Seriously? Rockstar can't afford people that speak Spanish?

Posted by Giacomito (208 posts) -

The voice-acting in RDR is great!...except for when they speak spanish..which is why this becomes so apparent, the actos are great and I'm super immersed in the cutscenes, but as soon as they start speaking spanish, everything falls apart.
Couldn't Rockstar afford finding people who can actually speak spanish to play mexicans? I mean at least get the big names to speak real spanish. Allende, who is supposed to be the leader in Mexico, a spanish-speaking country, speaks some of the most broken spanish I've heard and it really ruins the immersion for me.
It ruins any belief I might have for the characters as soon as they start speaking spanish.

I would understand it if it were some tiny studio making this game, but Rockstar? I'm dissappointed.    

#1 Posted by Giacomito (208 posts) -

The voice-acting in RDR is great!...except for when they speak spanish..which is why this becomes so apparent, the actos are great and I'm super immersed in the cutscenes, but as soon as they start speaking spanish, everything falls apart.
Couldn't Rockstar afford finding people who can actually speak spanish to play mexicans? I mean at least get the big names to speak real spanish. Allende, who is supposed to be the leader in Mexico, a spanish-speaking country, speaks some of the most broken spanish I've heard and it really ruins the immersion for me.
It ruins any belief I might have for the characters as soon as they start speaking spanish.

I would understand it if it were some tiny studio making this game, but Rockstar? I'm dissappointed.    

#2 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5818 posts) -

Dude I totally agree.

I guess most people won't notice how terrible the spanish voice acting is, but it's definitely distracting if you do.

#3 Posted by HellBrendy (994 posts) -

As a guy not knowing how "real" spanish sounds contra RDR-spanish I wasn't aware this was a problem.

#4 Posted by GravityProof (282 posts) -

Ehh, as a classic western movie throwback, in a way, i think it fits stylistically. 

#5 Posted by ChristianCastillo (1162 posts) -

agreed

#6 Posted by FlyingRat (1446 posts) -

I can imagine how distracting that would be, lucky for me there aren't really any Dutch speaking characters in games.

#7 Posted by Marz (5671 posts) -

Gary Carlos Cervantes who played Allende is Mexican. The game is a bit more Chicano in accent but it works for me.

#8 Posted by MannyMAR (521 posts) -

Yeah some of the spanish being spoken in RDR is pretty bad. It gave me a few chuckles along the way, I must admit. The actors are probably of latin descent , but probably aren't fluent in spanish and Rockstar probably didn't want to go through the hassle of checking the diction.

#9 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

I think they wanted bi-lingual voice actors to play the Spanish parts, because all of their dialogue with Marston is in English.

#10 Posted by Red12b (9085 posts) -

Vamanos! 

#11 Posted by TwilitEnd656 (617 posts) -

Eh. I don't know Spanish anyway. However, I am Korean, and while I did find much Crysis' Korean lines to be rather odd (more about the delivery, not so much about what was actually being said), it wasn't really a big thing. Just laughed and move on.

#12 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Cant you tell it was an inside joke.

#13 Posted by Giacomito (208 posts) -
@GravityProof: I would buy that argument if all of the spanish was broken, but it's not.
Some actors are pretty decent, which is why it's more jarring when someone is as bad as Allende is.
The worst is Allende, at least in the cutscene where he tells de santa that he needs to bring him some girls. (The first cutscene you encounter Allende)
That was horrible, he sounds like a mexican (or any hispanic) that has lived in the US his whole life and the only spanish he knows is from speaking with his grandmother since she doesnt speak english. 

I'll admit though, it's funny. But still, I breaks some of the immersion for me. Which sucks considering that everything else about the game is spot-on, the environment is very believable and the attention to detail is superb.
#14 Posted by DystopiaX (5360 posts) -

I think they tried to find someone with a good English speaking voice first that also happened to speak a little Spanish. Like someone else said, most people won't notice that the Spanish is less than perfect, but they will notice a bad/inferior voice actor who's Spanish is better.

#15 Posted by GravityProof (282 posts) -
@Giacomito said:
" @GravityProof: I would buy that argument if all of the spanish was broken, but it's not.Some actors are pretty decent, which is why it's more jarring when someone is as bad as Allende is.The worst is Allende, at least in the cutscene where he tells de santa that he needs to bring him some girls. (The first cutscene you encounter Allende)That was horrible, he sounds like a mexican (or any hispanic) that has lived in the US his whole life and the only spanish he knows is from speaking with his grandmother since she doesnt speak english. I'll admit though, it's funny. But still, I breaks some of the immersion for me. Which sucks considering that everything else about the game is spot-on, the environment is very believable and the attention to detail is superb. "
Good point. Reminds me of this (deliberately) hilarious scene from Black Dynamite

#16 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11393 posts) -

I never even noticed. 

#17 Posted by DonPixel (2627 posts) -

well at least some lines made me LoL, but yea.. besides it´s rockstar San Diego it´s not like we Mexicans are in shortage there your know.. 

#18 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

I don't like how they speak English with Spanish terms... it's totally dumb.

#19 Posted by MaddProdigy (1041 posts) -

I don't think it has to do with the size of the studio, breadth of the talent available, or a failure of the spanish speakers on the staff.

It comes down to the fact that very, very, very, very few people care at all, let alone care enough to make a thread about it. That, or it's a purposeful joke.
#20 Posted by DAFTPUNK (1213 posts) -

I'm to busy shooting and shit and collecting herbs.

#21 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2174 posts) -
@Marz said:
" Gary Carlos Cervantes who played Allende is Mexican. The game is a bit more Chicano in accent but it works for me. "
Same here. Didn't really distract me.

@Jayross said:
" I don't like how they speak English with Spanish terms... it's totally dumb. "
Thats how people speak.
#22 Posted by AyKay_47 (293 posts) -

lol. I don't know much about Spanish, but I do know Russian, and let me tell you something. I've played quite a few games, and seen quite a few movies, with characters who claim to speak "fluent" Russian. Every single one of them sounds like he or she is missing a chromosome. So if you can at least understand the words that the pseudo-Mexicans are saying, you should praise them.

#23 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1539 posts) -

They also can't afford people who can make a horse act like a horse and not a car.  Or make the controls in combat any good.  Wish they would just rip off Gears of War 2 and be done with it.

#24 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -
@Manhattan_Project
@Marz said:
" Gary Carlos Cervantes who played Allende is Mexican. The game is a bit more Chicano in accent but it works for me. "

@Jayross said:
" I don't like how they speak English with Spanish terms... it's totally dumb. "
Thats how people speak.
What kind of "people"? Surely not the average Mexican.
#25 Posted by CrazyBagMan (858 posts) -

We speak english in america.

#26 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -
@Giacomito: THANK YOU! I live in texas, so i know tons of Spanish speaking people. The accents were TERRIBAD in RDR. 
#27 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -
@Jayross said:
" @Manhattan_Project
@Marz said:

@Jayross said:
Thats how people speak.
What kind of "people"? Surely not the average Mexican. "
The average mexican who knows both languages are those near to the border or have emigrated speak spanglish so yeah, they would mix both in. Which is easy considering their both romantic languages

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.