Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Faction: Guerrilla

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Jun 02, 2009

After the death of his brother at the hands of a corrupt Earth government, Alec Mason has no choice but to join the Red Faction terrorist cell and fight to free Mars from Earth oppression.

And so it begins... RF:G Reviews

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Edited By wrecks

As a fan and prolific mapper of the original PC game, I have been anxiously anticipating the release of Red Faction : Guerrilla. The Beta showed it's promise, the Demos deepened that promise, and now as the reviews trickle in... my anticipation has become a fever. Seems like it will be a unique and explosive experience that will last me most if not all summer.  Plus I will more than likely replay it in the PC version when it is released. A few quotes I snagged from Metacritic, etc below.

And, if  you have interest, you can check how Red Faction caught my imagination back in the day : http://redfaction.levels4you.com/downloads.l4y?cat=search&author=w.r.e.c.k.s.

Game Informer : 9/10

"The single-player campaign is lengthy, and continually rewarding. Don’t be surprised, however, if you shun this experience for multiplayer. Wrecking Crew mode is the most enjoyable controller-passing game that I’ve come across since Burnout’s Crash mode. The goal of this mode is to tally as much destruction as you can. Your friends then have to try and beat your score. On top of this, Red Faction offers 125 ranks worth of depth in its competitive multiplayer. Deathmatching in destructive playgrounds is a powerful proposition that changes the tactics of war. Why bother with a headshot when you can drop a bridge that kills five? Being able to change classes mid-match through backpack pick-ups is also a cool idea that works well with the team-based modes.

No matter what mode you enter, Red Faction: Guerrilla delivers on its promise of destruction, and offers an experience unlike anything else out there."

GamePro : 5/5

"Though the game has a few faults, such as some occasional background pop-in and a few minor AI issues, the whole experience is a blast (literally), and you'd be missing a great action experience by not checking this one out."

GameFocus : 9.2/10

"Bringing the Red Faction franchise to next-generation consoles might have took three years but the final result is astounding. There’s no doubt that THQ and Volition have put all their knowledge, energies and hearts into this project not only to please Red Faction fans who were disappointed by Red Faction II but also to captivate a whole new audience looking for the next great game. By delivering a solid campaign mode, an incredibly vast open world, destructible environments and addictive multiplayer modes, THQ and Volition brings you a high quality game that you can’t miss. Red Faction: Guerrilla is a must have in your collection and it won’t be forgotten when award season starts somewhere by the end of the year. While people aren’t expecting the game that much, they will be extremely surprised by it. We highly recommend it."

MSXBOX World : 9.5/10

"THQ and Volition have truly outdone themselves with Red Faction: Guerrilla. They have effectively “mined” the eight-year-old franchise and struck gaming gold, combining several recent yet tried–and-true gameplay mechanics with a spectacular physics engine, top-notch production values and a great story, resulting in a worthy (and easily the best ) sequel to the franchise as well as a highly original product in its own right. How often does that happen? For action-adventure and shooter fans looking for a fresh, solid and fun title to last them well into the summer, this is a day one, “must buy” purchase."

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By wrecks

As a fan and prolific mapper of the original PC game, I have been anxiously anticipating the release of Red Faction : Guerrilla. The Beta showed it's promise, the Demos deepened that promise, and now as the reviews trickle in... my anticipation has become a fever. Seems like it will be a unique and explosive experience that will last me most if not all summer.  Plus I will more than likely replay it in the PC version when it is released. A few quotes I snagged from Metacritic, etc below.

And, if  you have interest, you can check how Red Faction caught my imagination back in the day : http://redfaction.levels4you.com/downloads.l4y?cat=search&author=w.r.e.c.k.s.

Game Informer : 9/10

"The single-player campaign is lengthy, and continually rewarding. Don’t be surprised, however, if you shun this experience for multiplayer. Wrecking Crew mode is the most enjoyable controller-passing game that I’ve come across since Burnout’s Crash mode. The goal of this mode is to tally as much destruction as you can. Your friends then have to try and beat your score. On top of this, Red Faction offers 125 ranks worth of depth in its competitive multiplayer. Deathmatching in destructive playgrounds is a powerful proposition that changes the tactics of war. Why bother with a headshot when you can drop a bridge that kills five? Being able to change classes mid-match through backpack pick-ups is also a cool idea that works well with the team-based modes.

