Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 4

Game » consists of 39 releases. Released Jan 11, 2005

Special agent Leon S. Kennedy travels to rural Spain to rescue the U.S. President's kidnapped daughter in Resident Evil's sixth canonical installment. It is notable for a lengthy development cycle which involved a complete overhaul of the series' established gameplay mechanics.

Should i get Resident Evil 4 for PC ?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By AhmadMetallic

After seeing this game voted pretty goddamn high here and wondering why i never touched a Resident Evil game and barely know what they're about, i looked it up to check it out before going out to buy it. 
    but then i read that the PC port is so bad that it basically turns it into a bad game. so should i go for it or is it unbearable ?

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By guiseppe

Thats more or less the case the last time I played it. I don't know if it's been updated at this point or not, but if not, I'd say skip it. Unless of course you can play it on one of the consoles its available on, because it really is a great game.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic

duplicate threads by mistake, i requested the other one be locked. 

Berezov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Berezov

Play the Wii version if you can.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Azteck

Hahahaha oh god. Probably one of the worst ports I've seen in my life.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AhmadMetallic

any more opinions? 

@HitmanAgent47 said:

"

Make sure you use the ultimate patch. It would look almost current gen for the pc version.  

http://re4communitypatch.weebly.com/downloads.html     "
    looking almost current gen is nice, but what about the rotten gameplay or whatever it is that made the port stink ?
    Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By Heartagram

I haven't touched the PC version but I played all the way through both the Gamecube and Wii Versions. Both are great and I bet you could find a gamecube version for like 2 dollars. Just a thought.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I think the Wii version had the extras of the Ps2 version and the better loading and graphics of the Gamecube Version.  I can't say much about the PC version other then I heard it was a terrible port.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MikkaQ

Dear god, no. It's such a shoddy-ass port, virtually impossible to control. Just get the Wii version, it's the best one of that game. If not, Gamecube or PS2, just avoid the PC version like the plague.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Jeust
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " any more opinions? 

@HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

Make sure you use the ultimate patch. It would look almost current gen for the pc version.  

http://re4communitypatch.weebly.com/downloads.html     "
    looking almost current gen is nice, but what about the rotten gameplay or whatever it is that made the port stink ? "
    As you have the ps3, you could always look for the RE4 PS2 Platinum Edition. 
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Jeust:  its a slims. slims dont play ps2 games DO THEY ?
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jeust
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @Jeust:  its a slims. slims dont play ps2 games DO THEY ? "
    They have software compatibility. Still you should check how it plays out with RE4. :p
    UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By UncleDisco
    @Jeust said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    They have software compatibility. Still you should check how it plays out with RE4. :p "
    um.. no they don't...
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jeust
    @FlemmingM said:

" @Jeust said:

" @Ahmad_Metallic said:

They have software compatibility. Still you should check how it plays out with RE4. :p "
    um.. no they don't... "
    Yeah, apparently not.

Then you should play the PC version. For what I've played it, it's not bad. Weaker than the rest of the versions, discarding the Iphone one, but plays well and has good graphics. 
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Okay maybe I didn't quite make my point clear enough of how good does the pc version look with the ultimate patch. Look at the textures, it's unreal.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @HitmanAgent47:  that looks great, thanks. do you have anything to say about gameplay or performance, hitman? visuals alone wont fix a shitty game bro
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#19  Edited By Icemael

You should get the Wii version. Don't have a Wii? Buy one. It's worth it just for that port.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CL60
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:

" @HitmanAgent47:  that looks great, thanks. do you have anything to say about gameplay or performance, hitman? visuals alone wont fix a shitty game bro "

Ignore him, all he cares about is graphics, in any game ever. The port is complete garbage, it doesn't even have mouse support. You have to turn and aim and shoot all with the keyboard.
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#21  Edited By alistercat

I am curious about controls. If I could play it with a 360 controller on PC as if it were a gamecube game or something I would be more than happy to get the PC version. Thats the main issue for me.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Ahmad_Metallic: Well there is no controller support as I am aware, however you have to download controller mods to play the game with the xbox 360's controller and to get the quick time events as the xbox 360's controller buttons. Most of the game is played with the keyboard only, there is also a mouse mod or patch. Unless you reprogram the controller yourself with xpadder or some other program. The game runs okay, by default without any of the graphical patches it looks worst than the ps2 version. The graphics are bland and stuff.  

The gameplay is really good, probally one of the best last gen games you ever played. I mean go on gamerankings and look at the score. If you can get another version of the game, I recommend that as your first choice, however this game is really good and you should definetly play it.
    EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#23  Edited By EuanDewar

The Wii version is certainly the best, all the Bonus stuff plus the most accurate of all the control systems (seriously they get it so right yet every wii FPS gets it so wrong!) 

