Filthy voice chat online

#1 Edited by warxsnake (2650 posts) -

Heyas 

I'm relatively new to PSN, most PS3 games I've mainly played offline. I don't know what the methodology is in here, but how do you invite players to free roam? Also today I learnt the uneasy way that from now on I will only go into private multiplayer. I hope for fucks sake that this was a rare occurrence but hell, every word out of other players' mouthes was the n-word. Like "hey n___ did you see how i headshotted that  n___ you  n___ that was great  n___". Very unpleasant; coming from PC where I havent heard stuff like that in years. This brings me to another question, is there a quick way to mute these fools?   

Thanks!

#2 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

What, have you never used the internet or  something?

#3 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@ArchScabby said:
" What, have you never used the internet or  something? "
/thread. 

@OP. Welcome to online gaming. Where mommy and daddy buy Little Timmy what ever he wants. 
#4 Posted by warxsnake (2650 posts) -

assholes in here as well I guess.

#5 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -
@warxsnake:  If you think that's bad! Try Xbox Live. Your ears and mind will implode.
#6 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@warxsnake said:
" assholes in here as well I guess. "
That is the exact answer. We are not being ass holes. You are getting the correct answer. 
#7 Posted by JeevesPleez (332 posts) -

Not sure, but you could always join the 360 or PS3 Giant Bomb posses and play with some (relatively) upstanding folk.

#8 Posted by warxsnake (2650 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @warxsnake said:
That is the exact answer. We are not being ass holes. You are getting the correct answer.  "
There are two questions in my original post, you didn't answer either of em, you came here to just be a dick, no way around it. 
#9 Posted by Apathylad (3067 posts) -

#10 Posted by yinstarrunner (1240 posts) -

I know what you mean, man. I rarely hear that kind of stuff on PC. Maybe it's just the servers I frequent.  But hop on to Xbox live and suddenly everyone's being as uncouth as possible.  Just do what I do and turn off voice chat in the options; they rarely have anything useful to say, anyway.

#11 Posted by warxsnake (2650 posts) -
@JeevesPleez said:
" Not sure, but you could always join the 360 or PS3 Giant Bomb posses and play with some (relatively) upstanding folk. "
Oh awesome, will do thnx!
#12 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

I'd say join a Giant Bomb posse, Xbox Live and PSN are crawling with racist 12 year olds.

#13 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -
@warxsnake said:
" Heyas  I'm relatively new to PSN, most PS3 games I've mainly played offline. I don't know what the methodology is in here, but how do you invite players to free roam? Also today I learnt the uneasy way that from now on I will only go into private multiplayer. I hope for fucks sake that this was a rare occurrence but hell, every word out of other players' mouthes was the n-word. Like "hey n___ did you see how i headshotted that  n___ you  n___ that was great  n___". Very unpleasant; coming from PC where I havent heard stuff like that in years. This brings me to another question, is there a quick way to mute these fools?    Thanks! "
welcome to the internet bro! accept the language because thats how it works. if you dont like it gtfo. and if you dont know how to mute then also. gtfo. looks like your best option is to gtfo
#14 Edited by Donos (1197 posts) -

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the voice chat too much. I find the majority of people speaking online are actually pretty decent (In Battlefield, mainly) and I remember having a pretty good experience with GTA IV as well. Try again tomorrow, and chances are you'll have a much better time. Also, try again in a couple weeks and the worst  of the whiney asshats will have gotten bored and left.

As for muting, find multiplayer's in-game scorebored. That's usually where muting options are located. (I haven't played the game yet, but that's how it works the majority of the time. 

