Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

Anyone know how the gunplay will be?

Raindog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Raindog

Watching movies on this game makes my jaw drop. I love westerns. Deadwood was one of the best series ever. And the game looks incredibly polished. But. How is the gunplay? Will it feature the same type of lock on as in GTA4? Or is it more free like Gears of war/Uncharted etc? I sure hope its like gears/uncharted... Watching the movies I can't really tell. So. Anyone know?

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By nanikore

No one has played it. We don't know.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By danielkempster

I don't know for certain, but given it's being built on the RAGE engine that Rockstar used for GTAIV, I'd expect it to use similar gunplay mechanics. That being said, the Giant Bomb Wiki page says the developers are implementing something called Dead Eye targeting, which apparently works a bit like bullet time, only it's more Western-y.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By chaser324  Moderator  Online

The most recent gameplay video makes it look like it's going to be very similar to GTA IV. 

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By habster3

First comment by me in several months! Anyway, basically what they said.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By CaptainTightPants

The basic shooting looks very similar to GTA4 however you can do that Dead Eye thing from the first Red Dead along with a few other cool tricks,  

Raindog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Raindog

God damn it. Guess ill pass on this game then.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Raindog said:
    " God damn it. Guess ill pass on this game then. "
    LOL you're funny. You realize you can turn the auto-aim off, right?
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Andorski

The only thing I didn't like about GTA IV's aiming system was the "half trigger for aim, full trigger for lock-on" control scheme.  A lot of times I would lock on to someone by accident.  I hope they figure out another way to work around this.

Raindog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Raindog
    @Andorski said:
    " The only thing I didn't like about GTA IV's aiming system was the "half trigger for aim, full trigger for lock-on" control scheme.  A lot of times I would lock on to someone by accident.  I hope they figure out another way to work around this. "
    Personally I do not like it when a game does the work for me. Some aim assist like in Bioshock I have no problem with. But full on auto aim is just not fun for me.
    danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By danielkempster
    @Raindog said:
    You're going to pass on what looks to be an astounding game (as you mentioned in your opening post) because of a feature that, as JJOR64 says, you'll almost certainly be able to turn off anyway? That's pretty insane, duder.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrKlorox
    @dankempster said:
    " ...as JJOR64 says, you'll almost certainly be able to turn off anyway... "
    Crap. I guess I need to get a new avatar. I figured multiple non-Nintendo drawn cartoon Marios would be able to exist simultaneously on a videogame forum without confusion, but his image did cross my mind as being a little similar when I uploaded it.
    Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Capum15

Looks similar to GTA IV. Won't mind that, the aiming was fine.

Game looks awesome as hell.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Skytylz

This looks good...

Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
    deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

One of the older videos they put out made a big deal out of enemies reacting to the "true momentum" of each shot, so hopefully they're putting a lot of effort into making the shooting feel natural.  I just started playing GTAIV yesterday, and I'm not in love with the shooting there.  Haven't turned auto-aim off; I'll have to try that and see if it helps.  Something just doesn't feel right about it.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DystopiaX

yeah...it looks so badass. You don't need to use the deadeye stuff, as people have mentioned, and the physics and the way the guns work make them seem like they feel so powerful. Definitely looking forward to this.

steelharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By steelharrison
    @Raindog said:
    "God damn it. Guess ill pass on this game then. "

horrible decision... your loss not mine tho I will deffenitly be buying this game
    cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cooljammer00

They should just put aiming on L1, shoot on R1.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ryax

you mean besides awesome?

Raindog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Raindog
    @dankempster said:

" @Raindog said:

You're going to pass on what looks to be an astounding game (as you mentioned in your opening post) because of a feature that, as JJOR64 says, you'll almost certainly be able to turn off anyway? That's pretty insane, duder. "
    If im going to pass on an action game if I don't like the action? Damn straight. But nor you or me knows if that will be the case. GTA4 was, too me, horrible in that aspect though.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Andorski said:
    "half trigger for aim, full trigger for lock-on"
    Yeah, I didn't much like that either.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The shooting on the PC version of GTA4 was awesome. Felt meaty and fluid; didn't use auto-aim though.

WTF_BBQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By WTF_BBQ

amazing?

Avatar image for angre_leperkan439
    Angre_Leperkan439

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know, with the Euphoria physics, I'm really hoping that each shot really has a bigger impact. In GTA4(I loved and still love that game today), it kinda seemed like your bullets had very little affect on the victim. They fell to the ground, slowly, and died. In RDR, I hope you shoot somebody with the revolver, and they go down like a  brick. Ya know? Just BOOM THUD. That'd be awesome. Either way tho, Imma be getting this fersuresies

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pweidman

R* recently announced 3 diff options for the shooting.  Full assist for newbs, partial assist will be normal, and then no assist pure aim for those so inclined.  That should help some people find a comfort zone.  I'm more worried about a fluid cover system...I hated the GTA4 version, that and the crappy aiming half trigger biz.  Some sites that have played it say it's much improved and fluid, while others have said it is very reminicent of GTA4.   I'll wait for Jeff to preview and see what he says, ......even though he loved GTA4 as I recall.
    MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MrSnow

