Resident Evil 2 remake a possibility.

#1 Edited by Yummylee (21667 posts) -

Now they're not currently working on such a project, but apparently if there's enough fan 'support' they will put it into consideration. So, first off: People have been clamouring for an RE2 remake for years now, so I think the support and the want is certainly there. However, given the direction Resident Evil has taken, I'm personally not too thrilled of the idea at how the current heads of Resident Evil would stir such a remake...

The most obvious result would be it's an action-heavy cooperative-centric shooter; basically RE5 in RE2 clothing, which, yes, I'm sure a lot of people here would love... But for me personally that sounds terrible. I still adore RE2 and enjoy heading back in after so many months just to remind myself how much I adore that damn game. But I'm not completely against the idea of a remake; naturally if they could give it same treatment as the remake for the original game, then it could potentially rise up to be the greatest anything in the history of ever. And no, I'm not saying it needs camera angles and tank controls (though oh baby if only), but for it to at least keep it strictly solo and still keep the actual exploration and ammo conservation aspect of it would be dandy. Having it essentially play like Revelations did, complete with the ability to move & shoot, would be fine I think.

Better graphics (obviously) and of course plenty of additional secrets and new areas and such to still make it feel surprisingly new, much like with the original remake. Because lord knows no matter how many times you played the original, your prior experience, while still giving you a slight heads up, didn't entirely prepare you for what to expect. New enemies, new enemy placement, new key item placements, new rooms, new walls for Mr X to randomly smash through (forcing you to shit oneself all over again) - GAWD FUCKINGYESLETSDOTHIS!!!

I wonder how they'd handle the A/B scenario? I'd be grateful if they'd actually fix in two different scenarios for both Leon & Claire again, but for simplicity's sake and sticking with the canon story progression (Claire A and Leon B) would still be plenty acceptable. And oh man, current (or next?) gen Tofu!?

Of course all of that wishful thinking is just that, and this could all be a ruse so as CAPCOM gets a few more brownie points just for acknowledging the possibility of an RE2 remake. And there's probably still more chance that my first suggestion will be the one they'd decide to go for should this come ever to pass. However, with the increase in general survival games as of late including Day Z, Last of Us, I Am Alive, Human Element - maybe CAPCOM will reinvent the series again to keep it with what's current. After all RE6 is what it is because of all dat CoD money, so if they hypothetically carried on following the money and what's popular, then maybe they'd make a damn survival horror game again.

#2 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

can't wait to play it after MegaMan Legends 3

#3 Posted by Yummylee (21667 posts) -

@SlightConfuse said:

can't wait to play it after MegaMan Legends 3

Boom.

#4 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

Snark aside i think a RE 2 remake wold be awesome , since i have never played it. Bionic commando reamrd and Street Fighter 2 HD are great remakes. But current capcom is worrisome

#5 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11749 posts) -

Considering how much nostalgia-whoring that the franchise has experienced over the years, especially in regards to Resident Evil 2, they might as well do it. If they straight up went ahead and made a REmake style remake of it, like it was 2002 and an exclusive for the Nintendo Gamecube, they would get all of my $60 for as utterly insane as such a move would be. But if such were to occur, it would probably just end up being a 3rd person shooter where the zombies drop ammo after you kill them. *sigh* Oh well. I'd still buy it. Resident Evil 2 is great.

#6 Posted by egg (1467 posts) -

here's a few things i hope they keep in the remake:

• save management
  • ink ribbons
  • when you die, you return to title screen and have to load game data again as if you just turned the game on
  • not know where to go without using a guide
  • limited inventory slots (otherwise you would just be able to bring necessary puzzle pieces everywhere with you in case you need them, that would just be anarchy)
  • being able to, by accident, reach a boss with no weapons/ammo and no way to get more without playing the entire game over from the beginning

I am a true RE fan

#7 Posted by Yummylee (21667 posts) -

@egg said:

here's a few things i hope they keep in the remake:

• save management
  • ink ribbons
  • when you die, you return to title screen and have to load game data again as if you just turned the game on
  • not know where to go without using a guide
  • limited inventory slots (otherwise you would just be able to bring necessary puzzle pieces everywhere with you in case you need them, that would just be anarchy)
  • being able to, by accident, reach a boss with no weapons/ammo and no way to get more without playing the entire game over from the beginning

I am a true RE fan

I shall award this troll post an S rank! Congrats!

#8 Posted by Nightriff (5085 posts) -

Maybe I'll get around to playing it then, if it is as good as REmake for the GC then hell yeah they should do it. If it's just a port (that I have bought on several different platforms) then fuck them

#9 Edited by Sackmanjones (4706 posts) -

Lets get past RE6 first, then we can think about this.

I do agree that it is a wonderful idea though, really love RE2.

#10 Posted by ShaggE (6457 posts) -

I really hope this happens (along with a Fatal Frame HD collection, but that's another thread altogether). I have so many fond memories of failing at RE2, more than any other game in the series.

#11 Posted by Yummylee (21667 posts) -

@ShaggE said:

I really hope this happens (along with a Fatal Frame HD collection, but that's another thread altogether). I have so many fond memories of failing at RE2, more than any other game in the series.

?

Is that also a jab at how much the older Resident Evils suck? :o

#12 Posted by WalkerTR77 (1370 posts) -

Just hook it to my veins.

#13 Posted by Psykhophear (939 posts) -

I'm probably one of the few people who doesn't want a RE2 remake. As much as I love the game (in fact, it's my all time favorite out of all Resident Evil games), I'm convinced that Capcom would go overboard and change everything we know and loved about Resident Evil 2 like the camera angles (from fixed camera to over-the-shoulder perspective, maybe), emphasizing more on action than horror, storyline and so forth. It would be a totally different game much like The Darkside Chronicles. Although it's not really a remake and the game's more action oriented, I'm afraid that the remake might end up like this.

For me, I'm happy with Resident Evil 2 just the way it is and playing it on PSN and Gamecube is enough for me. The only thing I want from Capcom is to port it to the PC (Windows XP/7 compatible) and put it on Steam, as well as the other Resident Evil games.

#14 Posted by ShaggE (6457 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

@ShaggE said:

?

Is that also a jab at how much the older Resident Evils suck? :o

Not at all, just a jab at my own lack of skill at the first three games. I truly enjoy RE2, even though I never made it to the back half of the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.