PS2 or Wii

#1 Posted by AndrewGaspar (2418 posts) -

I'm thinking of finally trying this out, but I don't know which version to pick up. I've heard both the PS2 and Wii version have the same, but the Wii has different controls. Also, I'm guessing the Wii version supports 480p and Widescreen. Does the PS2 version?

So, it really comes down to controls. Which controls better?

#2 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

Do you want to do physical work (i.e. waving your arm around) or use a controller. I haven't heard issues with either control schemes.

#3 Posted by SpinCookie (680 posts) -

I played RE4 first on the Gamecube, then on the Wii, and I will never go back.  The Wii aiming and shooting work perfectly, it's very intuitive and I highly recommend it.  If you've played Metroid on Wii than you already know how it will control for the most part.  It works really well.

#4 Posted by Jordan23 (1000 posts) -

You should go with the Nintendo Wii, the console controls like no other.

#5 Posted by Karmum (11517 posts) -

Depends if you want to use the Wii Remote or a standard controller.

#6 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Wii version definitely beats ps2 version.

#7 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

Wii is definitely the best.

#8 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

Wii is better, plus it has some additional content I think (might be wrong tho)

#9 Posted by SpinCookie (680 posts) -
addictedtopinescent said:
"Wii is better, plus it has some additional content I think (might be wrong tho)"
It has more than the gamecube version, same as the ps2, gamecube was missing the Eva missions, Wii and PS2 have those.
#10 Edited by Knives (711 posts) -

Whatever you do, don't buy the PS2 version. If you want the standard controls, buy the Gamecube version. Both the Wii and Gamecube versions have better visuals.

#11 Posted by suneku (2997 posts) -

I thought using the wii mote made it really fun.

#12 Posted by Mac (71 posts) -

The wii-mote gives greater accuracy and faster response times while also removing the frustration of quick-time events, because there's only two possibilities in these events, waggle or a+b. I haven't played the gamecube or ps versions, only having watched some vids of them on youtube, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

#13 Edited by m_rum (128 posts) -

Wii! PS2 version looks like shit in comparison and you can always pop in GC-controller if you don't feel the Wiimote in this game (which is very unlikely because it's freaking awesome).

#14 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@Knives said:
" Whatever you do, don't buy the PS2 version. If you want the standard controls, buy the Gamecube version. Both the Wii and Gamecube versions have better visuals. "
This. The villagers in the PS2 version have triangles for heads, and the Wii and Cube versions control better
#15 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@AgentJ said:
"@Knives said: 
" Whatever you do, don't buy the PS2 version. If you want the standard controls, buy the Gamecube version. Both the Wii and Gamecube versions have better visuals. "
This. The villagers in the PS2 version have triangles for heads, and the Wii and Cube versions control better
"
Also supporting this.  The Wii version controls like a dream and looks far better.  Plus, the Wii version is only $25 from playasia.com so I assumme that it is probably that cheap everywhere.  It would be a mistake not to get the Wii version imo.
#16 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1328 posts) -

I have played on gamecub and wii, Id iimagine ps2 is very similair to gamecube controls. The wii was great, but for some reason I liked the gamecube controls much better. So go for ps2

#17 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -
@AgentJ said:
"
@Knives said:
"
@oldschool said:
"
@AgentJ said:
"@Knives said: 
"
Also supporting this.  The Wii version controls like a dream and looks far better.  Plus, the Wii version is only $25 from playasia.com so I assumme that it is probably that cheap everywhere.  It would be a mistake not to get the Wii version imo.
"

#18 Posted by eclipsesis (1242 posts) -

RE 4 kicks arss on the Wii, i have actually had it for the gamecube,ps2 and Wii (the version on the Wii wasn't mine but i completed it enough times). you can just move the reticule so much easier. and getting headshots and criticles just feels so much better. get the Wii version man,

#19 Posted by Dominoes (36 posts) -

Definitely Wii.

#20 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@Joesy_Wales said:
" Definitely Wii. "
Now see, here's the problem. You bumped an old thread that you could have made into a poll or a new thread. No one would remember. Sad. You could have won the internet, at least, the forums for a while. 

Been bumped none the less. 

The motherfucking Wii is way so much better. I refused to play Resident Evil 5 because of the controls.
#21 Posted by JoyfullOFrockets (1177 posts) -

Hah, I just played this on my PS2 yesterday. Haven't played any other version, however it's safe to say PS2 isn't the definitive way to experience it.

#22 Edited by valrog (3671 posts) -
@Knives said:

PS2 version has more content than Gamecube, so if you could keep your graphics whore inside you on a leash, visuals shouldn't be the priority. We have Crysis for that kind of thing.
#23 Edited by JoyfullOFrockets (1177 posts) -

This video pretty much shows all you need to know.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.