No matter what mode you enter, Red Faction: Guerrilla delivers on its promise of destruction, and offers an experience unlike anything else out there."

GamePro : 5/5

"Though the game has a few faults, such as some occasional background pop-in and a few minor AI issues, the whole experience is a blast (literally), and you'd be missing a great action experience by not checking this one out."

GameFocus : 9.2/10

"Bringing the Red Faction franchise to next-generation consoles might have took three years but the final result is astounding. There’s no doubt that THQ and Volition have put all their knowledge, energies and hearts into this project not only to please Red Faction fans who were disappointed by Red Faction II but also to captivate a whole new audience looking for the next great game. By delivering a solid campaign mode, an incredibly vast open world, destructible environments and addictive multiplayer modes, THQ and Volition brings you a high quality game that you can’t miss. Red Faction: Guerrilla is a must have in your collection and it won’t be forgotten when award season starts somewhere by the end of the year. While people aren’t expecting the game that much, they will be extremely surprised by it. We highly recommend it."

MSXBOX World : 9.5/10

"THQ and Volition have truly outdone themselves with Red Faction: Guerrilla. They have effectively “mined” the eight-year-old franchise and struck gaming gold, combining several recent yet tried–and-true gameplay mechanics with a spectacular physics engine, top-notch production values and a great story, resulting in a worthy (and easily the best ) sequel to the franchise as well as a highly original product in its own right. How often does that happen? For action-adventure and shooter fans looking for a fresh, solid and fun title to last them well into the summer, this is a day one, “must buy” purchase."

Avatar image for vitaminwateryum
    VitaminWaterYum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By VitaminWaterYum

Wow, I was expecting this to get 8/10's or something. Good thing it looks so awesome.

DECA555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By DECA555

this doesnt surprise me. The demo was fucking awesome. To bad i wont be playing this. Infamous = Video Crack 

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By wrecks

@DECA555

I believe it, looks amazing! Alas, I will have to settle for RF:G and Prototype.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By JJOR64

The mulitplayer beta was ok.  Maybe I should check out the demo.

Psyx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Psyx2

I hope the PC version is as good as the console versions are.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#7  Edited By LordAndrew

It looked awesome in the Quick Look, and it looks like it's actually living up to the awesomeness I saw there. Great news. :)

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By wrecks
    JJOR64 said:
    yes. yes you should.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Jayge_

It's holding a 91 on Meta, which is excellent. Like inFamous, I expect it to drop down to like 86 or so eventually, but fuck if I care, this game is fucking amazing. I payed off my pre-order already, and I don't even pre-order things anymore.

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By cinemandrew

I don't know. I wasn't thrilled with the Demo. To be honest. I figured it would get much lower reviews. I was really excited about this game. I love the idea of a completely destructable environment, but the demo didn't come anywhere close to my expectations. I'm glad to see it's getting good reviews though. Maybe I'll have to reconsider checking this one out.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Awesome. I loved the original when it came out. It was my first dual-analog FPS experience. Took a while to get the hang of it, but I had an unforgettable time with it. The second game let me down a bit, so I'm glad to see this one is getting great review scores. I'll be looking forward to Giantbomb's own review.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Diamond
    JJOR64 said:
    The MP beta was SHIT compared to the MP demo.  It's like a completely different game!  GO GO GO.

I'm pretty damn hyped for RFG.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Binman88
    Psyx2 said:
    I hope the PC version is as good as the console versions are.
    Me too. It's being ported by Reactor Zero apparently.
    Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Oriental_Jams

I did not expect that. The demo was great, but I wouldn't have thought more than an 8. Ah well, wrong again.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By tekmojo

I had no doubts on the awesomeness on this game. I see this game being played for years to come.

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Babble

Glad to see the great reviews, I will be picking this one up, maybe even on the first day. It's nice to know that Summer won't be a complete drought of games!

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By StarFoxA

Judging by the fact that I neglected Fallout 3 to play the single-player demo over and over, I have to say I expected this.

Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Oriental_Jams
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jayge_
    Oriental_Jams said:
    Gets an eight from IGN.
    I read that entire review with Onyett's voice in my head, which is making me want to strangle small children right now. Listening to that mouth-breather talk on the Three Red Lights podcast is one of the least enjoyable things I do in any given week.

