Bug Causes Cripplingly Slow FPS - Unknown Cause [Video]

#1 Posted by EgoCheck616 (782 posts) -

Found this bug in Red Dead Redemption. I've no idea what the cause is, but it occurred immediately after I had shot someone while they were in the process of kidnapping a woman. I'm hoping someone from Rockstar eventually sees this and can address the issue. If I hadn't of eventually ran to the woman then the game would have been as good as over for me.  

Also, this is the PS3 version of the game. I'm not sure if the Xbox 360 version has this problem, but up until this point I've had no problems with FPS. 

#2 Posted by Zaapp1 (658 posts) -

Interesting bug...nice documentation too.

#3 Posted by SmotPoker (36 posts) -

I had the same thing happen to me, but  in a different situation. The bounty target was on my horse when my horse proceeded to die, they both fell to the ground and it resulted in the same fps drop. Luckily, I was able to fix it by simply picking the target off the ground, so it might be related.

#4 Edited by Ryax (4630 posts) -

hahaha old lady house, and that never happened to me

#5 Posted by EgoCheck616 (782 posts) -
@SmotPoker: It looks like the chick was actually IN the ground. Which is something I noticed happened in Garry's Mod when I would have a box or something that breaking through the environment. It seems as if the obstacle is fighting with the geometry of the environment. 

Either way, its something that should be dealt with in beta.
#6 Posted by BrockSampson (299 posts) -

The exact same thing happened to me in Thieves Landing.  The guy was carrying a girl so I shot him in the leg. He dropped the girl but the game slowed down to almost a crawl.

#7 Posted by Shirogane (3569 posts) -

Hmm, not quite as bad as i was expecting, but still not great. Does this also happen on the 360 version?
#8 Posted by EgoCheck616 (782 posts) -
@Shirogane: It's actually REALLY bad when you're playing the game. You can't do anything. Like playing Crysis on Windows 95.
#9 Posted by EgoCheck616 (782 posts) -
@Ryax said:
" hahaha old lady house, and that never happened to me "
Heh. I'm visiting my mom after exams. 
#10 Posted by CallMeRotten (229 posts) -

Phew! Glad I chose the 360 version instead hah. I figured both would run about the same but there always seems to be some little pain the ass bug on one or the other when it comes to multi-platform releases.

#11 Posted by EgoCheck616 (782 posts) -
@CallMeRotten: For all we know this bug can be found on the Xbox 360 version as well. It's completely random.
#12 Posted by W0lfbl1tzers (1787 posts) -
@EgoCheck616: Are you or are you related to Mike Birbiglia?
#13 Posted by EgoCheck616 (782 posts) -
@W0lfbl1tzers: Hahaha! I hope that is a compliment?  Mike Birbiglia kicks ass. 
Actually, the dude looks kinda like me..
#14 Edited by xyzygy (9947 posts) -
@Shirogane said:

" Hmm, not quite as bad as i was expecting, but still not great. Does this also happen on the 360 version? "

I haven't seen it pop up in my 360 version. But while at my friends house tonight he decided he's not going to play the game on PS3 because he went through 2 copies and both of them would freeze not constantly, but quite often. It's not his PS3 because this is the only game it happens with. We ran into a bug in his PS3 copy though that had NPCs who were sitting down floating across the screen. They were still animated like they were sitting, only they were like in the air and outside in the streets. It was actually AWESOMELY hilarious. 

The PS3 version of this game is fucked... kinda reminds me of how Fallout 3 is on PS3
#15 Posted by W0lfbl1tzers (1787 posts) -
@EgoCheck616: I just thought you sounded like him in your video. If that was you in the video.
#16 Posted by EgoCheck616 (782 posts) -
@W0lfbl1tzers: You got me. I paid  Mike Birbiglia to star in my crappy YouTube video.
#17 Posted by W0lfbl1tzers (1787 posts) -
@EgoCheck616: I knew it!
#18 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -
@xyzygy said:

" The PS3 version of this game is fucked... kinda reminds me of how Fallout 3 is on PS3 "

I've played the PS3 version for many hours since yesterday and the only glitches I encountered are also in the xbox version (i.e. in my case an NPC disappeared momentarily during a cut scene -- I could still hear him).

http://kotaku.com/5542914/invisibility-bugs-vexing-red-dead-redemption-players
#19 Edited by xyzygy (9947 posts) -
@teh_pwnzorer: Well from personal experience I'm sad to say that's not how it is. To me. 

