Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

Gameinformer gives it 9.75

Brockly46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Brockly46

The June issue of GI gave RDR a 9.75/10, thats a good sign it will be worth the wait.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By dbz1995

9.75/10=best review score system ever.

Still, looking forward to this.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Bones8677

Awesome, this game has flown under my radar for almost the whole time, but I may actually pick it up based on people's excitement for it. It'll be a while though, I just NOW picked up Mass Effect 2.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By scarace360

good.

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
    Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Why don't they just give it a percentage instead of going to 2dp on a scale of 10.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Mmmslash

I'm so excited.

Spoonybard37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By Spoonybard37

Cant wait!
    blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By blair

Let's see what Giant Bomb says.  That's the gaming opinion I respect most.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By Claude

In the review, they mention two of my favorite games to describe RDR, Oblivion for its open world and Fable with how people treat you according to your actions. That really sold me on the game. I've read enough other stuff to know that this is a game for me.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ninjakiller

Holding out hope that this game will be awesome.  The interactions with npcs based on reputation sounds intriguing.    

GTA IV scored this high as well but was just awful.  

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By CL60
    @ninjakiller said:

" Holding out hope that this game will be awesome.  The interactions with npcs based on reputation sounds intriguing.      GTA IV scored this high as well but was just awful.   "

GTA IV wasn't awful. It was amazingly polished for an open world game and was fun and had a good story.
    Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
    deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah but GTA 4 got numerous 10's

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Claude
    @CL60 said:
    " @ninjakiller said:
    " Holding out hope that this game will be awesome.  The interactions with npcs based on reputation sounds intriguing.      GTA IV scored this high as well but was just awful.   "
    GTA IV wasn't awful. It was amazingly polished and was fun and had a good story. "
    It wasn't all that. It got very repetitive at the end. I quit playing it because of the long missions with no save and heaven forbid you die and have to start the mission all over. The DLC took care of that part and from what I've read, RDR has mid mission saves. That helps with my biggest gripe about GTA IV, well, I didn't like the characters either in GTA IV.
    CandleJakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By CandleJakk
    @CL60 said:
    " @ninjakiller said:

GTA IV wasn't awful. It was amazingly polished for an open world game and was fun and had a good story. "
    True, but I, like many other game players I know got bored really quickly with it. It had largely repetitive missions, and most of the character were despicable or just annoying, which ultimately sucked a lot of fun out of the game for some people.
    ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ninjakiller
    @Claude said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @ninjakiller said:
    GTA IV wasn't awful. It was amazingly polished and was fun and had a good story. "
    It wasn't all that. It got very repetitive at the end. I quit playing it because of the long missions with no save and heaven forbid you die and have to start the mission all over. The DLC took care of that part and from what I've read, RDR has mid mission saves. That helps with my biggest gripe about GTA IV, well, I didn't like the characters either in GTA IV. "
    The long missions without checkpoints was horrible.  What really killed the game for me was it felt like all the fun had been sucked out of the game.  It's hard to explain, but compared to GTA:San Andreas and GTA:Vice City, it wasn't fun at all.  
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By Kyreo
    @Claude said:
    " In the review, they mention two of my favorite games to describe RDR, Oblivion for its open world and Fable with how people treat you according to your actions. That really sold me on the game. I've read enough other stuff to know that this is a game for me. "
    but you realize that THAT is why they mentioned both of those games.  To get the attention of the people that liked Fable 2 and Oblivion.  I'm not saying they did this with malicious intent or misrepresentation...  It's just good advertising on their part.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Claude
    @Kyreo said:
    " @Claude said:
    " In the review, they mention two of my favorite games to describe RDR, Oblivion for its open world and Fable with how people treat you according to your actions. That really sold me on the game. I've read enough other stuff to know that this is a game for me. "
    but you realize that THAT is why they mentioned both of those games.  To get the attention of the people that liked Fable 2 and Oblivion.  I'm not saying they did this with malicious intent or misrepresentation...  It's just good advertising on their part. "
    Oh sure, but there again, I can see where they're coming from. When I read the review and saw those two games mentioned, I felt they were doing me a small service. If you liked these games for this reason, then you might like this one. I also think it shows the difference between RDR and a GTA game.
    Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Nate
    @ninjakiller said:
    Considering this has been described by some as GTA in the wild west, I'm thinking this might not be for you.  This is why review scores might not matter that much to some people; it's all about personal taste.  As for me, GTA 4 in the wild west sounds pretty badass. 
    yyZiggurat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By yyZiggurat
    @CL60:  GTA4 wasn't awful, but in my opinion it didn't deserve all the 10's it got.  I did love the way they handled its story, though.
    SilentCommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SilentCommando