#15 Posted by warxsnake (2650 posts) -
@Ryax said:
" @warxsnake said:
" Heyas  I'm relatively new to PSN, most PS3 games I've mainly played offline. I don't know what the methodology is in here, but how do you invite players to free roam? Also today I learnt the uneasy way that from now on I will only go into private multiplayer. I hope for fucks sake that this was a rare occurrence but hell, every word out of other players' mouthes was the n-word. Like "hey n___ did you see how i headshotted that  n___ you  n___ that was great  n___". Very unpleasant; coming from PC where I havent heard stuff like that in years. This brings me to another question, is there a quick way to mute these fools?    Thanks! "
welcome to the internet bro! accept the language because thats how it works. if you dont like it gtfo. and if you dont know how to mute then also. gtfo. looks like your best option is to gtfo "
Great job solidifying my point of view on PSN and XBL. ill stick to steam then! 
#16 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -
@Donos said:
" Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the voice chat too much. I find the majority of people speaking online are actually pretty decent (In Battlefield, mainly) and I remember having a pretty good experience with GTA IV as well. Try again tomorrow, and chances are you'll have a much better time. Also, try again in a couple weeks and most of the whiney asshats will have gotten bored and left. "
i wish gta was nice for me. last month i played and there was a bunch of thugs talking hella shit for no reason. it was ridiculous. but hey. i guess they have to live out their fantasies some how
#17 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -
@warxsnake said:
" @Ryax said:
" @warxsnake said:
welcome to the internet bro! accept the language because thats how it works. if you dont like it gtfo. and if you dont know how to mute then also. gtfo. looks like your best option is to gtfo "
Great job solidifying my point of view on PSN and XBL. ill stick to steam then!  "
i find it funny that you think the PC is any cleaner than consoles. thats incredibly naive
#18 Edited by Hourai (2795 posts) -

Whenever that happens I just lay my mic on the floor so I don't need to hear anybody. 

#19 Edited by Donos (1197 posts) -
@Ryax:  He's right actually, PC is generally better. PC gaming takes dedication and effort that most kids won't bother with, which cuts out the worst of the population. Also, Steam usees credit cards, again alienating little kids. If you want a mature experience, you'll have better luck on Steam.

Still, if everyone could get over the negative stereotype for a few seconds, I really think console voice chat could be a lot better. The stereotype stops many of the mature, friendly people from bothering to chat, which defeats the purpose of the chat itself. So warxsnake, and everyone else here, please give console a chance. Change has to start somewhere.
#20 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -
@Donos said:
" @Ryax:  He's right actually, PC is generally better. PC gaming takes dedication and effort that most kids won't bother with, which cuts out the worst of the population. Also, Steam usees credit cards, again alienating little kids. If you want a mature experience, you'll have better luck on Steam. "
i do recognize that pc is a bit cleaner. but ive found some games that are 10x worse than console
#21 Edited by warxsnake (2650 posts) -
@Ryax said:

" @warxsnake said:

" @Ryax said:
" @warxsnake said:
Great job solidifying my point of view on PSN and XBL. ill stick to steam then!  "
i find it funny that you think the PC is any cleaner than consoles. thats incredibly naive "
I've been playing online on PC since the mid 90s and have never heard the shit I heard on PSN in the last 30 minutes. But whatever I get your point, not trying to make this a VS thread. I'll try to get used to it.
#22 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -
@warxsnake: the 90's? oh god! join the club bro. 
#23 Posted by CallMeRotten (229 posts) -

What is it with voice chat and assholes using the n-word? every time I read a complaint about voice chat no matter what network it is you can bet your ass there will be some n-bombs dropped. I rarely go online with my consoles but the times I have I've never experienced anything that bad, most of the time I keep voice chat disabled though unless it's somebody I know.

#24 Posted by YoThatLimp (1938 posts) -
@Donos said:
" @Ryax:  He's right actually, PC is generally better. PC gaming takes dedication and effort that most kids won't bother with, which cuts out the worst of the population. Also, Steam usees credit cards, again alienating little kids. If you want a mature experience, you'll have better luck on Steam.  Still, if everyone could get over the negative stereotype for a few seconds, I really think console voice chat could be a lot better. The stereotype stops many of the mature, friendly people from bothering to chat, which defeats the purpose of the chat itself. So warxsnake, and everyone else here, please give console a chance. Change has to start somewhere. "
Dedication? You mean buying a PC?
#25 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -
@warxsnake said:
I've mostly played Battlefield games on the PS3 and people on the mic's usually try to contribute and only sometimes cuss when they get blowed up.  Otherwise, they don't have a mic...  Also, you can mute folks.
#26 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3906 posts) -

1) Report them for breaking the TOS.

