Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 21, 1998

Rookie cop Leon S. Kennedy and civilian Claire Redfield must make their way through a zombie-infested Raccoon City in the sequel to Capcom's original "survival horror" classic.

Resident Evil 2 Remake Wishlist!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Edited By Yummylee

EDIT: Already posted the trailer in this other thread, but no harm in sticking it in here too just for the sake of a Resident Evil 2 remake is actually happening?!?

WE DO IT?? WE DO IT! Fucking Hell is this surreal... they're actually going through with it. Literally nothing to go on as of yet besides that it exists... but it exists. And they didn't even formally announce it at a tradeshow or anything? Really bizarre for how Capcom have been handling things lately.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No Caption Provided

Well by Golly here's a first! Me doing a Resident Evil blog?? A Resident Evil 2 blog no less! Why I've only already done one of those... which isn't quite enough to nail the joke of me continually writing specifically about RE2, but you get the idea. Though yes, I did fairly recently write up a blog related to the concept of remaking Resident Evil 2, and have also linked to it on innumerable occasions in the past. I've linked to it like five times just in this blog alone.... Six now.

However said blog was primarily related to the whys and ifs and the butts about the concept of remaking RE2. I did list a short flurry of ideas pertaining to how I'd like to see RE2 remade, though I didn't get into as much detail as I'd like.

For reference, I'll copy/paste my original ideas over yonder.

Also, if you can, try your best to read it with every last word of each sentence echoing... you know, to add to the idea that you're reading something from the past.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remaking Resident Evil 2 - The Yummylee Way!

The Ideal

THAT'S RIGHT YOUR SMGS ARE WORTH SHIT AND IT'S FUCKING GLORIOUS
    THAT'S RIGHT YOUR SMGS ARE WORTH SHIT AND IT'S FUCKING GLORIOUS

Anyone who knows me shouldn't be too surprised to learn that I'm of the ilk that would most love to see Resident Evil 2 rendered with the same design philosophies as its original release. I'd want it to play with all of the hallmarks of yesteryear, with the notorious mix of camera angles and tank controls. Though that's not to say there couldn't still exist an alternative analogue control scheme like in this REcent REmastering of the REmake... I'M SO VERY SORRY OH LORD SAVE ME.

Hell, they could perhaps even include the option to move and shoot, allowing you to slowly pace backwards or forwards. While your inability to simultaneously move and shoot was pretty key to the third-person shooter design of Resident Evil 4 & 5, allowing you the courtesy for the older games wouldn't alter them too drastically I feel. Just so long as the pace of which you can move while shooting is at walking speed of course. No running 'n' gunning with a FAMAS ala Metal Gear Solid for example. They had already implemented moving & shooting within the classic design in Resident Evil: Outbreak File 2 before hand. In fact they even allowed analogue control, too!

I would also expect a few twists here and there within the gameplay much like how the remake introduced self-defence items. Crimson Heads would certainly have to carry over in particular. Further expanding on the Scenarios system, by most importantly featuring many more decisions that will reflect in the alternate B scenario, would be a must as well.

The tone of the story would still be within the realm of... well, I don't want to see Leon defying the laws of everything like during that laser hall scene in Resident Evil 4. I also wouldn't want them to take themselves too seriously, however. The extreme melodrama of RE6 could get to be a little nauseous, although while the story was needlessly convoluted, the original Revelations managed to recapture the silly spark of the older games with its goofy dialogue and seemingly intentionally strange line readings.

Though when it comes down to it, that Capcom would be willing to remake Resident Evil 2 under these guidelines seems highly unlikely unfortunately.

Survival Horror Shooter-Vania

''There's no time for resting.''
    ''There's no time for resting.''

The other primary alternative is of course with the over-the-shoulder set up and having it function more as a straight shooter. However that too isn't completely without appeal in my eyes. When we consider the recent influx of shooters such as The Last of Us and The Evil Within, and maybe even Alien: Isolation to a certain extent, the 'survival horror shooter' is starting to form into a sub-genre of its own. Capcom have already been taking some obvious cues from The Last of Us with how they're steering the direction for Revelations 2. That could then perhaps work as the blueprint for this hypothetical actioned-up remake of Resident Evil 2.

However they would have to keep the exploration aspect intact. The RPD station in particular would still have to allow you to explore (mostly) at your leisure. Though to account for the higher action-focus, the open nature of the game could then lead into what would basically be a MetroidVania style of shooter. You would not only be acquiring the necessary key items to move on but also upgrades, hidden away behind all sorts of optional puzzle rooms or boss battles or what have you maybe, and they could even add a bit of randomisation to it. Not only with what sort of loot you'd find, but enemy placements, too. That would further strengthen the survival element of this 'survival horror shooter' by way of it forcing the all important aspect of improvisation into the design.

There's also the question of cooperative gameplay. Under my rule, the story would primarily stay single player. However funnily enough what I think would be interesting is if they took a cue from Resident Evil 6. Specifically the cross-campaigns connection. With the Scenarios system still intact, they could then have Leon & Claire occasionally meet up with one another, only the alternate character could potentially be another player who is playing the alternate Scenario. In the original game they never actually fought together, but for the sake of this hypothetical remake idea's higher focus on action, having them working together to best a boss or survive a noticeably tough encounter would fit in without cooperative gameplay being too overbearing.

The randomisation element would ideally promote the concept of replay value, and not to mention the typical suite of unlockables one would expect from a Capcom game, so there'd hopefully be enough people playing to successfully allow such a specific matchup.

Playing It Safe

480p60
    480p60

What is the most likely route for Capcom would be what they're doing with the Remastering of the original remake. No, not the remake itself, but the remastering of the remake specifically. So while they wouldn't go to the extent of creating all these new assets and so on, they'd at least be willing to layer on a shiny new coat, while maybe adding in some additional mechanics similarly to the many upgrades Resident Evil: Deadly Silence saw. Y'know, stuff like the 180 degree turn - finally!

Like many of Capcom's games, Resident Evil 2 has seen a lot of porting throughout its time. Many of which include their own additions both big and small. Some like the N64 version featured a mode that would rearrange all of the item placements just like the Advanced mode in Resident Evil: Director's Cut, alongside some new costumes to wear and files to read. Its PC version has itself its own exclusive Hard mode setting at that, and every version from the Dualshock PS1 version (meaning not the very original) has the Extreme Battle minigame, which sort of functions as a very early prototype to the recurring Mercenaries minigame. Sort of...

In any case, if this Ultimate Edition of Resident Evil 2 could compile all of Resident Evil 2's content into one accessible package, alongside all of the other aforementioned bells & whistles, then I know I at least would be content. (pun...)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, ya get all that? No...? Well to shit with it then I'm going on without you!

And comon, how come nobody praised me for that superb caption for the Richter image?? Like, really! #TootinOnesHorn

Remaking Resident Evil 2 - The Yummylee Way 2.0!

Overview & Controls

No Caption Provided

Now this'll primarily be operating under the assumption that RE2 is being remade within the confines of the classic survival horror REs. So, camera angles and tank controls and all of that sweet, heavily divisive yogurt. Though much like I mentioned in my original copy/pasted post, that's not to say that RE2 must control with the exact same limitations as it always has - far from it in fact. For starters, there should absolutely be an alternate control option that utilises a more modern, analogue control scheme as seen in the remake remastering and the eventual release of RE0's similarly remastered state. I myself would once again continue to ignore such a control method, but for the sake of appealing to a wider audience (without sacrificing the 'niche' aspects of the games), it really wouldn't hurt to have it in there.

