This game almost looks too good

#1 Posted by Hunkulese (2628 posts) -

I'm kind of afraid that the saying if it looks to good to be true it probably is applies to this game. I just finished watching all the movies available on live and if everything they've included actually works like they've intended this could be the greatest game of all time. I'm sure I'll enjoy it anyway (hell I got a lot of enjoyment out of GUN) but I'm a little wary that the game looks too awesome.

#2 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -

This is the game I am looking forward to the most this year.

#3 Posted by Chronologist (267 posts) -

Rockstar has yet to dissapoint me... 
First time for everything is a sentence I don't wanna think about right now :P

#4 Posted by Davvyk (693 posts) -

Im pinning my flag to the "red dead will be awesome " flagpole now. Its getting little coverage but i think thats going to change on launch

#5 Posted by ProfessorEss (7254 posts) -

I'm not one to get worked up waiting on a game release, but this one... this one's got me chomping at the bit something awful.

#6 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Sweatshops can produce some nice shit sometimes.

#7 Posted by jkz (3999 posts) -

@ryanwho said:

"Sweatshops can produce some nice shit sometimes. "

Well said sir; well said.
#8 Posted by MikkaQ (10263 posts) -
@Davvyk said:
" Im pinning my flag to the "red dead will be awesome " flagpole now. Its getting little coverage but i think thats going to change on launch "
I say the coverage was controlled in a similar way to GTA IV, and look how bitchin' awesome that game was.
#9 Posted by Davvyk (693 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:
" @Davvyk said:
" Im pinning my flag to the "red dead will be awesome " flagpole now. Its getting little coverage but i think thats going to change on launch "
I say the coverage was controlled in a similar way to GTA IV, and look how bitchin' awesome that game was. "
Totally. That was a drip feed approach that had everyone clawing to grab the game. The main thing that appeals to me with red dead is the characters just seem to be interesting, but then again, arnt all rockstar characters.
#10 Posted by sixpin (1286 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" Sweatshops can produce some nice shit sometimes. "
That's why I wear Nike.
#11 Posted by DystopiaX (5291 posts) -

the only reason I haven't preordered it yet is cause i'm holding out for the limited edition, which has been confirmed for the UK but not the US.

#12 Edited by graf1k (410 posts) -
@DystopiaX said:

" the only reason I haven't preordered it yet is cause i'm holding out for the limited edition, which has been confirmed for the UK but not the US. "

Wow, I just looked that up and now I'm kind of pissed. It appears to get all the content in the UK LE you'd have to preorder the game at no less than three different stores here in the U.S. Same shit is happening with Just Cause 2. Why do we always get the shaft?
#13 Posted by Yummylee (21204 posts) -

I'm more excited for Mafia 2, simply down to my own tastes. But Redemption I know is going to be a fantasically AWEsome open-world game.
#14 Edited by MrKlorox (11198 posts) -

Here's how hype works: The more you expect something to be a certain way, the more disappointed you will be when it isn't that way (See Molyneux Syndrome). However hype works both ways, so expecting something to be bad could end up making the final product that much more enjoyable (worked for me and Indigo Prophecy).

I hyped the fuck out of GTA4 for myself and ended up hating the final product because of it. I expect RDR to be awesome, but I'm not going to even try to think about exactly how awesome. Just remove all unconfirmed expectations until you play it. They've released more concrete info on RDR than GTA4 so a lot of the speculation part of the hype seems to be curtailed compared to GTA4, which was under described.

#15 Posted by DystopiaX (5291 posts) -
@graf1k: actually the US usually gets it better- earlier release dates, sometimes better preorder/limited editions, if they come out overseas at all. The US is one of the biggest videogame markets; I just think they haven't announced it yet.
#16 Posted by MrKlorox (11198 posts) -
@DystopiaX said:
" @graf1k: actually the US usually gets it better- earlier release dates, sometimes better preorder/limited editions, if they come out overseas at all. The US is one of the biggest videogame markets; I just think they haven't announced it yet. "
Yeah I'm 100000% sure it's just an announcement thing. R* has certain marketing patterns. You can all expect a PC version to be announced six+ months after release also.
#17 Posted by Jimbo (9769 posts) -

That latest video does make it look pretty goddamn good.  But then I enjoyed GUN, so wtf do I know?

I think the mini-map could have perhaps been handled a little more elegantly, but that was really the only thing that stood out to me.

#18 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Is it coming out this year? Looks like Mass Effect 2 has some competition then. 