If you dont have a Wii but have a PS2 or a gamecube lying around i'd get that version, its a fantastic game either way just don't get the PC version.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @HitmanAgent47:  i have a Dualshock 3, using a program called MotionInJoy it emulates a X360 controller and works as one in all the games. 

do u think i should get the controller mod or the mouse-enabling mod (since its a shooter i prefer to use the mouse) ? and could you point me in their direction (the mouse mods/patches)? thanks !
    GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By GunnBjorn
    @CL60 said:
    "@Ahmad_Metallic said:

" @HitmanAgent47:  that looks great, thanks. do you have anything to say about gameplay or performance, hitman? visuals alone wont fix a shitty game bro "

Ignore him, all he cares about is graphics, in any game ever. The port is complete garbage, it doesn't even have mouse support. You have to turn and aim and shoot all with the keyboard. "

Didn't @HitmanAgent47 say it's the 'ultimate' patch? It has PC controller and mouse-support! The visuals are nice and sharp (as depicted above). Whatever went wrong with the port is now fixed. I've played it with the mouse and it works really well. With this patch the PC version of RE4 is the best.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Ahmad_Metallic: the mouse patch doesn't work that well btw, the aim is way too sensitive. Do you have a wii, gamecube or ps2 with component cables? I recommend that over this port since it's totally broken. You can only fix so much with these mods and patches.   

I'm not sure if it supports the xbox 360's controller by default, I have another pc gamepad which I remapped the buttons with a program. Maybe someone else can verifiy the xbox 360 controller support. I think it might support the xbox 360's controller.  

I found some mods and patches here. However I still recommend other versions even if you can't make it as sharp looking because this version is a last resort which requires quite a bit of work to make it partially playable.  http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/931851-resident-evil-4/36967973    
    neozeke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By neozeke
    @GunnBjorn: @HitmanAgent47:  

/agree  

My friend played through it on the Ps2, wii, and pc. Initially he said they pc port was pretty bad but after using the mouse mod and ultimate patch he said it was probably better than the ps2 version. 
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CL60
    @neozeke said:
    " @GunnBjorn: @HitmanAgent47:   /agree   My friend played through it on the Ps2, wii, and pc. Initially he said they pc port was pretty bad but after using the mouse mod and ultimate patch he said it was probably better than the ps2 version.  "
    The mouse mod is awful. It barely works.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29  Edited By Geno

After beating both RE4 and RE5 several times, I'd just recommend you get RE5. It has pretty much everything that makes RE4 great and more, and it's much better looking. The PC version also has proper mouse support without additional software. It's not a very demanding game either. RE4 was great for its time, and a classic, but I wouldn't call it a "must play" at this point in time.  

@HitmanAgent47: Your heart's in the right place on this one, but if you don't have a screenshot without extreme amounts of artifacting don't post them to show off a game please.

neozeke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By neozeke
    @CL60: I tried it out, it wasn't the absolute worst. Still enjoyable. 
    Mikewrestler5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Mikewrestler5

Great, now I want to play RE4 again. 
     It's a shame that RE5 was terrible when compared to RE4.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Mikewrestler5: totally agreed, re5 sort of sucks. 87-86% gamerankings. Even the wii version of resident evil 4 is 91% and last gen stuff was 95%. They turned it into a pure action game.  

Edit: I didn't read every post in this thread, some of them I completely ignored, learn to use fraps without the free bmp only version like a noob would. These screenshots I posted was from my last monitor at X1050 years ago resized, i'm sure it would be sharper now if I used the free version of fraps and only could post at bmp before I have to convert it if I couldn't figure out how to take jpegs by default since someone made a thread about how they can't record video on the free version. I'm talking to myself and no one else I am aware of. I don't need to deal with narcissistic personality disorders which tends to be insultive. You can't talk to someone or discuss anything with someone who already made up their mind they are always right getting angry and testy about it if they are challenged, like resident evil 5 is better derp, is just a misconception as usual according to everyone else and gamerankings who actually played the old resident evil games which tends to be more scary and isn't an action game who didn't started gaming this or last gen. Talking to myself because I don't need to get wrapped up into other ppl's mental issues they have no control of,  i'm sure their heart is in the right place but I can't have a discussion without being insulted by someone's ego so it's better not to.

It should look a slightly bit cleaner full size, even if it's just a bit cleaner. You can see the cloth detail unlike smaller screenshots some ppl like to post lacking detail. There isn't a version that looks as detailed as this so i'm not worried about the screenshots. I lost the disc for this game so I can't update the screenshots from years ago. Regardless i'm not using .bmps because they take too much work to post and take up too much memory, slowing everything down where I will get falsely blamed for it while others aren't taking responsibility for it.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CL60
    @Geno said:
    " After beating both RE4 and RE5 several times, I'd just recommend you get RE5. It has pretty much everything that makes RE4 great and more, and it's much better looking. The PC version also has proper mouse support without additional software. It's not a very demanding game either. RE4 was great for its time, and a classic, but I wouldn't call it a "must play" at this point in time.  