Though even amongst the latter classic entries of Resident Evil are there a number of refinements that could be implemented from later games within the old school survival horror philosophy. Like, say, the 180 degree turn! This was first introduced in Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, to which despite being such a simple mechanic managed to greatly improve upon your available maneuverability. It gave you a better method for escaping danger and simply made it easier to move around. Next is actually allowing you to move and shoot. As said before, being perched to the spot made sense for RE4 and RE5, for they're a pair of distinctively methodical and generally slow-paced shooters that were designed around such a restriction. Giving you the ability to move & shoot thusly turns the games into, well, Revelations 2. That's not meant to be a swipe at Rev 2 either, but regardless of your opinions towards it (which mostly seem to be lukewarm from my observations) it's undoubtedly a faster and more traditional style of shooter because of its increased player maneuverability.

For the classic games, letting you move & shoot wouldn't really mess with the formula all that drastically, so long as they keep the moving part of this new spangled moving & shooting equation to walking speed. If anything they could also maybe use this to implement one such character ability from the Outbreak series. Two of the eight characters, being Kevin Ryman (AKA STARS wannabe and Tom Cruise lookalike) and Alyssa Ashcroft (AKA hard-nosed reporter lady, mistress of unlocking, and Nicole Kidman doppelganger) can better line up their shots when stood still while aiming a handgun. In the original Outbreak you couldn't move & shoot, but in the sequel you could, thereby introducing the idea of players taking the risk of staying on the spot to better line up their shots for higher damage output. It's the sort of thing that would work well in a new classic RE game, to then simultaneously allow you to (slowly) move & shoot while also introducing an incentive to keep your feet perched to the ground all the same.

Being able to move & shoot counts for nothing anyway when you're backed into a corner
    Being able to move & shoot counts for nothing anyway when you're backed into a corner

Further hypothetical gameplay refinements include letting you reload mid-game as opposed to either running out of ammo in your weapon, forcing you to reload, or instead prematurely reloading in the inventory menu. It's a small improvement, but all of those saved seconds from going into the inventory could count for just enough to matter. One of the most innovative additions that the DS sort-of-remake Resident Evil saw was how they retooled your knife. Basically they made it so it functioned exactly as it did in Resident Evil 4. Rather than merely being dumped in the item box to be forgotten amidst a choir of ink ribbons, the knife being made into a permanent fixture of your character helped give it some actual purpose - that is beyond knife-only speedruns for the crazies more dedicated players than I. It still wouldn't be especially effective--though being able to move &... swipe may change that--but simply knowing that you have it available at all times is a comforting thought. Because of how unreliable it generally is, least without a lot of practise and even more determination, it always felt like carrying it with you was a waste of an inventory slot; a slot that would be better served with more ammo or a healing supply. Honestly I think it was a real disappointment that they never continued this idea for the remake remastering.

Another such improvement that was also sorely missing and could do with its belated introduction via RE2 remake: ''small key'' stacking! A recurring item in the series, perhaps most recognisable for Chris Redfield playthroughs from the original. Rather than having some fancy Master of Unlocking degree hanging from their wall, small keys had to be collected by certain characters instead to rummage the insides of an all manner of drawers and lockers for some additional goodies. However that each of these supposedly small keys took up an entire inventory slot is luuudicrous! So instead, they should stack. Or perhaps you could at least potentially find a key ring item so you can swing them all together as one like a late night security guard.

Difficulty Settings

One of my main problems with Resident Evil 2 is that it's really pretty easy. Part of that is down to my own incessant playing of these games in my youth, resulting in any new playthroughs resembling what is sort of like an auto-pilot mentality. But even besides that RE2 is undoubtedly much more accessible than its forebearers and successors. As such, not only should the difficulty be tweaked, but it should feature a Hard mode. Technically it did in fact for its PC version, though I have unfortunately never laid my hands on said version.

Furthermore--and this too already exists in another, equally obscure port--should they add an ''Arrange Mode''. As the name implies, this would mix up the item placements throughout the game. For a series that (once) hindered on item placement to determine where you need to go, such a tweak really goes a long way in making a key aspect of the game feel surprisingly fresh. That, and it eliminates the idea of a player more easily being able to acquire ammunition & healing supplies for following playthroughs. Or at least one anyway. This sort of design was actually incorporated into Resident Evil 3: Nemesis to a certain extent. It didn't get its own mode, but instead would exist more naturally with a certain degree of randomisation for an all manner of of aspects. This included what weapons you'd find where, and even for when you were to (sometimes) receive an unwelcome surprise from dear Nemesis T. Huxterbald.

It's just a really simple method for giving a game that is otherwise notoriously static an additional dose of life. If they could actually implement the RE3 way of doing things instead, with each playthrough featuring its own degree of randomisation, then that'd be pretty swell, too!

The A & B Scenarios

Leon in the front, Claire in the rear... Wait no that's not how that goes.
    Leon in the front, Claire in the rear... Wait no that's not how that goes.

Now this, this right here is the goldmine. Even after so many sequels and spin-offs, the Scenarios system is still a distinctly Resident Evil 2 feature, and as such just about any sort of RE2 remake simply couldn't go forward without it. And going by the idea that RE2 will be expanded similarly to the original remake, then there's a great deal of promise for where they could take it.

There's a lot of room for improvement, too. The Scenarios system was a great idea in theory, but for all it done right there was just as much that felt a little iffy. Like, while Leon & Claire each travel to different portions of the RPD, they must each still solve a number of the same puzzles, locate the same keys, and so forth. It seems at odds with the idea that both characters are actually exploring throughout this place at the same time. Obviously it requires a fair bit of suspension of disbelief even at its most effective, but the idea that you're to repeat a number of tasks with each character only makes it all the more difficult to keep your disbelief... suspended.

As such, I think it'd be an interesting challenge should they use this as an opportunity to more individually craft Leon and Claire's own separate adventures. The RPD station could be expanded, with whole new areas to wallhug through, much like what the Spencer Mansion was treated to for its 2002 remaking. New areas means there's more room for each character to forge their own path, to give them both enough room to allow them to have their own distinct story.

Plus, there would be a lot more crossover between what you do in one scenario that'll then reflect in the other. In the original RE2 there weren't very many occurrences to where they would connect with one another, where you'd actually get the sense that both Leon & Claire's stories are indeed happening concurrently. It basically boiled down to a locker with a submachine gun & minipack, to which you could either take as one character or leave it for the other, and the handprint scanning device that required both characters handprints to open for the B Scenario character. Since within my imagined reality both Leon & Claire's adventures would take in largely different locations of the station, then whenever they do happen to retread the other's steps, any supplies that were taken as one character should then stay taken. There could also be some RE4 Sideways-esque sort of mingling, too. To where actions as one character may hinder/benefit the other, though of course for your first playthrough you wouldn't realise it at the time.

In short, the scenarios system could really do with some steps taken to help them feel more naturally concurrent, to paint a picture for the player of Leon & Claire actually traversing this enormous Gothic police precinct that's big enough to hold two largely separate, yet also tethered, tales.

Playable Characters - AKA - Resident Evil 2: Nemesis

No Caption Provided

This may be more of an undertaking than is reasonable... but an idea I had when considering this remake was the possibility of Resident Evil 3: Nemesis also being remade, but as apart of Resident Evil 2. They're both largely similar to begin with, sharing the odd number of assets, and Jill must even briefly explore through a select segment of the RPD. Though while RE3 does still have a lot to help it stand on its own, both RE2 & RE3 are similar enough to where they feel like sibling releases - somewhat akin to the original remake and RE0. So, the idea of actually including Jill's story alongside Leon & Claire would be a really awesome way to compact the entire events of the Raccoon City story, right from the beginning until its destruction. They could also try to come up with a slightly more believable reason for why Jill can only explore certain parts of the station beyond ''somebody boarded up all these doors??''. Since Jill arrives at the station before RE2 even begins, they could simply have all the doors that she isn't meant to access locked, with a pretty singular path that takes her to where she needs to go and collect her lockpick.

