Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

Rockstar refusing to send out review copies

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By CptBedlam
    @Jimbo said:

"3 converts too low, 5 converts too high, 4 is about right.  So unless you are expecting 3s or lower, then a 5 star scale converts in your favour.  You are far more likely to receive a 100% MC score out of a 5 star system that you are from a site marking directly in percentages.  To maximize your chances of ending up with a 95+% Metacritic score overall, you ought to be stacking as many 5* review sites as possible, imo.  If you have no confidence in your game, then yes you should avoid them, because 2s and 3s are really punishing when converted.  But obviously, handpicking your reviewers trumps any other method. "

Of course it also depends on how the scale is used. If GB dished out mostly 4s and 5s then the publishers probably wouldn't worry. But GB uses the full potential of the scale. Just look at the 2/5 Lost Planet 2 score. 4 out of 5 seems likely for a really good game with a few flaws and just to play it safe the publishers mostly rely on the "safe" sites like IGN where mediocre games get 8,5 in return for an exclusive review deal and everything remotely good scores somewhere in the 90s. 
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#102  Edited By Jimbo
    @CptBedlam: You have a point.  97% has become the new 92% on those sites.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By CptBedlam
    @Jimbo: I swear: 8,5 is IGN's 6,5. 

See their AVP or Ao2 40th Day reviews, for example. It's pretty clear how IGN lands all these exclusive review deals.
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#104  Edited By haggis

This stuff about paying for reviews, or only giving copies to reviewers they "trust" is kind of silly. They give limited copies to the most popular sites. That's about it. There was never any real doubt that the game would get decent reviews. Rockstar is just miserly with review copies. I can't really blame them for this, even as I'm disappointed that Giant Bomb won't get a review copy. They're a big dog in the market, and they basically get to do what they want. It's no surprise to me, then, that they ... do exactly what they want. I doubt it has anything to do with managing the metacritic score. It's probably just that the company is overzealous in keeping things to themselves.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#105  Edited By Jayross
    @DystopiaX: but... he went to Yale!
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#106  Edited By Jayross

This is a comment from an IGN editor: 

Unfortunately. Rockstar was unable to provide us with a copy of the PS3 edition of Red Dead Redemption early and so we've had to delay that review until we get a chance to take it for a spin.

So... R* is even manipulating reviews from the biggest of companies. My radar suggests that the PS3 version is sub-par.

Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Zimbo
    @Jayross:
    The PS3 review is out already. Its on par with the 360 version
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#108  Edited By Rhaknar
    @Zimbo said:

" @Jayross:The PS3 review is out already. Its on par with the 360 version "

no it isn't (if you mean the IGN one that is)

edit: or maybe it is >_> if it is i'm sorry, but I can't find it
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#109  Edited By DystopiaX
    @Jayross said:
    " @DystopiaX: but... he went to Yale! "
    If he's dumb enough not to be able to read the descriptions of difficulty settings, then he's retarded no matter where he went to college. 
    And if it's anything like GTA IV, you can turn off auto-aim in game as well.
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Rhaknar

hopefully they explained, or at least mentioned what exactly happened with RDR on the bombcast, guess we'll know tomorow

Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Zimbo
    @Rhaknar:

Well almost on par if you dont count IGNs weird marking scheme. The PS3 version got 9.7 compared to 9.8 on the Xbox

Link

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#112  Edited By RichardLOlson

There are a few reviews out there and most of them are giving it either 9.5 or a 10.  So pretty much a good review for RDR, which means that all the hype just wasn't bullshit.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By CptBedlam
    @haggis: Aww, you're sweet.

Nobody's talking about suitcases of money being paid for nice reviews.

It's much more sutle. IGN's generous handling of their review scale is practically an on-going favor to publishers. That is why they get all the exclusive review deals: because publishers can be sure that IGN treats them well. And because IGN does it alike with all games, they don't even look that suspicous. Only on rare occasions it becomes blatantly obvious as, for example, with AVP. IGN had the first review online for a few days and praised the game with an 8,5. To this day this is the highest score on metacritic for this game.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By haggis
    @CptBedlam: So, let me get this straight: IGN is favoring Rockstar somehow, even though they favor everyone by having a skewed review scale? That's not subtle. It's nonexistent.

And some of the comments on this forum are suggesting suitcases of money, or something near enough the same. They're suggesting good reviews would be given in exchange for ad revenue. I doubt that's actually happening.

