Mocap a Horse?

#1 Posted by ZGoon (272 posts) -

Horses sure look realistic... can you put those weird mocap balls on a horse, or are there laws against that?

#2 Posted by DystopiaX (5310 posts) -
@ZGoon: you probably could, but I don't know if there's a point. The way mocap is now is that it just registers the way the skeletal structures move, so it's really only useful for fine movements, like that of people's facial expressions and whatnot. I think it's more just really good animation.
#3 Edited by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -
#4 Posted by Darkstar614 (1098 posts) -

Yeah I thought some other game was famous for this already.
 
Conan? something

#5 Edited by Rayfield (2097 posts) -

 


I read a news story once about a circus in Alabama or somewhere in the 1940s. One of the elephants got spooked and accidentally trampled a dude. As a result, the circus organisers fucking hung the elephant
 
Now I'm not saying mocapping a horse is the same thing, but it's probably in the same ballpark of cruelty.
#6 Edited by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

You can, it's easy enough to do, your just sticking reflective balls or stickers on them - it causes them no harm.  
 
Don't assume it's all about MoCap work though, a lot of traditional research has gone into the creation of the horses. The work was strongly inspired by George Stubbs's work, you can tell that when the horses are in  full gallop.

#7 Posted by Mmmslash (2168 posts) -

The guys always talk about how one of the Onimusha games mocaped a horse.

#8 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

MoCapping animals of all kinds is common practice for film-makers these days... productions like The Lord of the Rings used it extensively.

#9 Posted by Angre_Leperkan439 (333 posts) -

Now, being the idiot I am, I'm not sure what MoCapping is. Is that where developers make horses wear those little balls and use that to map out animations? Cuz I remember a Mortal Kombat character named Mokap, and he was a guy with one of those animation suits with the little balls all over it. I just wanna make sure I'm on the right page here :)

#10 Posted by Gabriel (4062 posts) -
@Rayfield said:
"

 


I read a news story once about a circus in Alabama or somewhere in the 1940s. One of the elephants got spooked and accidentally trampled a dude. As a result, the circus organisers fucking hung the elephant.  Now I'm not saying mocapping a horse is the same thing, but it's probably in the same ballpark of cruelty. "
That...would be a thing to see, I'm picturing a Wild West Gallows with an elephant having a black mask over it's face.
#11 Posted by MikkaQ (10293 posts) -

You can kill a horse and eat it, who cares if you strap balls to it. 
 
@Rayfield said:

"I read a news story once about a circus in Alabama or somewhere in the 1940s. One of the elephants got spooked and accidentally trampled a dude. As a result, the circus organisers fucking hung the elephant.  Now I'm not saying mocapping a horse is the same thing, but it's probably in the same ballpark of cruelty. "
No, it's not even the same sport. Hanging an elephant and putting stickers on a horse aren't even remotely close, are you high?
#12 Posted by HatKing (5953 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:
"You can kill a horse and eat it, who cares if you strap balls to it. 
 
@Rayfield said:
"I read a news story once about a circus in Alabama or somewhere in the 1940s. One of the elephants got spooked and accidentally trampled a dude. As a result, the circus organisers fucking hung the elephant.  Now I'm not saying mocapping a horse is the same thing, but it's probably in the same ballpark of cruelty. "
No, it's not even the same sport. Hanging an elephant and putting stickers on a horse aren't even remotely close, are you high? "


They better give those horses mo-cap credits.

 
Mo-Cap Actor 3............. Peter Nimcompoop

#13 Posted by WTF_BBQ (8 posts) -
@Rayfield: rofl they hung the elephant can you post a link to the article? :D
#14 Posted by sixghost (1679 posts) -
@PeasantAbuse said:
"  "Our horse motion capture data and 3D models are already in use in a number of AAA video games"  
http://www.horselocomotion.com/index.html     Check out that sick freestyle yo. "
Speed-horse?
#15 Edited by jmrwacko (2443 posts) -
@Rayfield said:

"  Now I'm not saying mocapping a horse is the same thing, but it's probably in the same ballpark of cruelty. "

Now, I don't know what exactly it's like to be a horse, but I'm pretty sure being outfitted in motion capture gear and trotting around isn't quite as bad as being shot, electrocuted, and hung twice.
 
@WTF_BBQ said:

" @Rayfield: rofl they hung the elephant can you post a link to the article? :D "


 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_the_elephant
#16 Posted by Skytylz (4033 posts) -
@ZGoon: You can cut them off animals and I bet you could mocap them if you really wanted too.
#17 Posted by MrSnow (1213 posts) -

Hopefully there will be different types of horses.

#18 Posted by Coolarman (738 posts) -

Didn't they mocap horses for Avatar. 
 
I am pretty sure i saw a video where they did that

#19 Posted by The_A_Drain (3910 posts) -

MoCapping a horse, cruel? Are you fucking mental? 
 
You stick little white reflective baubles to them, it causes no more harm than a band-aid. But obviously that's equal to HANGING A FUCKING ELEPHANT. Yeah, totally the same thing... /sarcasm.

#20 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -

Horse, gotta pay the bills man.
 
Some see it as selling out, but who's gonna look after the horses when we're gone?

#21 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

This is the first thing that comes up when you type in "Onimusha Mo-Capped A Horse" on Google. 
 
(Most recent Bombcast, thank you for convincing me to search for this.)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.