Certain mechanics of RE3 I think should stay within RE3, however. The dodge maneuver should continue to only exist in RE3, with the justification that Jill is a more capable and hardened character than Leon/Claire due to her previous experience with the zombies and the tyrants and ects. And also not to mention her being a STARS member at that. Ammo creation would also stay locked within the confines of RE3, as would the live-selection choices. Jill's story would thusly perhaps receive a slightly less dramatic overhaul over RE2, due to it being a comparatively more simple game with only the one character and all. Though again this would also allow the randomisation elements of RE3 to more naturally co-exist in both remakes, too.

This also brings me back to the Scenarios system. If RE3 was to barge itself in to share the limelight with RE2, then that may come at the cost of cutting down one half of the scenarios. It's long been established that Claire A/Leon B is the canon ordering, to which would of course carry over in RE2. Though since the scenarios are to be deviated from one another a fair bit more than what was originally shown, that may then make it more difficult to actually incorporate the non-canon Leon A/Claire B telling.

They kept both Chris and Jill's playthroughs for the original remake, rather than trying to instead settle on a single, canon take that combines elements of both them. But then the differences between Chris & Jill's stories is more minimal in relation to how Leon & Claire's would differ between one another. I think I at least would be fine if they instead 'narrowed' the Scenarios system to the one scenario per character in any case.

Enemies

They don't need to go too overboard here. There's already a decent selection of nasties for them to throw your way, and under my idea of RE2 & RE3 existing as one game, they could then criss-cross certain enemies between the two. Such as having Hunters in RE2 and Lickers in RE3 just as an example. The ability for zombies to rush into a quick sprint from RE3 would do well to carry over into RE2 at that.

Though what's most important to consider is the inclusion of a Crimson Head equivalent. Crimson Heads in the original remake was a positively genius idea; it made the necessary backtracking much more nerve-wracking, even should you fully well know that you've bested any potential monsters - if not more so because of that, what with Crimson Heads functioning as a faster, meaner revival of a standard, sluggish zombie. They helped to establish a decent sense of progression to the game - as you accumulate bigger weapons and bigger caches of ammunition, it's up to the game to respond in kind by upping the ferocity of the enemies you're to defend yourself against.

Looks like you got some Silent Hill in my Resident Evil there you do!
    Looks like you got some Silent Hill in my Resident Evil there you do!

However, it's not Crimson Heads themselves that I'd want to see in my remake. Instead, I think it'd be real interesting for them to reintroduce one of the more obscurer enemies - the Regis Licker. It's not actually an enemy type but a boss battle, only seen in the first Outbreak game - and even then only in one of five scenarios. Because Lickers are in actual fact the extended mutation of zombies--to which I imagine Crimson Heads function in the middle somewhere--having zombies slowly transform into Regis Lickers would be an especially creepy way of handling the undead getting even more undeader. Though that wouldn't exclusively have to be the case. I don't know the exact specifics, but I don't think a zombie has to die to undergo the process of becoming a Licker. So, you could then instead simply have zombies that are already in the Regis state, if not slowly becoming one should they be left 'alive', roaming around the station for too long.

In fact saying that, you could have both Crimson Heads and Regis Lickers featured in the game. It'd create a really unsettling risk/risk system to where if you kill a zombie, it may turn into a Crimson Head... but if you leave it alive, it may then instead turn into a Regis Licker. This would work especially well within the Scenarios system, to where enemies killed/left alive as one character may then be encountered in their transformed state as the alternate character.

I AM A BLADDY GENIUS - SOMEONE GIVE ME A GRANT.

Boss Battles

Oh dip, he's right behind me isn't he.
    Oh dip, he's right behind me isn't he.

Not too much to say in this front, other than like in the remake some boss designs could do with the odd tweak here and there. I'd like to see the giant alligator receive something of an overhaul in particular, due to the fact that if they kept it the same as how it was originally designed, then veteran players already know to just wait for it to wrassle the conveniently placed explosive canister into its mouth first before watching its entire upper half of its head go kablooey.

I'd also love the idea of the Mr X Tyrant becoming an even more nefarious foe. Until he undergoes the requisite Tyrant mutation at the end, he's kind of a pushover. He'll only walk towards you, completely blocking your path forcing you to unload into him, meaning that the game designed him to be beaten pretty easily on the account that it's the only option you have. Plus, the wierdly generous bastard even drops some ammunition upon flopping to the floor. His primary function was to basically serve up a few (well executed) jump scares by way of elbowing his way through the wall like Homer Simpson in that episode when they go to Japan.

OH CHEESUS, MARGARINE AND JELLY MY HEART THAT JUMP SCARE GOT ME GOOD
    OH CHEESUS, MARGARINE AND JELLY MY HEART THAT JUMP SCARE GOT ME GOOD

Now in my eyes he should most definitely continue the slow, steady walk. It's an iconic pace for horror villains in general, for how they always managed to catch up to you despite rarely ever going beyond the speed of a brisk pace. Though he should be slightly easier to get around - and by slightly easier I mean it should actually be a possibility. The one defining difference here is that he'd be virtually unkillable. You can try to take him down, but the ammo it would require would make it a foolhardy task. He should also of course be able to follow you through rooms - all the while continuing his same, confident walk-with-purpose.

After enough dillydallying he'll eventually give up the chase similar to Nemesis, but he should stay on your trail just long enough to still keep the player ill at ease. Nemesis can run like a damned athlete, therefore keeping you on your toes as you try to escape. The Tyrant however would again continue to walk, making him a much easier stalker to get out of reach of - therefore making it so that his greater persistence of staying on your trail than Nemesis would balance it out some. It wouldn't function to the point where he's literally glued to your ass in every location, it would definitely have to allow you some breathing room in between areas, but again the idea of wondering when he's going to arrive is what would really build up some satisfactory tension.

Unlockables

Mercenaries

Since we're going with the idea that RE3 is packed into RE2, Mercenaries also making its return seems par for the course. Though with the inclusion of RE2 stuffs, it could actually feature different stages instead of the single one that takes you from the tram to the warehouse saveroom at the beginning of RE3. It would feature the same core Mercs cast, alongside some new RE2 editions. I think it'd be swell if they also once again had Chris Redfield as an unlockable character like his appearance in RE2's Extreme Battle mode, complete with his higher capabilities allowing him to more steadily handle the recoil of the shotgun in relation to Leon.

The design of the mode would still hold true to how it was originally. A timer ticking down, combo kills, ''hostages'' to save, and so on. It had always proved to be an absolutely superb method for anteing up on the action while still keeping the ammo conservation an extremely important factor of the gameplay. You are actively incentivised to blow apart everything in your wake... but you most certainly can't kill everything, and if you decided early on to start blasting fools left and right, then you may find yourself in dire straits later on where you're facing against enemies you have little left to defend yourself against.

HUNK: The 4th Survivor

I've lost my favourite pipe, can somebody please help me find my favourite pipe??
    I've lost my favourite pipe, can somebody please help me find my favourite pipe??

Much like Mercenaries, this too could still function pretty well by largely replicating what it originally entailed. Not to the letter of course, but it needn't have anything especially fancy done to it. Though they could perhaps rename it to the 5th Survivor now, on the account that Ada has long since been confirmed to survive the ordeals of RE2 alongside Leon, Claire, and Sherry.

One such improvement I'd like to see is that of random enemy locations, or at least different difficulty settings with each one featuring different placements akin to how it was in Extreme Battle. Never Not Randomising is undoubtedly one of the key themes here.

Tofu Survivor

...said example of utter lunacy. Trust Wesker to still be wearing those damned shades under a mask.
    ...said example of utter lunacy. Trust Wesker to still be wearing those damned shades under a mask.

...For reals, there's just no way they could pass this up. It's perhaps one of the most ridiculously iconic features of RE2, one that has never been replicated in any other Resident Evil game since. Though I would like if they were to give it a little more attention to allow it to move on from simply being the HUNK mode, only you're now a sentient lump of bean curd. Really go the extra mile in making this mode to just exude utter lunacy.

