Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 22, 1999

In the third installment of the survival horror series, Jill Valentine must escape the zombie-infected Raccoon City while being hunted down by a genetically-engineered monster called Nemesis.

I offend you by playing old games (Resident Evil 3)

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Edited By ArbitraryWater

Hai Guyz! This is the second of perhaps many semi-reviews of old games. Sure, I did start with the big guns (Goldeneye is kind of an important and popular game), but please bear with me as I talk about games that fall within my rather limited fanboy sphere, namely Resident Evil (and Fire Emblem). Sure, there will be little to no offending going on, at least until I find an old game that is actually mediocre (Don't worry, I have some names in mind), but I think it's a vaguely catchy title.

Anydangways, if you have been on the forums long enough, you know that I am a fan of both the old and the new RE games. However, I don't actually own a Playstation (and I am borrowing a friend's PS2 to play Persona) so I had to get the first three games on platforms other than the one they were developed for. This wasn't a problem with some of the games, as RE1 was ported to the DS and I found the N64 version of RE2. However, Resident Evil 3 for the gamecube is actually hard to find, not to mention expensive. I eventually just gave in and paid $25 for it (which I bought along with Goldeneye) last week. Was it worth the money? READ MORE TO FIND OUT!

IF YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT HOW I FOUND THE GAME, START READING HERE.

Resident Evil 3 has only one scenario and one character, as opposed to the 4 scenario juggernaut of RE2. It added the extremely valuable 180 degree turn to the series, as well as a few weird dodge moves and the gunpowder mechanic that allowed you to create ammo. Oh, and there's a monster man with a rocket launcher who randomly chases you across Raccoon City. He's not very nice. But what do I think of these things?

The single scenario format is ok, there is something to be said about focusing on only one thing. However, I beat it in 3 hours and 40 minutes on my first playthrough, which shows how easy all the puzzles are (except for that frustrating water test puzzle.). The 180 degree turn is helpful, as are the dodge moves and the gunpowder mixing. Yet, by the end of the game I had a crapton of Freeze Rounds and could kill everything in my path with little to no problem. If I recall correctly, Survival Horror is supposed to be about conserving ammo, and if you have 30 freeze rounds and 20 grenade rounds you really don't need to do that. Nemesis however, is a scary dude, and he makes me want to run away in real life.  Not much else needs to be said when that music starts playing and you hear the monster's growl (STARS!). You run. Like a pansy. But he runs faster. The last time Resident Evil made me dread walking around was when there was a crimson head on the other side of the door. So it wins in that respect.

However, the story is weak (even for an RE game) and teh grapikz are not pleasant to look at, but at least the backgrounds and the models are more detailed than the original PS1 game. The music also isn't quite as memorable as some of the other Resident Evil games out there, and the voice acting is definitley not as awesful as RE1 or even 2. It's just kind of bad.

In conclusion (tl;dr), Resident Evil 3 ranks perhaps the lowest of all the classic-style RE games I have played. There's nothing explicitly wrong with it, but the highs aren't as high, and It is shorter. I haven't touched Code Veronica yet, so there still hope to change my mind. Appearently that one is only longer because of all the backtracking, and I hate backtracking. We'll see.

As for now, I am playing Chrono Trigger on the DS, but I don't think I'll finish that any time soon. If any of you reading this blog have an idea of an old game (Old being defined as "Came out before 2002") that I could play and it doesn't cost a bijillion dollars on E-Bay or Amazon (sorry, but that means I'm not doing Planescape:Torment) I would appreciate it. Hopefully someone will read this. The End.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Hai Guyz! This is the second of perhaps many semi-reviews of old games. Sure, I did start with the big guns (Goldeneye is kind of an important and popular game), but please bear with me as I talk about games that fall within my rather limited fanboy sphere, namely Resident Evil (and Fire Emblem). Sure, there will be little to no offending going on, at least until I find an old game that is actually mediocre (Don't worry, I have some names in mind), but I think it's a vaguely catchy title.

Anydangways, if you have been on the forums long enough, you know that I am a fan of both the old and the new RE games. However, I don't actually own a Playstation (and I am borrowing a friend's PS2 to play Persona) so I had to get the first three games on platforms other than the one they were developed for. This wasn't a problem with some of the games, as RE1 was ported to the DS and I found the N64 version of RE2. However, Resident Evil 3 for the gamecube is actually hard to find, not to mention expensive. I eventually just gave in and paid $25 for it (which I bought along with Goldeneye) last week. Was it worth the money? READ MORE TO FIND OUT!

IF YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT HOW I FOUND THE GAME, START READING HERE.

Resident Evil 3 has only one scenario and one character, as opposed to the 4 scenario juggernaut of RE2. It added the extremely valuable 180 degree turn to the series, as well as a few weird dodge moves and the gunpowder mechanic that allowed you to create ammo. Oh, and there's a monster man with a rocket launcher who randomly chases you across Raccoon City. He's not very nice. But what do I think of these things?

