Is GiantBomb sitting this one out?

• 135 results
#51 Posted by Jimbo (9993 posts) -
@Jeff said:
"I'm not sure if it's worth the huge domino effect of lateness just to weigh in on a game that everyone's already covered."
It isn't, I don't think.  One timely review is better than two late ones.

Are you prepared to comment on why Giant Bomb didn't have a copy until launch, Jeff?  I totally understand if you aren't, but it seems in the interest of the consumer to understand the criteria being used to decide who gets a review copy and who doesn't.

Thanks.
#52 Posted by SneakyPenguins (242 posts) -

It is a really good game i would think Rockstar should want everybody to review the game. I cant see this game getting a bad score 

#53 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@3YearsToPlay said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @3YearsToPlay said:
" @The_Laughing_Man:  Well here is another one for you, more personal this time. I just hit "reply", is that a rookie GB mistake? I hate people who jump in and mess up a good thing! "
Quoting is much more fun. And how is that personal?  "
Cause is was @ You. If I hit "quote" and the quote is long, my cursor disappears below the text box and I can't scroll down to it, hence I can't type. I use Mozilla, is that a known issue? "
O uhh I heard about that. The no scrolling thing. I stopped using Firefox and moved to chrome which works real nice. 
#54 Posted by Microsteve (10 posts) -
@Mrskidders:  
oooh that's a nice handbag you have there
#55 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:

" @3YearsToPlay said:

" @3YearsToPlay said:
" @The_Laughing_Man:  Well here is another one for you, more personal this time. I just hit "reply", is that a rookie GB mistake? I hate people who jump in and mess up a good thing! "
Quoting is much more fun. And how is that personal?  "
Cause is was @ You. If I hit "quote" and the quote is long, my cursor disappears below the text box and I can't scroll down to it, hence I can't type. I use Mozilla, is that a known issue? "
O uhh I heard about that. The no scrolling thing. I stopped using Firefox and moved to chrome which works real nice.  "
you can just manually drag it down with the bottom-right-corner thingie (like I just had to do)  , annoying, but it works.

Concerning the review, I hope it happens even if late, like someone already said, its not actually out in europe until Friday for example, and its such a big release, it would be weird if GB didnt review it

#56 Posted by lolak47 (232 posts) -

How about not doing reviews for shit games like that PoP and others, and instead get reviews out of the better(more popular) games before release date !!!

#57 Posted by Horace (139 posts) -
@lolak47 said:
" How about not doing reviews for shit games like that PoP and others, and instead get reviews out of the better(more popular) games before release date !!! "
With the non-existent copy of the game they had?
#58 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@lolak47 said:
" How about not doing reviews for shit games like that PoP and others, and instead get reviews out of the better(more popular) games before release date !!! "
Are you gonna send them advance copies? 
#59 Posted by lolak47 (232 posts) -

ok maybe not RDR because they wouldnt send them a copy till late,but someone can play it a soon as they got it and beat it in a day n review  next day. come on u are hardcore gamers !! stop slacking. 
 but protocol review must be before release !!!

#60 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -
@lolak47 said:
That's why, more popular = more reviews. 

I would rather have them review a game that I had no idea about then a game that I knew was awesome.
#61 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@lolak47 said:
" ok maybe not RDR because they wouldnt send them a copy till late,but someone can play it a soon as they got it and beat it in a day n review  next day. come on u are hardcore gamers !! stop slacking.   but protocol review must be before release !!! "
Like what games? As of late there has only been crap. 
#62 Posted by lolak47 (232 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @lolak47 said:
" ok maybe not RDR because they wouldnt send them a copy till late,but someone can play it a soon as they got it and beat it in a day n review  next day. come on u are hardcore gamers !! stop slacking.   but protocol review must be before release !!! "
Like what games? As of late there has only been crap.  "
Prince of persia, split second, skate3, dead to rights, picross 3d ..... some of these not crap but who cares about any of them games anyway.
#63 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@lolak47 said:
" @lolak47 said:
Like what games? As of late there has only been crap.  "
Prince of persia, split second, skate3, dead to rights, picross 3d ..... some of these not crap but who cares about any of them games anyway. "
I am sure there are people who are interested in those games. You are not the only one viewing this site.  Picross 3d Got a lot of attention from people here. Not to mention Skate 3. Split second. 
#64 Posted by lolak47 (232 posts) -

well all im saying is that i have to turn to other websites like Game trailers or gamespot or ign for timely reviews of the more high profile games. which  is a shame because id rahter have the gaint bomb crew's reviews instead.