Story

The story of RE2 is some wonderfully melodramatic flair and doesn't actually need to be altered all too much. It has enough going on in there--with Brian Irons, the Birkin family, G-Virus, and not to mention the budding frenemy relationship between Leon & Ada--that the story could largely stay as is really. It's a fun tale that's probably one of Resident Evil's most engaging.

I'd especially like to see a better realised, more modern interpretation of Brian Irons. Really dial the creep-factor up a few more notches
    I'd especially like to see a better realised, more modern interpretation of Brian Irons. Really dial the creep-factor up a few more notches

Naturally there'd be a new script and voice acting, and if Revelations 2 is anything to go by then hopefully the dialogue will actually rise to a quality where it'll sound a little more natural. Most people associate voice acting in Resident Evil with the original, though the improvements seen in RE2 were pretty significant. It's not great of course, but it's not nearly as impossibly awful as what the original saw. So, for them to try and redo it all, but with a much better localisation team I'd have to guess, wouldn't necessarily take away from the ham and melodrama that permeated so much of RE2's original work.

I think what is really important is the tone. Whenever RE2 is looked back on in other games, such as Darkside Chronicles in particular, it's usually with Leon & Claire carrying the same bravado and over-confidence that they'd see in later games - complete with all of their skills ninjutsu already honed as well . Though while it makes sense in later games, on the account that a BOW outbreak occurs seemingly every day just before brunch, this is their first encounter with the walking dead. That's not to say they should be a pair of shivering wrecks with their mental instability slowly cracking away with each new horrific image they stumble upon, but... no one-liners, not until it really fits like against the mutated Tyrant at the end. Both characters should be depicted as being sure of themselves, for the most part, but with enough vulnerability to recognise that the things that are hounding them are more than capable in tearing the life out of them by their own intestines.

Your time will come, Token Minority Man. Your time will come.
    Your time will come, Token Minority Man. Your time will come.

That's not all to say the story would have to be a complete mimic - 1998 Psycho style. Like the original remake, some minor adjustments here and there would be welcome. They would do well in leaving veteran players on their toes, wondering just what else has changed from how they remember, while still keeping the core plot intact. It'd if be nice if Marvin Branagh could perhaps receive a longer lifespan for example, akin to Richard Aiken from the original.

Same all also goes for RE3 if it actually made it in there too. I'd really like to see Mikhail get a little more screen time for starters, and to also actually better implement the idea that Nicholai is as much an Evil Russian archetype as he first hinted at. When Carlos encounters Nicholai in the hospital his true motives are revealed, though Carlos then brings such information to Jill as if Nicholai being this greedy good-for-nothing was already established for both characters. Jill had no reason until then to believe Nicholai was a bad guy; a grumpy bugger perhaps, but someone who seemingly shared the same interests as the rest of the cast.

Also, Michael Mcconnohie would most certainly have to reprise his role as Barry for the ending where he saves the day and scoops up our heroine and her multi-accented ally, Carlos Oliveira.

Oh! Conclusion!

There you have it anywhoo, my breakdown on a number of aspects of Resident Evil 2 and how I'd like to see them improved, altered, and adjusted for this inevitable Resident Evil 2 Resomething that's undeniably in the works. Though don't get this to mean I actually believe much of what I've written will come to pass; some of it is easier to envision than others, with my idea of RE3 actually inhabiting the RE2 remake as its own 'scenario' being the sort of wishful thinking that'd make my tenor at Capcom pretty brief. But for the sake of dreaming big and taking an equally big munch out of that pie in the sky, I went all out in what I'd like to see RE2 remastered into, while also trying my best to keep it all within a realm of possibility. Though whether that realm is the same one we exist in is the question that will hopefully be answered in due time.

OUTRO MOOSAK

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By hassun

I like the idea of turning RE2 and 3 into one game and having the character scenario choices at the start.

Both Nemesis and Mr X being far less predictable and having many more areas they can attack you in is high on my wish list. Can't wait to have either of them burst through a save room wall like the Kool-Aid mascot. You need that relentless pressure, that feeling you're constantly being hunted by an unstoppable foe and that there is no reprieve.

A revamped and expanded version of the RE3 mercs/Operation Mad Jackal (probably my favourite in the series) would also be very welcome. You can do some crazy stuff with it as well, like integrating RE2 enemies and playable characters (although I am quite fond of the UBCS guys). Imagining getting to the end, only to be confronted by Mr X and Nemesis at the same time!
    That reminds me, are there even any female UBCS members? Don't think I've ever seen one. Might be cool to have one in Mercs at least.

P.S. For the love of god don't make Jill look like a creepy crack addict again.
    P.P.S. For the love of god don't include ANYTHING from recent RE games.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

My gosh, and I thought I was a huge RE2 fan. I mean, all I really wanted from a remake of 2 was for it to get the same attention the remake of 1 got. I'll say straight up though, I love the idea of Arrange mode being in play. It's also really cool to see someone else who remembers RE Outbreak. I don't know about mixing 2 and 3 though. That seems like both games would get half the effort and love from capcom than they would if they each got a remake.

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man I really love your write ups on the series always a really great read! Some great ideas in there too!

Mostly just like to see the continuity fixed up a little you know to match up more closely with RE3. the state of the RPD doors and such always bugs me and in RE3 Leon's letter isn't on the desk but it is on 2.. MIND BLOWN Now how did that letter get there?

Really love the ideas of the players actions having a greater effect on the scenarios. What if they went as far as to make them completely interlocking so that you start as Claire and then you reach points where you take over the other character..? I dunno I'm guessing that would totally break the feel of the game and would be more than just a remake at that point. But it does bug me that they are meant to be in the police station at the same time in different areas but yet solve the same puzzles, if they can find a way to make that work I'm in!

If they make this they surely have to do RE3 right? They can't stop there. In a perfect world doing RE2/3 all in one would be great but I totally can't see them doing it just due to the fact that they will make more $$ on separate games as it seems like these remake remaster things are the new trend of the generation.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Inreally hope they come out and say what "style" of game this is going to be soon. My bet would be them pursuing more of the REmake gameplay rather than the 3rd person stuff but you never know. I think the HD remaster that came out held up great and if they were to take that basic formula and start it from the ground up that they could do something pretty special with this.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Jeust

Make it like Resident Evil Remake and 0 but with better graphical fidelity, although maintaining the same lighting.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

just make the controls not suck and I will go on this nostalgic trip with you capcom

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

In honor of Austin's War on (Empty) Nostalgia, I'll say that I agree with pretty much all this. For me to think of this as the new RE2, as in something that could surpass RE2, they'd need to go all out, not just make it all pretty and shit.

The controls are important to me though, since if the perspective of fixed camera angles remains, I want tank controls all over that shit (with the option to switch, like in REmake, I guess) because I can't handle this "holding up on the stick and camera switches -- BAM! now you're travelling right while still holding up" bullshit. Or worse, it sends you into a seizure as soon as the cut happens, like that one God awful segment in Silent Hill Downpour, anyone?

Anyway, in direct violation of Austin's Law, I'd still be giddy as fuck about a simple RE2 remake - as long as it comes with HUNK, because DUH - without any of the extra bells and whistles. Because, guess what, I played RE2 last month, that's a good game, it's not just nostalgia. That said, it will likely exist as a "play once, enjoy and remember" game which would not best the original. Now, on the other hand, if HALF of Yummy's recommendations or an equivalent make it in, that just might be a different story.

Also, fucking get Alyson Court back in here! That was my only gripe with Rev 2. As a Canadian who grew up in the nineties, I have a solid connection to Court not only as Claire but also as Loonette the Clown in The Big Comfy Couch, a character with the most specific superpower ever: the ability to travel at supersonic speeds, but only for the purposes of cleaning up her messes... anyway point is, get her back Capcom!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Yummylee

I had already written my replies but Giant Bomb being the hunk of crap that it be ate up my post.............. Anywhoo,

@hassun said:

I like the idea of turning RE2 and 3 into one game and having the character scenario choices at the start.

