Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

Better than GTA, IMO

LordLemmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LordLemmy

It just feels like Redemption has more weight. And I love the fact I can get from point A to point B without flipping my horse or hitting a lightpost.

Anyone have any reasons why the might like this better?

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @LordLemmy said:
    " It just feels like Redemption has more weight. And I love the fact I can get from point A to point B without flipping my horse or hitting a lightpost.  Anyone have any reasons why the might like this better? "
    The poncho and the duster.

But seriously, the last time I took a look at GTA was when it was a 2D game.  I didn't get it then and I still don't get it.  I also tried the Just Cause 2 demo and I thought it was a dumb boring piece of shit.  But I really like RDR.  Different strokes for different folks.
    b33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By b33
    @LordLemmy said:
    " It just feels like Redemption has more weight.  And I love the fact I can get from point A to point B without flipping my horse or hitting a lightpost.  Anyone have any reasons why the might like this better? "
    when i got the game, that's exactly the opposite that i wished for, i wanted to do crazy ass stunts :\ 
    but by the end the story and missions blew me away, 
    to me gtaIV was more about free roaming and doing stupid stuff, i didn't care alot about the story.
    Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By lilbigsupermario

I got much more addicted with Red Dead Redemption than GTAIV.  I couldn't put the controller down.  I guess I'm just more interested with the story in RDR and playing as a cowboy is a nice change of pace from other games.  I guess I'm just getting tired of the GTA-style stories.  Well RDR is somewhat similar, but I guess since it's in the west, it's still kind of different hehe!  And with GTAIV, I tend to deviate from the story since there are too many stuff to do like going to dates, random people missions, side missions, main missions and messing around.  With RDR, it had the right amount of stuff to do and lots of shooting. 

I actually like Just Cause 2, even if it had a cheezy lame story, it has tons of action and funny voice-acting hehehe!  That's also a nice change of pace from serious open-world games like GTA and Assassin's Creed 2.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By JJWeatherman

Some random guy in the Gamestop I was at yesterday was chattin me up about RDR vs. GTA. We agreed that RDR is better. 

Just thought I'd share that.  :)

Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lilbigsupermario

But I guess, after you play like around 3 or 4 versions of the Red Dead series, you'll also grow tired of it eventually. 

Don't get me wrong, GTAIV is still a lot of fun and one of my favorite games, but I just like RDR's pace better. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@JJWeatherman said:
    " Some random guy in the Gamestop I was at yesterday was chattin me up about RDR vs. GTA. We agreed that RDR is better.  Just thought I'd share that.  :) "
    That happened to me a week ago from yesterday with a Gamestop employee. We also agreed that Red Dead Redemption is an overall better game, but it does not make GTA IV feel like a game that you cannot go back and play because the game does not penalize you as much for doing crazy shit.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Godlyawesomeguy said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    " Some random guy in the Gamestop I was at yesterday was chattin me up about RDR vs. GTA. We agreed that RDR is better.  Just thought I'd share that.  :) "
    That happened to me a week ago from yesterday with a Gamestop employee. We also agreed that Red Dead Redemption is an overall better game, but it does not make GTA IV feel like a game that you cannot go back and play because the game does not penalize you as much for doing crazy shit. "
    I too had a chat with the employees ringing me up. They were just learning how to give me the deals on the 360 trade in so it took foreeeeveer! So they were asking me if I wanted to preorder Reach. I was like "Nah, maybe another time". So then they were like, "What about Black Ops?". I replied, "Definitely not Black Ops!". They went on to name a couple more as I shot them all down. They were baffled and asked what exactly I played. So I told them I played RDR, NBA 2K10, Rock Band 2, etc. I'm glad that a couple people behind me in line agreed with my tastes.  :P

/pointlessrandomstory
    mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mikeeegeee

As someone who loved the hell out of GTA, I can say that I preferred RDR on merits of story. They both offer very different experiences, but RDR's story and ending elevate it above anything I've played in a long, long time. Fuck, the last two hours of that game were pure gaming bliss. Loved it whenever the soundtrack kicked in.

vaderbreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By vaderbreath
    Red dead redemption has a lot more to do other than the main story missions than GTAIV and that's where GTAIV kind of got boring for me.  So yeah I have recently got obsessed with red dead and its ambient challenges.
    ki11tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By ki11tank

i found RDR to get boring quite quickly, a lot of filler imo.  go to quest giver -> ride horse some distance -> shoot dudes -> rinse repeat....  the side quests got very repetitive as well and i found the hunting/skinning/collecting to be a joke.

i also would have much preferred to blast 90% of the characters throughout the story in the face rather than be the bitch that we were forced to play, especially with his wild outlaw past.   i guess i would have liked the game to take place about 40 years earlier than it did and johnny to still be the full out gunslinger, would have been better with his old gang.

anyways the main story could have been about 5 hours shorter imo, it was a decent game but won't be making any of my top games lists.

GTA > RDR still....

i'll be waiting for the nerd rage ;)

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kmdrkul

In the end I liked GTAIV more.  I've always loved the city of New York City, so it wins in terms of setting.  I also overall like the characters from GTAIV more, but that's not to say the cast of RDR was anything short of awesome.  

Also, I had RDR spoiled for me, so the impact of the ending wasn't as big.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By Yummylee

I do miss my machine guns T.T But yeah RDR is definitely better than GTAIV. While there still isn't as much as I'd like in terms of side activities, they definitely do steam roll over what GTAIV gave you. Its overall shooting is better than GTAIV in every way. Really addictive online that rewards you aplenty for investing time into it. 

Story wise I felt that GTAIV pushed me on alot more than RDR's. And to be truthful there wasn't a whole lot of characters I liked in the main RDR story while GTAIV always had me facing tough decisions of just which were my favourite characters. RDR though obviously wins with its sheer atmosphere and source material. GTAIV had a great story though it was genuinely just a much higher quality version of story we've played through before in past GTA's.

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MOAB

i still like the gta series better overall, but i'd give rdr the edge for online if this was dlc...

No Caption Provided
    RaceKickfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By RaceKickfist

at least in the old west they dont have cell phones where your idiot cousin keeps bothering you to hang out and play an awful billiards mini-game. and i cant explain why, but i felt much more comfortable helping out an obnoxious grave robber than i did any myriad of drug runners and soprano's wanna-bes.  

edit-  i would LOVE this as DLC
     @MOAB
    said:

" i still like the gta series better overall, but i'd give rdr the edge for online if this was dlc...

No Caption Provided
    "
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By LiquidPrince

I agree.

Eli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Eli

Red Dead Redemption feels more more structured, streamlined, and thought out. I absolutely think RDR is better than GTA. They either fine-tuned or removed anything that didn't work well in GTA. The only aspect that I think GTA IV did better than RDR was the ability to swim. In all honesty, I think R* should let their San Diego studio have a stab at a console GTA game. I would be very interested to see how that would turn out.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Burns098356GX

I tried RDR, couldn't get into it. I hated the controls. I hate the 'steer your character with thumb stick, and advance with A' type controls. I hated the horse controls too. It looks like a great game, but I just can't get into it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.