That said, the only thing I find interesting is that he gave the graphics a 7. That's a good score, but with the advanced destruction physics and great framerate I would have thought it might garner a higher rating. Hmm.
    wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By wrecks
    Oriental_Jams said:
    Gets an eight from IGN.
    8 is great! I'll take that.
    PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PercyChuggs

IGN didn't like the story and characters. With a game like this, who really cares?

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Discorsi

I really want the game but some of the physics of broken buildings really annoys me.  I know that shit should not still be standing/ the building should not have broken as such.  I know what I really want would be really really difficult to pull off, but it still bothers me.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By vidiot

I had a fun time playing the single player. I essentially ran around while in an Xbox Live Party declaring to my friends, quote: "Holy shit! It really is hammer time!".

What I want to convey is that the hammer in the game is one of the most ludicrously amazing weapon ever made for a videogame.

SenatorSpacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#24  Edited By SenatorSpacer

Wow that's pretty awesome, I guess a surprise hit.

Psyx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Psyx2
    Binman88 said:
    Psyx2 said: I hope the PC version is as good as the console versions are. Me too. It's being ported ... [more]
    Yeah, that has me worried. Also since it was delayed, I'm getting the idea that it might just be a bad port.
    billcosby2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By billcosby2004

Not at all surprised by the reviews so far after that demo.  I've never replayed a demo as much as this one.  Note to video game developers - total environmental destructability = awesome

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By wrecks

And the hits keep coming!

TeamXbox : 9/10

"What does work really well in Red Faction: Guerrilla, though, is the overall game design. All of the missions—those that drive the story as well as activities peppered throughout the world and dynamic events that pop up as you play—are completely distinct from one another, adding a nice dose of variety that even the makers of GTA have had a hard time with. Like all open-world games, you have a multitude of things to choose to do at any given moment, and in Red Faction: Guerrilla they are all equally fun and appealing."

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By VWGTI
    @PercyChuggs:

I thought the exact same thing. Did the reviewer go in expecting an epic tale? You play a game like this to blow shit up.
    wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By wrecks

and more! Game of the summer assured!

WorthPlaying : 9.3/10

"It is safe to say that Red Faction: Guerrilla has exceeded our expectations in almost every regard. While it is not a perfect game, it breaks a tremendous amount of new ground from a technical perspective and bundles in an enjoyable single-player experience with a solid multiplayer component. Red Faction: Guerrilla may not have the name recognition of Halo or Call of Duty, but it has enough depth of play to hold its own against any contenders."

Game Shark : 91/100

"A few brief descriptions will be enough to convince most folks to play Red Faction Guerrilla. Free-roaming; third-person shooter; Total Recall; explosions. If you weren’t interested before, you definitely want to free Mars now, don’t you? Renegade violence, driving around a well-designed planet and crushing enemies with a sledgehammer is a brazen blast, and even if a lackluster narrative fails to make you care about why you’re doing it, there’s a ton to get out of simply watching the world realistically react to your inflicted mayhem."

Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
    Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

I can't wait to pick it up. I enjoyed the mulitplayer demo so much.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3
    deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

This is shaping up to be what Mercs 2 should have been.

I'm pumped.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn.  The single player demo didn't quite blow me away so I'm surprised.  I'll have to check out the full game.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#33  Edited By godzilla_sushi

After I played the single player demo I was completely on board. I sure didn't expect to have a great time with it. But the first little driving rampage you go on is a ton of fun.

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Mrnitropb

I was really surprised that for the demo advertising 150 missions and a bajillions hours of gameplay, it was just a one mission demo, with a time limit. For an open world game. .  Still liks banging though.

cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By cc23574

Let's hope that it will sell well. THQ needs it.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lashe

Sounds like Mercs 2 done right.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By wrecks

About 5 hours into the single player... It's fantastic! Immersive and action packed! GOTY so far for me.

coolof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#38  Edited By coolof

Just pre-ordered* it after trying the multiplayer demo. I didn't like the singleplayer demo that much but the multiplayer was just awesome.

*It's released the 5th here in Sweden.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Diamond

My copy has shipped.  Will get it tomorrow.  Will be good to take a break from all the CG and play a real game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.