To 'Auto Aim' or not to 'Auto Aim'

#1 Posted by SuperIntendentChalmers (102 posts) -

I played my first play through of Grand Theft Auto 4 with no Auto Aim. It really gave me my money's worth when I played it. I think I might do the same with Red Dead Redemption. 
 
What about you? Auto Aim or no Auto Aim?

#2 Posted by Siepher (255 posts) -

I never even tried Grand Theft Auto IV with no auto aim. 
 
To be honest, I didn't even know you could turn it off. I probably will for RDR then. :)

#3 Posted by swamplord666 (1757 posts) -

depends on the difficulty of going without autoaim. I don't want to have to have split second aiming to hit anything, but at the same time i don't want to be locked onto anything that moves

#4 Posted by Zimbo (875 posts) -

I saw a gameplay video of a gunfight and it looked a bit to easy with auto aim on. So I'm going to play on expert.

#5 Posted by Azrail (404 posts) -

wuts this auto aim u speak of? 
oh its this thing u use when u use an inferior control scheme 
 
 
yeah i know, i should shut it

#6 Posted by SuperIntendentChalmers (102 posts) -
@Azrail said:
" wuts this auto aim u speak of? oh its this thing u use when u use an inferior control scheme   yeah i know, i should shut it "
Are you saying that Grand Theft Auto aiming sucked? You're entitled to your opinion. It's not a Modern Warfare game nor Halo controls, but a sandbox game. Grand Theft Auto 4 really made big strides with their controls for game of that scale. I think they did it pulled it off with pretty well.
#7 Posted by LincoIn (255 posts) -
@swamplord666:  Agreed, I can see aiming while on horseback being problematic without auto-lock.
#8 Edited by Rowr (5479 posts) -

Auto-Aim is for bitches.
 
From the ign review : 
"The cover system works similarly to GTA IV, but there just didn't seem much need for it when I could simply walk ahead slowly ripping off shots with perfect accuracy. I died here or there, but rarely did Red Dead Redemption feel particularly challenging. "

#9 Posted by JellybeanRanger (31 posts) -

im going to try expert. if that doesnt go well then im pretty sure theres a medium with minor auto aim?

#10 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

You could turn off the auto-aim in GTAIV? Wow, this makes me want to replay it.
 
Well, I think I'll go without it. Auto-aim is kind of lousy, and IGN's review said the auto-aim makes the game too easy at times. So yeah, let's turn it off, dudes.

#11 Posted by yevinorion (691 posts) -

I'll reserve the judgment of that for when I play it, but as I'd say my free aiming skills have improved immensely since GTAIV (I've played a lot more shooters since then) I might try it with auto-aim off. In fact, if it was just as simple as the slight aim assist snap on from Modern Warfare I'd be happy with that.

#12 Posted by tane (31 posts) -

When I found out that there would be regenerating health in RDR, I decided I would not use auto-aim. The ONLY thing that made GTA IV hard was low health.  With regenerating health you can just stay behind cover and wait until you have full health. So even with no auto-aim I'm pretty sure it'll be too easy :(

#13 Posted by Moridin (713 posts) -
@tane said:
" When I found out that there would be regenerating health in RDR, I decided I would not use auto-aim. The ONLY thing that made GTA IV hard was low health.  With regenerating health you can just stay behind cover and wait until you have full health. So even with no auto-aim I'm pretty sure it'll be too easy :( "
My thoughts exactly, good sir. 
#14 Posted by PowerBombYo (192 posts) -

I've only used auto aim on one or two missions in GTA4, mainly due to friendly AI dying before I could clear out the area. Besides, it feels too restrictive when you auto aim. 
 
Also, I think multiplayer suffers greatly with cheap auto crap on. I hope it's better with RDR.

#15 Edited by canucks23 (1087 posts) -

I'll start with the normal controls, and if it seems way to easy i'll move up to expert. For mp i'll be rolling no auto aim though, there's no point in playing with it.

#16 Posted by yakov456 (1899 posts) -

NO to auto aim, especially in MP. I couldn't understand the fun of playing MP in GTA4 if the auto aim was on, what fun is that, what skill does that take? And it seemed like 85% of the matches I played were autoaim god dammit.