#65 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@lolak47 said:
" well all im saying is that i have to turn to other websites like Game trailers or gamespot or ign for timely reviews of the more high profile games. which  is a shame because id rahter have the gaint bomb crew's reviews instead. "
It is not GB fault for RDR. R* did not send quite a few people a advanced copy. And GB can not go out and steal it. So what do you suggest be done? 
#66 Posted by yani (413 posts) -

Instead of an official review maybe they could do a quick blog type thing with a few sentences from those that have played some of it.  I hope they get the time to play through the main storyline though, as my buddy, who has somehow finished it already (srsly don't think he has left his sofa since he got it), says the end of the game is "pretty rad!".

#67 Posted by AngelKore (160 posts) -

Fuck me this thread is stupid. As Jeff said before, it's because he has to play  the game first before you can review it. Someone made the ridiculous point that he had 20 hours and 45 minutes to play and review the game: do you know how much time a review alone takes to create? >_>

#68 Posted by lolak47 (232 posts) -

it looks like the have a copy now so beat it asap and review it by 2morrow,  but im not jsut talking bout RDR look how long ff13 review took, and im intrested in alpha protocol, please have a review before release.

#69 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@lolak47 said:

" it looks like the have a copy now so beat it asap and review it by 2morrow,  but im not jsut talking bout RDR look how long ff13 review took, and im intrested in alpha protocol, please have a review before release. "

Im gonna stop you right there. I do not want them to rush though a game. And to put other stuff on the side. That is just bad business and well stupid.  

Again..its not their decision about if they get advanced copies. You act as if they are magic.  

FF13 took so long cause he stopped playing the 360 version and Moved to PS3 plus its a 40 hours game! 
#70 Posted by AngelKore (160 posts) -
@lolak47 said:
" it looks like the have a copy now so beat it asap and review it by 2morrow,  but im not jsut talking bout RDR look how long ff13 review took, and im intrested in alpha protocol, please have a review before release. "
Do you really think that Jeff or any of the crew can beat a 20 hour game and have a proper, GB-quality review pumped out by tomorrow?
#71 Posted by lolak47 (232 posts) -

yes but thye have the game now dont they? and it's not like giant bomb is only 1 dude they have atleast 5 dudes who can review it so they souldnt be putting much "other stuff" aside. and what is this "other stuff" anyways red dead is the biggest thing this month surely they sould be more focused on that then   "other things" right now.

#72 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1595 posts) -
@lolak47 said:
"it looks like the have a copy now so beat it asap and review it by 2morrow,  but im not jsut talking bout RDR look how long ff13 review took, and im intrested in alpha protocol, please have a review before release. "

I crown you king of the retards
#73 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@lolak47 said:
" yes but thye have the game now dont they? and it's not like giant bomb is only 1 dude they have atleast 5 dudes who can review it so they souldnt be putting much "other stuff" aside. and what is this "other stuff" anyways red dead is the biggest thing this month surely they sould be more focused on that then   "other things" right now. "
Do you even know what they do? They each have jobs.  

If its the biggest thing this month. Why do you need their review?  

Alan wake might be someones biggest thing. POP could be the biggest thing for someone. That is YOUR view. 
#74 Posted by SneakyPenguins (242 posts) -
@lolak47 said:
if you are getting the game on release you are getting it no matter what generally speaking. Giantbomb is only 4 people and they do the best they can. FFXIII took to long i agree but for the most part i will wait longer for a quality review then something rushed. Games i need to wait for a review on I can wait a little longer for a good review because i use reviews for games Im on the fence about (Dead Space, and Mass Effect for example).
#75 Edited by Mars_Cleric (1595 posts) -
@lolak47 said:

"yes but thye have the game now dont they? and it's not like giant bomb is only 1 dude they have atleast 5 dudes who can review it so they souldnt be putting much "other stuff" aside. and what is this "other stuff" anyways red dead is the biggest thing this month surely they sould be more focused on that then   "other things" right now. "

it sounds like you already want the game so why don't you just buy it and stop being a bitch
#76 Posted by SneakyPenguins (242 posts) -