But everyone's personal experiences are different.
#20 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -
@xyzygy: Personal experience?  Well, it probably depends more on the model of the system or some sequence of events in the game...
#21 Posted by Claude (16255 posts) -
@BrockSampson said:
" The exact same thing happened to me in Thieves Landing.  The guy was carrying a girl so I shot him in the leg. He dropped the girl but the game slowed down to almost a crawl. "
I just got to the Thieves Landing and the same thing happened to me and I'm playing the 360 version.
#22 Posted by quantumshift5 (415 posts) -

The only problem I came across so far was when I was already in Mexico and on my first mission I had to rescue this girl in a really dark cave, there were a few annoying bugs in there but got past it and so far no problems yet. Isane game by the way:)
#23 Posted by xyzygy (9947 posts) -
@teh_pwnzorer said:
" @xyzygy: Personal experience?  Well, it probably depends more on the model of the system or some sequence of events in the game... "
It's a Slim PS3 that my friend got at launch. Read my above posts to see exactly what happened. Just a lot of freezing over two copies of the game and ti's the only game that it does this for. Well, we checked Uncharted 2 and White Knight Chronicles and they seemed to work fine. Whereas I have put about 15 hours into the game on 360 and have experienced nothing bad at all, besides one bug in the first 20 minutes of the game, the very first time I got on a horse. I was standing on the horse instead of sitting :P 
#24 Edited by John1912 (1859 posts) -

Huh, i had the exact same thing happen to me in the same town.  im on the 360 version thou.  I was on the other side of town by the tailor  and gunsmith.  Saved the girl, and i think the game corrected itself on its own, it was late last night.  Bugs like that will usually go away after you move out of the area, force the game to reload/load a new area to reset itself, load old save.  IF it still happens after all that, and esp a saved game reload your prob screwed.  Thats pretty rare thou

*edit*  i guess I thought it was just a frame rate drop.  Seemed to be alot of ppl in the area, and there may have been another crime going on as I think I recall a woman screaming.  So must be a bug with the kidnapping, or maybe two crimes in one location caused AI scripting to become out of whack depleting memory/cpu resources?  My random ideas on that i guess.

#25 Posted by TheHT (11144 posts) -

I've noticed some framerate issues as well (also playing on a PS3) but nothing quite that drastic. We'll see when I get there.

#26 Posted by SkullcrusherMountain (952 posts) -
@BrockSampson said:
" The exact same thing happened to me in Thieves Landing.  The guy was carrying a girl so I shot him in the leg. He dropped the girl but the game slowed down to almost a crawl. "
Literally exactly what happened to me on the 360 about 20 minutes ago.  Was really weird, as soon as I untied her and picked the guy up, game was back to normal.
#27 Edited by mason_pat (59 posts) -

I have a 360, this exact bug happened to me. It was in Thieves Landing also, and part of the same event (someone was kidnapping the woman). As far as I remember the slow down began as the woman hit the ground, after killing her captor. The lag was fixed in a very similar way, except I cut her free instead of picking her up. 

So - basically what everyone else has been saying!

#28 Posted by Shirogane (3569 posts) -

Huh, so it's not that one version is buggy or glitched, both platforms are? 

Guess i'm still gettingn it on PS3 then, unless the PC version comes out before then, which won't happen. 
Hopefully this stuff gets patched, heard of a lot of buggy glitchy stuff in this game already. Though nothing particularly game breaking so far, it might be an annoyance after a while.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.