Awesome, May 18 will be the best day of the month.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

3 days left. Ive known this game would be great since I started following it a long time ago. 

tane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By tane

GTA IV wasn't completely awful, but it sure lacked a lot of "fun factor" compared to the previous Grand theft auto games. It felt like a step down from San Andreas gameplay-wise and the multiplayer didn't work great either.

I hope they've made up for this, and added a lot of fun stuff to do, in between missions (NOT BOWLING) and made the multiplayer smooth.

unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By unclejohnny79

Wow, great score, really looking forward to this one

Liam_mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Liam_mk

Eeeeeeeeeeh Coooooousiiiin! I hear you like cowboys!....I feel justified

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Claude
    @Liam_mk said:
    " Eeeeeeeeeeh Coooooousiiiin! I hear you like cowboys!....I feel justified "
    You pre-ordered didn't you. I can smell the dust that my horse kicks up. I might show up for the midnight launch.
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

9.75 = 39 / 40  
    Its amazing how stupid is to making a 1 to 40 scale and then disguising it as a 1 to 10 scale.  

Also im sick about hearing about this game.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PillClinton

Are you telling me GI rates games on a 1,000 point scale?!

Brockly46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Brockly46
    @Mr_Skeleton said:
    "

9.75 = 39 / 40  
    Its amazing how stupid is to making a 1 to 40 scale and then disguising it as a 1 to 10 scale.  

Also im sick about hearing about this game.

"
    then why come to the forums for it?
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DystopiaX
    @Claude said:
    " @Kyreo said:
    " @Claude said:
    but you realize that THAT is why they mentioned both of those games.  To get the attention of the people that liked Fable 2 and Oblivion.  I'm not saying they did this with malicious intent or misrepresentation...  It's just good advertising on their part. "
    Oh sure, but there again, I can see where they're coming from. When I read the review and saw those two games mentioned, I felt they were doing me a small service. If you liked these games for this reason, then you might like this one. I also think it shows the difference between RDR and a GTA game. "
    I think it's more that it gives people who don't know much about the game a basis to compare it to, rather than just describing something as abstract as character interaction or how the world feels.
    Earthborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Earthborn

not sure what that .75 gets me, but perhaps more bears?
    Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#31  Edited By Symphony

I wanna be hyped for this game but I just don't like the wild west ; ; Hopefully those who do find a lot of enjoyment out of it. It sounds like it's going to be really good by all accounts.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I was going to buy it but that .25 points off of a 10 has me worried. I notice major game releases that get reviewed before they hit the market are almost always positive. Plus call me paranoid but how can we trust a magazine that gets a majority of its subscription base through Gamestop. 
    Either way I preordered the game based on my love of Red Dead Revolver and Rockstar's track record with major game releases.

NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NakAttack
    @Blair said:
    " Let's see what Giant Bomb says.  That's the gaming opinion I respect most. "
    qft
    AArmyofJuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By AArmyofJuan
    @HomemadeZiggurat:  I'm not a huge sandbox fan but GTAIV 's engine is what justified the 10 scores.  Euphoria made that game what it is.  It was the little things, like when Niko would step on a body in the street and wouldn't just clip through it but actually step on it and lose balance.  It gave that game a sense of reality you hadn't seen in games up to that point.  I hope Red Dead has the same feel.  On the other side of the coin the Euphoria engine wasn't used to it's potential in the Force Unleashed but that's for another forum. ;)
    MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#35  Edited By MormonWarrior

Let's see...the original was rated for just blood and violence...let's check ESRB.org.

WHOA! Yep, it's GTA in the west alright. Nope, not playing it. Too bad, it could be cool. Aw heck, I hate Rockstar's games anyway. Who am I kidding? I think they're overrated. A lot.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#36  Edited By Mr_Skeleton
    @Brockly46: I came for other games but I saw this and thought to drop by to point out how ridiculous Gameinformer's rating system is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.