Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 5

Game » consists of 38 releases. Released Mar 05, 2009

Resident Evil 5 follows series alum Chris Redfield as he journeys into West Africa with his new partner, Sheva Alomar, fighting Las Plagas-infested enemies called the Majini.

A third in, not really digging it

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Granted, I am very late to the RE5 party but for 25 bucks I gave the PC version a shot. Somehow, this game just doesn't click for me, even though I really liked Dead Space. Let me run down my personal pros and cons:

Pros
    ------

• cut scenes
    • character models
    • Decent use of GTE
    • Inventory management
    • buy and upgrade system
    • Enemy design

Cons
    -------
    • The graphics (Screw HDR, I prefer my games colorful and saturated) 
    • Playing with my 360 pad, the controls feel awkward and slow
    • The "puzzles" are a nuisance
    • The backstory seems pretty convoluted (I never played a RE game before)
    • "RESIDENT EVIL 5!" - You don't say?!
    • The camera angle is too tight (I don't mind a low FOV in general, but RE5 feels zoomed in at all times)

I am currently at the mirror/laser room (Chapter 4, I think) and I really don't want to continue at this point. This whole "Indiana Jones" chapter seems completey out of place, given the (more or less) frantic action in the preceding chapters. And who is Chris Redfield anyway? Oh, right, I could just read through his boring text file. Gee thanks.

So far, I found the experience underwhelming. The characters are outstanding and I am looking forward to each new cutscene, but what's happening in between those is not all that good (especially compared to Dead Space). I feel that there is a great game hidden somewhere here, but it just doesn't come through for me, a rough diamond if you will. Unless the game picks up some serious steam, I am afraid I won't be finishing it, neither alone nor in Co-Op.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

Lol you think the cave plunderings out of place, just wait till you reach the AK-totin majini's

Siris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Siris

Gotta say, your list of cons are really weak.. you're obviously not much of a gamer if you're not liking the Temple level. If you're not playing the game on co-op.. you're not getting the full experience. The camera is supposed to be placed over the shoulder like that, its not too tight - you're just not use to it, which is kind of surprising because Dead Space has just as tight an angle.

You don't really need to pay much attention to the story or know any of the back story to get the full experience from that game.

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By TotalEklypse

never mind i thought this was about how big a piece of shit the game was, because it turned into some mainstream bullshit with fucking non'zombies and useless cover mechanics without any survival horror elements left. my mistake you obviously have nothing to complain about. 

end rant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Siris said:

"The camera is supposed to be placed over the shoulder like that, its not too tight - you're just not use to it, which is kind of surprising because Dead Space has just as tight an angle.

The FOV is still bigger. I played my share of OTS games (Dead Space, The Witcher, Mass Effect 1 & 2) and none of those feel so cramped as this one. It's really obvious in the oil rig sequence, where the screen is so full of shit I had a hard time getting to the levers and zip lines.

The temple level has been done a million times, and often better. "Oh god a laser run away from it!" is like the stone-age of riddles in video games. You want to know what I think has great temple levels? Tomb Raider: Underworld  - it has other flaws, but the puzzles are great.

@TotalEklypse said:

" never mind i thought this was about how big a piece of shit the game was, because it turned into some mainstream bullshit with fucking non'zombies and useless cover mechanics without any survival horror elements left. my mistake you obviously have nothing to complain about.   end rant "

Lovely. However, I knew this before I bought the game. This is basically why I waited so long, it was not high on my priority list.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Yummylee
    @Siris said:
    "you're obviously not much of a gamer if you're not liking the Temple level.  "

...Thats a lil harsh.
    ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ninjakiller

I hate the over the shoulder perspective.  I played RE5 for a couple of hours and quit, same thing with Deadspace. I simply hate OTS games. 