#17 Posted by DystopiaX (5293 posts) -

No auto aim, especially since from the vids I've seen the rifles are one hit kills to the abdomen, aka where the auto aim latches on.

#18 Posted by DystopiaX (5293 posts) -
@canucks23 said:
" I'll start with the normal controls, and if it seems way to easy i'll move up to expert. For mp i'll be rolling no auto aim though, there's no point in playing with it. "
Unless the other guys play with it. 
God, I hope disabling it is an option.
#19 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -
@DystopiaX said:
" @canucks23 said:
" I'll start with the normal controls, and if it seems way to easy i'll move up to expert. For mp i'll be rolling no auto aim though, there's no point in playing with it. "
Unless the other guys play with it. God, I hope disabling it is an option. "
When you pick a game mode to play, besides free roam, there's an option for an auto aim match or a no auto aim match.
#20 Posted by MrKlorox (11206 posts) -

Absolutely not. While I like the ideas behind GTA4's autoaim, the game felt way too easy with it on. After my first playthrough I turned it off and played it through again. It felt like a completely different game.

#21 Posted by DystopiaX (5293 posts) -
@canucks23 said:
" @DystopiaX said:
" @canucks23 said:
" I'll start with the normal controls, and if it seems way to easy i'll move up to expert. For mp i'll be rolling no auto aim though, there's no point in playing with it. "
Unless the other guys play with it. God, I hope disabling it is an option. "
When you pick a game mode to play, besides free roam, there's an option for an auto aim match or a no auto aim match. "
good. if I meet some asshole in the open world who's killing everyone with auto aim... 
fuck.
#22 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

I play games on the default settings because the designers are usually pretty privy as to how best craft the particular experience they want the player to have. That said, the shooting is not really the reason I am play Red Dead. The world and what you can do in it is why I am playing Red Dead. Wasting fools is a bonus.

#23 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6185 posts) -

I wanna kill a guy, not have a computer do it for me.

#24 Posted by SuperIntendentChalmers (102 posts) -
@PowerBombYo said:
" I've only used auto aim on one or two missions in GTA4, mainly due to friendly AI dying before I could clear out the area. Besides, it feels too restrictive when you auto aim.   Also, I think multiplayer suffers greatly with cheap auto crap on. I hope it's better with RDR. "
@yakov456 said:
" NO to auto aim, especially in MP. I couldn't understand the fun of playing MP in GTA4 if the auto aim was on, what fun is that, what skill does that take? And it seemed like 85% of the matches I played were autoaim god dammit. "
MP auto aim was stupid. I'm glad more games on GTA IV have been disabling that feature, cause it really killed the community. 
#25 Posted by Three0neFive (2288 posts) -

Auto-Aim.
 
People seem to forget that if you only lightly hold R2 (RT for xbawcks players) you can free-aim, even with auto-aim enabled. I went through GTA 4 with auto-aim enabled, but only used it a few times.

#26 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1577 posts) -

If the shooting is the same as GTA4 than I'll probably play with it on because it makes go at a pace I enjoy more.
#27 Posted by bhhawks78 (1202 posts) -

I'll never understand the desire to play gta4 or rdr multiplayer

#28 Posted by one_2nd (2359 posts) -

Idk, I'll have to see how the shooting is first. I'll probably go with auto aim off.

#29 Posted by belaraphon (451 posts) -

i liked gta4's auto aim. i thought i made things a little easier while still allowing me shot placement control. i think i'll use it again in red dead!

#30 Posted by OldManLight (828 posts) -

Off,  i hate auto aim in all its forms.  Played GTA4 with it off and have no regrets, firefights were much more fun actually working for your shots.  Plus if you don't you're missing out on some of the cool euphoria stuff like  if a stray shot hit a guy in the knees or shoulders, they react accordingly.

#31 Posted by ApocalypseLater (98 posts) -

That's a tough choice since I'm not very good at aiming with analog sticks in shooters.  Plus, since there is a major MP component to the game, auto aim would probably handicap you.  I'll probably force myself to play with expert aiming so that I can finally learn how to play shooters on a console well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.