Which is worse, a cougar or a grizzly bear?

• 0 results
#1 Posted by Deerak (6 posts) -

I want to know, as I have had no personal experience with either, although my friend was playing and was randomly attacked by a cougar near Macfarlane`s Ranch and it killed him and his horse in one hit. but Ive never encountered a bear.

#2 Posted by lilbigsupermario (842 posts) -

you'll encounter bears in Tall Trees, upper right corner of the map, where there are snowy fields :) 

as for which is worse, the cougar. 

it's quick, it's feisty, it shrieks, and it jumps on top of you in a blink of an eye...

#3 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -

OH SHIT COU-

#4 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

Cougars. The Grizzlies are a bunch of pussies. I never had trouble putting one down.

#5 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

Need I say more?
#6 Posted by lilbigsupermario (842 posts) -
@JJWeatherman:  

LOL! if i see that cougar with a sword on its back, i'll definitely make a run for it lol! 

maybe look out for this instead: 

#7 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

For the grizzles. Wont they just stand their ground? Only a few have charged me. Cougars are just evil. 

#8 Edited by Godlyawesomeguy (6398 posts) -

If a cougar finds you before you find him then you are completely fucked. You have a chance at recovery if the bear sees you first.

#9 Posted by TheDoorman (534 posts) -

I remember I was on a bounty mission and all of sudden my kentucky saddker which I had just gotten from bonnie collapsed.

I was like wtf. And than I realized. Oh SHIT cougar territory. I got the hell outta there. Before I was able to, I got ambushed by two cougars.

#10 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1225 posts) -

Cougars, bears are actually really easy to take down.

#11 Posted by Jhriad (115 posts) -

Cougar.  I wanted to punch my television after the 6th time of trying to wrangle a Kentucky Saddler was met with yet another cougar attack.  Seriously.  Every single time I'd get the damn thing roped and approached it to break the horse a cougar magically appeared and attacked my ass.

#12 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Cougars. Bears are scarier though

#13 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2924 posts) -
@luce said:
" OH SHIT COU- "
This pretty much sums it up.
#14 Posted by Yummylee (21652 posts) -

Boars with their ear piercing squeal destroy both.

#15 Edited by xMP44x (2193 posts) -

The Bears are much more dangerous than the Cougars. A cougar can kill you in two hits, and your horse in one. The bear kills both of you in one hit each, I think. Or if I'm wrong on that, the bear can floor you before going in for the second hit.... or something like that. Bears are easy to take down though, because all you do is use Dead Eye and put an entire magazine from your pistol into its face. The Cougar can run way too quickly to keep up with though, so it's all really personal preference as to which one is harder to take on.

#16 Posted by Yummylee (21652 posts) -
@xMP44x:  
Bears kill you in two hits and while the first hit would knock you to the ground, they'd always circle around you for a century giving you plenty of time to regenerate your health back to full. Least that's how all bear encounters went with me.
#17 Posted by Gabriel (4061 posts) -

In real life a cougar, you can play dead with a bear a cougar will just rape you. 

In Red Dead there seem to be more bears.

#18 Posted by Yummylee (21652 posts) -
@Gabriel said:
" In real life a cougar, you can play dead with a bear a cougar will just rape you.  In Red Dead there seem to be more bears. "
I think there's more cougars about...you just don't know it. O.O They're always there...watching.
#19 Posted by Andrela (621 posts) -

Never died from an animal attack in Red Dead. The auto aim just makes it too easy to kill things, just use the repeater and they go down in no time. Also its way easy to abuse the bullet time to center shots on an enemys head

#20 Posted by Helimocopter (369 posts) -

in the multiplayer, boars are the most terrifying creatures i have ever meant
in sp cougars are the worst

#21 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -

There is something about riding through Tall Trees in the snow and seeing a bear five feet from you that is absolutely terrifying.  Cougars are harder to kill and more deadly but bears are way scarier.

#22 Edited by MooseyMcMan (11025 posts) -

Well, the bears take more damage, but the cougars are a lot faster. I've probably died more from cougars though, as they live in just about all areas, whereas bears tend to stay near the forests of West Elizabeth. 

@Andrela: That is why I played with the auto-aim turned off. Like a man.  

Edit: I should also add that once when I was trying to find a lone bear for the kill a bear with a knife challenge, I stumbled upon a spot where bears spawned indefinitely, and I took down about ten before one felled my horse and got me. Also, if you do get hit by a bear, it pretty much means instant death, because they have two hit kills, and one hit causes you to fall on the ground and be stunned for about 10 seconds, during which time the bear comes in for the kill. 

#23 Posted by Andrela (621 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan: I turned it off halfway through Mexico, you just breeze through everything with it turned on.
#24 Posted by Skytylz (4033 posts) -

Cougars, but both are  push overs if you see them and just get them with dead eye.

