Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

Red Dead Redemption's Ending (Spoilers)

Akre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Akre

Yeah it's another blog post about red dead redemption's ending but I'm pretty sure that I have a different opinion than most when it comes to this topic. 

With everyone saying how amazing Red Dead's ending is and how it's one of their favorite game's ever, I feel that I should say why I did not like or even enjoy red dead's ending. The ending is all about the characters which is where my problem lies. In order for the audience to be affected by the ending, they need to have empathized with John Marston. I did not  have empathy for John Marston. All throughout the story I found John doing things that I would never even consider. John continues to help people who I can only describe as despicable as they repeatedly stab him in the back and lead him nowhere. But it doesn't end there with John doing things like fighting on two sides of a war, helping loot corpes and shooting somebody  for questioning his friend's magic snake juju. Event's like this made it impossible for me to care about John Marston and his "redemption." 

To top it all off the game's ending isn't very surprising. It's easy to discern that John is going to die once you start herding cattle at the time where a normal game's credits would be rolling. Not to mention that the government had not completed it's "stab-in-the-back" quota. I also felt that the harvest moon section of the game would have been better suited as a custcene because It made me feel like I was playing the tutorial all over again.. This lull in the pacing of the game felt the same as Bioshock where after the big reveal you still have to continue even though you feel that the game should of ended.  

Except, in Red Dead Redemption, there is no big reveal, no surprise. There is only what is expected. It's somewhat funny but in the end I didn't find redemption. I only found myself dead.

Akre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Akre

Yeah it's another blog post about red dead redemption's ending but I'm pretty sure that I have a different opinion than most when it comes to this topic. 

With everyone saying how amazing Red Dead's ending is and how it's one of their favorite game's ever, I feel that I should say why I did not like or even enjoy red dead's ending. The ending is all about the characters which is where my problem lies. In order for the audience to be affected by the ending, they need to have empathized with John Marston. I did not  have empathy for John Marston. All throughout the story I found John doing things that I would never even consider. John continues to help people who I can only describe as despicable as they repeatedly stab him in the back and lead him nowhere. But it doesn't end there with John doing things like fighting on two sides of a war, helping loot corpes and shooting somebody  for questioning his friend's magic snake juju. Event's like this made it impossible for me to care about John Marston and his "redemption." 

To top it all off the game's ending isn't very surprising. It's easy to discern that John is going to die once you start herding cattle at the time where a normal game's credits would be rolling. Not to mention that the government had not completed it's "stab-in-the-back" quota. I also felt that the harvest moon section of the game would have been better suited as a custcene because It made me feel like I was playing the tutorial all over again.. This lull in the pacing of the game felt the same as Bioshock where after the big reveal you still have to continue even though you feel that the game should of ended.  

Except, in Red Dead Redemption, there is no big reveal, no surprise. There is only what is expected. It's somewhat funny but in the end I didn't find redemption. I only found myself dead.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.