Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

RDR: The Stuff You Missed

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Listening to this weeks bombcast I heard a load of information about Red Dead Redemption which I totally missed out on when it was explained ingame. Having blundered around without a Lasso for ages, I know this game can be pretty fucking terrible at explaining new mechanics. 

For example I had no idea that wearing the Bandanna meant your fame and honour wasn't affected by your actions. I have played a whole chunk of the game wearing that thing purely because I thought it made Marston look like a badass - now I find out I didn't get any fame from that stuff? That's fucking bullshit. 

I didn't know you could find animal locations on your map for the hunting quests. Thanks for letting me know, RDR. 

I also didn't know about the checkpoint system. If you die on a mission you restart at the beginning of that mission, but if you die in the wilderness it reverts you to your last save? I lost £2000 I had just won at poker because I thought you just respawned at your house like it was a fucking hospital in GTA4. WHY HAS THIS SHIT NOT BEEN EXPLAINED PROPERLY?? 

Lastly the whole Horse thing completely mystifies me. I have a horse and it's pretty good. There are horses I can buy in shops and other horses in the wild I can break in. If I get a new horse what happens to my old horse? How do I know which horse is better? 

What the fuck, Rockstar. What the fuck. 

Anyone else have any knowledge they want to share? Any other secrets I should know about? Because this game is rubbish at explaining shit.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

I agree it's not clear sometimes, but that is more of a good thing than a bad thing to me. It doesn't interrupt the experience to constantly explain everything. But at the same time most things are explained somewhere if you just pay attention and keep your eyes open. 

I don't know, it is crappy, but it makes the game more mysterious or something. I'm way too tired to properly explain this.  :P

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By shirogane

Also annoying that it doesn't tell you any information about your horse. 

The hitching and horses is one of the most annoying things that isn't explained. Essentially you can have one horse at a time. If you hitch a horse, that becomes your steed, and replaces the old one. I accidentally hitched a donkey once, went out on some other horse, which dissappeared or i did a mission or something. Called, and got a freakin donkey. 

One other thing with horses, why do they seem to randomly dissappear in thieves landing?
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Hamz

The more I hear about this game the lower I set it's priority level in my rental list...

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Hamz said:
    " The more I hear about this game the lower I set it's priority level in my rental list... "
    It's fun. Don't let things like this keep you from playing it. People love to nit-pick.
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Shirogane said:
    " Also annoying that it doesn't tell you any information about your horse.  The hitching and horses is one of the most annoying things that isn't explained. Essentially you can have one horse at a time. If you hitch a horse, that becomes your steed, and replaces the old one. I accidentally hitched a donkey once, went out on some other horse, which dissappeared or i did a mission or something. Called, and got a freakin donkey.  One other thing with horses, why do they seem to randomly dissappear in thieves landing? "
    OOOOH. So you hitch your horse to secure it? Huh. So... how do you know what the best horse is?
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Sweep said:
    " @Shirogane said:
    " Also annoying that it doesn't tell you any information about your horse.  The hitching and horses is one of the most annoying things that isn't explained. Essentially you can have one horse at a time. If you hitch a horse, that becomes your steed, and replaces the old one. I accidentally hitched a donkey once, went out on some other horse, which dissappeared or i did a mission or something. Called, and got a freakin donkey.  One other thing with horses, why do they seem to randomly dissappear in thieves landing? "
    OOOOH. So you hitch your horse to secure it? Huh. So... how do you know what the best horse is? "
    At the shops it gives each horse a star rating. The higher the star the faster and better the horse is. When you do the bonnie missions the golden horse she gives you is very good. 
    ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By ThePaleKing

All of this stuff is explained throughout the game, and the bandanna has the info RIGHT THERE on the item description. As for the animals on the maps, shouldn't that be pretty fucking obvious? 

Sp3N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sp3N
    @Sweep:  "Hides your identity so honor and fame won't change. Remove it to decrease your wanted level faster."

That is not hard to understand, it tells you what it does. How is that bullshit?
    Sp3N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sp3N
    @Hamz:  The game is really good.
    MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By MayorFeedback
    @ThePaleKing said:
    " All of this stuff is explained throughout the game, and the bandanna has the info RIGHT THERE on the item description. As for the animals on the maps, shouldn't that be pretty fucking obvious?  "

Sorry, guys, but this is true.
    jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#12  Edited By jaqen_hghar
    @Sweep said:

" Listening to this weeks bombcast I heard a load of information about Red Dead Redemption which I totally missed out on when it was explained ingame. Having blundered around without a Lasso for ages, I know this game can be pretty fucking terrible at explaining new mechanics.  What the fuck, Rockstar. What the fuck.   Anyone else have any knowledge they want to share? Any other secrets I should know about? Because this game is rubbish at explaining shit. "

Actually, I think the game explained most of the stuff just fine. There are new tutorials almost the entire game, introducing more ways to do things. So ask away if you wonder about more stuff. 

