Paid Red Dead Redemption DLC Adds Zombies and Online Poker

• 81 results
Posted by MattBodega (1903 posts) -

Don't take that copy of Red Dead Redemption out of your console just yet: Rockstar has announced four additional DLC packs that update virtually every facet of RDR with new game modes, features, items, and achievements.

Unlike the Outlaws To The End DLC, these additional RDR content packs will be proper paid content. Three of the four packs will run $10 each, while one pack has an unannounced price (which I think is secret code for $15). In the grand tradition of Fallout 3 before it, the new Red Dead DLC will be doled out one at a time in rapid succession, starting this August and continuing through "Fall 2010" (the last announced time period for the DLC). I expect we'll see new RDR DLC once a month between August and November.

Like this, but at night and with zombie cowboys.

== TEASER ==But what's inside those DLC packs that will send you back to the last days of the old west? The more obvious additions to the game are new multiplayer maps, multiplayer skins to choose from, gameplay modes, weapon types (a damn tomahawk!) and challenges for those weapons (a gold tomahawk!). Where the DLC gets a little more interesting are some of the more esoteric additions. The most exciting DLC pack, Liars And Cheats, adds multiplayer Poker and Liar's Dice to the game. Hell. Yes. If you can still cheat online and catch other people cheating and force them into a duel, than I'll send Rockstar my 800 points tomorrow.

Far more groan-inducing (Editors note: Clean out your desk!) is the Undead Nightmare DLC pack, which will add various "ghost towns" to New Austin, pitting you and your posse against zombies. I understand why Rockstar feels the need to add a zombie gametype to the game, but I believe zombies in video games have already been called. It's done! Zombies are done! You can't call the called. It's been called.

Zombie cougars? I'm done. Screw you, Rockstar.

Actually, the Undead Nightmare DLC also promises to add new animal types to Red Dead Redemption, which I imagine means "undead versions of animals already in the game." But the idea of going out into New Austin and hunting a zombie bear sounds weirdly compelling. Totally non-canon and immersion-crushing, but compelling.

And expect new achievements and trophies to be added with each DLC pack, so if you want to keep your RDR S-Rank, get ready to work (and fork over cash) to hold it.

Here's the full DLC breakdown.

DLC #1: Legends and Killers Pack

• Launch: "Early August" 2010
  • Price: $10/800 Microsoft Points
  • 9 new multiplayer map locations 
  • 8 new multiplayer character skins
  • New projectile weapon: the Tomahawk
  • New Weapon challanges
  • New achievements/trophies

DLC #2: Liars and Cheats Pack

• Launch: TBD
  • New competitive multiplayer modes 
  • Multiplayer mini-games in Free Roam
  • Attack and Defend multiplayer competitive mode and challenges
  • New multiplayer horse races
  • More than 8 additional multiplayer characters, including characters from the RDR singlepayer campaign
  • Multiplayer versions of Liars Dice and Poker(sold!)
  • New weapon: the Explosive Rifle 
  • New weapon challenges
  • New achievements/trophies

DLC #3: Free Roam Pack

• Launch: TBD
  • Price: TBD
  • New modes, challenges and gang hideouts
  • New action areas and defensive placements
  • Posse scoring and leaderboards
  • New anti-griefing measures in Free Roam

DLC #4: Undead Nightmare Pack

• Launch: "Fall" 2010
  • Ghost towns and cemeteries
  • Brand new single-player adventure, challenges and quests
  • 8 new multiplayer zombie characters
  • Additional animals unleashed in the world
  • New dynamic events

That is a ton of new content... as it should be, since buying every single DLC pack will run you at least $30. August isn't too far off at this point, so we'll see how that new content turns out. In the meantime, I'm got cards to hide under the table.
#1 Posted by ka_tet19 (80 posts) -

Sounds pretty cool

#2 Posted by GioVANNI (1285 posts) -

Awesome.  I remember the zombie Nazis mode in WaW was awesome, maybe they can strike the same niche with zombie cowboys?

