Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Steel 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 23, 2010

The sequel to the critically panned Nintendo Wii launch title, grab your sword and gun and hunt down gang members in the futuristic wild west.

Has this been posted yet? (MotionPlus showcase)

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Meowayne

I don't know how old or new this video is, but browsing through the Red Steel 2 forum, I don't think it has been posted yet. Based on the moves and the changed hit indicators, this is from the latest build we were shown footage from (much later than the E3 footage).

It shows off the capabilities and limitations of MotionPlus quite well, so it might be a little disappointing (maybe?) for people who have not played Wii Sports Resort and have not yet experienced how the thing works.  (i.e. reliable gyrometers, but not 1:1 space awareness)

Some nice implementation of the 1:1 rotational motion detection, and a very nice use of reliable gesture input. They seemed to have upped the 1:1 influenced arm animations, and I don't think the E3 build had sword thrusting in it. 

Still not conviced about the actual game because it STILL looks like 99% of the game is "Killing enemies in town squares", but the sword/gun gamepay looks wicked. A few months ago I complained that they used a lot of button input for some of the moves where they could have used gestures (NOT "1:1"!). It seems they have changed just that.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Meowayne

Fancy gif images for cool internet people: 

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Griddler

Iz thar couch hidin?

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By TwoOneFive

meh. for games like this, im actually looking forward to see what the playstation "arc" can do.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Meowayne

for games like this, im actually looking forward to see what the playstation "arc" can do.  

Me too, considering there is no such thing as an analogue stick attachment for the Arc.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By ProfessorEss

Fool me once...

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Meowayne
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " Fool me once... "
    Are you serious? RS2 is as far from the first  game as any other. Different setting, different team, different hardware (MotionPlus), different art, different engine, four million times the production time, budget and polish. It only builds on a game that sold quite well and is a known IP. 

As I said, Red Steel 2 might be pretty average and disappointing, but not because of the things that made the first game bad (controls, technical side, obviously unfinished).
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Meowayne said:

" @ProfessorEss said:

" Fool me once... "

Are you serious? RS2 is as far from the first  game as any other. Different setting, different team, different hardware (MotionPlus), different art, different engine, four million times the production time, budget and polish. It only builds on a game that sold quite well and is a known IP.   As I said, Red Steel 2 might be pretty average and disappointing, but not because of the things that made the first game bad (controls, technical side, obviously unfinished). "
    Doesn't matter.  The first one did the same thing this one is doing -  blowing people's minds in preview videos.
    I'm not sayin it's not gonna be good, I'm just sayin that the first one looked pretty good in preview videos too. 
    Funny how, just like the original, the coolest looking part of the video is the "watch me tilt my sword around".

We'll see, but until then Red Steel has in no way earned any of my trust and will be a "see-to-believe" title.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Meowayne

Fair enough. Then we're not too different in our anticipation for this game. They are very proud of and confident in the combat mechanics and graphics engine and from what I've seen, read, and seen played so far, they should be - but I am yet to be impressed by the actual content, progression and level design of the game. 
    What is it you do in Red Steel 2, I wonder, other than hit dudes with a sword? The available footage and information, all of it, talks exclusively about combat, controls, art direction and enemy types. 

Surely it can't be a glorified Serious Sam?

Surely?

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Meowayne

The Bearded One talks about "beating the waggle":

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By cstrang
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " Both these have already been posted.  The second video is all confirmation I need about the poor Paris team at Ubisoft. I'm sure that dude with the beard is the reason for their rampant drug use and terrible ideas.  "

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.