My Thoughts on Remember Me

Posted by Colorwind (230 posts) -

Capcom unveiled at Gamescom this year, of all places, a new game entitled Remember Me. It follows this woman named Nilin and takes place in a futuristic Neo-Paris. The game’s big hook is the ability to erase and more impressively, rewrite people’s memories. When I first saw this game, I thought it had a decent look to it. It has a stylistic graphical aesthetic to it and I was reminded of another Capcom game for the Gamecube called P.N.03, one of the infamous Capcom Five games. While it has a bustling metropolis exterior reminiscent of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, there’s something very clean and smooth about everything, especially when you get into interior locations. Very clinical sort of speak, something P.N.03 was as well. That was really shown off when more gameplay was shown after Gamescom and depicted Nilin running from a helicopter.

Gamescom Trailer

I’m really interested in this game for two reasons. One, I’m surprised that a game this good looking is coming out this generation and it’s a new IP no less. Two, the combat. About a week ago, a demonstration video for the game’s combat system was released and it detailed how you can essentially map out your own combos. The game utilizes hand to hand action style fighting with the addition of special abilities and it looks extremely fluid and responsive. However, the fact that you can input different moves with different rewards and perks is amazing. Certain attacks build your special ability meter, others deal double damage. It’s really impressive.

Helicopter Gameplay Demo

Some people are accusing this game of being a rip off of other titles. While I can see the similarities in its atmosphere between it and Deus Ex: Human Revolution and the memory aspect can bring to mind Assassin’s Creed, not to mention the platforming system that has you hanging on ledges and running across rooftops. I’ve also heard/read comparisons to the recently announced title Watch Dogs from Ubisoft. I think it combines a interesting twist on the plot aspect of Assassin’s Creed and a cleaner presentation than Deus Ex to make its own identity. Oh and other than being in the future, it has little in common with Watch Dogs. I will say that Nilin looks A LOT like Faith from Mirror’s Edge. You could’ve told me this is a futuristic reboot of that series and I would’ve probably believed you until I saw that this was Capcom, not EA.

Combat Lab Demo

The game has already been scheduled to be released in May of next year. That’s actually refreshing as most games are announced a couple of years or so before their release. I’m going to keep an eye on this game because I get the sneaking suspicion that this game may be put out to die. Of course, it could be another title similar to Dragon’s Dogma, that comes out and is propelled to success due to word of mouth. I need to see more of the game but I like what I see so far!

#1 Posted by Colorwind (230 posts) -

Capcom unveiled at Gamescom this year, of all places, a new game entitled Remember Me. It follows this woman named Nilin and takes place in a futuristic Neo-Paris. The game’s big hook is the ability to erase and more impressively, rewrite people’s memories. When I first saw this game, I thought it had a decent look to it. It has a stylistic graphical aesthetic to it and I was reminded of another Capcom game for the Gamecube called P.N.03, one of the infamous Capcom Five games. While it has a bustling metropolis exterior reminiscent of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, there’s something very clean and smooth about everything, especially when you get into interior locations. Very clinical sort of speak, something P.N.03 was as well. That was really shown off when more gameplay was shown after Gamescom and depicted Nilin running from a helicopter.

Gamescom Trailer

I’m really interested in this game for two reasons. One, I’m surprised that a game this good looking is coming out this generation and it’s a new IP no less. Two, the combat. About a week ago, a demonstration video for the game’s combat system was released and it detailed how you can essentially map out your own combos. The game utilizes hand to hand action style fighting with the addition of special abilities and it looks extremely fluid and responsive. However, the fact that you can input different moves with different rewards and perks is amazing. Certain attacks build your special ability meter, others deal double damage. It’s really impressive.

Helicopter Gameplay Demo

Some people are accusing this game of being a rip off of other titles. While I can see the similarities in its atmosphere between it and Deus Ex: Human Revolution and the memory aspect can bring to mind Assassin’s Creed, not to mention the platforming system that has you hanging on ledges and running across rooftops. I’ve also heard/read comparisons to the recently announced title Watch Dogs from Ubisoft. I think it combines a interesting twist on the plot aspect of Assassin’s Creed and a cleaner presentation than Deus Ex to make its own identity. Oh and other than being in the future, it has little in common with Watch Dogs. I will say that Nilin looks A LOT like Faith from Mirror’s Edge. You could’ve told me this is a futuristic reboot of that series and I would’ve probably believed you until I saw that this was Capcom, not EA.

Combat Lab Demo

The game has already been scheduled to be released in May of next year. That’s actually refreshing as most games are announced a couple of years or so before their release. I’m going to keep an eye on this game because I get the sneaking suspicion that this game may be put out to die. Of course, it could be another title similar to Dragon’s Dogma, that comes out and is propelled to success due to word of mouth. I need to see more of the game but I like what I see so far!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.