Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Faction: Guerrilla

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Jun 02, 2009

After the death of his brother at the hands of a corrupt Earth government, Alec Mason has no choice but to join the Red Faction terrorist cell and fight to free Mars from Earth oppression.

Driving, Transporter Missions, and True Racing

SketchyBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By SketchyBrown

Am I the only one who has grown accustomed to, and fallen in love with the driving in this game? I love the way you can powerslide ever so smoothly in the right vehicles, the way you can land jumps perfectly (on the rear wheels) and keep your momentum going, and the way you can traverse all types of terrain at high speeds.

The transporter missions are... alright. I think I have two of the "pro" times beat... but honestly I don't care about them. What I would really LOVE LOVE LOVE to see (perhaps DLC#2?) would be a fully fleshed out racing setup.

I'm talking 8 player online (or offline w/bots) races in speedways, along checkpoints through the open world, demolition derbies, rally racing, "motocross" style tracks, etc etc etc...

I know I sound like a giddy schoolgirl typing this up... but I am too excited at the prospect of racing in this game with it's physics driven world... so please excuse any idiocy on my part.

What do YOU think? I want to know if I truly am going insane or if this is a viable idea, to know if anyone else would love to see this implemented in our beloved Guerilla.

/grabs another beer
    sealog444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By sealog444

I think the racing idea isnt a bad idea, but its not that great either.  GTA IV had some great driving modes that could in theory work well in this game, but I also felt the driving was alot tighter in GTA IV.  Straight up racing I think would be a mistake, as I didnt feel the driving was that special, its the phyiscs that make the game, but having a demolition derby would be really cool, or like a 2 man team racing against other 2 man teams, one gunner one driver, either trying to destroy each other, or do building damage, something along those lines.  The other problem with straight up racing is that while it is an open world game, the maps are much more channeled than GTA IV was.  In GTA the only real choke points where bridges between island, but almost the whole island was open.  Mars is much more channeled, while mountains and pits limiting your field of play much more.

That being said, I loved the game and would love to see Voalition try and make something, becuase it has the potential to be great.

SketchyBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By SketchyBrown
    @sealog444 said:
    " Straight up racing I think would be a mistake, as I didnt feel the driving was that special, its the phyiscs that make the game..."
    I think this will be a big dividing point between fans of the game... I know for maybe the first 2/3 of the game I really didn't find anything special about the driving. As I gained more experience with the vehicle physics I began to enjoy them more and more. It almost reminds me of the stadium truck racing in DiRT.

That being said - I do like your idea of a 2v2 (or maybe a 2v2v2v2v2) race, with each vehicle having a driver and a gunner. Twisted Metal brought to a whole new level : )
    JDDrewes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By JDDrewes

I honestly didn't like the driving all that much in this game. Maybe that's just because I'm not good at racing games in general but the vehicles seemed kind of clunky.

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Icil

I'm glad you're loving the driving. Personally, if they doubled the number of different vehicles (more normal passenger cars, please) it would be amazing. The physics adds to the experience, as you said. I hit a giant cliff once and unintentionally dive-bombed my car straight into the roof of a building, then drove out of the third floor window with EDF all over my ass. Beautiful game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.