As for AVP, you're talking about the recent Aliens vs. Predator, right? IGN UK's score was the highest, but there are half a dozen scores over 80% on that list. It's high, sure, and if it were the only one over 80%, I'd be suspicious. But it's not. It's just as likely that some idiot over at IGN UK actually liked the game. IGN here in the states gave it a 7 of 10, a more median score. The idea that IGN UK's behavior is somehow "blatant" is ridiculous. There is always a "highest" score on Metacritic, you know. It's the nature of lists. Eventually one of the highest scores is going to be one of the first reviews. If you can compile some data to show that over time early reviews tend to give higher scores, then maybe I'll take the argument more seriously. One not-so-great example isn't going to cut it.

There's no need for conspiracies. Regular business relationships are enough explanation. Rockstar is tight with its release copies, as is well known. They give copies to review sights with large viewership with whom they have long-standing, decent business relationships. Smaller sites are out of luck. Do they game the system? Maybe they try, but I rather suspect it's response after the fact, rather than preemptive as so many seem to be suggesting.
    RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By RichardLOlson

Reviews or not, this game will be great.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By MrKlorox

Why? Metracritic translating BOGT from 3 stars to to 60% is probably one factor. In videogame scores 60 is considered failing. Might as well be zero stars as far as the publisher is concerned.

GB Staff, you guys HAVE to ask metacritic to stop posting your reviews until they agree to scale the stars differently. Just like X-Play.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#117  Edited By OldManLight
    @Milkman:  you know i thought i remembered around the GTA4 launch people discussing playing it in a sequestered setting like in a hotel or office building that had been setup by rockstar.  With this game's purported size and scope, i can understand any reluctance by an games journalist to not want to play it that way just to have a review up a few days early.  Then again, i'm just speculating on what may be happening now based on past events.  At any rate, i like the way rockstar makes games and with GTA4 under their belt and seeing the video previews that R* has put out in the past months,  i have no doubt that i will really enjoy this game.  Look forward to potentially finding some Giant Bomb posse's in multiplayer.  Maybe in this setting all the racism and shit talking on xbox live will actually add to the immersion of the game.   haha!
    Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
    Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Rockstar's PR team are just extremely insecure, despite their games being relatively good.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Brunchies

They have to get the most people to buy it so they make sure that they give early copies to companies that they trust will give them good scores.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#120  Edited By Origina1Penguin

Oh noes, some reviewers will have to buy their own copy like everyone else. They're not required to give out free stuff, so let them distribute as they please. Didn't Giant Bomb give GTA IV the "Game Of The Year" title for 2008 though?

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @ColumnBreaker said:
    " @cancerdancer said:
    " Quality control over the reviews. They send out review copies to the companies they trust. "
    Read: Pay. "
    Rockstar doesn't have to pay for good scores.
    kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By kishan6

this is how gta4 is rated higher than half life 2 
    also 
    always angry change ur fucking picture 
    it isnt showing support its fucking stupid that is linkyshinks pic not urs

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By MrKlorox
    @JeffGoldblum said:

" @ColumnBreaker said:

" @cancerdancer said:
    " Quality control over the reviews. They send out review copies to the companies they trust. "
    Rockstar doesn't have to pay for good scores. "
    Nor do they have to make games that deserve them in order to receive them.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By RsistncE

All I know is this game has the same sluggish pig shit controls as GTAIV, then it's gonna be a piece of crap game like GTAIV was.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @MrKlorox said:
    " @JeffGoldblum said:

" @ColumnBreaker said:

" @cancerdancer said:
    Nor do they have to make games that deserve them in order to receive them. "
    No matter how you personally feel about Rockstar's games, you can't deny that they make quality products.
    bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By bhhawks78
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    " @MrKlorox said:
    " @JeffGoldblum said:

" @ColumnBreaker said:

" @cancerdancer said:
    No matter how you personally feel about Rockstar's games, you can't deny that they make quality products. "
    Idiots prefer planes and rocket launchers to good story, you can't change it no matter how much you try,
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By MrKlorox
    @bhhawks78 said:
    " @JeffGoldblum said:
    " @MrKlorox said:
    " @JeffGoldblum said:

" @ColumnBreaker said:

" @cancerdancer said:
    No matter how you personally feel about Rockstar's games, you can't deny that they make quality products. "
    Idiots prefer planes and rocket launchers to good story, you can't change it no matter how much you try, "
    Nice. That totally has something to do with anything either of us said. Congrats, smart guy.