@HitmanAgent47: Your heart's in the right place on this one, but if you don't have a screenshot without extreme amounts of artifacting don't post them to show off a game please. "
    I agree, but people would disagree with us. Most people think RE5 is terrible compared to RE4, something, I don't understand at all.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Geno
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    Edit: I didn't read every post in this thread, some of them I completely ignored, learn to use fraps without the free bmp only version like a noob would. These screenshots I posted was from my last monitor at X1050 years ago, i'm sure it would be sharper now if I used the free version of fraps and only could post at bmp before I have to convert it if I couldn't figure out how to take jpegs by default. I'm talking to myself and no one else I am aware of. "
    1. Stop being such a coward, address people directly. If you're so afraid of getting called on your bullshit, stop spewing so much of it.
    2. I have the paid version of FRAPS. 
    3. Jpeg artifacting is now a good thing? Derp.
    mm665

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mm665

I was playing it one year ago on my PC and it was pretty good with some controller and texture mod (can't remember name).

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @mm665: probally the Albert Marin Garau texture patch. I tried that before and they simply used the gamecube's textures with higher rez textures. It doesn't look good as the ultimate patch however it looks like a sharp gamecube version of the game.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Geno
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " @Mikewrestler5: totally agreed, re5 sort of sucks. 87-86% gamerankings. Even the wii version of resident evil 4 is 91% and last gen stuff was 95%.
    You're comparing scores for games that are years apart (and that don't differ by that much in the first place). By your logic, the original Perfect Dark (with Metacritic 97) is pretty much better than any first person shooter released in the modern era; this is proved untrue, with Perfect Dark being re-released as an HD upgrade to the XBL Marketplace as a novelty game, not anywhere in the same league as a full retail release. Your comparison makes zero sense. 

@HitmanAgent47 said:
     Edit: I didn't read every post in this thread, some of them I completely ignored, learn to use fraps without the free bmp only version like a noob would. These screenshots I posted was from my last monitor at X1050 years ago resized, i'm sure it would be sharper now if I used the free version of fraps and only could post at bmp before I have to convert it if I couldn't figure out how to take jpegs by default since someone made a thread about how they can't record video on the free version. I'm talking to myself and no one else I am aware of.
    1. Firstly I would like to express how your stalking me is still very goddamn creepy and I wish you would stop.  
    2. Again, I have the paid version of FRAPS. Your creepy memory of some thread I made a long time ago doesn't refute this at all. FYI, to add to your apparently comprehensive stalker profile on me, I bought FRAPS shortly after.   
    3. Jpeg artifacting, stop being a coward, as per my above post.   

@HitmanAgent47 said:
    You can't talk to someone who already made up their mind they are always right getting angry about it if they are challenged, like resident evil 5 is better derp, is just a misconception as usual according to everyone else and gamerankings who actually played the old resident evil games which tends to be more scary and isn't an action game.
    Like I said, I've beaten both RE4 and RE5 several times, and I've also provided my reasons. All that you have provided is the irrelevant gamerankings scores, and that RE5 has "more action". RE4 had more action than its predecessors and it turned out to be the best game in the series up to that point, so it's hardly a valid complaint that RE5 has "more action". 

@HitmanAgent47 said:
    Talking to myself because I don't need to get wrapped up into other ppl's mental issues they have no control of. "
    Seems like you already have your plate full with mental issues.
    mm665

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mm665
    @HitmanAgent47: Yeah, that motherfucker.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @mm665: Yeah I thought so. :)

I didn't read every post in this thread, I do have a great memory of things. Resident evil 4 is on the wii so it's current gen too with new controls and still holds up. I can't regard the game as last gen if it's being sold as a current gen product with new motion controls. It's rated at 91% on gamerankings right now for the reconfigured wii mote version so it still holds up today. I think that game is really good and resident evil 5 is too much of an action game without any scares or atmosphere because it's all sterile and not even scary at all. I have no dianosed mental issue at all, talking to myself. Until I have a real dianoses of one or until they find one, I don't want to create misconceptions. I don't reply to ppl with any percieved mental issues because they tend to be hostile. I'm talking to myself thinking out loud, it's either that or get insulted by them all day because they think they are right, which isn't even a good choice for me because they won't listen to my opinion over theirs without getting testy. I have nothing to add and i'll keep my tactic of keeping my distance because it's the best choice of talking to egotistical individuals who tends not to listen. Nothing about that will ever change and that's their problem. It's so much work deleting stuff from my inbox, I don't have to listen to these misconceptions. The op should know everything he needs to know about the pc version in every detail.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jeust
    @CL60 said:

" @Geno said:

" After beating both RE4 and RE5 several times, I'd just recommend you get RE5. It has pretty much everything that makes RE4 great and more, and it's much better looking. The PC version also has proper mouse support without additional software. It's not a very demanding game either. RE4 was great for its time, and a classic, but I wouldn't call it a "must play" at this point in time.  

