Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

Red Dead Redemption absence from Giant Bomb?

• 57 results
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Sackmanjones

Does anyone know why? I remember a bombcast where they metioned it and they seemed to have no interest in it. I find it a little strange considering the game has picked up steam and is very anticipated. Anyone guesses why they have sorta avoided the game? Maybe they will suprise us with it when the game launches or somethin.

by the way love giant bomb just a friendly conversation :)

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Vinchenzo

They haven't talked about it. Will probably discuss it closer to the release. Big whoop.

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By eclipsesis

embargo's dude, damn embargo's

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By iamjohn

Man, you sure do like Red Dead Redemption, don't you? :|

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sackmanjones

I realize the embargo but other sites got some hands on stuff and i was just curious 

@iAmJohn:  and YES I WANT THE GAME BAD haha. pre ordered since Jan. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5d59d1a719efd
    deactivated-5d59d1a719efd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think there will be more on it near release date.   Week or Two .

Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By Nadafinga

It is kinda weird that they're not really posting much of the trailers though (and when they do it's much later). Rockstar maybe gave some exclusivity to IGN or something, giving them first looks at everything.

I'm sure they'll have plenty to say about it once they get their hands on it.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @MonkeyMelon: ha its all ready two weeks man
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MikkaQ

It's just typical rockstar, they like keeping coverage to a minimum, so every time they release trailers, people go "holy shiiiiit". Plus there's been other releases that's probably taken up the staff's time, Alan Wake, or Street Fighter, things like that. 

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Gizmo

At least we've actually seen gameplay of Red Dead. Remember GTA IV? That game was insanely under wraps. The first gameplay was leaked out a couple of days before release.

Leolian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Leolian

I was wondering why this got so little coverage. Hope we get a quicklook soon.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xyzygy

Does anyone know when the embargo is lifted for this game?

Jacy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Jacy

See, I'd be convinced by this embargo argument, or simply saying 'Typical Rockstar!' if they hadn't thrown their old policies on their head. They've given hours upon hours of game time to people in the industry. There's many examples, from Kotaku to Guardian.co.uk, we've seen plenty of coverage for the game. Yet, even the trailers seem to be lacking on this website. For one of the most highly anticipated games of the year, I don't quite get that.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Jacy:  I agree all the way. I believe there are 2 maybe 3 trailers. and like 2 articles! I mean GTTV is doing an enitre episode devoted to RDR. But idk i expect lots when the game comes out
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Rhaknar

they probably dont have it yet, since there doesnt seem to be an embargo

belaraphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By belaraphon

i remember when gta4 came out and couldnt find anything about how the game played until 2 days before it came out.  honestly, it just made me want to play the game more.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care if they don't have coverage on it, I know the game will be awesome.

But it is a little weird.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @MonkeyMelon: I would expect something on the bombcast this week. But next week it should almost be confirmed i think and im talkin more than just the new release section

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Sackmanjones:  Yeah I don't get it.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @MonkeyMelon said:
    " @Sackmanjones:  Yeah I don't get it. "
    As for no previews. Rockstar has given it to other people. Mostly the "Big" Ones like IGN so meh.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The_Laughing_Man:   Yeah but I figured they would at least have up to date trailers or some talk about the game with developers or somthing.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @MonkeyMelon said:
    "   @The_Laughing_Man:   Yeah but I figured they would at least have up to date trailers or some talk about the game with developers or somthing. "
    Rockstar would not talk with Giantbomb. They seem a bit...well...Well they might....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The_Laughing_Man:  Yeah, they should have some cool stuff after it's released. Review / DLC.
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24  Edited By CenturionCajun

I remember Jeff commenting on the Bombcast after PAX East that he didn't go in to see Red Dead Redemption because they would have thrown him out. I would almost say he was joking but the tone in which he stated it and the way they quickly moved on seems to speak otherwise. In a less conspiracy theory heavy thought pattern I'd say that Giant Bomb doesn't rate to Rockstar and they are concentrating all of their media releases on IGN and Gamespot. Have you seen those places recently? Gamespot currently has a feature on the horses of Red Dead Redemption up and IGN has a lengthy article on being heroic.