@Sweep said:     

For example I had no idea that wearing the Bandanna meant your fame and honour wasn't affected by your actions. I have played a whole chunk of the game wearing that thing purely because I thought it made Marston look like a badass - now I find out I didn't get any fame from that stuff? That's fucking bullshit.    

If you press Y (on the 360 at least) you can read what it does. This goes for everything in the game. And as far as I remember, it clearly states that it will stop your fame and honor from being affected. I also got a message up in the corner when I bought it. 

@Sweep said:   

I didn't know you could find animal locations on your map for the hunting quests. Thanks for letting me know, RDR.

I assume you mean the pictures of animals on the map? If not, you have to explain this to me, cause maybe I missed something. But if you mean the pictures of animals on the map... then I would say it is pretty obvious.

@Sweep said:  

I also didn't know about the checkpoint system. If you die on a mission you restart at the beginning of that mission, but if you die in the wilderness it reverts you to your last save? I lost £2000 I had just won at poker because I thought you just respawned at your house like it was a fucking hospital in GTA4. WHY HAS THIS SHIT NOT BEEN EXPLAINED PROPERLY??

This they could have explained, but it is something you can find out pretty fast. I learned how this worked pretty early, since I wanted to see how often I should save. As long as it doesn't say "Saving" up in the corner, then you should save yourself. Missions have checkpoints, roaming around does not. Simple. It do suck when you have managed to kill ten wolves, then one cougar comes out of the bushes and kill you with one swipe. Makes it all a lot more exciting though.

@Sweep said:     

Lastly the whole Horse thing completely mystifies me. I have a horse and it's pretty good. There are horses I can buy in shops and other horses in the wild I can break in. If I get a new horse what happens to my old horse? How do I know which horse is better?    

As far as I understood this from the game alone: If you have a horse, you have that till you switch to another horse, or till it dies. When you break in a horse, you will make it your own if you hitch it. The deeds you can buy means you can change between several types of horses, so you own more than one. Once you break in a special horse, I think only the three best, then you can buy the deed for it.  
    When wondering if about the deeds I did a quick search online, and all I learned there was that you didn't have to feed your horse, and where the three best breeds are. 

So yeah... most of those things are stated in the game. And those that aren't are not very important in the grand scheme of things, like where the different animals can be found.  

One thing I don't think the game ever tells you (haven't beaten it yet) is how to do execution attacks. As far as I know you have to run up to bad guys and pull the trigger close to them. Sometimes you kill them in spectacular ways, sometimes you hit them with your gun. 
    Oh, and the fact that you can greet people by pressing B. It says so in the manual though. 
    So I am also curious about hearing more stuff I might have missed.
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Sp3N: I didn't see that message pop up when I bought it. I'm not deliberately trying to be a fucking punk. The game should draw more attention to it as it seems pretty important :/
    lolicanseeyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By lolicanseeyou
    @ThePaleKing said:
    " All of this stuff is explained throughout the game, and the bandanna has the info RIGHT THERE on the item description. As for the animals on the maps, shouldn't that be pretty fucking obvious?  "
    LMAO, really? hahahahaahhaa
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @Hamz: Don't listen to Sweep! He's a burger! His pickles were probably slipping around the controller while he was playing and making it hard for him to concentrate.
    DaemonicGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DaemonicGrim
    @Sweep: Theres a thread somewhere about the horses but simply put you can tell how good a horse is by its health and colour.

You'll skip it entirely in singleplayer but the two worst are mule and then scrawny horse. They're very obviously slower and shitter just by looking at them. Then there's a plethora of horses that are pretty much identical except for colour and you can pick as you please without much difference. And finally we have the 3 fast horses. Their colours are white, black and the goldeny brown with the blonde mane. I've heard it said that of these three the black is the fastest but having used all of them to a great extent I wouldn't say it makes a difference. You'll outrun things that are possible to outrun anyway and if you don't you should probably be shooting...

All this can also be derived from the deeds in the shop. Price dictates how good a horse is (along with the star rating seen on the deed picture) and pressing Y will give a description of the horse so you know what to look for in the wild.