@JeffGoldblum said:

" @MrKlorox said:

" @JeffGoldblum said:

" @ColumnBreaker said:

" @cancerdancer said:
    Sure I can. Not everything they make is even remotely close to past GTA standards. Some games are top notch, but not consistently.
    beatlebrainiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By beatlebrainiac
    @bhhawks78 said:
    " @JeffGoldblum said:
    " @MrKlorox said:
    " @JeffGoldblum said:

" @ColumnBreaker said:

" @cancerdancer said:
    Idiots prefer planes and rocket launchers to good story, you can't change it no matter how much you try, "
    Oh man, enjoying gameplay over story? In a sand-box game? WHAT IDIOTS, amirite? Not saying a good story isn't a plus, but if I really want a compelling narrative I'll see a fucking movie. If I want a fun distraction involving blowing shit up, I'll play a video game. I'm really scratching my head that you seem to think that' something an "idiot" would want in a video game.
    SugarRay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By SugarRay

I find it odd and kinda comical how a lot of big sites do not have early reviews (GB, Joystiq, Kotaku, Gamespot, etc...) while has a video review -   

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#130  Edited By DoctorWelch
    @SugarRay: WTF is 3 killa bytes lol. Thats the dumbest name i have ever heard lol.
    roscoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By roscoe

so did they actually play the game or just list of shit that was known that you could do in the game.

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By schizogony

I think a lot of people here are reading too far into this. This is an industry that CANNOT hold a secret. If a popular site was paid for a good review, YOU WOULD KNOW IT. Rockstar sent review copies to major, credible sites (1up, IGN, GameTrailers) as well as lesser, minor sites that they knew will kiss their ass (Boomtown and all those other ones nobody reads).  

You look at Giant Bomb and Joystiq, and they will most definitely go against the flow sometimes. Someone at Rockstar (or Take Two?) no doubt knew this and figured it would just be safer to leave them off the list, to - yeah - "protect" the Metacritic average. 

But it pains me to know that there are STILL people that think game reviewers are paid off. They're absolutely not.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Coombs
    @kishan6 said:
    "  ...also always angry change ur fucking picture it isnt showing support its fucking stupid that is linkyshinks pic not urs "
    Yeah man seriously......
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
    deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

They sent a review copy out to this guy for fuck's sake. Easy to tell when stuff like this is done to preserve a high rating at the game's release. This guy is from my city, almost makes me want to get my face up on youtube as a reviewer now... >_>

JasonDaPsycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#135  Edited By JasonDaPsycho

Giantbomb might have rejected their offer of advertising on the site. Since we all know Whiskey Media is strict when it comes to advertising, Rockstar might not be too happy with their proposal getting shot down.
    If you can get and advertising spot on Giantbomb, you have to mean something.

I don't know really. Perhaps they just don't trust indie sites, even though they (mostly) make good games.

SugarRay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By SugarRay
    The dude even puts a video response on how he got the game, lol.   Seems being from Australia paid off for him. Now only if I can represent the Philippines or something. 
    Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Subjugation

Taken off of the Whiskey Media main page:   "Giant Bomb is the last gaming site that gives a sh*t."

That's a direct quote from the Creative Director of a major gaming publisher about Giant Bomb. We couldn't think of a better way to describe Giant Bomb. 

The editors at Giant Bomb aren't afraid to be honest, and I'm sure Rockstar knows that and that it had a part to play in the distribution of review copies. I haven't heard anything of this bad blood between Jeff and Rockstar.

Microsteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Microsteve

I really REALLY don't think Rockstar are worried about this game getting a bad score of anybody ROTFL this is GOTY all day long there is nothing on the release calendar for 2010 that even comes close to this masterpiece, good show Rockstar

Broitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Broitman

That definitely sucks, I know I asked for a copy for my site but when I never heard back I just assumed it was because we weren`t big enough draw for them. Makes a little more sense now I guess but hey it`s their game and if they don`t want to send out review copies well that`s their prerogative nothing I can do about it.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By CptBedlam
    @haggis: I never said IGN is favoring RS, only that they're favoring everyone. And that is why publishers are favouring sites like IGN.

As for AVP, it IS suspicious if the first review on the web stays the highest or one of the highest scores on metacritic.

And managing early metacritic scores is actually very common in the industry. Developers and publishers repeatedly stated how ridiculously important metacritic scores are for their businesses and there is nothing illegal about not sending out copies to certain gaming sites. That's no conspiracy, that's how the business works.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @jadeskye said:
    " @cancerdancer said:
    This. Gotta control the metacritic average otherwise someone gets fired. "
    I always thought that was a messed up way of getting bonuses ...
    Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Gizmo

Honestly, if the review is not out by Thursday then Giantbomb needn't even bother posting a review. Totally not Giantbomb's fault, but that's just the way things are these days, I guess.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By haggis
    @CptBedlam: That's the point. If they favor everyone, they're favoring no one. Everyone knows that IGN UK's scores can be a bit high. Just as everyone knows that Gamespot's recent scores trend a bit lower. The whole point of Metacritic is to average out the anomalies. And no, it's not suspicious if the first review on the web remains the highest score. Given how many games are released, and how many game reviews there are of each, it is inevitable that for a few games, the first review will remain the highest score. Unless you can show that early reviews are consistently higher than later reviews, there is nothing remotely suspicious about it.

