Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Faction: Guerrilla

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Jun 02, 2009

After the death of his brother at the hands of a corrupt Earth government, Alec Mason has no choice but to join the Red Faction terrorist cell and fight to free Mars from Earth oppression.

"Write About This Game We're Promoting And We'll Let You Play It Early"

• 170 results
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    I'm not too sure if this sort of thing happens too often, since we're usually not on the kinds of mailing lists that get hit with this sort of offer, but hey, let's not beat around the bush: Giant Bomb isn't the largest site for video games on the Internet... yet. Maybe we just need to get a little more "word of mouth" going, right? Maybe we need to "take it viral." Or maybe we just need to keep doing our thing and, as we become more entrenched in your hearts and in your minds, we'll become a more frequent part of the daily lives of game players around the world. OK, I'm getting off topic before I've even told you what the topic actually is... sorry.

As I understand it, there are a lot of non-commercial game sites out there that don't typically receive too much attention from the game publishers of the world. The concept of receiving review copies ahead of retail release is something of a rarity for these outlets. But since they provide a useful, community-like voice, sometimes publishers hire smaller marketing firms to reach out to these outlets, either overtly with direct contact, or covertly by posting HEY MAN YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT THIS GAME on the site's message boards or comments.

It's the overt contact that proves to be a dangerous test for the folks that run these community sites. Will they pass the test and get ahold of a reviewable disc or other asset without bending over backwards and doing something they wouldn't normally do? Or does the lure of free games become so enticing that they're say anything to keep them coming in? It reminds me of a story from a few years back, where a PC game publisher provided a few of these sites with brand new video cards "just to make sure the game was reviewed on proper hardware." It's a fine line, but as a rule of thumb, if it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.

We received this e-mail today from an external promotions firm (meaning not THQ directly) that effectively says "if you write about this trailer we posted, we will let you into a closed beta for the game." This is, for starters, poor bait. Considering the main idea is to get people excited about the release of said game, shouldn't you be letting in as many credible journalist-types as possible?

Before I get too much further ahead of myself, here's the e-mail:

Hey Jeff,

[REDACTED] here with a great exclusive for your site! We’re working with THQ on the FPS Red Faction: Guerilla (PS3, X360, PC). As a valued member of our network, we would like to invite you to an exclusive closed multiplayer beta tourney and share your initial thoughts. Red Faction releases on June 9th.

To get in to the closed multiplayer beta, all you have to do is write up a post and feature the teaser spot below on your site and send me the link. The closed beta tourney will occur on May 1st.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCrfNArzx68

Looking forward to seeing what you think of the game!

So here's the proposed timeline of events:

1. Outlet writes about trailer (which I'm sort of bummed to be doing here in the first place, I feel like I've already lost this battle)
    2. Outlet gets download code for multiplayer Red Faction beta (which, unless they're releasing a newer version, I'm pretty sure I've had since late last year)
    3. Outlet participates in tournament, writes about game again.

Kind of funky. We often get e-mails and PMs from people looking for advice on how to get into our line of work. So here's my advice: if the lure of getting to play something before someone else or perhaps getting something for free is the sole reason you want to write about games, you've already lost, and you're destined to be swayed by the possibility of getting something for free. This means that the first time you give a game a negative review, the company will threaten to cut you off from the games, and you'll probably cave and retract the review.

But, really, the big loser here is THQ. Why? Because Red Faction: Guerrilla is a game that deserves better than this trailer that this external promotion company is trying to get us to... promote. Seriously, check out this totally busted trailer with audio that's around 12 seconds out of sync.

I know, right? On top of that it's got a description of "red faction guerilla ps3 rocks just like fallout mi rite or mi rite" on YouTube. Quality material, all you people at the promotion company! Corner offices for all.

[UPDATE] THQ got in touch with us about this story. While THQ does work with the promotions company involved with this stuff, a company spokesperson for THQ stated that it never approved this specific campaign. Considering the game's multiplayer beta launched on Xbox 360 last year and the awful quality of that trailer, I'm inclined to believe them.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
    I'm not too sure if this sort of thing happens too often, since we're usually not on the kinds of mailing lists that get hit with this sort of offer, but hey, let's not beat around the bush: Giant Bomb isn't the largest site for video games on the Internet... yet. Maybe we just need to get a little more "word of mouth" going, right? Maybe we need to "take it viral." Or maybe we just need to keep doing our thing and, as we become more entrenched in your hearts and in your minds, we'll become a more frequent part of the daily lives of game players around the world. OK, I'm getting off topic before I've even told you what the topic actually is... sorry.