Also note, hitching saves your horse but doesn't always secure it, I often find myself whistling for the horse I hitched moments before because it has wandered down the street or disappeared entirely (not sure if this is a glitch or not). Just make sure you've seen the autosave in the top corner when you do hitch if its your first time with that particular horse.

EDIT: meant to say, you have to break in a horse in order to be able to buy it. So keep your eyes peeled for the three good ones while playing. I'm not sure if there are particular places for each type of horse but I got the golden in New Austin, the white in Neuvo Paraiso and the black in the Great Plains. Coincidence or placement, I don't know.

I noticed the tooltip for the bandana first time luckily otherwise I may have worn it too. But don't worry too much, there's shitloads of fame and honour to be earnt throughout the game anyway. I maxed my honour probably just over halfway through and my fame at about three quarters. Though you can continue to gain more from strangers, random encounters bounties, challenges etc.
    I tried to learn the game for myself rather than letting it explain everything, I kept hitting the info button on every new item in my inventory. Really hoped that some of the provisions were actually usable but they're purely to collect and sell. The checkpoint and reload old save thing is a pain in the arse at times but once you know how it works and figure out a few saving tricks you'll be fine. (there are ways to save in the wild, campsite being most obvious but also breaking new horses (maybe old ones too) and completing challenges or outfit requirements)
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By jakob187

In your inventory, the Bandana shows up.  There's a button that says "Y Info".  So...you hit Y...and it explains what the item does.  You can do that with any item in your inventory.  Why WOULDN'T you push a button that says it has "Info"?

As for the lasso, I didn't know that someone needed to pop out and say "hey, you need to finish all these quests with Bonnie to get a lasso".  She's a rancher, and she's also the beginning set of quests.  Therefore, logically, I would assume that I should do the quests for Bonnie before going off and doing other stuff in case there is important information to be given.

Let's start using some LOGIC, people. 

As for the checkpoint system, I feel that it is poorly implemented and they REALLY need to fix it.  However, I understand that they don't want to lag the framerate down anymore with a ton of auto-saving going on.  Still, it's a pain in the ass. 

I never once felt, however, that this game was conveying information to me poorly.  Everything is explained, but you have to PAY ATTENTION.  It's not going to flash a huge thing in the middle of the screen that says "HEY, LOOK AT ME". 

Well, take that back.  The horses thing was a tad bit annoying, but at the same time, I think that's something that should be more focused on "lasso it, break it, see if you like it".  Anyone hunting down the achievement for the three broken horses...are going to look it up on the internet. 

However, it DID explain how to keep a horse that you like:  hitch it.  Hell, when you hitch it, it pops up in the top left hand and says "This is now your trusty steed".

I understand the side you are coming from, Sweep...but I don't agree with it at all. 

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By GunstarRed

The animal location thing is pretty clear from the physical map found in the box it quite clearlty has big black animals printed on it, although in a couple of locations it lies about the type you will encounter. 
    The bandana thing is explained, it's just the tutorial stuff flashes up much too quickly for you to read. I was lucky enough to have gotten the Lasso and read about the Bandana before causing any problems but I can fully understand how  missing taht would annoy the hell out of you... My biggest problem with Lassoing was that it doesn't make it clear that you need to keep the LT held in before you walk up and hogtie your victim. 

The quickdraw is not explained correctly..I won a ton of them by disarm  only to meet the bad husband/lover dude and to lose to him about 15 times in a row because it does not make it clear that the only way to deal with him is to kill his face. 

Getting gangraped by Grizzly bears is not fun... nothing to do with your post...i just wanted to point it out.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Sweep said:
    For example I had no idea that wearing the Bandanna meant your fame and honour wasn't affected by your actions. I have played a whole chunk of the game wearing that thing purely because I thought it made Marston look like a badass - now I find out I didn't get any fame from that stuff? That's fucking considering
    The fact that it prevents fame/honour changes is in the item's description. As well as the fact that you get no honor or fame for stuff you did get it for previously is a pretty bug fucking clue.
    Hopefully this will teach people to pay a bit more attention and read text in games from time to time. Really not their fault but the players.

@Sweep said:
    Seems pretty self explanatory, there are animals depicted on the map in specific places. It also stands to reason if you think logically that animals would never be uniformly spread out in the world and they they inhabit certain regions. My awesome reasoning skills led me to try to hunt for a specific animal in the area where the picture was and this turned out to be correct. No one had to tell me this information.