Both Nemesis and Mr X being far less predictable and having many more areas they can attack you in is high on my wish list. Can't wait to have either of them burst through a save room wall like the Kool-Aid mascot. You need that relentless pressure, that feeling you're constantly being hunted by an unstoppable foe and that there is no reprieve.

Yes, most definitely. It's one of the few things I really respected about RE0, for how its Save Rooms weren't always entirely safe.

@hassun said:

A revamped and expanded version of the RE3 mercs/Operation Mad Jackal (probably my favourite in the series) would also be very welcome. You can do some crazy stuff with it as well, like integrating RE2 enemies and playable characters (although I am quite fond of the UBCS guys). Imagining getting to the end, only to be confronted by Mr X and Nemesis at the same time!

I'd say RE5's mercs is my favourite RE minigame overall, but I am extremely fond of Operation Mad Jackal all the same. Plus it's the only Mercs iteration where its name actually fits, on the account that you're playing as actual mercenaries. So weird as to why they'd keep the name for the switch to arena combat in RE4.

Also, yes, you read my mind regarding the mixing of enemies from both RE2 & 3 to feature in Mercs. If there was to be a room featuring both a Mr X Tyrant and a Nemesis, then it'd be great if you get them to duke it out just like the two Nemesis' that are already in the mode.

@hassun said:

That reminds me, are there even any female UBCS members? Don't think I've ever seen one. Might be cool to have one in Mercs at least.

I don't believe so, certainly not in the games anyway. There's some 20 minute, Japanese-only CG movie that centres around a UBCS squad; think there may have been a female UBCS member in there.

@hassun said:

P.S. For the love of god don't make Jill look like a creepy crack addict again.

?

@mortuss_zero said:

My gosh, and I thought I was a huge RE2 fan. I mean, all I really wanted from a remake of 2 was for it to get the same attention the remake of 1 got. I'll say straight up though, I love the idea of Arrange mode being in play. It's also really cool to see someone else who remembers RE Outbreak. I don't know about mixing 2 and 3 though. That seems like both games would get half the effort and love from capcom than they would if they each got a remake.

RE Outbreak still has its niche! I remember reading an article about how fans were able to run their own servers for the Japanese version. Always wished I could have played it online, but we never had the capability in Europe for the first one; they finally added it into File 2 but to Hell with that shit.

And I'd like to think that if they really did pack in both RE2 & RE3 into one overall 'Raccoon City remake', they'd give each game the due diligence. Both games aren't really that long after all, and they could use many of the new assets they make for RE2 in RE3, like zombie models for example. Plus to compensate they'd probably cut the scenarios system down to just the one Claire & Leon story.

@ikilledthedj said:

Man I really love your write ups on the series always a really great read! Some great ideas in there too!

Wow, thanks. That's really kind of you to say.

@ikilledthedj said:

Mostly just like to see the continuity fixed up a little you know to match up more closely with RE3. the state of the RPD doors and such always bugs me and in RE3 Leon's letter isn't on the desk but it is on 2.. MIND BLOWN Now how did that letter get there?

lol one of many mysteries of the series to be sure. Though under the idea that they blended RE2 & RE3 together, they could then have the note there on the table, only Jill can't collect it. They could instead have her comment how it's ''just some welcoming note for a 'Leon S. Kennedy''' or something.

@ikilledthedj said:

Really love the ideas of the players actions having a greater effect on the scenarios. What if they went as far as to make them completely interlocking so that you start as Claire and then you reach points where you take over the other character..? I dunno I'm guessing that would totally break the feel of the game and would be more than just a remake at that point. But it does bug me that they are meant to be in the police station at the same time in different areas but yet solve the same puzzles, if they can find a way to make that work I'm in!

I think it would make it seem a little disjointed to have the game switch control between Claire and Leon midstory. They should each instead have their own, independent stories like in the original RE2 to where they'll occasionally cross paths but primarily lead their own adventure.

@ikilledthedj said:

If they make this they surely have to do RE3 right? They can't stop there. In a perfect world doing RE2/3 all in one would be great but I totally can't see them doing it just due to the fact that they will make more $$ on separate games as it seems like these remake remaster things are the new trend of the generation.

If... :P

And I dunno, if they don't incorporate them into one game then maybe? One step at a time and all that. If this remake does well then it'll only seem natural to have RE3 undergo the same treatment - though this 'treatment' is still very much a mystery of course. Though you're right that it'd make more business sense to release them as their own separate games, much like they did with the remake and RE0. On one hand they could better justify a full price release if they're technically remaking two games. If this RE2 remake is to be designed within the survival horror design of old, then I don't think it'll be the sort of game that'll stand at full price anymore.

Ha, yeah, I posted it in the other RE2 remake thread. Though that one was originally posted a month ago, I've just been updating it with relevant information - most recently of course being the actual announcement!

@sackmanjones said:

Inreally hope they come out and say what "style" of game this is going to be soon. My bet would be them pursuing more of the REmake gameplay rather than the 3rd person stuff but you never know. I think the HD remaster that came out held up great and if they were to take that basic formula and start it from the ground up that they could do something pretty special with this.

They must surely be designing it within the original scheme of things. The success of the remake remastering proved that there's an audience for that style of game for starters, and given that they were literally asking the fans what they want then they're certainly aware that people want it to retain the original's gameplay and philosophies.

@bradbrains said:

just make the controls not suck and I will go on this nostalgic trip with you capcom

The controls already don't suck! All it needs is the 180 degree turn and boom - perfection.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

THAT GUY'S A MANIAC.

WHY'D HE BITE ME?!

--

I just want that scene. In all its dumb deadpan glory.

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By Liquidus

I was gonna say I hope it does to RE2 what REmake did to RE1 and turn into a super atmospheric, serious creepy thing but then I realized RE2 is inherently more actiony and crazy than RE1 so fuck it, treat it like RE4 I guess. But they gotta have the classic camera angles and controls, just that tone. Also put in defensive items and maaaaaaaaaaybeeeee Crimson Heads? Crimson Heads were such a fucking brilliant addition to REmake, not only did you have to consider if fighting a zombie was worth risking health and losing ammo but if you were going to return to that area and have to deal with a Crimson Head.

I would want more emphasis on the "zapping system" more things that affect the other character's story as far as hogging resources or alternate paths and whatnot. Maybe have RE3 style choices here and there? I think combining RE2 and RE3 is asking way too much. They really didn't share that many assets outside of the police station which you go to really briefly in RE3 and that's basically a whole other game equivalent to the size of Leon and Claire's scenarios combined. Instead, I would like to see an Ada campaign again.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hassun
    Jimjamjaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@liquidus: They should expand on the crimson head idea with the G virus. Have the occasional dead zombie turn into a mini birkin.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I want Tofu Survivor mode to come back looking great in the new engine and all, but leave Tofu in the old PS1 model.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: youre a crazy person :D. the tank controls were bad then its unplayable now.

I dont care if its an option but give me cube RE controls

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I need to finish the first remake...like right now. I had no excuse to put it down other than I played as Chris rather than Jill and found the inventory stuff annoying as him (well knowing that I had the superior option as Jill in that regard).

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

You monster, you managed to align the forces of the cosmos to get Capcom to announce the remake on the day you posted this blog.

I think Resident Evil 3 can and should stand on its own, though I could see some sort of bonus game or more explicit reference to Jill running around the RPD station in this remake (Maybe throw in a Nemesis cameo or something? Make the street sections a little longer?). I like the idea of throwing in Crimson Heads or equivalent, even if I think the idea of half-lickers is something that should stay on the cutting room floor along with pretty much everything else from Outbreak. And yeah, I'll side with you on saying that the A/B scenario stuff has to be more dynamic if it's gonna hold up in... 2017 or whenever this happens. They could go the extra weird mile and throw in random stuff from RE 1.5 while they're at it. Handheld grenades? Body Armor? A T-Virus infected Gorilla? Ok, maybe not that last one.