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Yummylee
    @TwoLines said:
    "@Abyssfull said:

" @Siris said:

"you're obviously not much of a gamer (...)"
    ...Thats a lil harsh. "
    And that's a lil stupid. "

And  you're a giant douche.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Yummylee
    @TwoLines:
    Oh =S, my bad lol Now I feel all guilty =(.
    Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Buscemi

My only question, and the outcome will decide the fate of the game, is the merchant in the fifth game?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Yummylee
    @Titus said:
    "My only question, and the outcome will decide the fate of the game, is the merchant in the fifth game? "

Nope, the merchant is very much AWOL in this one. You instead just have the option to upgrade n purchase your whatevers, after the end of each chapter.
    JoGribbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JoGribbs
    @atomic_dumpling said: 

• The camera angle is too tight (I don't mind a low FOV in general, but RE5 feels zoomed in at all times) 
    So far, I found the experience underwhelming. The characters are outstanding and I am looking forward to each new cutscene, but what's happening in between those is not all that good (especially compared to Dead Space). I feel that there is a great game hidden somewhere here, but it just doesn't come through for me, a rough diamond if you will. Unless the game picks up some serious steam, I am afraid I won't be finishing it, neither alone nor in Co-Op. "
    I thought the graphics were the best part of the game; that think looked incredible on an artistic level, and had the technical chops to back it up. I also thought the camera and the controls were a great update of the control scheme from Resi 4, but it didn't really suit the kind of fast-paced action Resi 5 had. I thought 5 was much better than Dead Space as well.

Apart from that I can't really disagree: The story was a bit rubbish, and seemed primarily concerned with entertaining Resi fans and the puzzles weren't particularly clever or complicated.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Yummylee
    @JoGribbs said:
    " @atomic_dumpling said: 
    So far, I found the experience underwhelming. The characters are outstanding and I am looking forward to each new cutscene, but what's happening in between those is not all that good (especially compared to Dead Space). I feel that there is a great game hidden somewhere here, but it just doesn't come through for me, a rough diamond if you will. Unless the game picks up some serious steam, I am afraid I won't be finishing it, neither alone nor in Co-Op. "
    The story was a bit rubbish, and seemed primarily concerned with entertaining Resi fans  "

And it couldn't even do that right.
    Kbm600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Kbm600

I really enjoyed the night I rented this and beat it with a friend. I never had a problem with any of the game. *Shrug* 

But then again I've never played another RE game in my life.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By jakob187

The only way I can play this game is by making fun of it every step of the way.  That actually makes it a slightly enjoyable experience, as it's a hilarious game. 

Otherwise, it's pretty fucking terrible. 

I'm thinking about getting together with my buddy and doing a Resident Evil 5 Comedy Run...because everyone that watches him and me play it on co-op end up laughing their asses off every single time.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By emkeighcameron

The trick is to get the infinite ammo magnum. Here, I made a chart:

No Caption Provided
    JoGribbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JoGribbs
    @emkeighcameron: Replace Magnum with Gatling Gun and that chart becomes insanely accurate for me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JoGribbs said:

I thought the graphics were the best part of the game; that think looked incredible on an artistic level, and had the technical chops to back it up.

Here is a comparison between RE5 and the Witcher. I let XnViewcount the colors. The RE5-Screenshot shows 31663 colors, the Witcher screenshot a whopping 200941 colors. Also, notice how much larger the FOV is. As I said, I prefer the latter.

EDIT: Apparently the embedded HTML doesn't work so great, sorry for that.

Standard links:
    Witcher: http://www.abload.de/img/witcher2010-03-1513-04fy2t.png
    RE 5: http://www.abload.de/img/re5dx92010-03-1512-50-b9q1.png

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By RobotHamster

I'm with you on the pros but I really don't have a problem with your cons.  i liked the game, though it isn't as great as 4, it's still a good game on it's own.  But obviously if you don't like it then don't, people have different tastes and at least you gave the game a try before putting it down.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    @atomic_dumpling: I was thoroughly underwhelmed by RE5 as well. Some of your criticisms resonate with my experience, like the annoying OTS perspective on display. I also felt that the bosses were more like bosses from Lost Planet than a traditional RE game with the emphasis on weak points, which I also didn't particularly like. On the whole the game felt more like a weak pastiche of things other action games and shooters do better (onrails vehicle sections, sloppy cover system, sluggish controls, etc), bringing nothing new to that well-stocked table.
    JoGribbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JoGribbs
    @atomic_dumpling: That comparison does nothing for me; Resi 5 looks much better by miles. 