#3 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Online Poker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#4 Posted by Onigenko (335 posts) -

Might actually pick up that undead expansion, just because every game should have zombies.

#5 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -

Shit is weak.

#6 Posted by Dustpan (1690 posts) -

"single player adventure" yay!

#7 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2119 posts) -

Will definitely be buying all of them.

#8 Posted by OddyKnocky (37 posts) -

More Zombies? I fucking hate zombies.

#9 Posted by HT101 (1151 posts) -

Sounds like Rockstar is taking a slightly different but still good model for the DLC for this game.  I may wait until they package this or put it into a GOTY edition even though I already own the game.

#10 Posted by EveretteScott (1449 posts) -

Seems like some of this should have been in the original release. Like most of the free roam stuff, since it was rather empty to begin with.

#11 Posted by JellyFish_Gsus (769 posts) -

This looks.......Pretty damn awesome. Online poker would be brilliant.

#12 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -

This is exactly what i wanted out of RDR dlc. I wanted some, but not much single player stuff because the multiplayer is so damn good and is really what keeps me playing that game.

#13 Posted by MegaMetaTurtle (414 posts) -

Makes me wish I could play the multiplayer :(

*Le sigh*

#14 Posted by ribeye (411 posts) -

nice, can't wait to play some poker with you chuckle heads
#15 Posted by steelknight2000 (433 posts) -

You're fired Kessler!

#16 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

This is some very nice DLC.

#17 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4580 posts) -

fuck it.

#18 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

I'm hoping for some more single-player stuff. 

#19 Posted by Kiro (288 posts) -

Thought it was wired that you can't play poker online, guess this explains why.

#20 Edited by TheCreamFilling (1224 posts) -

Zombies?! Really? Well I'm already bored of this game, so I won't be getting any of these, especially since so much of this stuff is for multiplayer which is horrible. GTA IV style singleplayer additions would be awesome though, like a prequel with Marston still in the gang.

#21 Posted by MythDarK (536 posts) -
@OddyKnocky said:
" More Zombies? I fucking hate zombies. "
A good reason to buckle up and cap a dozens of brainless skulls then. ^^
#22 Posted by Landon (4130 posts) -

That's a nice amount of content for the price, though I wish they would cater to the single player crowd. I don't have Live anymore :(

#23 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -

Pack #3 'TBD' isn't code for $15, it's code for free, notice how it's the only one w/o achievements. And adds 'anti-griefing' something or other, they're not gonna make you pay for proper game balance. At least, I hope not.

#24 Posted by BergDK (270 posts) -

I liked RDR but expecting people to pay upwards of 100$'s or more to get the 'complete' product is ridiculous 

RDR is going to the pile of games I used to like which includes Fallout 3, Dragon Age: Origins and fucking everything else I've played this gen that has had shit dlc added to it...

Can only hope that people one day realize that what they see as added value is actually just the publishers taking advantage of the ignorant majority willing to bend over and take it like a bitch.

#25 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5380 posts) -

I have been wanting to play Red Dead Redemption's Poker with real people since my first game of it. I even had a dream where they would release an XBLA version of it for $10! Looks like my dream partially came true, and I shall be buying this day one and then spend hours playing Poker like I did in the single-player.

#26 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

#2 is the only good one

#27 Posted by FireSketch (827 posts) -

I hate to judge this since I don't know how it's implemented, but I feel the "anti griefing measures" should be patched in. Can't see myself picking any of these up though anyway.. I don't play online and I'll be done with the game before the zombies are released. 

I like my canon not uncanon-ed, anyway. If that sentence means anything.

#28 Edited by The_Bad_Doctor (10 posts) -

poker cool I hope you can cheat and duel if caught.

#29 Edited by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

I was completely won over once I read "Online Poker."

#30 Posted by Oni (2095 posts) -

Having to pay for poker is lame. Should've been in in the first place. I don't think I'll be buying any of it, unless it somehow makes the multiplayer more fun.

#31 Posted by Dustpan (1690 posts) -
@Hourai said:
" I'm hoping for some more single-player stuff.  "
#32 Posted by MisterMouse (3541 posts) -

cougars will be killing you... non stop.