I guess in terms of what I don't want to see, I don't want it to go up its own ass trying to connect itself with anything past RE3 (I will also accept a reference or two aimed at how William Birkin really hates Alexia Ashford) or really any of the deep lore quagmires that define the series at this point. Keep it simple, stupid. That's what the remake of 1 did. Maybe I should just sum it up as "Make it like the remake of 1, despite it being 13 years later and a lot of the people who worked on said remake no longer working at Capcom" Bah, who am I kidding? They're gonna make it a 3rd person shooter.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I wish for Leon S. Kennedy to be in it.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I think Capcom had enough of your blogs and said "Fine! Fuck it, remake RE2 so yummylee gets off our asses."

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

I would be just fine if all they did was give it a new coat of paint and they kept the game-play as it was all along. I just loved RE2. It was, it IS my favorite Resident Evil game. I loved the 4 campaigns, I loved Mr X, Loved the unlockables -Hunk and Tofu-. I just flat out loved RE2. Would happily just replay that game again and again like I did when it was new.

Cheers! :)

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lost_Remnant

Another fantastic write-up Yummylee, your Resident Evil posts are always a blast to read.

Every bullet-point you've hit here on additions they could make sound reasonable and can't really add to it except for one thing. It's the point you make about Leon and Claire both wondering around the RPD at the same time yet are doing roughly the same-things and hardly run into each other. Stuff like that has always bothered me in horror in general, of people always never running into each other unless dictated in the story (I think one of the only times you see Leon and Claire in the same room in the RPD is the STARS office yeah? It's been a while since I've played RE2 so I bet I'm missing another encounter) they could change this up and have them run into each other a little more often, maybe make a boss encounter out of it.

For instance, the Regis licker you mentioned from Outbreak (glad somebody else remembers that twisted thing!) could set up a cool boss battle with the two characters and serve as a good introduction to the monster and prove to the player what a challenge the monster is. Letting the player know how dangerous this creature is first hand and making each encounter with normal zombies thereafter something to not deal with lightly. Have the two of them run into each other in a room and the Regis Licker cuts the power to the room, making it pitch black. Leon and Claire would have to work together to take it down, one would serve as the torch barer with a flashlight trying to spot the creature and the other unloads into it.

The boss would be fast and you'd have to use your ears to try to pinpoint where it is and the boss could have some tells that it's near, if you hear the sound of dripping water (which is actually saliva from the lickers tongue dripping onto the floor near you) means it's an arms length away from you and you either need to run or shoot it immediately to avoid getting attacked. It's something I've thought a little bit about ever since playing Revelations 2 and Moira using the flashlight. The boss fight could be a hassle if the AI is not up to spec and is lousy at using the flashlight to spot the monster. Still, if they made it work it could be a cool addition in my eyes. They could add further moments of maybe the game giving you a randomized chance for the other main character to show up and help you against a random Mr.X attack because they happened to be in the area and investigated the noise.

I'm not a game designer but stuff like that would help give me the feeling of Leon and Claire really working together through out the game. Seeing an RE3 remake bundled with this thing would also be fantastic and could easily justify paying sixty dollars for such a package, at least for me. I'll pay whatever money is required for the RE2 remake because it's easily one of my favorite games of all time, but it would definitely sweeten the pot. I would also like to see if they at least added co-op to the Operation Mad Jackal mode, my friend and I played all the co-op Resident Evil's we could play and did sink a good amount of time into RE5's mercenary mode. Our exploits of him playing Barry Burton and me as Rebecca Chambers when they came out with that mercenaries DLC for RE5 was easily some of the most fun we had. With all that said I'm pretty over the moon with this thing,but I'm going to try to keep my expectations in check. Still, RE2 is one of the few games I've ever really wanted a remake for. It's a cornerstone of my childhood and my entry into the survival horror genre I fell in love with. I hope Capcom does it with the reverence it deserves and I'll admit it's totally selfish but I hope they put the long time fans first in terms of priority.

I certainly want them to add in alternate control schemes to accommodate the people who hate the tank controls, but I want this game to be an Resident Evil-ass Resident Evil game to the core.

@yummylee said:
    However that each of these supposedly small keys took up an entire inventory slot is luuudicrous! So instead, they should stack. Or perhaps you could at least potentially find a key ring item so you can swing them all together as one like a late night security guard.

You just gave me an idea for an extra mode. What if there was a guy running around the RPD, just a normal dude going around room to room getting small keys so he can get out? He doesn't remember which key is the "right one" so he has to get them all to complete his key ring. He has to fight through zombies, lickers, packs of Cerberus, and other horrors just so he can get his damn keys to get out. Better yet, make it an already known character we all know and love, okay maybe that's stretching it but I love the goofy sonofabitch. I'm talking about my man Mark Wilkins from Outbreak. I've already resigned myself to never seeing another outbreak and I very much doubt a remaster but if I can play as that surly bastard one more time I'll be happy. Complete the experience by making my other favorite Outbreak character Jim Chapman the co-op partner and you have the dream mode that nobody asked for but me.

Mark
    Mark "I'm getting too old for this shit" Wilkins

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

I think it would be a better game if you had rocket knee slides like Vanquish. It also shouts out things like an arcade game every single time you do something cool like TRIIIIIPLE KILL and HEADSHOT... or just make RE2 RE4 style, I'd be ok with either. I'm super curious to see what they do now it has been announced. People are generally excited, but it seems like an act of desperation. Square's FF7 remake just seems like giving into demands, this feels more like they've burnt one of their get out of jail cards. I came to the realization, one that I should have come to earlier that Capcom is never going to be Capcom of old ever again.

Mario and Sonic and Leon at the Winter Olympics incoming.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Yummylee

@poobumbutt said:

The controls are important to me though, since if the perspective of fixed camera angles remains, I want tank controls all over that shit (with the option to switch, like in REmake, I guess) because I can't handle this "holding up on the stick and camera switches -- BAM! now you're travelling right while still holding up" bullshit. Or worse, it sends you into a seizure as soon as the cut happens, like that one God awful segment in Silent Hill Downpour, anyone?

Yes, absolutely. I can't stand playing fixed-camera angles with analogue control, always hated it in games such as the original DMC in particular. I find such a control scheme baffling and think tank controls are not only preferable but a better form of control in general for fixed camera angle games like Resident Evil.

@poobumbutt said:

Also, fucking get Alyson Court back in here! That was my only gripe with Rev 2. As a Canadian who grew up in the nineties, I have a solid connection to Court not only as Claire but also as Loonette the Clown in The Big Comfy Couch, a character with the most specific superpower ever: the ability to travel at supersonic speeds, but only for the purposes of cleaning up her messes... anyway point is, get her back Capcom!

I would also like to see Alyson Court return, but it's impossible to tell whether they'll even bother. Not many hold voice actors to characters in RE as iconically as, say, David Hayter and Snake. The series history of constantly changing voice actors for so many of the characters also means Capcom considers them to be replaceable. Alyson Court stood out as, up until Rev 2, she was Claire Redfield. But then she simply proved to be the last in line to be replaced, only after Sally Cahill lost the chance to continue voicing Ada with ORC & RE6.

@officer_falcon said:

I want Tofu Survivor mode to come back looking great in the new engine and all, but leave Tofu in the old PS1 model.

Heh, that'd be funny. With all of the same squeaky voice samples and 'tofu footsteps' at that.

@bradbrains said:

@yummylee: youre a crazy person :D. the tank controls were bad then its unplayable now.