2) Set your voice and chat to friends only, so you'll only ever hear people you know.

Note: this for Xbox live, but I'd sure hope Sony allows something similar.

#27 Posted by Relys (984 posts) -

Don't expect a game to have cleaner language online than in the single player experience.

#28 Posted by FlamingHobo (4511 posts) -

@warxsnake: I do agree that the PC community can be cleaner but there are certain games where the language is just as foul.

#29 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@warxsnake said:
Due to PSN being free you do get alot more arseholes than Xbox 360.
#30 Posted by Colin (707 posts) -

Anyone who thinks the internet is clean in any of it's corners needs to get off the internet, there's assholes everywhere you go no matter what.   Mute works good though :P
#31 Posted by DirrtyNinja (715 posts) -

In the immortal words of Mr T: "Get some Nuts"

#32 Posted by DirrtyNinja (715 posts) -

#33 Posted by Scroll (601 posts) -

Play on CS:source and you'll hey a surprising amount of profanity and hate directed towards anyone.

Oh and you need to stop being a pussy, and deal with it.

#34 Posted by JEC03 (919 posts) -

PC FTW  it's true  though there is alot of douchebags playing CSS but i found a strict mature server when i played.As for consoles online eww it sounds like being  in middle school all over again young teenagers talking shit trying to act tough that shit is laughable im glad i dont play with morons like those on PC.

#35 Posted by DragoonKain1687 (702 posts) -
@warxsnake said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @warxsnake said:
That is the exact answer. We are not being ass holes. You are getting the correct answer.  "
There are two questions in my original post, you didn't answer either of em, you came here to just be a dick, no way around it.  "
Its funny, how you first talk about people insulting you online, and then you do the same thing. Guess you just wanted some attention.
#36 Posted by PenguinDust (12628 posts) -

I'm kind of surprised you heard anything on PSN.  Whenever I log on (on the rare occasion) there are usually only 1 or 2 players with mics, so the "filth and foul and filth" is kept to a minimum.   And, of course, it depends on the game.  Shooters tend to bring out the worst in people.  Over on XBL, everyone has a mic and the number of North American console-users is greater, so things are much seedier there.  The only advice I can offer is to (a) mute folks who offend you, (b) quit games where the level of profanity is too great to bear, and (c) find reliable friends to play with.

#37 Posted by crusnchill (856 posts) -
@warxsnake said:
I'm beginning to understand why he was calling you foul words.
Those guys weren't being dicks when they replied, and they pretty much answered both questions for you, but you must of missed it.

My advice, keep playing, just like in the world, there's some really cool and funny people out there sometimes.
Once you find them, send them friend requests and hang out with them whenever you want to, if they're online that is.
#38 Posted by Rxanadu (506 posts) -
@Apathylad: No. 2 reason I stay off of Xbox Live next to paying money to play online.  Also my No. 1 reason I don't have a headset for the PS3 despite most of the games I may want to use a headset for, such as Borderlands and Resistance 2.  Those games would benefit from a TON of feedback from gamers, but as you can tell, most of the people are rude, insensitive children (despite their age) who want to feel superior in some way other than earning it.
#39 Edited by warxsnake (2650 posts) -

Being surprised by something =/= being hurt by it. most people here went straight to calling names and saying i need to grow some balls. I never said the voice chat hurt me in any way, it just surprised me how foul it is. You can't state anything in these forums without someone getting all defensive and insulting you in the process... lol reminds me of gamespot forums

#40 Posted by Jadeskye (4368 posts) -
@warxsnake: you've never played an online game before have you? TF2, Halo, MAG. doesn't matter, there will always be someone dropping N and C bombs every 3 seconds. Mute them if it bothers you.
#41 Posted by warxsnake (2650 posts) -
@jadeskye said:
" @warxsnake: you've never played an online game before have you? TF2, Halo, MAG. doesn't matter, there will always be someone dropping N and C bombs every 3 seconds. Mute them if it bothers you. "
Like I said, I know this, the thing I'm asking is HOW to mute them, i'm new to psn, what's the process to mute someone, is it in the game menu, the XMB menu.....?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.