I've been hearing GTA 4

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Whitestripes09

It doesnt look like it has lock-on so to speak, but there is definitely some sort of auto aim.

myslead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By myslead

aiming is decided according to the difficulty you guys are playing  

apparently the last difficulty will be having free-aiming.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By Sackmanjones

Its supposed to be much better then gta4

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By TheHT

i thought the difficulty in aiming options were for dead eye only and everything else is free aim. :s

Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Potter9156

Yes, the aiming is akin to GTAIV, though more precise and polished. There will be three difficulty settings: easy, full auto aim. Medium, pull the left trigger and the reticule will snap to the nearest target and lock on for a second. Hard, zero aim assistance. 

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By landon
    @Raindog said:
    " @dankempster said:

" @Raindog said:

You're going to pass on what looks to be an astounding game (as you mentioned in your opening post) because of a feature that, as JJOR64 says, you'll almost certainly be able to turn off anyway? That's pretty insane, duder. "
    If im going to pass on an action game if I don't like the action? Damn straight. But nor you or me knows if that will be the case. GTA4 was, too me, horrible in that aspect though. "
    You can turn the auto aim off. No one is forcing you to play that way. What you are saying is the equivilant of: 

I only play hard games, does this game have an easy mode?
    Yes, for the noobs.
    Oh, then I guess I wont pick it up.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DystopiaX
    @Landon said:
    " @Raindog said:
    " @dankempster said:

" @Raindog said:

If im going to pass on an action game if I don't like the action? Damn straight. But nor you or me knows if that will be the case. GTA4 was, too me, horrible in that aspect though. "
    You can turn the auto aim off. No one is forcing you to play that way. What you are saying is the equivilant of:   I only play hard games, does this game have an easy mode? Yes, for the noobs. Oh, then I guess I wont pick it up. "
    One of the things they were working on was the shooting from GTAIV. they said that since the first game (red dead revolver) was purely action (no open world at all, it RELIED on it's gunplay) they were being true to that. 

Also, you don't have to lock on, and drive-by (ride-by? idk) is improved since there's no acceleration/deceleration buttons. Just a to make your horse go faster. This means that the triggers are used to shoot. No annoying drive by mechanics.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DystopiaX
    @Sackmanjones said:
    " Its supposed to be much better then gta4 "
    who has said this? I haven't heard any preview person say that yet.
    thaumogenesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By thaumogenesis

I am pretty sure I read in an article posted here (in the forums) that your choice of difficulty will determine how much aim-assist you recieve, and that the difference in the amount of assist you get directly relates to how much harder it is to shoot dudes.  Also, I'd find it incredibly difficult to believe that an option to turn auto off won't be present.  Yeah GTA4's aiming could get a little sticky and wonky at times, but just to put it in perspective, these are not the same exact core duders who made GTA4, and they have been working on the game for like 6+ years.  I think it's safe to say the shooting will be tight as it can possibly be.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DukesT3

I just hope its good.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37  Edited By RichardLOlson

Who gives a fuck.  The game is gonna kick ass and I'm sure you can turn the auto aim off.  Anyone who doesn't bow down to this gaming greatness is a sad sad person.  This game will knock your dick in the dirt, just like a bottle of Tequila.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DystopiaX
    @pweidman said:
    " R* recently announced 3 diff options for the shooting.  Full assist for newbs, partial assist will be normal, and then no assist pure aim for those so inclined.  That should help some people find a comfort zone.  I'm more worried about a fluid cover system...I hated the GTA4 version, that and the crappy aiming half trigger biz.  Some sites that have played it say it's much improved and fluid, while others have said it is very reminicent of GTA4.   I'll wait for Jeff to preview and see what he says, ......even though he loved GTA4 as I recall. "
    By assist, do you mean GTA style lock on or FPS style aim assist (which is prevalent in more popular FPSs than you think)
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By pweidman
    @DystopiaX said:
    " @pweidman said:
    " R* recently announced 3 diff options for the shooting.  Full assist for newbs, partial assist will be normal, and then no assist pure aim for those so inclined.  That should help some people find a comfort zone.  I'm more worried about a fluid cover system...I hated the GTA4 version, that and the crappy aiming half trigger biz.  Some sites that have played it say it's much improved and fluid, while others have said it is very reminicent of GTA4.   I'll wait for Jeff to preview and see what he says, ......even though he loved GTA4 as I recall. "
    By assist, do you mean GTA style lock on or FPS style aim assist (which is prevalent in more popular FPSs than you think) "

From what I can gather DystopiaX, the full "GTA style" lock on is the easiest setting, and some assist(prolly like the fps assists we see in many of the popular games you referred to) , but not GTA style lock, is the 'normal' diff.  And by all accounts the pure aim is just that, fully up to the player to aquire targets. This'll be a point for sure though, to read about in reviews to evaluate if the aim assist choices are truly as R* claims.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.