Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Dead Redemption

Game » consists of 23 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Red Dead Redemption is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver, featuring a vibrant, open world set in the decline of the American Wild West. Players take on the role of former outlaw John Marston, who is forced to hunt down his former gang to regain his family.

Unnatural Selection Achievement?

WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

So Ive completed Red Dead Redemption and Im now trying to get some more of the longer achievements. My first mission is the Unnatural Selection achievement (The one for killing one of every species of animal within the game during any game type) 
    Yet there are a few animals proving weirdly tricky, Ive killed every animal apart from the: 
    Buck 
    Buffalo  
    Seagull 
    Mule 

I know where to find them all and what times they turn up I just never seem to find them, does anyone have any tips as to getting them? 
    Im just getting them in free roam, would it be easier to get them in different game types? 
    Btw, could someone post a picture of an in-game buck, because I keep thinking Ive killed one and its either a deer or an elk. Im stupid :D thats all.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    Check this out 

Seagull I found near black water. 

And you do not need mule. Thats a domestic animal. 
    And Buffalo can be found where its picture is on the great plains. 
    Sammichman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Sammichman

Buffalo is on the great planes. Seagul is by the sea, I got mine in Blackwater. Mules are in mexico being ridden by some people and bucks are up north in the forrest (They have big horns and are like deer).

Linkin10362

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Linkin10362

Bucks are most commonly found in the Tall Trees area, just roam around there and start killing all the deer like things you see and you'll get it. They are also mostly by the forest like area of Tall Trees, if you go the the snow place you won't find much. You can tell it's a buck by the really big antlers they have.

Buffalo are in the Great Plains area, I found it easier to load the mission "At Home with Dutch" because you ride by some buffalo and the professor points them out to you. 

Seagull can be found at the docks of Blackwater in the morning and afternoon, took awhile for them to spawn, but I got it there eventually. 

Mules...I don't think you need to kill them for the achievement, but some people ride them around in Mexico by most of the popular towns.

WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

Are you allowed to kill them within the campaign? 
    I thought t was only online?

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @WoodenPlatypus said:
    " Are you allowed to kill them within the campaign? I thought t was only online? "
    This achievement can only be done in campaign. Buffalo are not shown in Free roam. 
    WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WoodenPlatypus
    @The_Laughing_Man:
    Ahh no :/ Ive been hunting animals online free roam for the past hour :( 
    I guess I am an idiot, I was wondering why there was no buffallo in the Great Plains. 
    Thanks for the heads up :D I dfont think I have many more to kill in the campaign anyways.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @WoodenPlatypus said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: Ahh no :/ Ive been hunting animals online free roam for the past hour :( I guess I am an idiot, I was wondering why there was no buffallo in the Great Plains. Thanks for the heads up :D I dfont think I have many more to kill in the campaign anyways. "
    Good luck. And check that site I sent you. Also if you sign onto the social network it lists what you have killed. 
    Linkin10362

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Linkin10362

Well, if you have killed some animals in free roam, they count as well. It's not like you have to kill all the animals in campaign to get the achievement. It's just that buffalo never show up in free roam (unless someone uses it as a stead). 

I killed a seagull in free roam and I never did it in campaign and I ended up getting the achievement after killing my last animal in campaign (stupid foxes, never could find them).

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " Check this out  Seagull I found near black water.  And you do not need mule. Thats a domestic animal. And Buffalo can be found where its picture is on the great plains.  "
    Oh, so I should stop killing all the innocent dogs I see? Man... that's a relief. I was starting to feel kind of bad about it...

I like those stubborn mules, though. Riding into a gunfight on a mule makes me feel all manly.
    WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By WoodenPlatypus
    @The_Laughing_Man:
    Thanks mate, Ill definatley check out that site :D Im off Red Dead at the minute but ill probably go back on within tonight. Ill check back here if I have any problems. 
    Have you got the achievement?
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @WoodenPlatypus said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: Thanks mate, Ill definatley check out that site :D Im off Red Dead at the minute but ill probably go back on within tonight. Ill check back here if I have any problems. Have you got the achievement? "
    I am waiting to get the buffalo rifle to start hunting the buffalo. To make it easier. And I think that is the last one I need. 
    brianmcdon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By brianmcdon

I just finished the story today and i swear i have never seen a Bighorn Sheep.

WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

Yeah :/ I dont want to turn the game back on to find I have half the animals again and kill them is worrying :P I guess I have patience on my side and I have to stay up all night so it wont be that bad. Happy Buffalo hunting? :D 
    Dont wait for the rifle just go for it. Throwing knives :P (Y)
    Spence_5060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Spence_5060

I probably and hope to be not the first one to say this, but try and use bait while in the middle of the area where to find each animal. I know this is pretty obvious, but it's the only advice I can really give.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @WoodenPlatypus said:
    " Yeah :/ I dont want to turn the game back on to find I have half the animals again and kill them is worrying :P I guess I have patience on my side and I have to stay up all night so it wont be that bad. Happy Buffalo hunting? :D Dont wait for the rifle just go for it. Throwing knives :P (Y) "
    What system?  