As I understand it, there are a lot of non-commercial game sites out there that don't typically receive too much attention from the game publishers of the world. The concept of receiving review copies ahead of retail release is something of a rarity for these outlets. But since they provide a useful, community-like voice, sometimes publishers hire smaller marketing firms to reach out to these outlets, either overtly with direct contact, or covertly by posting HEY MAN YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT THIS GAME on the site's message boards or comments.

It's the overt contact that proves to be a dangerous test for the folks that run these community sites. Will they pass the test and get ahold of a reviewable disc or other asset without bending over backwards and doing something they wouldn't normally do? Or does the lure of free games become so enticing that they're say anything to keep them coming in? It reminds me of a story from a few years back, where a PC game publisher provided a few of these sites with brand new video cards "just to make sure the game was reviewed on proper hardware." It's a fine line, but as a rule of thumb, if it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.

We received this e-mail today from an external promotions firm (meaning not THQ directly) that effectively says "if you write about this trailer we posted, we will let you into a closed beta for the game." This is, for starters, poor bait. Considering the main idea is to get people excited about the release of said game, shouldn't you be letting in as many credible journalist-types as possible?

Before I get too much further ahead of myself, here's the e-mail:

Hey Jeff,

[REDACTED] here with a great exclusive for your site! We’re working with THQ on the FPS Red Faction: Guerilla (PS3, X360, PC). As a valued member of our network, we would like to invite you to an exclusive closed multiplayer beta tourney and share your initial thoughts. Red Faction releases on June 9th.

To get in to the closed multiplayer beta, all you have to do is write up a post and feature the teaser spot below on your site and send me the link. The closed beta tourney will occur on May 1st.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCrfNArzx68

Looking forward to seeing what you think of the game!

So here's the proposed timeline of events:

1. Outlet writes about trailer (which I'm sort of bummed to be doing here in the first place, I feel like I've already lost this battle)
    2. Outlet gets download code for multiplayer Red Faction beta (which, unless they're releasing a newer version, I'm pretty sure I've had since late last year)
    3. Outlet participates in tournament, writes about game again.

Kind of funky. We often get e-mails and PMs from people looking for advice on how to get into our line of work. So here's my advice: if the lure of getting to play something before someone else or perhaps getting something for free is the sole reason you want to write about games, you've already lost, and you're destined to be swayed by the possibility of getting something for free. This means that the first time you give a game a negative review, the company will threaten to cut you off from the games, and you'll probably cave and retract the review.

But, really, the big loser here is THQ. Why? Because Red Faction: Guerrilla is a game that deserves better than this trailer that this external promotion company is trying to get us to... promote. Seriously, check out this totally busted trailer with audio that's around 12 seconds out of sync.

I know, right? On top of that it's got a description of "red faction guerilla ps3 rocks just like fallout mi rite or mi rite" on YouTube. Quality material, all you people at the promotion company! Corner offices for all.

[UPDATE] THQ got in touch with us about this story. While THQ does work with the promotions company involved with this stuff, a company spokesperson for THQ stated that it never approved this specific campaign. Considering the game's multiplayer beta launched on Xbox 360 last year and the awful quality of that trailer, I'm inclined to believe them.
    GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By GioVANNI

Wow...

Lifestrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Lifestrike

Many journalists leave Dagobah before they are steeled against the Dark Side.

Unprepared, they are easy targets for large-scale publishers...

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By StarFoxA

Wow, that is just about as low as promoting a game can go.

Moridin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Moridin

I wonder if you emailed this to them, if they'd still let you in the beta. You're basically doing what they asked, just with attitude!

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cloneslayer

Sad, tisk, tisk, tisk marketing company!