#19 Posted by MrKlorox (11198 posts) -
@Jimbo:  Yeah, the HUD looked a little wonky. Not sure what it was but damn it was an eye-sore.
#20 Posted by Jimbo (9769 posts) -
@Geno said:
" Is it coming out this year? Looks like Mass Effect 2 has some competition then.  "
Scheduled for May 18th at the moment I think.
#21 Posted by graf1k (410 posts) -

I hope you guys are right. I'm sure in the grand scheme of things the EU gets shafted as much if not more, but the two examples I listed really got to me as I'm really looking forward to both those games.

As for the game itself and the hype it's getting, I'm just stoked to see an open world sandbox game in a non-urban, non-modern setting. I love my Saints Row and my GTA, but I LOVED Mafia on the PC (another sequel I am really excited for, although what Ryan was saying on the Bombcast has me a little down). It always amazes me how changing something so simple as the setting can make a genre feel completely fresh (an RPG in a modern setting, ect.).

#22 Posted by Dustpan (1690 posts) -

I've been wanting for a good western game since GUN. This game looks amazing. I'm not using that word lightly.

#23 Posted by nanikore (2740 posts) -

Too bad it's going to suck, though.

#24 Posted by ZmillA (2257 posts) -

I'm very close to plopping down a preorder on amazon, probably will before its released.

#25 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -

this game has me more excited than any other game i have ever wanted

#26 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -

Suspiciously good...

#27 Posted by SPACETURTLE (1622 posts) -

The game I looked most forward too this year was definitely Metro 2033, and oh God... Metro delivered! Awesome game. Anyways, Redemption is my second on list of game I have been looking most forward to this year. And like you say, it looks incredible good! I recon the physics the Rage Enginee can push out of the hardware might have something to do with this. Cause when watching the trailers seeing duders get shot when riding horses and falling off looks awesome!

#28 Posted by TenaciousE (114 posts) -

I am not big into cowboys and stuff, but the original red dead was alot of fun

#29 Posted by shadowblazer19 (73 posts) -

This is the first time in years that I'm actually hyped for a game. Yes I'll get it asap.

#30 Posted by chrissedoff (2075 posts) -
@Chronologist said:
" Rockstar has yet to dissapoint me... First time for everything is a sentence I don't wanna think about right now :P "
not even state of emergency?
#31 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

I hope with all my heart this or Alan Wake gets brought forward/ delayed. 

I am too hyped for both games, yet can only afford one.

#32 Posted by Dirty_Harry (717 posts) -

Just hoping for steady framerate!

#33 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4577 posts) -

I just remind myself of Fable II every time I get excited about this, but I'm still pretty damn excited.

#34 Posted by GamerGeek360 (1959 posts) -

This game is definitely a game I will be watching closely from now to release. I never really played much of the first one but what I did play, I enjoyed.

#35 Posted by Camurai (259 posts) -

Looks amazing and right up my alley so it's on my radar.

#36 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4882 posts) -

If by "too good" you mean it looks like they're overworking their employees and being complete dicks, yes, yes it does look too good.

#37 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -
@graf1k said:
"Why do we always get the shaft? "
An American. Complaining that they don't get the best deals for games compared to Europe. 

I should smack you for that. We always get games later (even European-developed games) and we have to pay about twice as much. America gets it easy when it comes to games.
#38 Posted by DystopiaX (5291 posts) -

if a Rockstar game looks too good, that just means it's on par for rockstar games. (GTA, LA Noire, this)

#39 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5137 posts) -

This is my most anticipated game of 2010, I just wished it hadn't been delayed.
#40 Posted by natetodamax (19167 posts) -

I don't think it looks very interesting.

#41 Posted by J0n3s1 (295 posts) -

Everything looks so amazing! If it sucks i will stop gaming.

#42 Posted by Andorski (5173 posts) -

It looks like GTA: SA set in the West.  Interesting combo, indeed.

#43 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose said:
"

This is the game I am looking forward to the most this year.

"
Yep, me too.  EVERY video I've seen of it looks great.
#44 Posted by jmrwacko (2444 posts) -
@Hunkulese said:
" I'm kind of afraid that the saying if it looks to good to be true it probably is applies to this game. I just finished watching all the movies available on live and if everything they've included actually works like they've intended this could be the greatest game of all time. I'm sure I'll enjoy it anyway (hell I got a lot of enjoyment out of GUN) but I'm a little wary that the game looks too awesome. "
It looks like San Andreas mixed with The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly and materialized orgasm.
#45 Posted by Meltac (1992 posts) -

Even though it looks pretty cool, I'll still be buying Alan Wake over this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.