The single scenario format is ok, there is something to be said about focusing on only one thing. However, I beat it in 3 hours and 40 minutes on my first playthrough, which shows how easy all the puzzles are (except for that frustrating water test puzzle.). The 180 degree turn is helpful, as are the dodge moves and the gunpowder mixing. Yet, by the end of the game I had a crapton of Freeze Rounds and could kill everything in my path with little to no problem. If I recall correctly, Survival Horror is supposed to be about conserving ammo, and if you have 30 freeze rounds and 20 grenade rounds you really don't need to do that. Nemesis however, is a scary dude, and he makes me want to run away in real life.  Not much else needs to be said when that music starts playing and you hear the monster's growl (STARS!). You run. Like a pansy. But he runs faster. The last time Resident Evil made me dread walking around was when there was a crimson head on the other side of the door. So it wins in that respect.

However, the story is weak (even for an RE game) and teh grapikz are not pleasant to look at, but at least the backgrounds and the models are more detailed than the original PS1 game. The music also isn't quite as memorable as some of the other Resident Evil games out there, and the voice acting is definitley not as awesful as RE1 or even 2. It's just kind of bad.

In conclusion (tl;dr), Resident Evil 3 ranks perhaps the lowest of all the classic-style RE games I have played. There's nothing explicitly wrong with it, but the highs aren't as high, and It is shorter. I haven't touched Code Veronica yet, so there still hope to change my mind. Appearently that one is only longer because of all the backtracking, and I hate backtracking. We'll see.

As for now, I am playing Chrono Trigger on the DS, but I don't think I'll finish that any time soon. If any of you reading this blog have an idea of an old game (Old being defined as "Came out before 2002") that I could play and it doesn't cost a bijillion dollars on E-Bay or Amazon (sorry, but that means I'm not doing Planescape:Torment) I would appreciate it. Hopefully someone will read this. The End.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#2  Edited By ahoodedfigure

If the bajillion is what's keeping you from Planescape, I thought it was easier to find than that.  Unless bajillion means about 60 bucks on the Amazon affiliate fooferingy.

What sort of games would you not mind playing?  It's always weird to help people with suggestions without knowing what their preferences are.  If I suggest something you could easily reject it as being TOO old :)

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @ahoodedfigure said:
    " If the bajillion is what's keeping you from Planescape, I thought it was easier to find than that.  Unless bajillion means about 60 bucks on the Amazon affiliate fooferingy.What sort of games would you not mind playing?  It's always weird to help people with suggestions without knowing what their preferences are.  If I suggest something you could easily reject it as being TOO old :) "
    My preferences? I like everything that does not involve driving or logic puzzles, with a preference to Turn Based Strategy and W-RPGs (Thus my love of everything that New World Computing did, with the exceptions of Heroes IV and Might and Magic IX.) However, I do have a tolerance level for clunky interfaces, unclear directions, and steep learning curves that prevents me from playing VERY OLD RPGs like Eye of the Beholder.
    But as long as what you suggest came out in the 90s, I will probably be able to play it.

EDIT: As for Planescape, being a minor without a steady source of income and the desire to purchase a PS2 (for Persona 4 and the like), I hope you will understand my unwillingness to pay $60 for a game that came out 10 years ago. I will however, pay $2 for the original Thief game. Because I can.
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Akeldama

Resident evil 3 is still one of my favorites. 

RE3 > RE2 
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @Akeldama said:
    " Resident evil 3 is still one of my favorites. 

RE3 > RE2 
    "
    Interesting. I rank RE2 rather low on my list, partially because I played REmake and RE0 first, as well as the fact that I had to play it with a semi-janky N64 controller. But why did you not like it? I'm interested to find out, not to mention this doubles as a bump for my thread.
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Akeldama
    @ArbitraryWater: i played them all on the gamecube when they were ported. I really love resident evil 2 (dont get me wrong) i just prefer the story, environments, characters (i prefer jill to claire) and the constant fear of running into nemesis. 
    Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Snipzor

The way I see it (and I have zero authority to say this by the way), RE3 was the best of the classic series' in terms of gameplay, but wasn't that great for replayability (Zombie dodging far too easy). RE2 being the best in every other field. Introducing us to characters we would meet in other games, as well as establishing the series as something that isn't one big joke after another.

Although in the end, Resident Evil (Remake) will always be the best in the series as a survival horror game. Because I ALWAYS ran out of ammo the first time through.
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#8  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @ArbitraryWater: Dude, Thief!
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Al3xand3r

I liked RE3. It was frowned upon for being more action based and less puzzly than past Resi games but the formula had started growing stale anyway, so the switch to an action focus made it fast paced and more exciting than yet another crawl through corridors while scavenging for ammo and solving weird riddles game. Sure, it didn't beat RE1, but then again, no game could do that, besides the eventual REmake...

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By PureRok

Just download Planescape. It's not like anyone will give a damn. Also, it sucks, so it'll be great for you.

wealllikepie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By wealllikepie

k heres the greatest game of all time be4 2002: CRASH BANDICOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
    oh and of course both of the 1st fallouts (don't get tactics that shit SUCKED)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.