Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Steel 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 23, 2010

The sequel to the critically panned Nintendo Wii launch title, grab your sword and gun and hunt down gang members in the futuristic wild west.

Red Steel 2 Aug 19th Media

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Al3xand3r

That Ninja teaser video was hinting at a revelation for today, here's what came of it.

Video:

Screenshots:

Some extra screenshots on top of these (but not many) and a (very) slightly better quality video can be seen on its website.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By Linkyshinks

Those regular NPC's look really dull, I hate watching enemies waiting around while you slash away at their fellow foes, it's lame in any game, You should be getting slashed constantly if your badly positioned. There should be more enemies on screen to provide more a challenge also, having that would require good movement as well as pressing a button to block.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Drebin_893

I like the look of this game. I think it looks great.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Meowayne

I wonder if there'll be anything to Red Steel 2 other than walking around opening doors and killing stuff. The swordplay looks great*, but I don't think it can carry the entire game.

* I understand the finishing moves cannot be done using the slash detection, but they could have at least made them gesture based like MadWorld did it (which was fantastic).Oh well.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Al3xand3r

A new character (boss?) trailer, it shows glimpses of some pretty cool scenes.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Scooper

Graphically is looks interesting but it's almost impossible to get too hyped for this game given the huge dissapointment of the first game.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Al3xand3r

The TGS video shows a fight with Payne. He seems to have abilities comparable to the player character, + goons to call for their help.

The embed isn't of great quality, oh well. I would have made a new thread but it doesn't show too much, might as well have it all together.

Some new screens from previously seen areas, via gamesradar's preview.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Al3xand3r
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By CL60

I'll have to wait and see judging by how I felt about the first one.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#11  Edited By AgentJ

Does anyone else get a Borderlands vibe from the look of the game?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#12  Edited By Hailinel

Looks promising.  I liked the concept behind the original game, but the execution was lacking.  Had Ubisoft not rushed it for the Wii launch, another six months of polish or so could have done wonders for it.  Hopefully the lack of that sort of rush will help make Red Steel 2 live more up to its potential.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @AgentJ said:

" Does anyone else get a Borderlands vibe from the look of the game? "

Yep, I said it before, I even think the art is actually much more accomplished in this game, whereas in borderlands the majority of the content to me still shows that it was initially created with a gritty realism look, and the style change is only up to the pixel shader effects added on top of that (aside from the main character models etc which did get an overhaul to match the new style, but not much else did it seems). Oh, this was first ;)
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#14  Edited By AgentJ
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " @AgentJ said:

" Does anyone else get a Borderlands vibe from the look of the game? "

Yep, I said it before, I even think the art is actually much more accomplished in this game, whereas in borderlands the majority of the content to me still shows that it was initially created with a gritty realism look, and the style change is only up to the pixel shader effects added on top of that (aside from the main character models etc which did get an overhaul to match the new style, but not much else did it seems). Oh, this was first ;) "
    Holy Crap Alexander, you actually used the quote function!!
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Al3xand3r

Some new details from Famitsu via siliconera.

- In terms of content, the game is 95% complete. If you take debugging into account, it’s at about 90%.

- The new cel-shaded art style was a decision made to suit Wii MotionPlus integration.

– Movies like Akira Kurosawa’s Seven Samurai and Kim Ji-woon’s The Good, the Bad, the Weird were used as sources of inspiration.

- You’ll be able to dual-wield guns in the game at some point. This seems to be part of the additional moves you can acquire (using money) as you progress through the game.

- There are about 40 different types of enemies in the game in total, including bosses, spanning across three different clans.

- When the Famitsu editor asked how they came up with the Japanese names for the clans, the team replied they used Google. They were actually looking for words which didn’t mean anything in particular but Famitsu’s editor pointed out to them that "Kusagari" — one of the clans – works since “kusa” (literally “grass”) was once used for ninja.  Lucky for them it fits. "Katakara," on the other hand, doesn’t mean anything.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Al3xand3r
    ESRB said:

Platform: Wii
    Rating: Teen
    Content descriptors: Animated Blood, Mild Language, Mild Suggestive Themes, Violence
    Rating summary:
    In this first-person sword-fighting game, players control a banished hero, a seasoned cowboy-samurai who returns to his town taken over by villains. Players must rid the town of thugs, scavengers, and flying robots while discovering the fate of the Kusagari clan. Players kill enemies by shooting them with a pistol or shotgun, and by slashing or stabbing them with a katana blade. While there is no blood and gore in the game (enemies stagger back instead of gushing apart), the frenetic sword slashing sometimes results in yellow-and-beige splash effects that flit across the screen. Another brief splash is depicted when the katana is pulled out of an enemy's chest. During the course of the game, a female character with exaggerated-size breasts wears a low-cut shirt that exposes deep cleavage; the character's breasts jiggle slightly during cutscenes (there are no comparable physics applied to male characters). The expletives "bada*s," "punk-a*s," and "dammit" can be heard in the dialogue. Overall, the game's highly stylized cell-shaded graphics blunt the sense of realism, increasing the fantastical nature of battle sequences; in some ways, the graphic-novel art style (skinned with hand-drawn-like textures) lessens the impact of the violence—though the game is still considered a high-end Teen.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.