So, I'm sure that when the game comes out there will be a review and lengthy discussion on the Bombcast. However, if at this point if we haven't seen any previews I doubt we are going to.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rhaknar
    @CenturionCajun said:

" I remember Jeff commenting on the Bombcast after PAX East that he didn't go in to see Red Dead Redemption because they would have thrown him out. I would almost say he was joking but the tone in which he stated it and the way they quickly moved on seems to speak otherwise. In a less conspiracy theory heavy thought pattern I'd say that Giant Bomb doesn't rate to Rockstar and they are concentrating all of their media releases on IGN and Gamespot. Have you seen those places recently? Gamespot currently has a feature on the horses of Red Dead Redemption up and IGN has a lengthy article on being heroic.  So, I'm sure that when the game comes out there will be a review and lengthy discussion on the Bombcast. However, if at this point if we haven't seen any previews I doubt we are going to. "

I also thought that was a joke, but maybe not. you never know in the industry. Ryan tweeted that a quicklook will only come after the game is out, indicating that either there's a embargo, or they dont have a preview / review build
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Diamond

Yea I've noticed the cold treatment between Rockstar and Giant Bomb too.  It might be a case of Rockstar being pissed at Giant Bomb for something, maybe some leak by GB or maybe Rockstar just doesn't consider GB good enough?  Because either way, I'm sure Giant Bomb would have some coverage of the game up by now if they were receiving the same treatment of the other VG media sources that are covering the game more.

For what it's worth Jeff also said every person he talked to at PAX East either said it was a new GTA4 or didn't like it at all, and every person I heard from PAX either LOVED it or said it was GTA4.

Bad blood at the very least, and that's no rumor.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By AhmadMetallic

It saddens me.. But rockstar games can be hushy dicks

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ProfessorEss

Don't get me wrong, I love the site and I love the guys' commentary but they can often be somewhat petty, opinionated and unpredictable. Why would Rockstar go out of their way to provide these guys material that could just end up in a 2 star  review because their was no mustache customization?

Like Diamond said, I'm sure there will be some great RDR content on here post-release but I can kinda understand how the jaded gamer / zero accountability combination at Giant Bomb could scare off a developer regardless of the quality of their product.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By trophyhunter

settle the hell down 

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By Milkman
    @ProfessorEss said:

" Don't get me wrong, I love the site and I love the guys' commentary but they can often be somewhat petty, opinionated and unpredictable. Why would Rockstar go out of their way to provide these guys material that could just end up in a 2 star  review because their was no mustache customization? Like Diamond said, I'm sure there will be some great RDR content on here post-release but I can kinda understand how the jaded gamer / zero accountability combination at Giant Bomb could scare off a developer regardless of the quality of their product. "

They gave Grand Theft Auto IV game of the year. So, why wouldn't they? I don't know if it's a good idea to read into all these "conspiracy theories".
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By xyzygy

Why is the embargo so close to the game's release? If Rockstar is confident in the game, why not put the reviews out early and increase hype for the game? 

Unless, that is, they're not confident in the game...

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#32  Edited By KowalskiManDown

Maybe because it's a cowboy game... and those kinda games are, more often than not, pretty terrible.

It's down to personal opinion, I know, but nothing about that game excites me.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Milkman said:

" @ProfessorEss said:

" Don't get me wrong, I love the site and I love the guys' commentary but they can often be somewhat petty, opinionated and unpredictable. Why would Rockstar go out of their way to provide these guys material that could just end up in a 2 star  review because their was no mustache customization? Like Diamond said, I'm sure there will be some great RDR content on here post-release but I can kinda understand how the jaded gamer / zero accountability combination at Giant Bomb could scare off a developer regardless of the quality of their product. "
    They gave Grand Theft Auto IV game of the year. So, why wouldn't they? I don't if it's a good idea to read into all these "conspiracy theories". "

I'm sure yer right, it's probably nothing. I was just talkin hypothetically outta my ass to kill a few minutes :)
    RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By RichardLOlson

Who cares, the game will be badass and everyone will rejoice about  the mulitplayer.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#35  Edited By ajamafalous

Just more conspiracy theory bullshit to throw out there that's probably completely unrelated:

Anyone ever figure out why The Lost & The Damned quick look was pulled?

