Should I bump this up on my 'to buy' list?

#1 Edited by iDarktread (1206 posts) -

I still haven't played this game. Hell, I haven't played any of the Resident Evil games. Resident Evil 4 for Wii is now under twenty dollars and I am interested in playing it. However, there are other, slightly cheaper games such as God Hand, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Star Fox Adventures, Killer7, and No More Heroes 1&2 that I was looking forward to purchasing, too. Of course I'm aware of the praise that Resident Evil 4 has received in the past, especially the Wii version, but can any of you vouch for it personally? 
 
@rudeboy217 said: 

" I would buy Resident Evil 4 "  

@Aragorn123 said: 

" I agree. Resident Evil 4 is an absolute classic on any platform. "    

@Killroycantkill said: 

" 1) Resident Evil 4 (Wii version) 2) God Hand 3) Killer7 "

@crono11 said: 

" RE4 is one of the greatest games of all time. "

@IBurningStar said: 

" Why have you not played RE4 yet? Get on that right now! It is a great game and is arguably one of the most influential games of the past decade. "

@Melvargh said: 

" Resident Evil 4 is flawless. Not only is it one of the finest games of all time, it helped shape the third person shooter as we know it today.  "

@udabenshen said: 

" Resident Evil 4 is one of the most important games in the development of the modern shooter/action game. An absolute must play. "

@Make_Me_Mad said: 

" RE4 is goddamn amazing, and it actually made the inventory juggling RE was derided for fun. "

@Bloodgraiv3 said: 

" Yes you should, RE4 is incredible.  "

#2 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1766 posts) -

I would buy Resident evil 4 over all of those other games. I loved it when it was first released on Gamecube and the Wii version is even better.

#3 Edited by SpartanAmbrose (832 posts) -
@rudeboy217 said:

" I would buy Resident evil 4 over all of those other games. I loved it when it was first released on Gamecube and the Wii version is even better. "

I agree. Resident Evil 4 is an absolute classic on any platform.
#4 Posted by Killroycantkill (1383 posts) -

I would save Killer 7,God Hand, and No More Heroes overtake Resident Evil 4 but that's just me. But if you're getting the Wii version just buy it, that version is one of the few Wii games that I though it actually was better than the other console port of x game. 
 
In this list basically go:
1) Resident Evil 4 (Only first if Wii version, otherwise 5th)
2) God Hand
3) Killer 7 
4) No More Heroes
5) Paper Mario
6) Don't even buy Star Fox Adventures

#5 Posted by spankingaddict (2659 posts) -

You NEED to play Re4 and The Thousand-Year Door.
 
Star Fox Adventures is worth playing too...

#6 Posted by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
@Killroycantkill said:
" 6) Don't even buy Star Fox Adventures "
Star Fox Assault changed my life, and I really enjoyed what I played of Star Fox Adventure years ago. 
 
Aside from that sneaky comment of yours, that was pretty much my list exactly.
#7 Posted by Jadeskye (4366 posts) -

i played RE5 a week ago, i've never played any of the RE games like yourself and i absolutely hated it. not for me.

#8 Posted by Crono11 (1640 posts) -

RE4 is one of the greatest games of all time. You owe it to yourself to play it. 

#9 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

Yes, I can still go back and play that game, it's a game you definitely need to play one day.

#10 Edited by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
@jadeskye: Resident Evil 5 was, supposedly, a very disappointing game.
#11 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5107 posts) -
@iDarktread said:
" @jadeskye: Resident Evil 5 was, supposedly, a very disappointing game. "
I say its great.  4 is much better though.  
#12 Posted by pigmartyr (211 posts) -

i guess the real question is why are you just now asking about RE4? You've only now been able to find a wii or game cube version for $20 recently? Go ahead and do yourself a favor and grab this, RE-make, RE2, Code Veronica, and Eternal Darkness and lock yourself in a room until these are completed. 

#13 Posted by hedfone (1749 posts) -

PLAY ALL THOSE GAMES

#14 Posted by Icemael (6312 posts) -

Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition is about as good as God Hand, and God Hand is far better than all the other games you listed.