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By gunslingerNZ

That's got dodgy written all over it. Good to see you still hold to your code of ethics Jeff ;)

rargy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#8  Edited By rargy

I don't know what you're talking about.  Looks totally legit to me.

Flikery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Flikery

*Tips his cap to Jeff* Well played, sir.

carolynp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By carolynp

HEY GUYS DONT LISTEN TO THEM YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT RED FACTION THIS GAME WILL PWN MI RITE OR MI RITE

jonnyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By jonnyp

I've got a great exclusive for you site!! </usedcarsalesmanvoice>

ZettaSlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ZettaSlow

This is why you don't do viral marketing.  When it gets out, you lose hard.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By JJOR64

Lmfao, the video only has 1 star.

Doobit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Doobit

Worst. Trailer. Ever!

Zuul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Zuul

Ha

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By JoelTGM

I like free stuff though.  If they still send you a beta code, can I have it.

brydello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By brydello

Pathetic.

Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By Cathryn

Pathetic and icky D:

JoblessTerence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JoblessTerence

Almost as pathetic as "the incident."

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By mike

I see what you did there.  I guess technically you did do what the dude asked. 

Zounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Zounds

And this is one of the reasons why I like this site. 

Timothy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Timothy

That's pretty gross. I was actually just listening to an old GFW Radio from 2006, and they were talking about this very same thing happening to them.

tak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By tak

Jeff, did you send him the link to your article and get the beta code? You did write about the trailer.

:D

HartKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HartKnight

That trailer has a bunch of shitty stock footage which doesn't get me excited in the least.

icoangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By icoangel

LAME!

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By hatking

Makes me think it was some joker trying to get their stupid YouTube video some hits.  Seriously I couldn't see any legitimate company of any sort, be it video game devolopers, producers or advertisers making something this poor and then trying to get it out for the public.  No joke, I could make a far superior trailer in about one hour with only the video that they've released online. 

zymase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27  Edited By zymase

Best part of the trailer is the juxtaposition of the Kingdome demolition with a nuclear detonation.  Free-association "blowing shit up" statement, or just a lazy collage from the Library of Congress archives?

Fritzerbacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Fritzerbacon

Thank you for the major heads up, sir. Thank you very much.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29  Edited By aurahack

"Quality material, all you people at the promotion company! Corner offices for all."

Brilliant.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By HadesTimes

I played the beta, not too fun.  Maybe they have upgraded it since.  Anyway, it seems that PR is getting pretty desperate.  Wouldn't it have been easier to recruit a bunch of fans to something like this?  They would have gone nuts.

JJRage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 30

#31  Edited By JJRage

Bah, who needs integrity anyway. FREE SHIT.

GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By GioVANNI
    DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DoctorTran

So... you send the link yet?

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Relys

Satire?

Are you sure this is from the company... I have the strangest feeling you've all just been trolled.

bumbletoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By bumbletoes

......Yeah I tried but....I got nothin' for this one

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#37  Edited By MeatSim

Poorly edited fan video is your big promotion for this game, that's no good at all.

stephengotlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By stephengotlost

I think it was "Take your kids to work day" and the publicist's kid took over his shift.

lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By lamegame621

Well played, Jeff.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

What was that supposed to show.

coldmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By coldmilk

All I want for Xmas is a PSP

GHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By GHT

at this point, does anyone still care about the Red Faction name?

redskineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By redskineer

explains why crummy games get good reviews.....poor little tink tink....

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Cheapoz

Did you get in the beta?

Lassegp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Lassegp

Jeff + Giantbomb> This is the reason why this is my starter page and why you guys are the coolest and best gamesite 4 me!

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By TomA

Wow,that really is stupid.You should have just not posted about it at all,cause that's a terrible way for THQ to promote a game.But at least you put in your thoughts on it,so i hope this doesnt sell any copies of Red Faction Guerilla for them.

SpikeDelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SpikeDelight

The best part of this YouTube video is the fact that the author's name is JorgeCostanza11

Foxdemon2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Foxdemon2k

haha :)

Steven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Steven

Woah, awesome article.  I'm thankful for your commitment to integrity and being principled.

taco484

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#50  Edited By taco484

haha, I dont even understand... this is so shady and weird... like when you get ads fro V1@gra in your e-mail.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.