Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Faction

Franchise »

Civilization on Mars is oppressed and its up to the Red Faction Rebellion to fight back. Red Faction is a unique sci-fi shooter series known for its "GeoMod" technology, which allows for extensive environmental destructibility.

With Poor Sales for Armageddon, THQ Phasing Out Red Faction

Maotou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#251  Edited By Maotou

Didn't see this one coming. How the heck can they just kill off a franchise just after one flop? DMC found itself in this same position and came back swinging in the third installment much to everyone's surprise. If they can just take what made the first game great and build upon that, then it could be something amazing. Maybe they'll consider bringing this back up at a later date, but I'm not going to place any bets on that happening (sad as that thought is). 

hmmisee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#252  Edited By hmmisee

I liked Armageddon, i do note the criticsm but in the end i thought it was a pretty good game. Such a shame to let a great series die.

StriderJ8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#253  Edited By StriderJ8

Seriously bummed by this news. I loved the first one, loved Guerrilla, and even enjoyed Armageddon quite a bit. I guess I'm one of their niche dudes. Really wish the series was continuing but I guess it's not meant to be.

Thompson820

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#254  Edited By Thompson820

@Valru said:

In today's hit-driven market, making a game that plays nothing like the popular game it is following up leads to failure.

Who would have known?

All of this comment is excellent.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@ShaneDev said:

@SeriouslyNow: Well early word of mouth doesn't help sales since any commotion at all gets pick up on. Saints Row 2 on PC is a mess but you can fix it. And I have no idea why people don't like Red Faction 2 since the first game wasn't all that amazing. I'll tell what I think anyway. Red Faction 2 actually has a story and things happen, it does look better, the gameplay and action is actually fun. Red Faction 2 is linear but fun. The Geo Mod stuff is actually used in a way that makes it feel like your destroying stuff. Red Faction 1 is just a long series of really boring tunnels with continual encounters with the same enemies who keep shouting "Miner!" over and over again. Red Faction 1 is just as linear as 2 but much more boring. The story is so bad with the game just starting and ending so abruptly I wondered why they even had a story. Parker is just hilariously stupid from start to finish. The Geo Mod stuff in the game amounts to a few parts were you can sometimes, maybe, almost do something useful with it but there is really no point. Its all designed in such a way that anywhere you can use it, its also pointless to use it.

Saints Row 2 on PC was a mess on AMD CPUs and ATI GPUs. Notice a pattern at all? Both games do share the same engine.

Red Faction 2 is a lot more linear than 1. By an order of magnitude.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256  Edited By ShaneDev
    @SeriouslyNow: I do notice a pattern that's why I said it.  Saints Row 2 on PC not only suffers from the stupid speed up problem it also suffers from all sorts of shitty performance issues. Both Saints Row and Guerrilla were made by a porting company and I would have recommended neither be bought on the PC unless THQ got someone to fix the problems and they never did. 

This little discussion has shown me that you do not know what the word linear means which is kinda funny.
    GrandMarshal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#257  Edited By GrandMarshal

A flop can be damning for THQ but not if your Epic games they just shrug it off

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@ShaneDev said:

@SeriouslyNow: I do notice a pattern that's why I said it. Saints Row 2 on PC not only suffers from the stupid speed up problem it also suffers from all sorts of shitty performance issues. Both Saints Row and Guerrilla were made by a porting company and I would have recommended neither be bought on the PC unless THQ got someone to fix the problems and they never did. This little discussion has shown me that you do not know what the word linear means which is kinda funny.

Sorry, I was referring to "onrails bullshit turd polished as sequel" when I used the word linear. Nobody in their right mind thinks Red Faction 2 is better than Red Faction 1.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259  Edited By ShaneDev
    @SeriouslyNow: Well we have our differences but its good to see your sorry, I suggest in future you learn the meaning of words before you try using them.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@ShaneDev said:

@SeriouslyNow: Well we have our differences but its good to see your sorry, I suggest in future you learn the meaning of words before you try using them.

"you're"

I won't bother suggesting a spell checker eh?

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261  Edited By ShaneDev
    @SeriouslyNow: So now you're down to spelling mistakes? If you have to stoop that low to get a dig at me you should just give up.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262  Edited By TwoOneFive

They didn't even advertise that game. It's a real shame. But in all honesty, it just doesn't have a lot of appeal. 

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#263  Edited By WickedCobra03

@TromboneTony said:

So depressing how quickly developers will throw out a franchise these days.

That, and another thing that they might not want to do is whore out their franchise after 1 mildly recent hit. I really liked the first 2 Red Factions on the PC, and then bought Red Faction: Guerilla, but I don't feel like it is a known quantity outside of the hardcore gaming world.

zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#264  Edited By zeus_gb

It didn't sell because it was crap, they took everything from the last game that made it good and removed it.  It's a real shame they just killed it off like that!

ScumAndVelliny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#265  Edited By ScumAndVelliny

Armageddon is a lot better than its critical reception indicates. I was hesitant to rent it based on the review of this, and many other, sites, but i enjoyed it. The magnet gun is as fun as anything in Guerrilla.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#266  Edited By MeatSim

Should have kept it as a open world sandbox game and not make it in to a linear game.

JustinAquarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#267  Edited By JustinAquarius

RF:G was a good game. When I saw how shitty, condensed and boring RF:A looked, I knew the series was over.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#268  Edited By Getz

Guerrilla was the only Red Faction I've liked so far; I'm wiling to let this franchise die.

redlitez76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#269  Edited By redlitez76

thq was wanting red faction to be there go to expandable series, they just  didnt  have the right ideas. red faction a was a 3rd person hallway shooter, then the crappy road warrior racing down load title.  it was doomed. violation needs to makes another punisher game that was there best game ever.

or get  busy on a sphinx and the cursed mummy remake.

aspaceinvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270  Edited By aspaceinvader

I hope volition make another freespace series or at least something like it.

wapostyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#271  Edited By wapostyle

Guerrilla was awesome. This one failed because they took away everything that made the last game fun and turned it into Gears of Faction.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.