@Sweep said:
    Kind of agree there.
    Mostly because Rockstar made you used to the system of the hospitals in the previous games.
    But after experiencing it once in action, it kind of made sense. The game basically restores your previous save, and during missions it autosaves at certain points, or there are saves in camp or auto saves after completing some world objectives. It basically always rolls you back to a previous save be it auto or manual. I do believe this is actually explained in the game manual, but I'm not at home to check atm.

@Sweep said:
    Lastly the whole Horse thing completely mystifies me. I have a horse and it's pretty good. There are horses I can buy in shops and other horses in the wild I can break in. If I get a new horse what happens to my old horse? How do I know which horse is better?  What the fuck, Rockstar. What the fuck.   Anyone else have any knowledge they want to share? Any other secrets I should know about? Because this game is rubbish at explaining shit. "
    Yes the horses were not properly ex[lained at all. 100% agree with you there. I had to dig around the internets forum/wiki to find out.
    Basically apart from the starting deeds for the horses you need to first tame the good rare ones out in the wild to unlock the deed for them.
    The deed description states the speed of the horse. Obviously the more expensive ones are better.
    the horses of the same tier only have very minor variations that are not really noticable imho, like one horse might be a tiny bit more durable but a tiny bit slower, honestly insignificant imho, just the tier of the horse matters. So the 3 horse deeds that cost $1500 are the best ones, you just need to tame one in the wild first before you can purchase them.
    The game only saves one horse at a time for you, if it is killed use the deed again to get a new one.
    DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By DeviantJoker

First off, I want to start off saying - I agree, R* does not go out of their way to hold your hand, or to the credit of even above-average gamers, explain credibly in some basic things. So I totally understand when people say "This wasn't properly explained to me!". But, in fact, a lot of this thing is a little evident if you think a bit... 

@Sweep
    said:

For example I had no idea that wearing the Bandanna meant your fame and honour wasn't affected by your actions.     

Go to your item screen, find the bandana (I think under Kit?) and click the info button. Clearly tells you there. The info button and MANY items will explain what their effects are.

I didn't know you could find animal locations on your map for the hunting quests.    

Not explained, agreed. But really, there are animal symbols all over your map... and while I think R* could have simply stated something about "Animal Legends" - it only took a little of "curiousness" or awareness of area to figure out this. As an addendum, though, I wish R* would have allowed you to use better way to "track" animals. Especially later in the game when...  

This is actually clearly stated in a mission with Bonnie. You only "retain" the horse if you hitch it.  The last horse you hitched is the one you officially own and the one that will come to you if you whistle, regardless of what you're riding. The best thing you can do about identifying a horse is simply note it's coat. Generally, I didn't really care unless I was identifying one of the "top 3 horses". Go to a general store, find the deed for those horses and select "Info" and note the coat. There is one 3-Star horse per area (area meaning: New Austin, Nuevo Paraiso, West Elizabeth). You'll know for sure if you've broken one of the top 3-star horses because their deed will become available.

Again, I understand a gamer's frustration on a few of the explanations. But really... unless it is game-breaking, I'd rather be let loose and to my own investigative/curious device than be hand-held. I think, in general games are babying gamers way more.

@Hamz:

You'd be missing a truly great game if you did. These are all minor blemishes in a wholly 10/10 type of game that outshines all of its flaws.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By jakob187

As far as hunting down animals goes, your Master Hunter challenge TELLS you where the animals you need to kill are located.  "You need to kill 3 bears.  They are located around Tall Trees".  Okay, explained.  Moreover, a quick look of the in-game map...as well as the paper copy that came with the game...shows drawings of bears around Tall Trees. 

Where is this stuff not explained well?

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By pweidman

There's plenty of info in-game if you just look.  It's a huge game and requires some patience to gather in all that's going on.  Slow down and enjoy this great game is my advise.  
    My only gripe about info/functionality is the duel mechanic.  The tutorial is way too quick and the mechanic itself is confusing and poorly implemented imo.

DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DeviantJoker
    @pweidman said:
    My only gripe about info/functionality is the duel mechanic.  The tutorial is way too quick and the mechanic itself is confusing and poorly implemented imo. "
    Mine too. I think of all the gripings of people, the duel one is actually pretty solid. It's pretty clumsy, a cool effect, but could be much, much better.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Jimbo

Not to be a dick, but you hardly need to be a genius to figure out how any of these things work in the game.  