@HitmanAgent47: Your heart's in the right place on this one, but if you don't have a screenshot without extreme amounts of artifacting don't post them to show off a game please. "

I agree, but people would disagree with us. Most people think RE5 is terrible compared to RE4, something, I don't understand at all. "
    @Geno said:

" @HitmanAgent47 said:

" @Mikewrestler5: totally agreed, re5 sort of sucks. 87-86% gamerankings. Even the wii version of resident evil 4 is 91% and last gen stuff was 95%.

You're comparing scores for games that are years apart (and that don't differ by that much in the first place). By your logic, the original Perfect Dark (with Metacritic 97) is pretty much better than any first person shooter released in the modern era; this is proved untrue, with Perfect Dark being re-released as an HD upgrade to the XBL Marketplace as a novelty game, not anywhere in the same league as a full retail release. Your comparison makes zero sense. 

@HitmanAgent47

said:

Edit: I didn't read every post in this thread, some of them I completely ignored, learn to use fraps without the free bmp only version like a noob would. These screenshots I posted was from my last monitor at X1050 years ago resized, i'm sure it would be sharper now if I used the free version of fraps and only could post at bmp before I have to convert it if I couldn't figure out how to take jpegs by default since someone made a thread about how they can't record video on the free version. I'm talking to myself and no one else I am aware of.

1. Firstly I would like to express how your stalking me is still very goddamn creepy and I wish you would stop.  
    2. Again, I have the paid version of FRAPS. Your creepy memory of some thread I made a long time ago doesn't refute this at all. FYI, to add to your apparently comprehensive stalker profile on me, I bought FRAPS shortly after.   
    3. Jpeg artifacting, stop being a coward, as per my above post.   

@HitmanAgent47

said:

You can't talk to someone who already made up their mind they are always right getting angry about it if they are challenged, like resident evil 5 is better derp, is just a misconception as usual according to everyone else and gamerankings who actually played the old resident evil games which tends to be more scary and isn't an action game.

Like I said, I've beaten both RE4 and RE5 several times, and I've also provided my reasons. All that you have provided is the irrelevant gamerankings scores, and that RE5 has "more action". RE4 had more action than its predecessors and it turned out to be the best game in the series up to that point, so it's hardly a valid complaint that RE5 has "more action". 

@HitmanAgent47

said:

Talking to myself because I don't need to get wrapped up into other ppl's mental issues they have no control of. "

Seems like you already have your plate full with mental issues. "
    Well, it looks like we're back to the good ol' days, and hitman trolling. ahah 

I flagged both of your hateful posts. If you want to post something, post according to the topic, not trash another user's opinion based on your own agendas.  

About Resident Evil 5, in my opinion (and what seems to be the consensus) it sucks in single player. In co-op it manages to work great, but solo with a faulty AI and a cumbersome inventory system it feels mediocre. 
    tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By tmthomsen
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:

" After seeing this game voted pretty goddamn high here and wondering why i never touched a Resident Evil game and barely know what they're about, i looked it up to check it out before going out to buy it. but then i read that the PC port is so bad that it basically turns it into a bad game. so should i go for it or is it unbearable ? "

If you decide to play in on the PC, you ought to get a dual analog controller. Although it has mouse support, it's so rubbish I'd rather aim with the arrow keys.
    Azeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Azeo

So, here's the deal. I played through the pc version, and let me tell you, it's horrible. The people who ported it never put in mouse control, making the aiming use the number pad, which completely changed the game. Suddenly, everything seemed like it was moving too fast, even if the enemies do travel at about two meters per hour. Besides that, the graphics and everything was fine. But man, the control was horrible. There was a community patch out there that fixed the mouse, but I found it didn't really work that well. There was also another one for pad support, but it also wasn't that great. Of course, all this could have changed by now, as I did play it about three years ago.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#43  Edited By flaminghobo

Is the Xbox 360 controller supported at all? If it is, then I'd definitely check the port out.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By onarum

Imo the Wii version is the definitive RE4 experience, plays fantastically with the wiimote, makes all the shooting a lot more satisfying.

So if you have a wii get that instead I say.

Also it's very action oriented in contrast with it's predecessors,  but still a great game, so it's really easy to get into it, no need to have prior knowledge of the series at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.