Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Steel 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 23, 2010

The sequel to the critically panned Nintendo Wii launch title, grab your sword and gun and hunt down gang members in the futuristic wild west.

Okay . . . Western?

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Black_Rose

This sucks...the Japanese feel was the best part of the first one...maybe they'll do some sort of Japanese-Western crossover or something, I'd like to see how that works.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Lies
    sidescroller said:
    "Black_Rose said:
    "This sucks...the Japanese feel was the best part of the first one...maybe they'll do some sort of Japanese-Western crossover or something, I'd like to see how that works."
    You mean like this?"
    I must have this game.
    Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Black_Rose
    sidescroller said:
    "Black_Rose said:
    "This sucks...the Japanese feel was the best part of the first one...maybe they'll do some sort of Japanese-Western crossover or something, I'd like to see how that works."
    You mean like this?"
    That...

looks fucking awesome!!!
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Okay, here's a link to GoNintendo, with bulletpoints about the game.

It's pretty much official. This game isn't an FPS. It's a first person adventure game with a not-quite-linear-yet-not-quite-open world, with RPG elements. If this game is a critical success, it may become one of the most promising new IPs from this generation. They don't have much competition, really. Elder Scrolls is pretty much the only first-person adventure RPG around.

God, I hope it works right. This could be the best game on Wii, as it definitely has all the right assets.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By jakob187
    Black_Rose said:
    "sidescroller said:
    "Black_Rose said:
    You mean like this?"
    That...looks fucking awesome!!!"
    That was a part of the Way of the Samurai series, if I'm not mistaken.  I was a fan of the series (WotS 2 in particular), and this one wasn't too shabby.  Nonetheless, the games also weren't *ahem* incredible.  They were very much indie games.

Then again...I'm still pissed that America hasn't gotten Way of the Samurai 3.  =  /  Hopefully, we'll hear something promising out of E3.  = D

As for Red Steel 2 - look, as far as anything is concerned, shitting on a plate would be better than the first game at this point.  They need to do some drastic changes on the franchise.  Offering up a Western setting ala Sukiyaki Western Django would be fucking sweet.  Nonetheless, if the gameplay isn't compelling enough and the controls aren't properly implemented, then I'm going to be uber-bummed.  I would love a long game with depth, but I'm not holding my breath.

Now...I need to find a copy of Way of the Samurai 2 somewhere!!!
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    jakob187 said:
    "Black_Rose said:
    "sidescroller said:
    "Black_Rose said:
    You mean like this?"
    That...looks fucking awesome!!!"
    That was a part of the Way of the Samurai series, if I'm not mistaken.  I was a fan of the series (WotS 2 in particular), and this one wasn't too shabby.  Nonetheless, the games also weren't *ahem* incredible.  They were very much indie games.

Then again...I'm still pissed that America hasn't gotten Way of the Samurai 3.  =  /  Hopefully, we'll hear something promising out of E3.  = D

As for Red Steel 2 - look, as far as anything is concerned, shitting on a plate would be better than the first game at this point.  They need to do some drastic changes on the franchise.  Offering up a Western setting ala Sukiyaki Western Django would be fucking sweet.  Nonetheless, if the gameplay isn't compelling enough and the controls aren't properly implemented, then I'm going to be uber-bummed.  I would love a long game with depth, but I'm not holding my breath.

Now...I need to find a copy of Way of the Samurai 2 somewhere!!!
    "
    I haz Way of the Samurai 2.

Also, yeah. They needed to change a lot. And they did. The game barely has anyhing in common with the original.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By jakob187
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "I haz Way of the Samurai 2.

Also, yeah. They needed to change a lot. And they did. The game barely has anyhing in common with the original."
    Where you live again?  Don't worry.  I won't break any windows trying to steal the game...

They changed a lot, eh?  That makes me more confident.  -_-  Seriously, Red Steel had good ideas...but they were just poorly implemented.  If they would just make the sword mechanic not so...clunky...and the shooting in the game a bit more...worthwhile and enjoyable...then that would've been good.  Better AI would've helped as well.  The set pieces were pretty damn awesome, as the one thing I remember about that entire game was every single level.

Either way, between Red Dead Redemption and Red Steel 2 getting the Western genre back up and running...
    ...maybe we'll hear Activision Blizzard drop "Gun 2" at E3 this year?!  THAT WOULD ROCK MY FUCKING SOCKS OFF!!!
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    jakob187 said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "I haz Way of the Samurai 2.

Also, yeah. They needed to change a lot. And they did. The game barely has anyhing in common with the original."
    Where you live again?  Don't worry.  I won't break any windows trying to steal the game...

They changed a lot, eh?  That makes me more confident.  -_-  Seriously, Red Steel had good ideas...but they were just poorly implemented.  If they would just make the sword mechanic not so...clunky...and the shooting in the game a bit more...worthwhile and enjoyable...then that would've been good.  Better AI would've helped as well.  The set pieces were pretty damn awesome, as the one thing I remember about that entire game was every single level.

Either way, between Red Dead Redemption and Red Steel 2 getting the Western genre back up and running...
    ...maybe we'll hear Activision Blizzard drop "Gun 2" at E3 this year?!  THAT WOULD ROCK MY FUCKING SOCKS OFF!!!
    "
    AWWWWWWWW, SHIEEEEEE!

I forgot about Red Dead Redemption. You make me happy now.
    Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Systech

Everyone thought that the first Red Steel was going to be awesome. It looks much better, but I'm still skeptical.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11  Edited By HandsomeDead

The first game was terrible, but if they can do it well as a Western, I can dig it. As a genre that's totally untapped, this could be something good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.