• The bandana tells you precisely what it does in the item description - what more do you want?  Accidentally leaving it on at no point becomes a gamebreaker or unrecoverable as far as I'm aware.
    • The animals are printed right there on the map and there are animals in the game - how could you not put two and two together and figure out what the animals on the map represent?  The map they put in the box is totally covered in animals.
    • Every time you break a horse it throws up a message telling you the horse is now available at the store.  This ought to eventually lead you to a store and, again, the rest becomes obvious - the horses are all listed with descriptions and a speed rating.
    • Missions don't always throw you back to the start - they have checkpoints.
    • If you're playing poker, chances are you're in a town and about 5 yards away from a save point.  If you neglect to use the save function and get yourself killed (which is hard to do in itself), then you deserve to lose that money or any random skins you have collected.  There is never a scenario where you can lose any significant game progress and be forced to repeat content in order to progress the game.

Gamers don't need games to hold their hand and wipe their ass the whole time; they've just been conditioned to expect it.  That isn't Rockstar's fault.  Not every game needs a safety net no more than 5 seconds behind the player at any time - not doing so is a legitimate design choice.  

Sure, there's a bit more going on than there is in most popular games nowadays, but very little of it is unintuitive or abstract enough that players 18+ shouldn't be able to figure it out almost immediately.  Frankly, this sounds like you've just listened to the gripes the GB crew have had and then written them down word for word as your own opinion.  Some of that criticism seems well-founded, but a lot of it comes across as extremely straw-clutchy or exaggerated, imo.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Claude

Haha! I played 15 hours of this game before my Xbox 360 broke and figured all this stuff out easy. Maybe I'm a better gamer than I thought.

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By bhhawks78

Not every game holds your hand like you are a drooling imbecile, sorry!  Also almost all of that is explained in the Bonnie missions so either pay more attention or learn to read.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#27  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Rockstar's continued insistence on using the smallest goddamn fonts known to man irritates the piss out of me and soured me on the whole experience.  This kind of shit pretty much seals the deal on me ever picking this up as more than a rental.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Sparky_Buzzsaw said:
    " Rockstar's continued insistence on using the smallest goddamn fonts known to man irritates the piss out of me and soured me on the whole experience.  This kind of shit pretty much seals the deal on me ever picking this up as more than a rental. "
    My advice is to get a bigger TV.
    Also this game requires almost no reading.
    And your gripe and reason why you will rent it and not is ... the font? Seriously.
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#29  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
    @Tennmuerti:
    When you've got low vision problems, yes, a small font size is dealbreaker.  And no reading?  Am I insane here, or doesn't the game provide you with all the explanations on gameplay mechanics in the upper left hand corner of the screen... which requires reading?
    bcjohnnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By bcjohnnie
    @Tennmuerti said:

" @Sparky_Buzzsaw said:

" Rockstar's continued insistence on using the smallest goddamn fonts known to man irritates the piss out of me and soured me on the whole experience.  This kind of shit pretty much seals the deal on me ever picking this up as more than a rental. "

My advice is to get a bigger TV. Also this game requires almost no reading. And your gripe and reason why you will rent it and not is ... the font? Seriously. "
    Yeah this is a bigger problem than you think... Every element of gameplay is explained in a text box in the upper left.  I'm playing on a 37" LCD in 720p and the fucking font is ridiculous.  I don't have problems reading these things in any other games, and the font is not a dealbreaker for me, but I really think they made a poor choice just for this "old west" style lettering.

Finished the game last night, liked the story overall... but I have to agree that I felt the game could have explained its mechanics better to me up front.  Every GTA game has been better  than RDR at telling me how things are supposed to work, and I never felt like I was taken out of the experience in those games.  I certainly like this game, but there were a lot of little things that left a bad taste in my mouth... I'm kind of surprised how much of this stuff was ignored in every single review.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Sparky_Buzzsaw said:
    " @Tennmuerti: When you've got low vision problems, yes, a small font size is dealbreaker.  And no reading?  Am I insane here, or doesn't the game provide you with all the explanations on gameplay mechanics in the upper left hand corner of the screen... which requires reading? "
    Ah ok, if you do have vision problems then I see how it can be a deal breaker.
    As for the text I meant that it is nothing really like say an RPG that requires you to read a lot of text or descriptions or anything.
    Mechanics descriptions are not exactly heavy reading, it's like 2-3 sentences once in a while.
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Hitchenson
    NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#33  Edited By NickLott

One tip is that the physical map that came with the game has more detailed clues on where the animals you're looking for are. Granted, they aren't the only place you'll find them but it's a good start.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#34  Edited By haggis
    @pweidman: I have to agree with you there. The duel tutorial was a bit quick, and though I did it right the first time, it was a few hours (and a few game sessions) before I had to do it again. By then I had forgotten. That's at least as much my problem as the game's though.

