Any issues with PS3 version?

#1 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Okay so with no news of a PC version of RDR on the horizon, I plan on biting the bullet and getting it on PS3. But I don't want there to be some Bayonetta-esque fiasco in which the PS3 version is completely gimped in comparison to another version. If that's the case then I'll try my luck and wait for a PC version. Can anyone provide me with some insight on this topic? Thanks.

#2 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2718 posts) -

As I understand, it looks a little worse than on 360 but otherwise, it's fine.

#3 Posted by Zajtalan (1163 posts) -

Yes, I own and have beaten it on the PS3. It's fine and dandy.

#4 Posted by AlexW00d (6168 posts) -

Well the game, like all multi-platforms, was developed for 360 and then ported to PS3, but other than the problems that plague both versions, there are no extra problems.

#5 Edited by Surkov (991 posts) -

I played it to completion on PS3 and there were no issues. I'd highly recommend it.   

The differences between the 360 version and PS3 version are so minuscule it's not even worth talking about.  Nothing to the effect of a Bayonetta or Orange Box. 

Go buy it if you're interested.   

#6 Posted by ThePickle (4153 posts) -

Not that I've seen in my extensive RDR playtime. 

#7 Posted by ShadowKnight508 (659 posts) -
@Surkov said:
" I played it to completion on PS3 and there were no issues. I'd highly recommend it.    The differences between the 360 version and PS3 version are so minuscule it's not even worth talking about.  Nothing to the effect of a Bayonetta or Orange Box.  Go buy it if you're interested.    "
You will not be disappointed by this game. Especially with the awesome Undead Nightmare DLC...pure genius.
#8 Posted by Australia (126 posts) -

Nar dude it is all good. Some frame rate issues from time to time but I hear that is common among both versions, but it is nothing that really detracts from the experience, just a very slight annoyance. 

#9 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -
@AlexW00d said:
" Well the game, like all multi-platforms, was developed for 360 and then ported to PS3, but other than the problems that plague both versions, there are no extra problems. "
Most games are developed on PCs actually.  Since the XBox is basically a PC, moving it over is easier.

The PS3 version is great, same bugs as the 360 and still looks great.
#10 Posted by moelarrycurly (668 posts) -

The only problem with it is that it will steal hours of your life.

#11 Posted by AlexW00d (6168 posts) -
@mosdl: All games a developed with PCs if that is what you mean... But no, these days most games are developed for Xbox 360 then ported over to PS3, and a lot of the time ported to PC aswell, which is part of the reason a lot of multi platform games on the PC are pretty pants.
#12 Posted by DeF (4776 posts) -

there is absolutely nothing wrong with the ps3 version of the game. bugs are shared between both versions and they said they don't wanna do a PC port so just go for the PS3 version and be a happy cowboy :D

#13 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -

The game always felt like it was running a bit sluggish on PS3, and it looks blurrier than the 360 version. But overall, it's good. 

#14 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

Nope not at all. 
#15 Posted by Eristocrat (439 posts) -

I felt fine to me on the PS3 (though I am no graphics whore).  Looked good, ran stably and I hardly ran into any bugs for a game of that size. 

#16 Edited by ocdog45 (675 posts) -

I decided to get this for the holidays and kill time. I honestly don't like western games and had no interest but with all the buzz I had to check it out. I don't know if it’s the disk or the game but at certain times I loose audio and I have to turn off the game to get it to work again. In the "Spare the Rod, Spoil the Bandit" mission I had to start over 5 times because of glitch I stated earlier. It’s happen during multiplayer as well and it stops saving my progress. Now is the disc or the game?    

#17 Posted by BBQBram (2199 posts) -

That has to be the disc.

#18 Posted by RobotHamster (4170 posts) -

I got the ps3 version and it plays perfectly for me.

#19 Posted by coakroach (2486 posts) -

It runs fine and I think you get an extra outfit (Waltons Gang?)

#20 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -
@Geno said:
" Okay so with no news of a PC version of RDR on the horizon, I plan on biting the bullet and getting it on PS3. But I don't want there to be some Bayonetta-esque fiasco in which the PS3 version is completely gimped in comparison to another version. If that's the case then I'll try my luck and wait for a PC version. Can anyone provide me with some insight on this topic? Thanks. "
I´ve played both versions and as like most people say diferences are so minimal it doesn´t really matter...  For me the ps3 version has better textures but in the other hand the Xbox one has better resolution. In this case i would say it comes down to personal taste.
#21 Posted by The_Philosopher (570 posts) -
@Geno: It actually has 2 extra hideouts. So it's slightly better. 
#22 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5796 posts) -

PS3 version is fine. 

I had no issues with it apart from glitches, which I think were pretty common on both platforms.

#23 Posted by fraser (478 posts) -

I put about 250 hours into RDR last year on the ps3 and suffered from no major problems apart from it locking up 2 or 3 times.

But my PS3 did decide to lock up then YLOD last month so it may well have been my ps3. And the game autosaves so frequently it was never too much of a problem.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.