I dont care if its an option but give me cube RE controls

Anyone who legitimately thinks the classic RE games are ''unplayable'' are the true crazies.

@shivermetimbers said:

I need to finish the first remake...like right now. I had no excuse to put it down other than I played as Chris rather than Jill and found the inventory stuff annoying as him (well knowing that I had the superior option as Jill in that regard).

Yes, you should! And boo for giving up on Chris! Pro tip - don't be afraid to put the handgun in the item box, or at least your handgun ammunition. The shotgun soon becomes an ideal zombie killing tool for its chance to destroy the head with a single shot when aimed upward, so it makes for a decent replacement while still sufficing for the larger enemies that may feel a waste to kill with a magnum round.

@arbitrarywater said:

I like the idea of throwing in Crimson Heads or equivalent, even if I think the idea of half-lickers is something that should stay on the cutting room floor along with pretty much everything else from Outbreak.

Hell no, if anything they should be explicitly taking ideas from the Outbreak games. A lot of what those games attempted is still incredibly innovative to this day, especially for Resident Evil. As already mentioned they were the first to let you play with a modern analogue control scheme as well as letting you move & shoot. Even if the games themselves were sort of a misstep in spots (particularly the second) they have a lot of really creative shit bubbling beneath it all that shouldn't be forgotten.

@arbitrarywater said:

. They could go the extra weird mile and throw in random stuff from RE 1.5 while they're at it. Handheld grenades? Body Armor? A T-Virus infected Gorilla? Ok, maybe not that last one.

I would love to see a zombie gorilla in these games. They've already done elephants, lions, and alligators (oh my ect. ect.) before.

@arbitrarywater said:

I guess in terms of what I don't want to see, I don't want it to go up its own ass trying to connect itself with anything past RE3 (I will also accept a reference or two aimed at how William Birkin really hates Alexia Ashford) or really any of the deep lore quagmires that define the series at this point. Keep it simple, stupid.

Yes, they should just simply retell the same story, just with their superior localisation team on board. No harm in adding some tidbits to other events in the series, foreshadowing and what have you to events we already technically know of as fanservice, but keep the core plot intact as is.

Man, would really love to look around an updated STARS office, too. Lotta potential there for all kinds of crazy detail to be placed in every corner - the original RE2 already had a lot going on there with innumerable references to the STARS characters. Be funny if they even put in another hidden film of Rebecca Chambers in a basketball jersey behind Wesker's desk.

@nightriff said:

I think Capcom had enough of your blogs and said "Fine! Fuck it, remake RE2 so yummylee gets off our asses."

lol if only I actually had such influence...

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: Wow, I had no idea about Cahill being replaced in those games; that sucks. Also, you're right, that doesn't bode well for Court's reappearance. I mean, the new actress in Rev 2 was pretty darn good, but, I don't know... Maybe I'm just stubborn. There aren't many games I give enough of a shit about to complain about something as specific as voice acting, but Resident Evil is absolutely one of them.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Great thread as usual Yummy!

My wishlist follows. I mean, I would love love love it if they cut RE2 and RE3 together but I'm just going to assume for the sake of my fragile heart that is not going to happen, and what we are going to get is "just" the second one.

• REmake style: fixed camera angles and pre-rendered environments, widescreen, tank controls, etc
    • Making the game world bigger. Same places, just more rooms, etc. Very much like RE1 mansion but more, so that, like you suggested, Scenario A / B are more different.
    • Character Swapping: Would it be insane if they made this game more like RE0? With insta-swapping and more complex related character puzzles instead of A or B scenario? I don't like it. But wait... do I like it?
    • Some modernized control additions (quick turn around, reloading). I kind of wish we could get a merger of the RE2/RE4 combat. Being able to aim brings a lot more tactics/tension to the game than the auto aim I think, and then you are more responsible for your bullets. Forcing manual aim but still having just a few enemies and a few bullets and a weak melee attack sounds awesome to me. But I guess manual aim and fixed camera angles are probably irreconcilable.
    • A Hard mode. I've often wanted a mode where you can't pause the game. Bringing up the menu is instead a transparency on top of what you are doing instead of a paused menu.
    • A mercenaries mode! Of course.
    • I don't want them to change the story but I feel there are a lot of characters who just pop up for a moment in RE2 that I'd like to stick around longer. Or really what I want is just more cops! More cop dialog. More dead cops. Zombie cops. More living cops. Cops.
    • A bigger difference between Leon and Claire. A bit cliche, I know. What could the differences be other than health or carrying items? Movement speed? Leon has a Cop ID card with access to special rooms?
    • Enhanced Dogs AI. I love dogs in RE. Imagine... you are walking through a hallway. Then the glass cracks! (shit!) And then a dog jumps through it! (shit!) You run to the next room and close the door behind you. But now you are doubly hooped. The door is banging like crazy because the dog is behind it. If it is a wooden door the door can break, permanently connecting the rooms together (happens at least once in REmake I think). Or, if you open the door, the dog is now in the new room with you! You could go crazy with dogs. Like if you kill a zombie and not burn it, not only could it turn into a crimson head, but if a dog eats the zombie... well YOU GOT IT. Crimson Dawg.
    Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

@yummylee:

I should have known that you would know already. I'm just happy for Giant Bomb's biggest RE fan :) Great stuff on your list man, all of it sounds fantastic. To me RE after RE4 is just as different a series as Super Mario Bros was after Mario 64. The Tank control RE is always going to be real RE to me.

I suppose my number one and really only want for RE2 remake is to have it release on PC. As someone who finds surival horror offputting but gets sucked in on occasion, I'd really like to give this series another shot.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another fantastic write-up Yummylee, your Resident Evil posts are always a blast to read.

Ta.

Every bullet-point you've hit here on additions they could make sound reasonable and can't really add to it except for one thing. It's the point you make about Leon and Claire both wondering around the RPD at the same time yet are doing roughly the same-things and hardly run into each other. Stuff like that has always bothered me in horror in general, of people always never running into each other unless dictated in the story (I think one of the only times you see Leon and Claire in the same room in the RPD is the STARS office yeah? It's been a while since I've played RE2 so I bet I'm missing another encounter) they could change this up and have them run into each other a little more often, maybe make a boss encounter out of it.

Yeah, they only directly come into contact with one another once. The STARS office for Leon A / Claire B, and the corridor around the corner from it in the opposite Scenarios. They do occasionally radio one another, but they tend to keep themselves so to speak. And while it is weird as to how they don't end up bumping into each other more often, it's pretty odd as to why they don't simply tag along as a duo in the first place! But then that's because A) they designed the game around a single-player experience, and B) it adds to the B movie nonsensical charm, akin to movie characters going to investigate ''a strange noise'' on their own.

Though this is another aspect that the Outbreak deserves kudos for. There's a few levels (Hellfire from the first Outbreak for example) to where your team is forced to split-up, as they instead traverse different segments of the environment, solving their own set of puzzles, before finally meeting up again later in the level. It's pretty much the exact same design as the Scenarios system, only in real time with actual people controlling the other characters.

For instance, the Regis licker you mentioned from Outbreak (glad somebody else remembers that twisted thing!) could set up a cool boss battle with the two characters and serve as a good introduction to the monster and prove to the player what a challenge the monster is. Letting the player know how dangerous this creature is first hand and making each encounter with normal zombies thereafter something to not deal with lightly. Have the two of them run into each other in a room and the Regis Licker cuts the power to the room, making it pitch black. Leon and Claire would have to work together to take it down, one would serve as the torch barer with a flashlight trying to spot the creature and the other unloads into it.

