Please boycott this game

#101 Posted by kingkorn69 (321 posts) -
@TimAllen624 said:
" But if I boycott it all their hard work will be in vein. "
Agreed
#102 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Zajtalan said:
" im not going to boycott it because i want to play it but they should knock this shit out "
@SJSchmidt93 said:
" I agree that that's wrong but I'm still gonna buy the game because it looks awesome. "
my reply would be similar if that game had a PC version =/
#103 Posted by pause422 (6188 posts) -

I agree to boycotting this thread. You don't even think of what you are going to say before you say it.

#104 Posted by CaptainObvious (2998 posts) -

Nyet.

#105 Posted by Terry_Bogard (303 posts) -
@buzz_killington said:
" @ADTR_ZERO: So you're happy people being forced to work 16 hours a day and 6 days a week with no extra pay to make a damned game? "
Are they being chained up and held there against their will? no? If they really don't like it they could just leave you know... And Boycotting games is lame :\
#106 Posted by TheDoorman (534 posts) -

Wouldn't boycotting have a negative effect on these employees that you feel bad for?  That probably isn't a smart decision.
#107 Posted by dyslekt (281 posts) -

Im boycotting game boycotts!

#108 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

But it looks awesome.
#109 Posted by Goly (843 posts) -
@TimAllen624 said:
" But if I boycott it all their hard work will be in vein. "
QFMFT
#110 Posted by roofy (1005 posts) -
@buzz_killington said:
" @ADTR_ZERO: So you're happy people being forced to work 16 hours a day and 6 days a week with no extra pay to make a damned game? "
people have choices.
you cant do something to someone without them letting you do it to them.

16 hours isnt that long and 6 days a week isnt outrageous.

if they have issues with it then they should find employment elsewhere
#111 Posted by Wolfgang (9 posts) -
@buzz_killington said:
They're hardly being forced. They can leave the job any time they like. I highly doubt that they're being held captive in the Rockstar San Diego offices basment...
#112 Posted by Binman88 (3687 posts) -

I don't feel like fighting their battle for them. If they're so unhappy they can leave.

#113 Posted by Jimbo (9814 posts) -

Boo hoo.  They have employment contracts don't they?  Nobody is forcing them to stay.

#114 Posted by krisp (31 posts) -
@buzz_killington said:
So forcing them to quit work is somehow a better solution?
#115 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -

No, if they don't want to work the hours that the company required, they can fucking quit. It's a free country.

#116 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

No, because I really want to play this game, however, this definitely needs to be stamped out of Rockstar, and any other development house which treats it's employees so poorly..

#117 Edited by Slippy (735 posts) -
@buzz_killington said:

I'm not happy - but frankly, I don't care. That's their issue, and it's not going to affect whether I buy a game I want to play. Things like underhanded exclusivity deals, making me feel like a pirate and a general money-grubbing mentality made me stop giving a fuck about the majority of game developers. And that's coming from someone who is studying game design.
#118 Posted by Snail (8606 posts) -

No.

Because you've probably bought many, many games whose development procedure was far more unhumane than the one at hand without knowing it. So I say fuck that. I'll buy the game depending on reviews.

#119 Posted by DirrtyNinja (715 posts) -
Really, who gives a shit.
#120 Posted by ki11tank (682 posts) -

if they've been working on it for 4 years and now need to crunch this hard maybe they should have done better to begin with.

#121 Posted by ahoodedfigure (4240 posts) -

The last thing I want to do is let these people's work not get bought.  That would mean their unnecessary sacrifice wound up being for nothing.

I think the good thing that came from this is that it went public.  Now there may be pressure on the company to act more responsibly.  Boycotting this particular product isn't the answer, though holding the company to accounts for what they're doing sure is.

#122 Posted by eclipsesis (1242 posts) -

and just think if everyone boycotts it they will all get fired as well.

#123 Posted by therabidfrog (349 posts) -

Now I really want to play the game. I mean it's infused with the sweet aroma of slave labor. Delicious!

#124 Posted by Soap (3592 posts) -

There are far better causes to be spending your time on than this. Game designers know the buisness they are getting into when they sign up for it, trust me.

#125 Posted by DarkShaper (1335 posts) -

Sure that's a terrible thing but there are many products that are made under far worse conditions why don't you boycott them? Also internet boycotts might be one one of the most useless things in the world. Left 4 Dead 2 sold well despite the boycott and so did MW 2. 