Why not look at the Quick Look also i find them handy

#77 Posted by bpwwhirl (98 posts) -
@lolak47: You are what is wrong with a huge portion of the gaming public.  Only paying attention to high profile, big budget games.  Here's a tip for you: big budget games can still suck.  And smaller games that you've never heard of can be awesome.
#78 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@bpwwhirl said:
" @lolak47: You are what is wrong with a huge portion of the gaming public.  Only paying attention to high profile, big budget games.  Here's a tip for you: big budget games can still suck.  And smaller games that you've never heard of can be awesome. "
Deadly premonition is a perfect example. 
#79 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1595 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @bpwwhirl said:
" @lolak47: You are what is wrong with a huge portion of the gaming public.  Only paying attention to high profile, big budget games.  Here's a tip for you: big budget games can still suck.  And smaller games that you've never heard of can be awesome. "
Deadly premonition is a perfect example.  "

fact
#80 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2482 posts) -

You people are on the wrong website. Giantbomb has never been a game review site, as far as I can tell. They don't succumb to the ridiculous RDR hype, and I applaud them for it. Don't cave in GB, don't review this game!

#81 Posted by simian (868 posts) -

While they've never expressed pro-cowboy sentiments I believe we can take this to mean that GIANTBOMB HATES COWBOYS. This is further proven in the lack of cowboy specific coverage and AVERAGE REVIEWS for cowboy based games.
As forum users and contributors to the site it is our DUTY to see that this culture of hate comes to an end. Until RDR is given it's deserved 6 STAR RATING we should continue to create short terse topics to show that OUR VOICES WILL BE HEARD at the expense of site usability and keyword indexing cycles on the postgres systems.

#82 Posted by lolak47 (232 posts) -

i play mostly play non big budget  games anway currently playing majesty2 and knights of honor (old game )and mount and blade thank  DAVE  for doing quiklooks of some of them.
 only play a few big budget games likethe gta series thats why i want impression of read dead from giant bomb.

#83 Posted by SneakyPenguins (242 posts) -
@atomic_dumpling: I think of giantbomb as a review site. They have the best review on the internet. Games I need a review to decide on I dont need day 1
#84 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@lolak47 said:
" i play mostly play non big budget  games anway currently playing majesty2 and knights of honor (old game )and mount and blade thank  DAVE  for doing quiklooks of some of them.  only play a few big budget games likethe gta series thats why i want impression of read dead from giant bomb. "
Go check out any of the other RDR reviews. If you are basing your buy on one website. You got some issues. 
#85 Edited by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

I would of liked a review because I know GBs would be honest. Theres alot of stink around the RDR reviews, someone was even fired for letting slip that Rockstar demanded a good review. This is possibly why GB didn't get an early copy.

But having said that, by the time the review was done most people would have bought it already. So yeah, just aslong as they talk about it on the bombcast that should be enough.

#86 Posted by SneakyPenguins (242 posts) -
@Vorbis said:
"  I would of liked a review because I know GBs would be honest. Theres alot of stink around the RDR reviews, someone was even fired for letting slip that Rockstar demanded a good review. This is possibly why GB didn't get an early copy. But having said that by the time it would be done most people would have bought it already. So yeah, just aslong as they talk about it on the bombcast that should be enough. "
this is why i only read GiantBomb reviews people who got this game early (ING, Gamespot, etc.) are agreeing even if the game sucks to not tell people, thats dishonest 
#87 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Vorbis said:
"  I would of liked a review because I know GBs would be honest. Theres alot of stink around the RDR reviews, someone was even fired for letting slip that Rockstar demanded a good review. This is possibly why GB didn't get an early copy. But having said that by the time it would be done most people would have bought it already. So yeah, just aslong as they talk about it on the bombcast that should be enough. "
It was never said they demanded one. They hinted for one. And that story has changed many times. First it was demand. Then it became a request. Then demand again. Then it was hinting. 
#88 Posted by apekatt (58 posts) -

I believe Neil Gaiman best summarized the issue when asked about whether long waiting times between novels (specifically from author George R.R. Martin)  is 'letting readers down'.  

Quoting slightly out of context, with some names changed:      
"GiantBomb is not your bitch.

This is a useful thing to know, perhaps a useful thing to point out when you find yourself thinking that possibly  GiantBomb is, indeed, your bitch, and should be out there typing what you want to read right now.

People are not machines. Writers and artists aren't machines.

You're complaining about  GiantBomb doing other things than reviewing the game you want to read about, as if your reading of other reviews on this site is a contract with them: that you would give some pageviews, and GiantBomb for their part would spend every waking hour until the end of time, writing the reviews that most interest  you." 