As for the rest, I've been pretty impressed with how the game doesn't bash you over the head with information. It's all there, if you look. It's much better than the hand-holding that most games do.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CptBedlam

What the items do is very clearly explained when you buy them and after that there's an info-button for each item where it is explained again.

And yes, it doesn't flat out tell you that the map roughly shows the locations of animals but seriously: how much common sense does it take to figure that out by yourself? Furthermore, for all the challenges they tell you exactly where you can find the necessary animals.

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By spaceturtle

I agree. The different stuff in the game is pretty poorly explained. But there is still a bunch of info to be... exposed too, for the lack of a better word. Not checking the "press triangle (PS3) to show info" is kinda lazy in my opinion. You must actually go to some "effort" to figure out how the game works. And most games should be like that in my opinion. 

The only downside imo about the explanations in RDR is the explanation of how dueling works. That was really poorly explained. I had to hit the forums here and get a giant bomber-input on how the whole dueling part worked. But, okey, dueling is badly explained, but it's not like the game is holding any information back (except with the dueling), it just doesn't throw it in your face. If there is a explanation of something but you didn't quite catch the drift of it, go into the "log" at the menu and read through what just have been said. You wondering how a particular item works? Simply press "info" when the said item in your inventory is highlighted. Easy.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jeffsekai

What's this? oh just people bitching because a game stopped holding their hand for 2 seconds? cool.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By cstrang

Jesus.  Some of these people need to go back in time when games didn't explain a goddamn thing to you, just so they can realize how good they have it nowadays.  Fuck, kids, RTFM and experiment.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39  Edited By Kazona

I had no problems with the bandana. It clearly says that it prevents your honor or fame from rising or declining when you hit info.  

I do, however, had the problem with the horse deeds. But after some searching on the nets, here's what I found out: 

If you buy a deed for a horse, you can use that deed as often as you want. For instance, I bought the deed for a Kentucky Saddler and the Hungarian halfbreed. I can use the deeds, and swap between horses, as often as I want.  

There is one thing you should keep in mind, however. If you tame a horse in the wild, keep it, but don't buy the deed, then if it dies, you can't get it back. Of course, if it dies, you can always buy the deed to it still, but it might be something to watch out for. Also (but you probably know this already), you need to tame a horse in the wild before you can purchase the deed to one. Which, to me, is totally ass backwards. You break in the horse, so shouldn't the store be paying you for the privilege of using it? lol But I guess that would make things a bit unbalanced in terms of money. 

To me, all the things that were unclear to me (which weren't many), and the handful of flaws I've experienced, are no reason to not buy the game. Then again, I've only run into very minor things, while I have heard of people experiencing major, game breaking, bugs. 

Kazzurak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Kazzurak
    @DaemonicGrim: You maxed out fame 3/4 way through the game ?! i have finished it and i still havent gotten max fame (i maxed honor long ago) but that damn fame wont go up i still need like half of the last bar 
     Did you do alot of side activities ? - i just did whatever random events poped up and duelling but didnt care much for the stranger mission as i went through the game
    weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By weltal

GO TO HELL SWEEP YOU SUCK AT VIDEO GAMES! GO MAKE LOVE TO BRADLEY SHOEMAKER AND HAVE A BABY AND IT WILL BE THE WORST VIDEO GAME PLAYER IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND!

...I just want to fit in :(

DaemonicGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DaemonicGrim
    @Kazzurak: I did almost every stranger mission I came across and had rank 10 in 2 of the 4 challenge sets. Also did a few hideouts a second or third time round and loads of the blue dots. Just really tried to do everything possible whilst still chomping away at the story...
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @Sweep:  No offense, dude, but...

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#44  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " I agree it's not clear sometimes, but that is more of a good thing than a bad thing to me. It doesn't interrupt the experience to constantly explain everything. But at the same time most things are explained somewhere if you just pay attention and keep your eyes open.  I don't know, it is crappy, but it makes the game more mysterious or something. I'm way too tired to properly explain this.  :P "
    Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Quacktastic

The bandana seemed pretty upfront about what it did.  As for other stuff - in most Rockstar games they are extremely front-loaded with tutorial stuff and people complain about it being boring.  When they don't do it everyone wonders why the game doesn't hold their hand and point out every little thing.  I'm sure both complaints come from the same impatient mindset. It seems like Rockstar are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.