Also for the little challenges . If you do most of them. You will get most of the kills you need. 

Right now I am going for barely legal. But I am having issues. I kill one bear and about 5 of his homies come out of no where. 
    WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WoodenPlatypus
    @Brianmcdon:
    Theyre found in places like Cochinay and stuff usually being mauled by cougars or getting owned by bears in tall trees. 
    Its the goat/sheep with the weird curve around horns right? :D
    Linkin10362

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Linkin10362
    @Spence_5060:
    Bait never helped me get the animals to come over. Hell, when I was hunting the legendary animals to finally get 100% for the game, the instructions clearly said "Use bait to lure them out", but when I did it nothing showed up, causing me to sit there and wait for the animal to arrive. 

Not fun when I was waiting for the jaguar and he just pounced from a mountain and one hit killed me.
    WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By WoodenPlatypus
    @The_Laughing_Man:
    System as in console? If so, Xbox 360. 
    Bears are bitches on the game, I see what you mean. I kill one or two and the next thing I know an army of them do a forest drive by on me. 
    The worst thing, being spawn killed by cougars online. A group of 5 cougars, no fun :P 
    Im going for that achievement next. What about the one for breaking in the 3 horses? I dont know what they look like lol
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Linkin10362 said:
    " @Spence_5060: Bait never helped me get the animals to come over. Hell, when I was hunting the legendary animals to finally get 100% for the game, the instructions clearly said "Use bait to lure them out", but when I did it nothing showned up, causing me to sit there and wait for the animal to arrive.  Not fun when I was waiting for the jaguar and he just pounced from a mountain and one hit killed me. "
    From what I understand. You kill the guys in an area. THEN use the bait. 

I am yet to get the legendary yet. When does that come up? 
    Linkin10362

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Linkin10362
    @The_Laughing_Man: 

The jaguar is the 9th challenge in hunting and the bear, boar, and wolf are the 10th.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Linkin10362 said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man:  The jaguar is the 9th challenge in hunting and the bear, boar, and wolf are the 10th. "
    I am at killing cougars with a knife..and now they sunndly are missing. 
    Linkin10362

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Linkin10362
    @The_Laughing_Man:
    God, I hated that challenge. Same thing happened to me, I never had a problem finding cougars until I got that challenge, then they never showed up. I just gave up and did some bounty missions and when I was returning to the town with one of the bounties, three cougars ran up and attacked me. 

I somehow managed to kill and skin all three with the knife, but my bounty was killed in the battle.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Linkin10362 said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: God, I hated that challenge. Same thing happened to me, I never had a problem finding cougars until I got that challenge, then they never showed up. I just gave up and did some bounty missions and when I was returning to the town with one of the bounties, three cougars ran up and attacked me.  I somehow managed to kill and skin all three with the knife, but my bounty was killed in the battle. "
    I found lots of bob cats. But no cougars. 
    xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By xMP44x
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    What system?   Also for the little challenges . If you do most of them. You will get most of the kills you need.  Right now I am going for barely legal. But I am having issues. I kill one bear and about 5 of his homies come out of no where.  "
    Put on the Carcano Rifle (it's a sniper rifle), and then shoot an enemy dead. Use Dead Eye, and then mark his friends. Or, use a shotgun such as the Semi-Automatic Shotgun. I'm sure there are guides, but this is my first idea as to how to do it.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Linkin10362 said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: God, I hated that challenge. Same thing happened to me, I never had a problem finding cougars until I got that challenge, then they never showed up. I just gave up and did some bounty missions and when I was returning to the town with one of the bounties, three cougars ran up and attacked me.  I somehow managed to kill and skin all three with the knife, but my bounty was killed in the battle. "
    O and I am at the " disarm people with one gun" Challange. 
    Linkin10362

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Linkin10362
    @The_Laughing_Man:
    Without reloading? Yeah, that one is annoying too, but it's the final challenge in sharpshooter. I just went to one of the Mexican villages and start to shoot some people until some pulled out guns, then it was just trying to shoot the gun and not their hand in Dead Eye.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Linkin10362 said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: Without reloading? Yeah, that one is annoying too, but it's the final challenge in sharpshooter. I just went to one of the Mexican villages and start to shoot some people until some pulled out guns, then it was just trying to shoot the gun and not their hand in Dead Eye. "
    I think its gonna be easy. Since using dead eye bypasses reloading. 
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By c1337us

Isn't there a late game mission requiring you to kill a Buck. Doesn't that count?

WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By WoodenPlatypus
    @c1337us:
    Most things you do in mission dont count for achievements or anything (for example the gang hideouts) 
    So I doubt it

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.