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36  Edited By CenturionCajun

It could simply be a case of Rockstar giving Gamespot or IGN the early exclusive review that will pop up in a day or two and everyone else will have to wait until the 18th rolls around. It could also be that they arn't going to let anyone post reviews until the 18th. This doesn't mean that the game is necessarily bad. Does anyone remember the incredible restrictions placed on Metal Gear Solid IV reviews? Even those who were allowed to post early reviews weren't allowed to talk about essential gameplay elements such as load times and certain characters. Therefore most reviewers waited till the game was released to post reviews.

So, calm down. I didn't mean to start a bunch of conspiracy theory talk. I just remembered a strange comment that Jeff made from PAX East.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @CenturionCajun:  Guess we will see
    OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By OldManLight
    @Sackmanjones:  i somehow remember rockstar being notorious for their embargos.  i remember back to GTA 4 launch and there was a total blackout up until a day or 2 before launch when those NDA's were up.  then the videos and reviews poured in.  my money is that there's a gag order in place because nobody is really talking about it.
    JDDrewes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By JDDrewes

i don't know if this has been stated somewhere else, but Red Dead Redemption isn't even on the major games list. 
    While Lost Planet 2 and the new Prince of Persia are  
    :/

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#40  Edited By Claude

No Caption Provided
    BRNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BRNK

Ryan said via twitter that they'll do a QL once RDR is out...meaning no advanced review code for GB. One can speculate until they are blue in the face as to why this is, but in the Bombcast where Jeff mentions it at PAX East, he seemed pretty apathetic about the game.  
    The greatest thing about GB - the fact that the dudes cover what they want, how they want - can also be it's biggest liability. I think the dudes just aren't that into this game. 

Myself on the otherhand... I am, as Robert Ashley would say, stoking a serious game boner for RDR.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Rhaknar

by the way, Kotaku also has no review copy of the game, they mentioned in a article today that they have to buy it.

Moridin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#43  Edited By Moridin

Jeff said something on Twitter last night about learning how to play Liar's Dice. Perhaps they finally have a review copy, or perhaps Jeff is just a baller. Well, he's a baller regardless - but you know what I mean.

cardician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By cardician
    @Moridin said:

" Jeff said something on Twitter last night about learning how to play Liar's Dice. Perhaps they finally have a review copy, or perhaps Jeff is just a baller. Well, he's a baller regardless - but you know what I mean. "

Yep, saw that too. I think they do have an early copy they probably just aren't allowed to say anything due to the embargo.
    Lokirth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Lokirth

I hate to sound like a cynic, but there has been speculation before of Rockstar paying certain outlets to review their games, and to give them favorable scores. Perhaps Jeff and the guys wanted to wait until the game actually came out and to avoid the hype that everybody else is wrapped up in? 

I think Jeff, in particular, would be interested in remaining unbiased. That, or the circumstances have just been unfortunate and they haven't gotten around to getting any good hands-on time with the game. I highly doubt it's got anything to do with an embargo, as there are a good deal of websites who've taken a good look at the game. Maybe GiantBomb just didn't get a preview of the game? 

In any case, I'm sure we'll see a review soon enough after the game comes out; no need to worry about a lack of good previews. The game's out in five days, after all.

cardician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By cardician

What games would R* needed to have bothered paying sites for in order to get good reviews? Their games have widely been hailed as being fantastic since at least GTA 3. I think you're a little off in your perception there buddy. Why pay for a good score when your games are honestly good enough to get a good score as it is? I happen to know businesses aren't in the habit of just throwing money away. Quite the opposite infact. I believe you're thinking of the company that made Kane & Lynch and created the whole Jeff/Gamespot debacle. But clearly they made up since they've been showing K&L 2 to Jeff recently.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ProfessorEss

I highly doubt Rockstar pays anyone for anything.
    I don't know if you noticed it, but they're in charge around here, not the videogame rags and blogs.

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Brad
    @Sackmanjones said:

" @Jacy:  I agree all the way. I believe there are 2 maybe 3 trailers. and like 2 articles! I mean GTTV is doing an enitre episode devoted to RDR. But idk i expect lots when the game comes out "

This looks like two or three trailers to you? Seriously?

http://www.giantbomb.com/red-dead-redemption/61-25249/videos/ 
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Brad:  So have you guys been anticipating the game at all? I know there is am embargo (or thats the rumor)  but I was just wondering if were. if your allowed to say of course
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ProfessorEss

Boosh.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.