#25 Posted by Fontan (318 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan said:
"@Andrela: That is why I played with the auto-aim turned off. Like a man.  "

#26 Posted by dr_pineapple (197 posts) -

The true answer is in your heart

#27 Posted by Glak (613 posts) -

You can see bears running towards you
Cougars are goddamn ninjas

#28 Posted by DystopiaX (5310 posts) -
@Fontan said:
" @MooseyMcMan said:
"
But seriously, after you get the buffalot rifle/decent shotgun neither of these poses a problem.
#29 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6398 posts) -
@Fontan said:
" @MooseyMcMan said:
"
Dead eye is fun to use.
#30 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -
@Andrela said:
" Never died from an animal attack in Red Dead. The auto aim just makes it too easy to kill things, just use the repeater and they go down in no time. Also its way easy to abuse the bullet time to center shots on an enemys head "
Cougars usually attack without you knowing they are there, so auto aim doesn't help. Picking flowers, riding a horse, enjoying the scenery and then bam, you go down.
#31 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -
@Andrela said:
" Never died from an animal attack in Red Dead. The auto aim just makes it too easy to kill things, just use the repeater and they go down in no time. Also its way easy to abuse the bullet time to center shots on an enemys head "
Dude, you play with auto-aim? Not cool, man. Not cool.
#32 Posted by SilentCommando (579 posts) -
@luce said:
" OH SHIT COU- "
Pretty accurate.
#33 Posted by EpicSteve (6487 posts) -

At least with bears you seem them coming...

#34 Posted by jmrwacko (2443 posts) -

Cougars just fucking sneak up on you.

Bears are more dangerous, but you can see em from a mile away.

#35 Posted by Sharpless (469 posts) -
@TheGreatGuero said:
" @Andrela said:
Dude, you play with auto-aim? Not cool, man. Not cool. "
Ugh, don't be that way. Let people play how they want to play. You're no less awesome for not being great at expert aiming, and you're no more awesome for being good at expert aiming.
#36 Posted by Tearhead (2168 posts) -

Cougars are fucking dicks! At least bears have the decency of attacking you head on. Fighting a bear is an honorable duel, while cougars just fight dirty.

#37 Posted by Gearhead (2251 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry said:
" @luce said:
" OH SHIT COU- "
This pretty much sums it up. "
Yup.
#38 Posted by AlwaysBeClothing (1470 posts) -

During a mission no less I was climbing up a bunch of stuff when suddenly a cougar was magically up there.  The only way up is the route I was climbing and there was only maybe 2 sq feet of area about a mile up from sea level.

Long story short, I was free falling for about 10 seconds with a cougar in my grill.

#39 Posted by Wakeman (6 posts) -

cougars. they are complete fucking ninjas, there is no better term for it. i was frequently screwed over by cougars earlier in the game before i could afford a deed to a good horse... had a great kentucky saddler that i loved like my child until it was slaughtered without warning by a cougar.

#40 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -
@Sharpless said:
" @TheGreatGuero said:
" @Andrela said:
Dude, you play with auto-aim? Not cool, man. Not cool. "
Ugh, don't be that way. Let people play how they want to play. You're no less awesome for not being great at expert aiming, and you're no more awesome for being good at expert aiming. "
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but if you're playing with auto-aim, you're making the game too easy for yourself. Combat is kind of a joke with auto-aim on. I'm not trying to make myself look good or anything, but I read some reviews of the game before it came out, and they advised me it's better to play without auto-aim, so that's what I've done. After seeing my cousin playing the game with auto-aim on, I totally see what they mean. Games are less fun when there's no challenge.
#41 Posted by spazmaster666 (1967 posts) -

Cougars were far worse for me because they come out of nowhere (even while you're on a road), whereas it's pretty easy to spot a Bear when it's near. Not to mention Cougars are present in far more places than Bears (which are mainly just in Tall Trees).

#42 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -
@Andrela said:
So turn the auto-aim off?
#43 Posted by Sharpless (469 posts) -
@TheGreatGuero: I don't play video games for a challenge though, generally. I'm always open about the fact that I'm not an amazing player. I'm not bad, but I'm competent and have nothing to prove, either to myself or to anyone else. I play games to have fun. Now, yes, challenge can be fun, but in an intense, slow game like Red Dead, I really don't want to be constantly on the verge of death because it takes me too long to lock onto the guy who's shooting me. I don't like it too easy, but I also don't like it so difficult that it impedes my ability to enjoy the game.
#45 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

I came into this thread thinking it was in Off-Topic and I was like, HOLY SHIT WHERE DO YOU ALL LIVE FIGHTING ALL THESE COUGERS AN BEARS. Then I saw I was under the RDR forum..

#46 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6992 posts) -

Cougars are the worst because you don't see them coming.

#47 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -
@Sharpless:  Well, I think dead eye kind of serves that purpose. I feel that it makes things easy enough. Sure, without auto-aim, I've died a few times, but considering how many people I've killed myself, it only seems fair.
#48 Posted by MjHealy (1851 posts) -

Cougars, the sneaky fucks.

#49 Posted by jakob187 (21671 posts) -

Fuckin cougars... 

...how do they work?

#50 Posted by hinderk (685 posts) -

I have never been killed by a cougar but have been killed by multiple bears. The bastards always get me while I'm trying to kill something else.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.