And I never said they weren't trying to manage scores. Of course they are. What I said originally is that there are a lot of reasons for why they choose the reviewers they do, and that getting paid off wasn't one of them. Did you even read my comments? Apparently not. It is in their interest to manage scores, and they do so by giving review copies to companies they trust. Unlike some companies, Rockstar actually seems pretty well aware of what kind of scores its games are going to get. (Honestly, I don't understand how some of these publishers don't know their games suck when they're released.) The idea that Rockstar would bother paying off reviewers is silly.
    deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By deanoxd

i have read the Game Informer and 1up reviews, watched the IGN video review and all three were in spirit and in form the exact same review.  After watching the IGN video review of Red Dead i loaded up and watched their GTA 4 video review and it was same guy saying the same things about both games with out one original thought insight into Red Dead. Its crazy how carbon copy all this shit is.  I have a feeling the game will be good, but i don't fully trust the reviews that i have read. Giant Bomb is my measuring stick for game purchases and with out their input i am left feeling like i playing a none lethal game of Russian roulette with my money. 

Well either way i am going to get Alan Wake and i guess Red Dead as soon as the FutureShop opens @ 9:30MNT

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By CptBedlam
    @haggis: You not getting the problem of inflated review scores and everything that comes with them at all, do you? Publishers only handing out test copies to favorable sites is a problem because reviews after a game's release are pretty much meaningless to the majority of gamers. So all they see before release is a carefully managed bunch of favorable scores.

Also "Did you even read my comments?" - I'd ask you the same thing. You were putting words in my mouth repeatedly: I've never said they're getting paid off and I've never said that IGN favors RS. Read my comments before you reply to them and stop claiming sh*t I've never said. 
    In the end, btw, IGN profits from all these exlusive deals they only get because of their inflated review scores. As I said, it's not bags of money, it's more sutle. But go ahead, keep being naive as you are.
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By pweidman

This staff @Giantbomb has shown little to no interest in RDR,no?  I wonder if that factors in. Have they run any preview stuff about RDR?  None that I'm aware of.  I've also heard Jeff and Ryan say many times they had to purchase games.  This seems like Giantbomb's issue more than any silly R* conspiracy or fear of some metacritic score reductions.  The game's getting stellar reviews across the board.  And Gametrailers does have one up: 
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-red-dead/100286      

And somehow blaming other sites like IGN for their early reviews with the justification thet they pad scores to get early review copies is just rediculous.  Print copies might be another story, but I do not believe any of this shit about 'subtle' payoffs for website reviewers.  Giantbomb has become, for me, more of an entertainment site vs. information because the crew are just fun and so damn hilarious mostly, and less of a site for baseing purchase decisions on.  Their reviews are just not as timely, and some lately from Brad, sorry to say, have just been misleading, and inaccurate imo.

Bloopa79Aus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Bloopa79Aus

I dont care what reviews the game gets , I plan on getting the game anyway . I doubt it will be a pile of shit . So that is good enough for me

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Rhaknar
    @pweidman said:
    "
    This staff @Giantbomb has shown little to no interest in RDR,no?  I wonder if that factors in. Have they run any preview stuff about RDR?  None that I'm aware of.  I've also heard Jeff and Ryan say many times they had to purchase games.  This seems like Giantbomb's issue more than any silly R* conspiracy or fear of some metacritic score reductions.  The game's getting stellar reviews across the board.  And Gametrailers does have one up: 
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-red-dead/100286       And somehow blaming other sites like IGN for their early reviews with the justification thet they pad scores to get early review copies is just rediculous.  Print copies might be another story, but I do not believe any of this shit about 'subtle' payoffs for website reviewers.  Giantbomb has become, for me, more of an entertainment site vs. information because the crew are just fun and so damn hilarious mostly, and less of a site for baseing purchase decisions on.  Their reviews are just not as timely, and some lately from Brad, sorry to say, have just been misleading, and inaccurate imo.  "

this shit again? They have the EXACT SAME TRAILERS up as every other site.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Rhaknar said:
    " @pweidman said:
    "
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-red-dead/100286       And somehow blaming other sites like IGN for their early reviews with the justification thet they pad scores to get early review copies is just rediculous.  Print copies might be another story, but I do not believe any of this shit about 'subtle' payoffs for website reviewers.  Giantbomb has become, for me, more of an entertainment site vs. information because the crew are just fun and so damn hilarious mostly, and less of a site for baseing purchase decisions on.  Their reviews are just not as timely, and some lately from Brad, sorry to say, have just been misleading, and inaccurate imo.  "
    this shit again? They have the EXACT SAME TRAILERS up as every other site. "
    Let them have their little theories. Im waiting for some of the good ones to pop up. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.