#33 Posted by TotalEklypse (1000 posts) -

i just hope the zombie mode is true survival type. i like me some coop zombie molestering 

#34 Posted by Death_Burnout (3793 posts) -

Multiplayer this, multiplayer that...ahhh i dunno, i enjoyed the multiplayer i guess, i always thought it was lacking so...who knows.

But zombies? my faith in RDR has suddenly diminished

#35 Edited by MeatSim (10775 posts) -

I got 100% completion, I don't want to play this game anymore. Zombies and online mini-games don't change that.

#36 Posted by max3000 (370 posts) -

Wait WHAT?! Fucking.. zombies? This is kind of crazy.

#37 Posted by WilliamHenry (1201 posts) -
@BergDK said:
"

I liked RDR but expecting people to pay upwards of 100$'s or more to get the 'complete' product is ridiculous 

RDR is going to the pile of games I used to like which includes Fallout 3, Dragon Age: Origins and fucking everything else I've played this gen that has had shit dlc added to it...

Can only hope that people one day realize that what they see as added value is actually just the publishers taking advantage of the ignorant majority willing to bend over and take it like a bitch.

"

Nobody is forcing you to buy any of the DLC. If you don't want to play it, then don't. Some people like getting more content for a game they enjoy, even if they have to pay for it.
#38 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -

For everyone freaking out about Zombies, they're in the GTAIV MP too, granted just as a skin, but this is NOT new territory for Rockstar.

#39 Posted by fedorajay (405 posts) -

I don't know if I like the zombies part. I know no one is forcing me to buy it but I look at RDR as all my favourite spaghetti westerns rolled into one and zombies might take away from that experience.  Train jacking and bank robbing I can see. Zombies? Just seems out of place.

#40 Posted by papercut (3451 posts) -

Zombie COUGARS. Dude! not cool!

#41 Posted by BlazeHedgehog (1082 posts) -

Zombies? Bleh.

#42 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -

i love how all the news comes after some one posts it in the forums.

#43 Edited by Yzzerdd (521 posts) -
Zombies? Give me a break, RDR is one Rockstars best because it feels more grounded than any of their previous games even GTAIV. What a uncreative and pandering thing to put into such a refreshing game, Red Dead deserves DLC of the caliber of Gay Tony and Lost and the Damned.

#44 Posted by teh_destroyer (3561 posts) -

I want me some Liar's Dice multiplayer competition.

#45 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

$10 for Zombies, no thanks. $10 to unlock poker and characters in multiplayer. Nope. Oh and I have to wait for pack 3, and pay $10 (possibly $15) to get 'anti-griefing' measures for free roam. Thanks but no thanks.

Most of my friend list has 100% and moved on, or  traded it in. Trying to win back support with busted multiplayer is not the way to do it, 'The lost and the Damned' and 'Ballad of Gay Tony' approach is definitely the way to go.

#46 Posted by BergDK (270 posts) -

@DivineCC:
True but i like having the 'complete' product

If publishers charged 100$ on launch and didn't release any premium dlc, I wouldn't have a problem.  

But selling a product to someone and then going "by the way, you need to pay us more money if you want the the full experience" is just a dirty business method.

#47 Posted by Olivaw (1215 posts) -

Zombies.

Ugh.

Oh well, multiplayer Liar's Dice! And Poker! Sweet.

Now if they would just get the trains working in multiplayer it would be perfect. I would seriously pay ten dollars just for working multiplayer trains.

Think about the possibilities!

#48 Posted by Hyuzen (444 posts) -

The 3rd dlc pack doesn't have much content. If they charge 15 bucks for it it'll be such a rip off. I bet they're trying to release it for free right now

#49 Posted by mubblegum (250 posts) -

Done with zombies DLC. Every game seems to be releasing a zombie DLC pack. It was cool for a while. Now it's old.

#50 Posted by gateht (95 posts) -

Nazi Zombie Cougars...now that's what this game needs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.