Characters!

#1 Edited by phantomzxro (1578 posts) -

One thing I have to give to red dead is right off the bat there are some great likable characters which really help move along the story. John Marston (sp) is quite a great character too, I did not expect him to be so civil and well spoken rather than macho cowboy speak of f*** this and that. I kind of feel that was the problem with GTA4 (while still being a great game) some people liked niko while others did not. Also with all the side characters not many were very likeable because one they were shady from the beginning so you did not care for them too much or two they were a little too silly for you to really like. The only character from GTA other then niko and roman that I cared for was little Jacob.  Anyway what are your  thoughts and is anyone else feeling the same way.

#2 Edited by fwylo (3556 posts) -
#3 Posted by phantomzxro (1578 posts) -
@fwylo:
brucie was cool but i did not really care what happened to him. He was more or less the comedy relief in my eyes.
#4 Posted by RedSox8933 (2428 posts) -

I think the characters in both of these games are great. I think that GTA IV had a better overall cast though.

#5 Posted by TheHT (11511 posts) -

Yup, the characters right off the bat are very likable. That particular mission with Bonnie was pretty impactful (for something early in the game).

#6 Posted by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

Having just got to Mexico, I kinda miss Bonnie and Dickens. I hope they show up again somewhere.

#7 Posted by PNut_Buttr_Panda (486 posts) -
@phantomzxro: 
but could you just imagine the hilarity that would be a brucie seth crab knife battle. 

ill generate the backdrop of the confrontation. seth finally found some treasure. but it turns out the treasure is just badger steroids. brucie got wind and is now standing between seth and the chest. seth a blood rage over the chest treasure cock block becomes enraged. and grabs his knife and two passing crabs that wandered into town from the nearby shoreline. brucie only having a single knife claims that seths crabs make it an unfair fight. seth agrees and tosses a crab to brucie...... a large crowd has gathered around the two.....the clock strikes noon.
#8 Posted by kelbear (496 posts) -

Yeah, I really like the writing for Marston's lines. The mellow attitude is refreshing. 
Usually laidback characters are also lazy in game writing.

#9 Posted by ProfessorEss (7450 posts) -

I've always found Rockstar to be the king of casts and Red Dead so far is shaping up to be the best yet.

I find even when the plot and motivation gets a little shakey it doesn't really matter because the dialogue writing is so absolutely top-notch.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.