Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Relic Entertainment

Company »

Based in Vancouver, Relic Entertainment are the developers behind RTS hits including the Homeworld, Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War and Company of Heroes series. After nearly 10 years with THQ, in 2013 Relic was acquired by Sega.

Seems Relic’s Expanding Its Free-to-Play Plans

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    Company of Heroes Online represented Relic and dipping its toes into free-to-play.
    Company of Heroes Online represented Relic and dipping its toes into free-to-play.

As free-to-play becomes more prevalent, it won’t be surprising to see some top-tier developers exploring what might be possible with it. RTS developer Relic Entertainment may be the latest to tinker with the evolving business model, according to some new job posts.

The Company of Heroes and Warhammer 40K developer is looking for a creative director, executive producer, and senior designer to help with one, if not more, free-to-play games within Relic.

Here’s an excerpt from the executive producer listing:

“The Executive Producer is the creative and business visionary, as well as, the ambassador for Relic’s Free-to-Play (FTP) products, ensuring long term critical and commercial success. The Executive Producer is responsible for growing and bringing successful products to market that deliver on the long term Studio goals.”

And here’s some of what Relic would be expecting from a potential senior designer:

• Design progression and monetization systems
    • Writes design documents and develops prototypes at a level that meets and exceeds direction by leads
    • Plan necessary real-time feedback and metrics systems, interpret resultant data, and adjust game designs accordingly

Technically, Relic has already experimented with free-to-play in the past with Company of Heroes Online. Even though Company of Heroes Online was first aimed at Asia, it was eventually released here in North America in fall 2010. Relic actually developed those versions of the game, too. That one surprised me.

Thanks to Giant Bomb user Seedofpower for the heads up.

Also, I neglected to get a Homeworld reference somewhere in this story, so I'm just sticking it at the bottom.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

As free-to-play becomes more prevalent, it won’t be surprising to see some top-tier developers exploring what might be possible with it. RTS developer Relic Entertainment may be the latest to tinker with the evolving business model, according to some new job posts.

The Company of Heroes and Warhammer 40K developer is looking for a creative director, executive producer, and senior designer to help with one, if not more, free-to-play games within Relic.

Here’s an excerpt from the executive producer listing:

“The Executive Producer is the creative and business visionary, as well as, the ambassador for Relic’s Free-to-Play (FTP) products, ensuring long term critical and commercial success. The Executive Producer is responsible for growing and bringing successful products to market that deliver on the long term Studio goals.”

And here’s some of what Relic would be expecting from a potential senior designer:

• Design progression and monetization systems
    • Writes design documents and develops prototypes at a level that meets and exceeds direction by leads
    • Plan necessary real-time feedback and metrics systems, interpret resultant data, and adjust game designs accordingly

Technically, Relic has already experimented with free-to-play in the past with Company of Heroes Online. Even though Company of Heroes Online was first aimed at Asia, it was eventually released here in North America in fall 2010. Relic actually developed those versions of the game, too. That one surprised me.

Thanks to Giant Bomb user Seedofpower for the heads up.

Also, I neglected to get a Homeworld reference somewhere in this story, so I'm just sticking it at the bottom.

Roxxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Roxxy

God Damnit just make Homeworld 3 already

monkfishesq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By monkfishesq

Company of Heroes 2 is dead to me. They're putting maps behind the pay wall/season pass. Maps behind a paywall in an RTS, you can't make this shit up. Combined with a CoH:O style cash shop I think THQ are done.

Kbohls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Kbohls

The Company of Heroes 2 pre-order on Steam makes references to "Premium Currency, XP Boost, and Unit Boosts".

cassus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By cassus

Thanks to MokfishEsq and Kbohls for using facts to ruin a game I was looking forward to.. Thanks a lot.

cj70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cj70

Just give us Homeworld 3!

Sphinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sphinx

I really hope things like that don't fuck up Company of Heroes 2. Relic makes 2 of my favourite franchises ever (DOW and COH) and I'd hate to have a reason to start avoiding them. Also, Homeworld 3.

A former co-worker of mine just left to go work at Relic, I should harass him and see if he's on the F2P project.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By warxsnake

HOMEWORLD 3 

DO YOU SPEAK IT, RELIC?

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By koolaid

@MonkfishEsq said:

Company of Heroes 2 is dead to me. They're putting maps behind the pay wall/season pass. Maps behind a paywall in an RTS, you can't make this shit up. Combined with a CoH:O style cash shop I think THQ are done.

Pics or it didn't happen.

And by pics I mean, links please?

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Seedofpower

No Problem, Patrick! For the Good of the Website!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By jakob187

Company of Heroes Online didn't last long. I don't know why they would consider this route. = /

@MonkfishEsq said:

If it's one thing I've learned from League of Legends, all you ever need is one map.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Seedofpower

@jakob187 said:

@MonkfishEsq said:

If it's one thing I've learned from League of Legends, all you ever need is one map.

This isn't a MOBA, and that map would get pretty boring pretty quick. Also, Relic hasn't ever put any maps behind pay walls and I don't think they are going to start now. If micro transactions are going to put into CoH2, its going to be in the form of cosmetics and the like.

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
    deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Just wanted to say HOMEWORLD 3 but it seems other people got it covered

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MrKlorox

At least they're trying to keep up with the market. I like the games Relic makes, but in this unsteady climate they need to latch onto as many income streams as possible if they want to continue making games. Here's hoping this doesn't turn out poorly.

edit: Also fuck whoever typed FTP instead of F2P in the job listing. You're in the industry. You should be able to know the difference, person.

Chtasm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Chtasm

That level 3 pre-order bonus on Steam has me worried. Although DoW 2 was a fun game, I don't want CoH to turn into it.

Hogans_Hotdogs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hogans_Hotdogs

Oh please God make DoW2 free-to-play, then they can FIX THE FUCKING GAME BREAKING BUGS we've had to deal with for over a year now.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Seedofpower

@Hogans_Hotdogs said:

Oh please God make DoW2 free-to-play, then they can FIX THE FUCKING GAME BREAKING BUGS we've had to deal with for over a year now.

Support for that game is dead, and the bugs come from the engine itself. Essence 2 is pretty old and it would be a waste of resources to try to fix it.

They made Essence 3 for their future games and when they get back to that franchise hopefully the same issues will not be there.

LarryDavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By LarryDavis

@Kbohls said:

The Company of Heroes 2 pre-order on Steam makes references to "Premium Currency, XP Boost, and Unit Boosts".

Yup. I was really really excited for COH2 until I read that. Now I'm out until there's at least a 66% off steam sale or something.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Jeffsekai

@Seedofpower: FOR THE GLORY OF THE EMPEROR, WE TELL PATRICK ABOUT NEWS STORIES.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By delta_ass

Homeworld 3 plox.

rktjmp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By rktjmp

Disappointed that I can't even buy Homeworld 1 & 2 on GOG or Steam...

caseyg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By caseyg

Anyone else watch the opening outer space scene for Warhammer 40k: Space Marine and realize they really just want to play Homeworld 3?

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Seedofpower

@Jeffsekai said:

@Seedofpower: FOR THE GLORY OF THE EMPEROR, WE TELL PATRICK ABOUT NEWS STORIES.

That's how we roll in the Imperium.

Kamakazie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Kamakazie

Yep, Homeworld 3 would be pretty sweet.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By korwin

@caseyg said:

Anyone else watch the opening outer space scene for Warhammer 40k: Space Marine and realize they really just want to play Homeworld 3?

Mothership.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.