#126 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -
#127 Posted by Curser (32 posts) -

Well all worker rights aside.....can't wait to play this game looks sick

#128 Posted by ErgoProxy77 (550 posts) -

Sure Rockstar needs to fix this issue, but I'm still buying the game.  

#129 Posted by stephengotlost (703 posts) -

Well, considering how the developers are putting so much effort into this game. It will be a shame for some to neglect their handiwork purposely.

#130 Posted by Jeust (10655 posts) -

I won't buy it.

#131 Edited by ZmillA (2271 posts) -

I don't think that should be on the game page, it should be on the rockstar san diego page (if on any page on this site).

Im not going to boycott this game.

#132 Posted by mrfizzy (1529 posts) -

If its true that the employees have been forced to work illegal hours then its not up to us gamers to help them by a few of us refusing to buy the game. Its up to those that have been wronged to take their (probs legitimate) complaints to whoever the workplace authority is in the US (i am not familiar with US law so im not going to pretend i know who they would take it to). 

#133 Posted by Karn (690 posts) -
@buzz_killington said:
If you love it.
#134 Posted by warxsnake (2650 posts) -

and if you boycott the game, everyone who worked hard on the game wont get paid and will get fired. so basically you are punishing them?

#135 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

If the workers think it's a problem, they can stick up for themselves. That being said, I wasn't gonna buy the game anyways. (at least most likely, I haven't seen too much of it.)

#136 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

and I'm sure the game they were forced to work 16 hours a day and 6 days a week sell like crap would be just the pick me up they would need

#137 Posted by IndeedCodyBrown (402 posts) -

How About No?
#138 Posted by CornontheCobbe (2645 posts) -

I was going to look into it... however after hearing this, maybe not..

#139 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

So we should just not buy the game that they slaved over for 12 hours?

They have bad work conditions and try to make a game and then when it's all over and finally released, you want us to not reward them?

#140 Posted by IzzyGraze (850 posts) -

I'll have to do more research to decide but thanks for mentioning it.

#141 Posted by kashif1 (1428 posts) -
@buzz_killington: yes and lets boycott the plastic industry, clothing industry, and nikes.  Boycotts simply dont work.
#142 Edited by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@baconbits33 said:

" @buzz_killington: You do realize that in other countries people work from 10-17 hour shifts right? They work out in the horrific elements, most of the time no lunch, coworkers that will beat them if they fuck up, the material they are working with contains chemicals, or their workstations are similar to that of 1800's style factories in Ireland and therefore can easily kill you and since they don't have the protective gear a lot of them get sick or kill them, and all that and they get paid roughly around.... $15-$30 a day? Oh and they work all week.   Seriously working 15-16 hour shifts is what I had to do for one of my summer jobs as landscaping and construction, my father has those shifts all the time, and our troops work shifts twice and sometime triple that long. At least these people get breaks in between these times, and they get to sit at a desk and work on a computer and get paid around $15-$20 and hour and if not higher, so if you get depressed about it then too fucking bad. These goddamn labor unions have fucked up everything, if you can't handle working for 16 hours then you are pathetic. Don't expect sympathy from me, or from most of the world because frankly if that's upsetting news for you guys then fuck that. "

What utter bullshit, especially if by 'other countries' you mean established first world economies.  Most western nations have a basic 38hr working week, Ireland included.  You can't just pull one type of work and compare it to another entirely.  Unprofessional Foremen led physical labour =/ Degree Qualified White Collar work.  I swear man, you love pulling shit out your ass and calling it peanut butter.
#143 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

NEVER its a ROCKSTAR game i will never not buy one!

#144 Posted by karatetron (692 posts) -

that sucks, but this game looks awesome. and yeah, not buying the game won't help the rockstar employees at all.

#145 Edited by louiedog (2335 posts) -
#146 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -
#147 Edited by ZmillA (2271 posts) -

Your 100% of a new story that isn't 100% sure? (lol I gave a serious response to that line)

and that story is talking about it in terms of making a profit not quality of finished product.

#148 Posted by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1530 posts) -
@louiedog said:
"  http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/12/sources-red-dead-redemption-development-in-trouble/  It looks like boycotting might not be so difficult. Employees say the game has huge problems. "
This is nuts, just because the game has sounded promising and looked incredible from that video released.  I'm not sure how it is but one guy said "it's coming along now", so we will see.  I really hope it turns out well.
#149 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Umm, no.

#150 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5425 posts) -

I don't boycott things.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.