I would have figured most of the GiantBomb users read GB reviews because of the personalities behind the reviews, and the slightly unique twist perspectives offered.  

(Pst: Check the full/non-modified version @  http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/05/entitlement-issues.html   )    

#89 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -
@SneakyPenguins said:
" @Vorbis said:
this is why i only read GiantBomb reviews people who got this game early (ING, Gamespot, etc.) are agreeing even if the game sucks to not tell people, thats dishonest  "
the game has a fuckton of good reviews, if you think they were all paid for or something sinister like that, you need a new tinfoil hat, the one you have at the moment is too small
#90 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Rhaknar said:
" @SneakyPenguins said:
" @Vorbis said:
this is why i only read GiantBomb reviews people who got this game early (ING, Gamespot, etc.) are agreeing even if the game sucks to not tell people, thats dishonest  "
the game has a fuckton of good reviews, if you think they were all paid for or something sinister like that, you need a new tinfoil hat, the one you have at the moment is too small "
Even people here who said they HATED GTA are saying they love this game. It sounds more like LOLAK wants his cake and he wants it now. 
#91 Posted by TwistedGamer (106 posts) -

RDR got shafted confirmed! 

:P

#92 Edited by CharlesAlanRatliff (5463 posts) -
@Timmmycap said:

" @Milkman:  ok so Split/seconds review is out now? POP: the forgotten sands review is out now, they may or may not have gotten those game early but still could post them today. so they had until midnight last night to play the game and post a review, it is now 8:43 pacific time, that is 20 hours and 45 min to play and review? that is a really long time. "

The amount of stupidity in this post is astounding. Holy shit. 

Edit: Same thing goes for @lolak47. Honestly one of the stupidest members I have seen on this site.
#93 Posted by SneakyPenguins (242 posts) -
@Rhaknar said:
" @SneakyPenguins said:
" @Vorbis said:
the game has a fuckton of good reviews, if you think they were all paid for or something sinister like that, you need a new tinfoil hat, the one you have at the moment is too small "
I know the game is good and i know they didn't get paid Im saying if the game was bad they would still give it a better review because they agreed to the good review before they got the game.
#94 Posted by JokerSmilez (1293 posts) -

It's almost as if some people think that it's only possible to buy a game on the day of it's release. That GB has to rush a review out as quickly as possible because without their opinion, they can't buy the game, and if they don't buy the game NOW, all the copies in the world will DISAPPEAR!! OH NOES!!!

Seriously, people who are dying for a review immediately: there are dozens of reviews from other sites on the internet. If you really want GB's opinion, wait. If they do decide to not review it, is that really the end of the world? They don't review every game.

If I were running a website like GB, and I had to deal with dozens of people constantly bitching about sparsity of video reviews, low scores on certain games (*cough*Lost Planet 2), lack of day one reviews when they didn't get a copy until the games release, etc. I would just say "F this!" and stop doing reviews. It doesn't seem worth it.

#95 Posted by Jeffsekai (7052 posts) -

RDR is awesome, there is your review go buy it.

#96 Posted by DjDonFrancisco (299 posts) -

This is the most ridiculous thread that i've ever seen on the internet.

#97 Posted by Brendan (8136 posts) -
@Timmmycap:
@MaskSalesman:
To the retard noobs with no posts:  If you use the site at all, you'll realise they have mentioned it more than once that they are in the process of reviewing.  Or just go to Gamestop or Neogaf where you belong.
#98 Posted by yani (413 posts) -

I just hope the guys get a chance to play this game.  They have to play a lot of games, many of which they would never chose to, so it would be nice if they get the chance to play, what I believe to be, a very well made game/story.  
   The only downside is the game doesn't take into account if your playing as an evil SoB in the plot missions, but then, you can't have everything.  Also, the mp seems to be a bit broken at the moment.

#99 Posted by Brendan (8136 posts) -
@lolak47:
To the other retard noob invading the site with your idiocy.  Go back to neogaf.  You're posts are hurting our brains.  Thank you very much.
#100 Posted by SkullcrusherMountain (960 posts) -
@Jeff: 

Thanks, Jeff.  I'm pretty sure we'll be fine with this.  "It's pretty good, you should probably play it." is essentially what the review would be anyway.  I'm much more interested in an Alpha Protocol review from GB anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.