself. Niko humoured and sympathised with his comrades and, at the very least, offered some enthusiasm when screaming "I'm going to rip your fucking head off!". Marston just looks and sounds bored, which can detract from the entire experience.  
    Whilst Marston has seemingly been cast as reliable whereas Niko was generally more spontaneous. It might be a result of the hidden presence of Marstons driving force: When Niko is rushing to save Roman we have an empathy for the character we are trying to preserve. Marston kills to save his wife and child, absent, and as such we have no way of associating to his sense of loss if they were to die. They aren't characters I care about and consequently I have no enthusiasm to keep them alive. I just want to explore. 

No Caption Provided

Red Dead Redemption does have a sobriety which makes it a lot darker that Grand Theft Auto 4, probably due to the lack of sarcastic advertising constantly ringing in your ears. The expanse is vast, silent and full of things trying to kill you. One feels small within it. There is humour, still, but it is dry and subtle. The game is usually slow and reflective, which is a nice change of pace.  

I don't know how much of Red Dead Redemption I am yet to experience but I only just landed in Mexico so i'm assuming there is a sizeable chunk left to play. Unfortunately I have exams in a week and I am dramatically under-prepared so, for now, I am taking a videogame hiatus. I shall still be using giantbomb but don't expect to see me on Xbox Live or Steam. 

Thanks For Reading 
    Love Sweep
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Red Dead Redemption is in many ways a therapeutic release.

The Game Is Solid 

That review might be blunt but it does contain everything you need to know. The ability for us to take advantage of technical consistency is rare, and should be leapt upon. What makes Rockstar such a great developer is their understanding of character design and their implementation of moral cause and effect. The proficiency of Red Dead Redemption as a virtual adventure transcends typical review doctrine and allows us to focus on the meat of the experience. If this was a book we would be discussing character dynamics, not spelling mistakes.

Seth Briars
    Seth Briars

Seth is one of my favourite characters in Red Dead Redemption.

In the lawless Wild West he fit's perfectly - an environment in which people essentially had to govern themselves, choosing their own morality, because the law simply wasn't resourceful enough. Rockstar is granted the freedom to explore a much darker realm of this lawlessness through it's characters and Seth is an excellent example of that; He's a grave robbing lunatic. Hypnotic to watch in action, Seth instils a fascinated horror as he lurches from grave to grave. His presence is an excellent example of what makes Rockstar games so dynamic. His tone and general aesthetic have been pitched perfectly. The character feels alive, his existence outside our perspective remains constant. The world that Rockstar have created contains a constant entity called Seth. He also makes a favourable contrast to the disgusting decency of the McFarlanes who are fair, honest people. Their capable spectrum as characters has transparent limits and have long ceased to engage. I resent being forced to act so gentlemanly in their presence when I am clearly a fucking sociopath. The character of John Marston is not complex, and should not be treated as such.  

No Caption Provided

Obvious similarities may be drawn to Niko Bellic in that his passive diplomacy makes him an ideal candidate to explore the extremes of his surrounding cast. However there are times when Marston feels almost completely hollow and lifeless, spouting threats almost automatically and with no real conviction - and most frustratingly, at times when threats are just unnecessary. Whilst I appreciate Marston operates purely to achieve his goals it can be very aggrivating watching him repeatedly insult and threaten the characters who are much more interesting than he himself. Niko humoured and sympathised with his comrades and, at the very least, offered some enthusiasm when screaming "I'm going to rip your fucking head off!". Marston just looks and sounds bored, which can detract from the entire experience.  
    Whilst Marston has seemingly been cast as reliable whereas Niko was generally more spontaneous. It might be a result of the hidden presence of Marstons driving force: When Niko is rushing to save Roman we have an empathy for the character we are trying to preserve. Marston kills to save his wife and child, absent, and as such we have no way of associating to his sense of loss if they were to die. They aren't characters I care about and consequently I have no enthusiasm to keep them alive. I just want to explore. 

No Caption Provided

Red Dead Redemption does have a sobriety which makes it a lot darker that Grand Theft Auto 4, probably due to the lack of sarcastic advertising constantly ringing in your ears. The expanse is vast, silent and full of things trying to kill you. One feels small within it. There is humour, still, but it is dry and subtle. The game is usually slow and reflective, which is a nice change of pace.  

I don't know how much of Red Dead Redemption I am yet to experience but I only just landed in Mexico so i'm assuming there is a sizeable chunk left to play. Unfortunately I have exams in a week and I am dramatically under-prepared so, for now, I am taking a videogame hiatus. I shall still be using giantbomb but don't expect to see me on Xbox Live or Steam. 

Thanks For Reading 
    Love Sweep
    Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Disgaeamad

Red Dead Stinx

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By xyzygy

Nice review. I was very pleased as well to see that there wasn't constant sarcasm in RDR like there is in GTA games. If you look in the newspaper there is some, like the toilet which looks "just like a chair!" but that's about it. 

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude

Seth is pretty damn awesome, even his horse looked like him, nothing but ribs and skin.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By buzz_clik
    @Sweep:  Gah! All this talk about RDR makes me so antsy to play it, but I've got other things on my plate at the moment, too. I wasn't really into GTAIV, but I think I was just burned out on the whole urban crime thing in that series. Western action seems a wholly more appealing prospect at this point, especially because our national TV broadcaster has been playing weekly Clint Eastwood films recently.

@Disgaeamad said:
    " Red Dead Stinx "
    An insightful rebuttal.
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Disgaeamad:  

No Caption Provided
    Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Disgaeamad
    @Sweep: At first I was like "OH FUCK IT IS ON NOW" but then I realised that cheap imitations can't beat the real thing. However, I will flip a table. Yeah.

(ノ `Д´)ノ ~┻━┻
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Jeust

good luck on the exams!

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nekroskop

Meanwhile behind a crouching John Marshton: 

No Caption Provided

This pretty much sums up the last 4 hours I had with this game
    darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By darkvare

have you heard the story of general diego ingame? i decided to stop at a bonfire and a guy told me the tale about how 3 americans killed general diego 30 years ago the names of the americans anny stokes jack swift and of course red

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By JJWeatherman

I didn't find Seth nearly as enthralling. I in fact, was kind of annoyed by him. The rest of the characters are great though. 

I haven't finished the game though, maybe Seth will make an appearance later and win me over... Nah, I doubt it.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By FunExplosions

Seth is badass. And I don't mean to ruin anything by this, but this game does indeed suffer from the GTA disease, where you will meet some awesome people, leave, then never see them again. And like xyzxgy said, I agree with you, and find the whole absence of constant half-assed sarcasm sooo refreshing. I will also say that I'm too a bit disappointed by what Marston turned out to be. The screenshots of him had me expecting some cold-hearted killer, not some soft-spoken boy scout.

HS21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By HS21

Good blog, will read again.  

Honestly, I had no idea you wrote this :p  That's some fucking clairvoyance though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.