Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

To 'Auto Aim' or not to 'Auto Aim'

Avatar image for superintendentchalmers
    SuperIntendentChalmers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I played my first play through of Grand Theft Auto 4 with no Auto Aim. It really gave me my money's worth when I played it. I think I might do the same with Red Dead Redemption. 

What about you? Auto Aim or no Auto Aim?

Siepher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Siepher

I never even tried Grand Theft Auto IV with no auto aim. 

To be honest, I didn't even know you could turn it off. I probably will for RDR then. :)

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By swamplord666

depends on the difficulty of going without autoaim. I don't want to have to have split second aiming to hit anything, but at the same time i don't want to be locked onto anything that moves

Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Zimbo

I saw a gameplay video of a gunfight and it looked a bit to easy with auto aim on. So I'm going to play on expert.

Azrail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Azrail

wuts this auto aim u speak of? 
    oh its this thing u use when u use an inferior control scheme 

yeah i know, i should shut it

SuperIntendentChalmers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Azrail said:
    " wuts this auto aim u speak of? oh its this thing u use when u use an inferior control scheme   yeah i know, i should shut it "
    Are you saying that Grand Theft Auto aiming sucked? You're entitled to your opinion. It's not a Modern Warfare game nor Halo controls, but a sandbox game. Grand Theft Auto 4 really made big strides with their controls for game of that scale. I think they did it pulled it off with pretty well.
    LincoIn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LincoIn
    @swamplord666:  Agreed, I can see aiming while on horseback being problematic without auto-lock.
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Rowr

Auto-Aim is for bitches.

From the ign review : 
    "The cover system works similarly to GTA IV, but there just didn't seem much need for it when I could simply walk ahead slowly ripping off shots with perfect accuracy. I died here or there, but rarely did Red Dead Redemption feel particularly challenging. "

Avatar image for jellybeanranger
    JellybeanRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By JellybeanRanger

im going to try expert. if that doesnt go well then im pretty sure theres a medium with minor auto aim?

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By TheGreatGuero

You could turn off the auto-aim in GTAIV? Wow, this makes me want to replay it.

Well, I think I'll go without it. Auto-aim is kind of lousy, and IGN's review said the auto-aim makes the game too easy at times. So yeah, let's turn it off, dudes.

yevinorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#11  Edited By yevinorion

I'll reserve the judgment of that for when I play it, but as I'd say my free aiming skills have improved immensely since GTAIV (I've played a lot more shooters since then) I might try it with auto-aim off. In fact, if it was just as simple as the slight aim assist snap on from Modern Warfare I'd be happy with that.

tane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By tane

When I found out that there would be regenerating health in RDR, I decided I would not use auto-aim. The ONLY thing that made GTA IV hard was low health.  With regenerating health you can just stay behind cover and wait until you have full health. So even with no auto-aim I'm pretty sure it'll be too easy :(

Moridin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Moridin
    @tane said:
    " When I found out that there would be regenerating health in RDR, I decided I would not use auto-aim. The ONLY thing that made GTA IV hard was low health.  With regenerating health you can just stay behind cover and wait until you have full health. So even with no auto-aim I'm pretty sure it'll be too easy :( "
    My thoughts exactly, good sir. 
    PowerBombYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PowerBombYo

I've only used auto aim on one or two missions in GTA4, mainly due to friendly AI dying before I could clear out the area. Besides, it feels too restrictive when you auto aim. 

Also, I think multiplayer suffers greatly with cheap auto crap on. I hope it's better with RDR.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By canucks23

I'll start with the normal controls, and if it seems way to easy i'll move up to expert. For mp i'll be rolling no auto aim though, there's no point in playing with it.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By yakov456

NO to auto aim, especially in MP. I couldn't understand the fun of playing MP in GTA4 if the auto aim was on, what fun is that, what skill does that take? And it seemed like 85% of the matches I played were autoaim god dammit.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DystopiaX

No auto aim, especially since from the vids I've seen the rifles are one hit kills to the abdomen, aka where the auto aim latches on.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DystopiaX
    @canucks23 said:
    " I'll start with the normal controls, and if it seems way to easy i'll move up to expert. For mp i'll be rolling no auto aim though, there's no point in playing with it. "
    Unless the other guys play with it. 
    God, I hope disabling it is an option.
    canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By canucks23
    @DystopiaX said:
    " @canucks23 said:
    " I'll start with the normal controls, and if it seems way to easy i'll move up to expert. For mp i'll be rolling no auto aim though, there's no point in playing with it. "
    Unless the other guys play with it. God, I hope disabling it is an option. "
    When you pick a game mode to play, besides free roam, there's an option for an auto aim match or a no auto aim match.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MrKlorox

Absolutely not. While I like the ideas behind GTA4's autoaim, the game felt way too easy with it on. After my first playthrough I turned it off and played it through again. It felt like a completely different game.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DystopiaX
    @canucks23 said:
    " @DystopiaX said:
    " @canucks23 said:
    Unless the other guys play with it. God, I hope disabling it is an option. "
    When you pick a game mode to play, besides free roam, there's an option for an auto aim match or a no auto aim match. "
    good. if I meet some asshole in the open world who's killing everyone with auto aim... 
    fuck.
    Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

I play games on the default settings because the designers are usually pretty privy as to how best craft the particular experience they want the player to have. That said, the shooting is not really the reason I am play Red Dead. The world and what you can do in it is why I am playing Red Dead. Wasting fools is a bonus.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

I wanna kill a guy, not have a computer do it for me.

SuperIntendentChalmers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PowerBombYo said:
    " I've only used auto aim on one or two missions in GTA4, mainly due to friendly AI dying before I could clear out the area. Besides, it feels too restrictive when you auto aim.   Also, I think multiplayer suffers greatly with cheap auto crap on. I hope it's better with RDR. "
    @yakov456 said:
    " NO to auto aim, especially in MP. I couldn't understand the fun of playing MP in GTA4 if the auto aim was on, what fun is that, what skill does that take? And it seemed like 85% of the matches I played were autoaim god dammit. "
    MP auto aim was stupid. I'm glad more games on GTA IV have been disabling that feature, cause it really killed the community. 
    Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Three0neFive

Auto-Aim.

People seem to forget that if you only lightly hold R2 (RT for xbawcks players) you can free-aim, even with auto-aim enabled. I went through GTA 4 with auto-aim enabled, but only used it a few times.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

If the shooting is the same as GTA4 than I'll probably play with it on because it makes go at a pace I enjoy more.
    bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bhhawks78

I'll never understand the desire to play gta4 or rdr multiplayer

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By one_2nd

Idk, I'll have to see how the shooting is first. I'll probably go with auto aim off.

belaraphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By belaraphon

i liked gta4's auto aim. i thought i made things a little easier while still allowing me shot placement control. i think i'll use it again in red dead!

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By OldManLight

Off,  i hate auto aim in all its forms.  Played GTA4 with it off and have no regrets, firefights were much more fun actually working for your shots.  Plus if you don't you're missing out on some of the cool euphoria stuff like  if a stray shot hit a guy in the knees or shoulders, they react accordingly.

Avatar image for apocalypselater
    ApocalypseLater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By ApocalypseLater

That's a tough choice since I'm not very good at aiming with analog sticks in shooters.  Plus, since there is a major MP component to the game, auto aim would probably handicap you.  I'll probably force myself to play with expert aiming so that I can finally learn how to play shooters on a console well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.