Does anyone know where there wasn't a review for this?

#1 Posted by JTB123 (1046 posts) -

I find it quite odd that there wasn't a review for this, be interesting to see what they thought of it.

#2 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

I know, 3/4 of them too my knowledge have played and beaten the game.

#3 Posted by piecat (384 posts) -

By the time they would have been able to play through the game and then review it, they review would be past its relevancy. It would just be a waste of time when they could be writing other and more current reviews. 

#4 Posted by memo (421 posts) -

They didn't get this game until the day came out and obviously they need to play through the whole campaign to give a fair review and thats a massive of a game.  Plus we all knew that game was going to be awesome anyways, no review needed,  maybe if it did suck they would give it a review.

#5 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

This thread AGAIN? Jesus.

#6 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -
They thought it was good.
#7 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

They already spend lots of time in it with the quicklook and what not, and generally said: "Guys and gals, go buy it, it's ace! Kbai!"

#8 Posted by Hilbert (349 posts) -

Just listen to the giantbomb podcast.
#9 Posted by ninjakiller (3405 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
" This thread AGAIN? Jesus. "
#10 Posted by Fallen189 (5025 posts) -

Prepare for a shit load of cunts to chew you out.

#11 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
#12 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

No one really knows, just a bunch of people who think they know. I found it very surprising it was not reviewed.

#13 Posted by Bwast (1342 posts) -

If I answer that question you keep asking. If I give you the name of the big enchilada, then it's bon voyage, Bwastie. I mean like permanent. I mean like a bullet in my head, you dig? You're a mouse fighting a gorilla. Do you have any idea of what you're getting yourself into, daddy-o? Giant Bomb's gonna jump all over your head.

#14 Posted by iAmJohn (6121 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:
#15 Posted by mordecaix7 (657 posts) -

#16 Posted by Yummylee (21789 posts) -

Oh hello there, you Freddy Threadington! Seems like only last week that you cropped up on the RDR forum.

#17 Posted by phantomzxro (1578 posts) -

we are starting this up again. Well what i got out of it is that jeff may not be a big fan of the GTA formula . So Rockstar knowing this did not give them a early review copy, some say this was rockstar trying to get the best review out there first. Now no matter if that was right or wrong the bomb crew made a choice to not review the game, reasons may include being too busy or maybe them standing up for themselves by not reviewing it. But like everyone said the game has got great reviews so i don't think it a big deal.

#18 Posted by Synthballs (2193 posts) -
@Hilbert said:
" Just listen to the giantbomb podcast. "
Not everyone enjoys the Podcast and might still want an opinion though. You can just like, metacritic it or something but, a review would've been nice.
#19 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6398 posts) -
@Hilbert said:
which one?
#20 Edited by Ramyun (664 posts) -
@Godlyawesomeguy said:
" @Hilbert said:
which one? "

The Giant Bombcast. That button on the top that says Bombcast. Enjoy.
#21 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

Because Giantbomb does whatever the fuck it wants.

#22 Posted by Zippedbinders (999 posts) -
@Godlyawesomeguy: They talk about it in a few of them, go check out the ones for late May and early June.
#23 Posted by Hadoken101 (797 posts) -
@Ramyun said:
" @Godlyawesomeguy said:
" @Hilbert said:
which one? "
The Giant Bombcast. That button on the top that says Bombcast. Enjoy. "
I think he meant the episode smart ass
#24 Posted by Deusoma (3013 posts) -
@piecat said:

" By the time they would have been able to play through the game and then review it, they review would be past its relevancy. It would just be a waste of time when they could be writing other and more current reviews.  "

http://www.giantbomb.com/jungler/61-30048/reviews/
#25 Edited by piecat (384 posts) -
@Deusoma said:

" @piecat said:

" By the time they would have been able to play through the game and then review it, they review would be past its relevancy. It would just be a waste of time when they could be writing other and more current reviews.  "

http://www.giantbomb.com/jungler/61-30048/reviews/ "
Thats completely different though. In fact, considering jungler had just come out for xbox live arcade, that review was totally relevant. Also, it takes much less time and effort to play and review jungler. Plus jeff pretty much just reviewed it as a joke. 
#26 Posted by Milkman (16851 posts) -
@Claude said:
" No one really knows, just a bunch of people who think they know. I found it very surprising it was not reviewed. "
They've made it very clear numerous times why they didn't review it.
#27 Posted by dudeglove (7907 posts) -
@JTB123:  There was a quicklook, and I'm almost certain Brad creamed his pants over it on two bombcasts. A review wasn't necessary, as they waxed lyrical in each instance.
#28 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@Milkman said:
" @Claude said:
" No one really knows, just a bunch of people who think they know. I found it very surprising it was not reviewed. "
They've made it very clear numerous times why they didn't review it. "
Did they? Must have missed that. Thanks.
#29 Posted by piecat (384 posts) -
@Claude said:
" @Milkman said:
" @Claude said:
Did they? Must have missed that. Thanks. "
yeah, my post is pretty much the exact reason they said too. You shouldn't just assume people are making things up. 
#30 Posted by Hashbrowns (653 posts) -

It'll be interesting to see how RDR is handled in the Game of the Year discussions.  Logically, only 5 star games qualify for the final award.  Will they then just infer that RDR deserved 5 stars?  Let's say it comes down between Mass Effect 2, Red Dead Redemption, and Starcraft 2.  Is that a retroactive 5 star rating?
#31 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@piecat said:
" @Claude said:
" @Milkman said:
" @Claude said:
Did they? Must have missed that. Thanks. "
yeah, my post is pretty much the exact reason they said too. You shouldn't just assume people are making things up.  "
I still never heard what they said. I read reviews and news, not much of a podcast guy. I read the forums, but missed it, I guess.

What did they say? Again?
#32 Posted by ajamafalous (12007 posts) -
@Hashbrowns said:
" Logically, only 5 star games qualify for the final award. "
What?
#33 Posted by Milkman (16851 posts) -
@Claude:  For whatever reason, Giant Bomb wasn't on Rockstar's list of sites when they sent out review copies so they had to wait until release day to get a copy. Not only that but Jeff, who was assigned to review, was out on assignment somewhere. I forget where. It might have been when he went to Hawaii. Anyway, by the time Jeff came back so many reviews have been published that it was just a waste of time for them devote resources to reviewing the game. Vinny, Ryan and Brad all played it and all praised it while Jeff played like 20 minutes and didn't really like it. So, if anyone wants to know what Giant Bomb thinks of Red Dead Redemption, the general consensus is the GAME'S GOOD.
#34 Posted by Ramyun (664 posts) -
@Hadoken101: Haha....sorry about that. Those discussions can be heard on the 5/25/10 and 6/01/10 episode. They talk about it in bits and pieces later on as well but not as much.
#35 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@Milkman said:
" @Claude:  For whatever reason, Giant Bomb wasn't on Rockstar's list of sites when they sent out review copies so they had to wait until release day to get a copy. Not only that but Jeff, who was assigned to review, was out on assignment somewhere. I forget where. It might have been when he went to Hawaii. Anyway, by the time Jeff came back so many reviews have been published that it was just a waste of time for them devote resources to reviewing the game. Vinny, Ryan and Brad all played it and all praised it while Jeff played like 20 minutes and didn't really like it. So, if anyone wants to know what Giant Bomb thinks of Red Dead Redemption, the general consensus is the GAME'S GOOD. "
That was AWESOME and well said. Thanks for posting.
#36 Posted by Hashbrowns (653 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
" @Hashbrowns said:
" Logically, only 5 star games qualify for the final award. "
What? "

I'm speaking of Giant Bomb's method of selection.  I thought that was pretty clear. 

Have they ever even discussed a game for the overall GotY award that they haven't given a 5-star rating?  We're not dealing with a group of twenty or thirty editors who have to come to a general consensus, just four guys.  The GotY candidates are the winners of their respective platform awards, including multi-platform.  PS3, X360, Wii, PC, and Multi-platform.  Each winner of those games is then considered for the overal GotY award.  5-star games aren't exactly rare on any platform, so a short-list of candidates would be 5-star heavy, if not exclusively so.  Given a surprlus of 5-star games to choose from, unless there is serious and extreme discord, how likely is it that a 4-star game would manage to be the most agreeable choice for the guys?  And if it did, isn't that really saying "we couldn't decide between two great games, so we're settling on a lesser game we all kind of like"?

I'm not saying their ratings define a game's worth.  Heck, they can give a game 3 stars and I might think it's the best game I've played all year, who knows?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.