The boss would be fast and you'd have to use your ears to try to pinpoint where it is and the boss could have some tells that it's near, if you hear the sound of dripping water (which is actually saliva from the lickers tongue dripping onto the floor near you) means it's an arms length away from you and you either need to run or shoot it immediately to avoid getting attacked. It's something I've thought a little bit about ever since playing Revelations 2 and Moira using the flashlight. The boss fight could be a hassle if the AI is not up to spec and is lousy at using the flashlight to spot the monster. Still, if they made it work it could be a cool addition in my eyes. They could add further moments of maybe the game giving you a randomized chance for the other main character to show up and help you against a random Mr.X attack because they happened to be in the area and investigated the noise.

I'm not a game designer but stuff like that would help give me the feeling of Leon and Claire really working together through out the game.

This is largely what I wrote up for my ''Survival Horror Shooter-Vania'' segment, only it was more so as to include a cooperative venue for a more action-orientated game without having the coop take centre stage. Though I do like the idea of you potentially bumping into the alternate character at certain points, but with it always being down to chance.

I would also like to see if they at least added co-op to the Operation Mad Jackal mode, my friend and I played all the co-op Resident Evil's we could play and did sink a good amount of time into RE5's mercenary mode. Our exploits of him playing Barry Burton and me as Rebecca Chambers when they came out with that mercenaries DLC for RE5 was easily some of the most fun we had. With all that said I'm pretty over the moon with this thing,but I'm going to try to keep my expectations in check.

Hmm, never considered that. Even within the gameplay stylings of the classic games coop can fit, especially with the idea of each player scouring different portions of the environment to, in this case, locate more hostages and supplies.

@yummylee said:
    However that each of these supposedly small keys took up an entire inventory slot is luuudicrous! So instead, they should stack. Or perhaps you could at least potentially find a key ring item so you can swing them all together as one like a late night security guard.

You just gave me an idea for an extra mode. What if there was a guy running around the RPD, just a normal dude going around room to room getting small keys so he can get out? He doesn't remember which key is the "right one" so he has to get them all to complete his key ring. He has to fight through zombies, lickers, packs of Cerberus, and other horrors just so he can get his damn keys to get out. Better yet, make it an already known character we all know and love, okay maybe that's stretching it but I love the goofy sonofabitch. I'm talking about my man Mark Wilkins from Outbreak. I've already resigned myself to never seeing another outbreak and I very much doubt a remaster but if I can play as that surly bastard one more time I'll be happy. Complete the experience by making my other favorite Outbreak character Jim Chapman the co-op partner and you have the dream mode that nobody asked for but me.

Mark
    Mark "I'm getting too old for this shit" Wilkins

Ha... Yes, all the way. I too miss the days of yore, with me constantly screaming for somebody to ''HELP MUH PLEEZ''. To Hell with Jim, though. Always so negative, with his constant vocal outbursts of ''my life is shit''. Him running around aimlessly while telling zombies to ''kiss my ass, bitch'' was pretty funny, though...

@yummylee: Wow, I had no idea about Cahill being replaced in those games; that sucks. Also, you're right, that doesn't bode well for Court's reappearance. I mean, the new actress in Rev 2 was pretty darn good, but, I don't know... Maybe I'm just stubborn. There aren't many games I give enough of a shit about to complain about something as specific as voice acting, but Resident Evil is absolutely one of them.

Alyson's certainly interested at the very least, so that's something!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Yummylee

@geraltitude said:

Great thread as usual Yummy!

My wishlist follows. I mean, I would love love love it if they cut RE2 and RE3 together but I'm just going to assume for the sake of my fragile heart that is not going to happen, and what we are going to get is "just" the second one.

• REmake style: fixed camera angles and pre-rendered environments, widescreen, tank controls, etc

Yes.

@geraltitude said:

• Making the game world bigger. Same places, just more rooms, etc. Very much like RE1 mansion but more, so that, like you suggested, Scenario A / B are more different.

Yes.

@geraltitude said:

• Character Swapping: Would it be insane if they made this game more like RE0? With insta-swapping and more complex related character puzzles instead of A or B scenario? I don't like it. But wait... do I like it?

Ehhhhh... nah, I don't think I'd want that. I've never thought RE0's dual-character setup really benefited the game in any particularly meaningful way.

@geraltitude said:

• Some modernized control additions (quick turn around, reloading). I kind of wish we could get a merger of the RE2/RE4 combat. Being able to aim brings a lot more tactics/tension to the game than the auto aim I think, and then you are more responsible for your bullets. Forcing manual aim but still having just a few enemies and a few bullets and a weak melee attack sounds awesome to me. But I guess manual aim and fixed camera angles are probably irreconcilable.

Yes to modern control alternatives. Though as for camera angles & manual aim, that's exactly what RE4's Hookman Build was built as, so there's certainly a chance they potentially go that route to satisfy both audiences... somewhat. May be a bit jarring to switch perspectives like that so often, however; plus it would mean that the game would have to have 3D backgrounds as opposed to pre-rendered.

@geraltitude said:

• A Hard mode. I've often wanted a mode where you can't pause the game. Bringing up the menu is instead a transparency on top of what you are doing instead of a paused menu.

Yes to a Hard mode. The idea of having a mode where you can't pause the game is interesting. I'd say being able to pause the game is generally pretty key to strategising; heading into my inventory upon entering a room with like 4 zombies in there for examples gives me to time to consider what I have and how I should best approach the situation. Not saying that there thusly shouldn't be a no-pause mode, though they would also have to have it so you can browse your inventory while still being able to keep an eye on the action.

@geraltitude said:

• A mercenaries mode! Of course.

Yes.

@geraltitude said:

• I don't want them to change the story but I feel there are a lot of characters who just pop up for a moment in RE2 that I'd like to stick around longer. Or really what I want is just more cops! More cop dialog. More dead cops. Zombie cops. More living cops. Cops.

Yes. Again, I'd like for Marvin Branagh to receive a little more screen time. Maybe Robert Kendo, too. Would provide some extra tension to the proceedings because you know they're going to die... question is when and how.

@geraltitude said:

• A bigger difference between Leon and Claire. A bit cliche, I know. What could the differences be other than health or carrying items? Movement speed? Leon has a Cop ID card with access to special rooms?

I think they already have enough differences between one another courtesy of the unique weapons they each find and locations they'll visit. I suppose that was to act as the contrast to Chris & Jill. Whereas those two each have a more drastic selection of strengths and weaknesses, that's largely in part because they climb the same hurdles; they each originally functioned as the game's difficulty settings basically, with Jill of course being far more accessible than Chris. Whereas in RE2 it's the story that primarily dictates the differences.

@geraltitude said:

• Enhanced Dogs AI. I love dogs in RE. Imagine... you are walking through a hallway. Then the glass cracks! (shit!) And then a dog jumps through it! (shit!) You run to the next room and close the door behind you. But now you are doubly hooped. The door is banging like crazy because the dog is behind it. If it is a wooden door the door can break, permanently connecting the rooms together (happens at least once in REmake I think). Or, if you open the door, the dog is now in the new room with you! You could go crazy with dogs. Like if you kill a zombie and not burn it, not only could it turn into a crimson head, but if a dog eats the zombie... well YOU GOT IT. Crimson Dawg.

Heh... Crimson Dawgs sound like they could be horrifying. I would like to see there be a bigger variety of zombie dog breeds, though. Always with the Dobermans. Let's see some zombie bulldogs, boxers, huskies, pugs! Oh man... zombie pugs... actually they'd probably prove to be a real pain due to their size.

@slag said:

@yummylee:

I should have known that you would know already. I'm just happy for Giant Bomb's biggest RE fan :) Great stuff on your list man, all of it sounds fantastic. To me RE after RE4 is just as different a series as Super Mario Bros was after Mario 64. The Tank control RE is always going to be real RE to me.

I suppose my number one and really only want for RE2 remake is to have it release on PC. As someone who finds surival horror offputting but gets sucked in on occasion, I'd really like to give this series another shot.

Oh, there will absolutely be a PC version. Resident Evil has gotten to be as platform agnostic as you can get these days, with Revelations 2 even making it on the PS3/360.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.