Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Renegade Ops

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 13, 2011

As the "Renegade Ops" rogue military group, you must save the world from the terrorist organization Inferno in this arcade top-down vehicular shooter from the studio that brought you Just Cause 2.

This game has weird driving, and it's kind of boring.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By napalm

Yeah, I don't like how the driving feels. I feel like I constantly have to anticipate other factors beyond just turning and whatever, and it becomes a pain. I prefer my dual joystick controlling to be more punctual. Also, why do I have to drive over health? The driving is already funky, so trying to collect these tiny boxes is counter-intuitive. I also wish there was a visual indicator of where you were shooting. I understand shooting in a dual joystick game is pretty self explanatory, but trying to hit these tiny-ass targets, there's a bit of a disconnect between where the guys are, where I'm driving and where my bullets are going.

Beyond that, the game is gorgeous, and the explosions look awesome.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By Sooperspy

Maybe you should have tried the trial before buying it.

You did buy it right? That's why you're complaining.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Addfwyn

I'd assume he played the trial, since you have to actually download the demo anyway to unlock the full game, there's no real reason to buy the unlock code til you've tried the game.

wrathofconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By wrathofconn

@Napalm: There actually is a little colored semi-circle around your vehicle that rotates as you're aiming your shots. That may not fix your issues with the game, but check it out.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By onarum

Driving feels great and natural imo, well at least I can vouch for the PS3 version with a dualshock 3.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Enigma777

Opinions are like nipples: everyone has one and no one wants to suck on yours.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Animasta

@Enigma777 said:

babies totally want to suck on nipples though

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By napalm

I didn't know I wasn't allowed to state an opinion on the internet. I was hoping to generate some discussion. Currently there are only two relevant replies in this thread. Way to go, internet!

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By EVO

Yeah, I'm not really digging it either. But I haven't played co-op yet, which seems to be the crux of the game.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By jozzy

I love the controls in the game, sorry that you don't.

deadmanforking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deadmanforking

I thought the controls were fine. I did however fine the game very boring...

Yodasdarkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Yodasdarkside

Yes, I'm liking it so far, but I'm a sucker for twin-stick shooters anyway.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Slaker117

From what I've played, I enjoy the driving, but you're right about the other things. Too much of a disconnect with the shooting, and driving over the tiny heath pickups is a bit annoying.

infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By infininja

@Napalmsaid:

Also, why do I have to drive over health? The driving is already funky, so trying to collect these tiny boxes is counter-intuitive.

That doesn't sound like the description of something that's counter-intuitive. Perhaps you mean an unrelated word, such as annoying.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jayjonesjunior

@Enigma777 said:

I have two...

opinions, not nipples.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By FengShuiGod

Yeah, I agree with some of what you have to say. Usually I agree with Giantbomb, but IMO I think Brad really overrated this one. His glowing praise of it in Quicklooks

was something I didn't really understand from watching, and then the review came out, so I thought that I should probably check it out, but it's just kind of meh IMO.

Nothing is offensively bad about it, I just don't find it much more than competent.

Also, what is up with Parchment? arghrghg

shadystx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By shadystx

I completely disagree, I think the handling is perfect, At first get the hang of slight movements that would spin your vehicle around was weird but once I got the hang of it I was boosted around the map perfectly, to controls feel perfect for me and I have no trouble with aiming either.

I have only played the trial several times as I am waiting on pay day to buy it but so far the trial has been allot of fun and I cannot wait to buy the game, I have a bit cash and I am that hyped to play this game I don't think I can wait till the 23RD for my pay to go in the bank and may go pick up a point card in store in the morning, I have funds in my steam wallet and would buy it from their but it just says coming in September, wonder what day that will be.

I enjoyed the assault heroes games and since I am 29 I have played many games like this on the Amiga and 16-32 but consoles back in the day so their is some nostalgia for me, But the feel of the controls is the best of any game like this I have ever played IMO.

maxB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By maxB

Im 5 missions in and i think its great fun love the way it controls

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Skald

The driving reminds me of the Warthog in the first Halo. The back end kicks out all the time and and you control it by pointing it in a direction and accelerating.

Personally, I think it's a blast.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Pezen

@Napalmsaid:

Also, why do I have to drive over health? The driving is already funky, so trying to collect these tiny boxes is counter-intuitive.

I don't know when you were born, but driving over boxes or icons of health is pretty common historically speaking. To me, it's pretty self-evident that is how you collect health. When I first tried the game, it felt like an updated throwback to some of those old top down shooters of yesterday. Never really had an issue with the driving either, it's all about counter-steering driving like a maniac.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Getz

I played it for a couple hours with a friend. We were both pretty high, it was like 3 in the morning, and I was ready to head back to my place before I said "Hey, I saw this neat looking game that Giantbomb covered, you wanna check out the first mission real quick?" One mission turned in to four pretty quickly; we obviously had a great time with the game. I did, however, have a few bones to pick:

The driving is definitely weird at first, depending on the character. I played the black dude in the tank and his back end was H-E-A-V-Y. Getting up small ramps was especially frustrating because I just couldn't thread the needle (keep in mind my inebriation and sleep deprivation). After awhile I started getting used to it, and the game is so balls to the wall most of the time that it was a small issue, but it still never "clicked" and felt fully satisfying. I gotta say though, hitting turbo on a straight-a-way and seeing all that dust kick up and hearing the engine rev up was satisfying as all hell.

