Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 4

Game » consists of 39 releases. Released Jan 11, 2005

Special agent Leon S. Kennedy travels to rural Spain to rescue the U.S. President's kidnapped daughter in Resident Evil's sixth canonical installment. It is notable for a lengthy development cycle which involved a complete overhaul of the series' established gameplay mechanics.

Wii Version Of Resident Evil 4 Sells Strong For Capcom

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

No Caption Provided
    Capcom has updated their million sellers list, and what's seen is a strong performance from the Wii edition of Resident Evil 4. The Wii version has done exceptionally well at retail despite appearing on the Playstation 2, PC and Gamecube prior. Total sales on the Wii are at 1,600,000 (- as of the end of June 2009), passing numbers for the GameCube original.

As a small point of reference, the PS2 edition has sold to this date around 2.1 million copies.

Thanks to NeoGaf

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By oldschool

When you take into account the age of the game and the 3 previous releases, yes, that is indeed awesome.  But apparently Mature games don't sell on the Wii.  Or perhaps, the really good ones will and that is the message developers need to understand.  

I have the Wii version only and it is pretty awesome.  The controls are sublime.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Linkyshinks

Perhaps mature titles can sell well on Wii?

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By c1337us

I have it on the PS2 and I played the hell out of it back then. I have resisted rebuying for the Wii thus far despite all the temptation.

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Alex_V

A good game sells well - nice to see.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EvilTwin
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " Perhaps mature titles can sell well on Wii? "
    I think the counter-argument would be that it's not only a franchise with a legacy, but a game with a legacy.  Resident Evil 4 was almost universally praised when it came out, and makes all sorts of those "greatest games of all time" lists.  All of that on top of the fact that Resident Evil as a franchise is very popular. 
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Linkyshinks

Given the fact the game received little to no advertising in any region after Capcom decided not to TV advertise, these numbers are certainly impressive. The only question is now is if Capcom see potential in creating a ground up Wii game using Motion Plus, alongside a good promotional package to prompt sales. I think they could get a 3m seller in the same time frame easily given the Wii userbase in want of such a game.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By oldschool
    @EvilTwin said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:
    I think the counter-argument would be that it's not only a franchise with a legacy, but a game with a legacy.  Resident Evil 4 was almost universally praised when it came out, and makes all sorts of those "greatest games of all time" lists.  All of that on top of the fact that Resident Evil as a franchise is very popular.  "
    That doesn't change the fact that 1.6 million people bought the game again.  It must have brought in a number, a significant number of new players.  It only shows that a good game that is mature will sell on the Wii.  There really hasn't been a Mature game of the quality of Resident Evil 4 on the Wii yet as near as I can figure.  When a developer truly puts out another Mature classic designed for the Wii, we will see. 
    Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Kiemoe

I played it for the first time on the Wii, and it's my absolute favorite game on the system. That might be sad, considering it's a Gamecube port, so I might be missing the point, but that is just a quality game.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EvilTwin
    @oldschool said:
    " @EvilTwin said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:
    I think the counter-argument would be that it's not only a franchise with a legacy, but a game with a legacy.  Resident Evil 4 was almost universally praised when it came out, and makes all sorts of those "greatest games of all time" lists.  All of that on top of the fact that Resident Evil as a franchise is very popular.  "
    That doesn't change the fact that 1.6 million people bought the game again.  It must have brought in a number, a significant number of new players.  It only shows that a good game that is mature will sell on the Wii.  There really hasn't been a Mature game of the quality of Resident Evil 4 on the Wii yet as near as I can figure.  When a developer truly puts out another Mature classic designed for the Wii, we will see. 
    "
    We could be waiting forever if we're waiting for any game on the same level of quality as RE4, let alone a mature one.  Doesn't that just give the (excuse the term) Nintendo apologists license to never have to own up to the fact that the console doesn't sell a certain type of game as well as its contemporaries? 
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By oldschool
    @EvilTwin said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @EvilTwin said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:
    "
    We could be waiting forever if we're waiting for any game on the same level of quality as RE4, let alone a mature one.  Doesn't that just give the (excuse the term) Nintendo apologists license to never have to own up to the fact that the console doesn't sell a certain type of game as well as its contemporaries?  "
    Who knows, Monster Hunter could be the one.  I don't think it helps or hinders the apologists.  There just hasn't been a solid, high profile mature game to judge it by.  Madworld and HoD:Overkill are quite limiting in their appeal and no real surprise that they didn't sell large numbers.  I tend to think that if another high profile game was made exclusively for the Wii, from the ground up, it would sell.  It is just a theoretical point though.

In all honesty, as a Nintendo fan, I don't really care.  Most of the games I really want to play aren't Mature ones anyway.  For those occasional Mature games that do appeal, I am just happy to get them for the 360.  Playing to strengths really.  With 60+ Wii games and 17 Xbox360 games, it points to where my tastes go.
    Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Daryl

I'm one of the 1.6 million. Shame I only played it for about 3 hours and felt completely hopeless trying to aim with a Wiimote.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oldschool
    @Daryl said:
    " I'm one of the 1.6 million. Shame I only played it for about 3 hours and felt completely hopeless trying to aim with a Wiimote. "
    It was the aiming that made it for me.  I really dislike shooting with a regular controller, mainly because I am crap with it.  I just found that standing up, playing RE4 was the best shooting experience I have ever had in gaming.  Do you think it was you or the controller?
    Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Daryl
    @oldschool: Probably the controller's sensitivity that I never bothered to adjust.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By oldschool
    @Daryl said:
    " @oldschool: Probably the controller's sensitivity that I never bothered to adjust. "
    Adjust it and try again  :-)  You won't be sorry.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @oldschool said:
    "Who knows, Monster Hunter could be the one.  I don't think it helps or hinders the apologists.  There just hasn't been a solid, high profile mature game to judge it by.  Madworld and HoD:Overkill are quite limiting in their appeal and no real surprise that they didn't sell large numbers.  I tend to think that if another high profile game was made exclusively for the Wii, from the ground up, it would sell.  It is just a theoretical point though."
    This. Also, people love saying Overkill "flopped" (it looks so low budget it probably profitted anyway), but at the same time love forgetting that the superior prequel also re-released on the Wii is a million seller too, proving appeal, value and quality issues for the sequel's underperformance.
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By TheHBK

Maybe its due to the fact that it controls better with the Wiimote and is 20 bucks, has a better story and more compelling game than RE5.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By brukaoru

I just hope that Resident Evil REmake will sell well once it's released on the Wii. I think the REmake is just too good for so few to have played it. I never really understood why Capcom broke the agreement with Nintendo to port RE4 to the PS2 and never bothered porting the REmake as well. I think fans of the first game who have never played the REmake owe it to themselves to do so.

Anyway, I'm eager to play the Wii version of RE4 someday since I've heard so much praise about the controls.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @brukaoru said:
    " I just hope that Resident Evil REmake will sell well once it's released on the Wii. I think the REmake is just too good for so few to have played it. I never really understood why Capcom broke the agreement with Nintendo to port RE4 to the PS2 and never bothered porting the REmake as well. I think fans of the first game who have never played the REmake owe it to themselves to do so.Anyway, I'm eager to play the Wii version of RE4 someday since I've heard so much praise about the controls. "

If you ever get around to playing it you should play on the hard difficulty, because the controls do make things slightly easier in the default difficulty setting.

Mercenaries is more fun too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.