Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Sep 13, 2011

Heroes of Stalingrad is Tripwire's new sequel to Red Orchestra. This time around the sequel takes full advantage of the Unreal 3 engine.

Finally, something different than COD.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By JoelTGM

I heard about this game a long time ago, but it's WW2 so I just ignored it, but recently I've been bored of the COD style of shooter, so I actually started checking this game out.  The developers are very attentive, I mean they even joined my bro and his clan some months ago in vent or whatever chat they use nowadays, and talked about the game and asked for suggestions.  I decided to try the first Red Orchestra for $10 on Steam, and man this game is really different and fun.  Basically, I got tired of the same old................ match starts, you hold sprint button, run towards red dots on minimap, get killed by random grenade, shout at your team mates, and repeat until you either own the game or rage quit.   The Red Orchestra series is a much slower paced style of shooter; you actually have time to think about what you're doing.   

Overall the feeling I got from playing the first RO reminded me of playing paintball out in the woods with my buddies, or some of the battles in Band of Brothers.
    For example, earlier today we were in this snowy area, outnumbered, trying to defend three bunkers... the allies slowly crept up on us... I see someone coming towards me, I take aim, but he yells out "friendly fire!" and I realize he's a team mate...that was a close one.  We run to the center bunker, and he spots a small tank and tries to destroy it with his panzerfaust, but he gets shot by a rifleman.  I'm out of breath from sprinting but I take aim anyway and nail the guy with my first shot.  Everything is shaking and blurring from the tank fire at this moment, so I grab the panzerfaust from my dead buddy, and having never fired it before I take aim and am amazed to see my shot destroy the tank in a ball of fire.  I reload it and take out another small armored vehicle.  Then as I run to the door, someone opens it from the other side, I attempt to fire but I realize I forgot to pull the bolt back and load in a new round, so I try to melee the guy but he quickly shoots me from the hip with his rifle and drops me hard.  We played that match for a while, and man was it fun.  That's just the first RO though... and while it looks fine with full anti-aliasing, I don't expect folks to find it very appealing, so I'd recommend on waiting for RO 2 which comes out this year.  I can't wait to play it, and the fact that it's WW2 is actually pretty cool to me now.  It's like where shooters would have gone if COD didn't take over. 

Here's a preview IGN just posted, explaining many of the details of what makes RO 2 stand out.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Three0neFive

Makes me happy that RO is finally getting some recognition.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.