#15 Edited by Evilsbane (4538 posts) -

Yea of every game you listed RE4 is prob the best, honestly I'm really am not a fan but I made time to play RE4 and even though its kinda old you see what made it special for the time, its a wonderful game.

#16 Edited by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
@pigmartyr said:

" i guess the real question is why are you just now asking about RE4? You've only now been able to find a wii or game cube version for $20 recently? Go ahead and do yourself a favor and grab this, RE-make, RE2, Code Veronica, and Eternal Darkness and lock yourself in a room until these are completed.  "

To be honest, when I said I had never played a Resident Evil game before, I meant, like, that I'd never even been in the same room with an actively playable Resident Evil game before. 
 
Never, ever. 
 
I actually just remembered about that Eternal Darkness game today, and that's fairly inexpensive as well. Damn, I don't have enough moneys for all of these games!
#17 Posted by IBurningStar (2160 posts) -

Why have you not played RE4 yet? Get on that right now! It is a great game and is arguably one of the most influential games of the past decade.

#18 Posted by fox01313 (5061 posts) -

Definitely rent it if new to RE series, before RE4 the gameplay was pretty much the same but 4 is where the controls got changed quite a lot. You can probably find the pc versions of the early RE games to try out unless wanting to play it on a console.

#19 Posted by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
@Icemael said:
" Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition is about as good as God Hand, and God Hand is far better than all the other games you listed. "
Deciding on a single game to purchase is becoming far more difficult that I had previously anticipated. 
  
  
    
#20 Posted by Melvargh (489 posts) -
Resident Evil 4 is flawless. 
So, yes, you should bump it up. Not only is it one of the finest games of all time, it helped shape the third person shooter as we know it today. 
#21 Posted by Zippedbinders (983 posts) -

I'd say of all the games you listed, RE4 and Paper Mario: TTYD have the greatest learning curve to fun ratio. For the time you'd be willing to spend on any of those games, I'm fairly certain you'd get the most enjoyment out of those two. 
 
And I fucking love God Hand and No More Heroes.

#22 Posted by hanktherapper (374 posts) -

No, you shouldn't buy it. Resident Evil games are not good. 

#23 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5107 posts) -
@hanktherapper said:
" No, you shouldn't buy it. Resident Evil games are not good.  "
C'mon.
#24 Posted by RockAction (376 posts) -

 
play resi 1 and 4 definitely 
 
if your choice is RE4 or any game, it pretty much wins, its an excellent game 
 
can't speak much for the Wii version, never played it, played it on PS2 but im sure its good 

#25 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5107 posts) -
@RockAction said:
"  play resi 1 and 4 definitely  if your choice is RE4 or any game, it pretty much wins, its an excellent game  can't speak much for the Wii version, never played it, played it on PS2 but im sure its good  "
The Wii was the gamecube version but with the PS2 add ons so it had the real time cutscenes the gamecube version has and the Wii controls were great.  Not sure why I'm telling you this though.
#26 Posted by RockAction (376 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos said:
" @RockAction said:
"  play resi 1 and 4 definitely  if your choice is RE4 or any game, it pretty much wins, its an excellent game  can't speak much for the Wii version, never played it, played it on PS2 but im sure its good  "
The Wii was the gamecube version but with the PS2 add ons so it had the real time cutscenes the gamecube version has and the Wii controls were great.  Not sure why I'm telling you this though. "
No thats interesting, thanks 
 
i didnt know and i dont think i'm going to rebuy RE4 for wii, i enjoy the ps2 controller with it 
 
what do you mean real time cutscenes, i remember mostly real time cutscenes i think, or at least worked up in-engine stuff
#27 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5107 posts) -
@RockAction said:
" @SethPhotopoulos said:
" @RockAction said:
"  play resi 1 and 4 definitely  if your choice is RE4 or any game, it pretty much wins, its an excellent game  can't speak much for the Wii version, never played it, played it on PS2 but im sure its good  "
The Wii was the gamecube version but with the PS2 add ons so it had the real time cutscenes the gamecube version has and the Wii controls were great.  Not sure why I'm telling you this though. "
No thats interesting, thanks  i didnt know and i dont think i'm going to rebuy RE4 for wii, i enjoy the ps2 controller with it  what do you mean real time cutscenes, i remember mostly real time cutscenes i think, or at least worked up in-engine stuff "
Its been a while but I think the gamecube version was the one that would allow costumes in the cutscenes and the Ps2 used FMV for a lot of it since it was more data on a single disc.  I could be wrong though.
#28 Edited by RockAction (376 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos said:

" @RockAction said:

" @SethPhotopoulos said:
" @RockAction said:
"  play resi 1 and 4 definitely  if your choice is RE4 or any game, it pretty much wins, its an excellent game  can't speak much for the Wii version, never played it, played it on PS2 but im sure its good  "
The Wii was the gamecube version but with the PS2 add ons so it had the real time cutscenes the gamecube version has and the Wii controls were great.  Not sure why I'm telling you this though. "
No thats interesting, thanks  i didnt know and i dont think i'm going to rebuy RE4 for wii, i enjoy the ps2 controller with it  what do you mean real time cutscenes, i remember mostly real time cutscenes i think, or at least worked up in-engine stuff "
Its been a while but I think the gamecube version was the one that would allow costumes in the cutscenes and the Ps2 used FMV for a lot of it since it was more data on a single disc.  I could be wrong though. "
Yeh i think i remember now, cause i remember playing through it again with the armor costume i think, and it would change back to the jacket for the cutscenes 
 
might get it for Wii actually, its a great game, sounds like it would be worth it to try the new control scheme 
 
never bothered with RE5 though can anyone recommend that? played the demo and it seems slow, i think i galvanize RE4 because of nostalgia but i never remember it being that slow; think it was the difference in controller or just that it seemed dated whereas in my mind RE4 was like a peak for gaming at that time
#29 Posted by hanktherapper (374 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos said:
" @hanktherapper said:
" No, you shouldn't buy it. Resident Evil games are not good.  "
C'mon. "
Seriously. I have never enjoyed a Resident Evil game.
#30 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5107 posts) -
@hanktherapper said:
" @SethPhotopoulos said:
" @hanktherapper said:
" No, you shouldn't buy it. Resident Evil games are not good.  "
C'mon. "
Seriously. I have never enjoyed a Resident Evil game. "
Neither have I... Until 4.
#31 Posted by udabenshen (178 posts) -

Resident Evil 4 is one of the most important games in the development of the modern shooter/action game.  An absolute must play.  Its long too, so a great bang for your buck.  DO IT.

#32 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3020 posts) -

RE4 is goddamn amazing, and it actually made the inventory juggling RE was derided for fun.  Do you know how long I spent micromanaging my inventory so that I could take the maximum amount of ammo with me?  Upwards of 4 hours playing Tetris with my hand-cannons and grenade launchers.   A blast to play through, and hands down the best Resident Evil game in the series.

God Hand is also pretty much perfect, if you can take brutally punishing difficulty.

#33 Posted by Slax (894 posts) -

I tried playing RE 4 on PS2 and couldn't stand the controls. It was so bad that I played for like 30 minutes and gave up.
 
But maybe the Wii version is better in that department while maintaining the fun everyone has?

#34 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

Yes you should, RE4 is incredible. 
#35 Edited by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
@rudeboy217 said:

" I would buy Resident Evil 4 "  

@Aragorn123 said:

" I agree. Resident Evil 4 is an absolute classic on any platform. "    

@Killroycantkill said:

" 1) Resident Evil 4 (Wii version) 2) God Hand 3) Killer7 "

@crono11 said:

" RE4 is one of the greatest games of all time. "

@IBurningStar said:

" Why have you not played RE4 yet? Get on that right now! It is a great game and is arguably one of the most influential games of the past decade. "

@Melvargh said:

" Resident Evil 4 is flawless. Not only is it one of the finest games of all time, it helped shape the third person shooter as we know it today.  "

@udabenshen said: 

" Resident Evil 4 is one of the most important games in the development of the modern shooter/action game. An absolute must play. "

@Make_Me_Mad said: 

" RE4 is goddamn amazing, and it actually made the inventory juggling RE was derided for fun. "

@Bloodgraiv3 said:

" Yes you should, RE4 is incredible.  "

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.