Yikes, this is starting to go on a bit so I'll just say one other thing: the shooting could have used a lot more work. The regular machine-gun is fine, and very fun to use especially when you get the upgrades. It's the secondary weapons that feel underwhelming to me. Aiming is definitely a problem, as you say, and then sometimes the shots just get lost in all the confusion. The rail gun especially I can't even tell where I shot it and if I hit anything. Shit is just constantly popping off and there's no feedback on some of that stuff. All in all, a very fun game with some minor control issues that keep it from being as transcendental as the action itself.

One last thing: the voice-acting is fucking AMAZING.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kingzetta

Well its a duel joystick shooter of course it sucks.
    I really mean that I do not like duel joystick shooters

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hatking

@extremeradical said:

The driving reminds me of the Warthog in the first Halo. The back end kicks out all the time and and you control it by pointing it in a direction and accelerating.

Personally, I think it's a blast.

Once Brad and Vinny made this connection in the Quick Look, I knew exactly what to expect. I played the trial and love the way the cars control. At this point I've played so many duel joystick shooters that the aiming and driving thing is sort of intuitive.

I did get a little annoyed having to drive over the health pickups though. It was especially aggravating when I was low on health and had to drive into enemy fire to get to the crates. Some sort of health crate magnet would have been much appreciated; perhaps it's an upgrade?

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'd disagree. But not particularly strongly. I think the weird physics-y feel adds a little bit of flavor to the experience. I like to be able to swing the vehicles' rear ends around corners the way they can, and if the driving was tighter the game would lose that sense of "dirt road" driving. It'd basically control like Geometry Wars on a pathway, then. And I don't want that. 

What I do think the game needs is a sort of "reset" feature, where you're quickly righted on your wheels on the nearest pathway if you're trapped against a corner or you get flipped. Especially if you get flipped. The refresh rate after you overturn your vehicle allows nearby enemies way too much time to land easy shots on you.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By napalm

Well, I come back after playing the first few missions, and I am enjoying it a lot more. The game has a very trial and error feel to it. If you find out one tactic isn't working, you really can't just back away, catch your breath and then try something else, either you go forward at full throttle hoping your plan works, or you die trying.

I am also not really a fan of some of the enemy units. The homing rocket launcher trucks can essentially knock you down over a quarter of health with each hit, and trying to take these guys out without running in their face and getting decimated is extremely difficult. Also, some of the bosses are crap. They are like, auto-instant death enemies and where you'll spend all of your lives trying to kill them because your only tactic is SHOOT MOAR.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Getz

@HistoryInRust said:

What I do think the game needs is a sort of "reset" feature, where you're quickly righted on your wheels on the nearest pathway if you're trapped against a corner or you get flipped. Especially if you get flipped. The refresh rate after you overturn your vehicle allows nearby enemies way too much time to land easy shots on you.

Ah, god yes. With how fast this game moves, flipping your car over and having to wait several seconds while it resets itself feels like an eternity.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By napalm

@Getz said:

@HistoryInRust said:

Ah, god yes. With how fast this game moves, flipping your car over and having to wait several seconds while it resets itself feels like an eternity.

I've only ever flipped going over a hill or something, which is rarely where I see action.

I wish there was health + armor. Armor is a nice little protection buff before your health starts going down, or a power up to reinforce your vehicle that acts as armor. The game isn't bad. I just wish they did more with it. It feels a little bare bones.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Getz

@Napalm said:

I wish there was health + armor. Armor is a nice little protection buff before your health starts going down, or a power up to reinforce your vehicle that acts as armor. The game isn't bad. I just wish they did more with it. It feels a little bare bones.

The tank guy's special ability is actually a shield that you can upgrade with all kinds of goodies

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By HandsomeDead

Who would have thought that a game where you just blow stuff up is boring. Especially as a follow up to the immensely boring Just Cause 2.

infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By infininja

@kingzetta said:

Well its a duel joystick shooter of course it sucks. I really mean that I do not like duel joystick shooters

Dual.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kingzetta
    @Infininja said:

@kingzetta said:

Well its a duel joystick shooter of course it sucks. I really mean that I do not like duel joystick shooters

Dual.

I like duel better, to sticks fighting each other with pistols at dawn.
    Boiglenoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By Boiglenoight

It's a good game. On level 4, so far I wouldn't call it a 5 star game. 4, maybe. Hoping it pans out for the better.

Bumpton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Bumpton

@kingzetta said:

@Infininja said:

@kingzetta said:

Dual.

I like duel better, to sticks fighting each other with pistols at dawn.

While we're fixing grammar... Two. haha

But on topic, I'm loving this game! I totally agree about the "reset" feature for when you flip. I drive like such a maniac that it's cost me a life a couple of times. I really enjoy feeling of just barely maintaining control of the vehicle. Makes everything seem a little more desperate and intense. To each their own though!

MushroomSamba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By MushroomSamba

I thought the controls felt pretty damn good and I love flying around in the helicopters too. The only part that felt a little clumsy was the final level, where you'd have to maneuver around narrow corridors. There isn't a reverse as far as I know, so if you got stuck in corners, you'd be pretty vulnerable to hits as you try to weasel out of 'em. 

All-in-all, I had a blast with the game. Played local 2-player co-op, and it felt just right.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By Devil240Z

I love the driving.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.