Not that comparing it to another game is even a good way to convince me the graphics are bad in the first place.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JoGribbs said:
    " @atomic_dumpling: That comparison does nothing for me; Resi 5 looks much better by miles.  Not that comparing it to another game is even a good way to convince me the graphics are bad in the first place. "
    As Vladimir Lem would say: "We agree to disagree"
    Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Alphiehyr
    @atomic_dumpling said:  
    Cons
    -------
    That. I definitely agree with.
    Lazlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By Lazlow

Yeah the pacing is terrible. Alot of the middle section of the game REALLY falls flat.. the swamp.. the refinery.. some of the later parts of the temple and caves area.. especially the mirror puzzles.. yuck. Really sad knowing this is how the series and entire story is supposed to end... Sigh.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I liked the game a lot, I'll admit. But it's narrative woes are pretty obvious. 

I probably dumped most of my time into it in the Mercenaries mode. That speaks for the level of comfort I had with the controls and the camera. I acclimate to that sort of thing quickly. Part of me wants to say that's a nitpicky complaint, but I've got a friend who calls a game's control scheme broken if the character keeps walking for a step or two after he's let off the analog stick, so I'll let it slide, I suppose.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Lazlow: I'm onboard with this summation. The most entertaining bit, I think, is right in the beginning with the African Shanty Town. Basically everything before the Swamp is solid. 

Resident Evil 4, similarly, was weaker on the back end than it was the front end, again resorting to dudes with guns--which sort of upsets the atmosphere for me--but the Regenerators in that game kept the tone in check. By that point in Resident Evil 5, you're looking at a straight-up third-person shooter. All suspense is basically lost at that point.
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#30  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @atomic_dumpling said: 
    • "RESIDENT EVIL 5!" - You don't say?!
    Your other points have merit, but dude, assuming you're referring to the loud voice over speaking the name of the game upon beginning it, that's a series icon.  Every game in the franchise has done this, and I'm sure that most long-time fans of it would rage pretty hard if it weren't in there. 

I also don't understand how people can say that this game isn't as good as RE4 when really it's the SAME DAMN GAME with different characters and HD textures.  This doesn't apply to you since you've stated that you've never played a game in the series before, but it just perplexes me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Kombat said:

I also don't understand how people can say that this game isn't as good as RE4 when really it's the SAME DAMN GAME with different characters and HD textures.  This doesn't apply to you since you've stated that you've never played a game in the series before, but it just perplexes me. "

I think the argument operates on several different fronts.

The obvious one, and the one that really isn't all that fair, is the front that posits Resident Evil 5 just isn't earth-shattering as Resident Evil 4. 4 was a beacon of innovation and will be remembered in gaming history as the title that set the precedent for all third-person shooters post-2005. 5 is sort of the prettier, more bombastic sister that doesn't really amount to anything.  The reason, of course, is that everything has already evolved around Resident Evil 5 and as a result it feels antiquated by comparison. Resident Evil 5 is largely forgettable, mostly because it didn't do anything that hadn't been done in games before. 

Again, that's not fair for Resident Evil 5. Of course it's not going to be such a harbinger of change. But that's something  held over the game regardless. 

The less obvious, more implied premise to the argument entails that the games that have risen in the void between 4 and 5 have refined or otherwise perfected the control scheme introduced in Resident Evil 4. And they've done so in a way that eclipses the progressive steps 5 takes in changing the control scheme. Dead Space is probably the most prominent support for this, as it is a stark, bleak survival-horror game that not only gleans the control scheme from Resident Evil 4, but incorporates it in such a way that seamlessly enhances the terror the atmosphere creates, while still giving the player complete control of their character. This is an age where gamers are responding more stridently to "tank" controls, and Resident Evil 4, despite it's leap-frogging of standard third-person constituents, is still a visage of the "old days." These so-called "tank" controls, in comparison to modern, Gears-esque controls, feel like a cheap way to restrict the player's mobility, and in turn, a cheap way to manufacture scares. 

What this means for Resident Evil 5, which doesn't do all that much to change the control system up (apart from the inventory decision), is that, again, it feels somewhat antiquated. Beyond that, there are portions of the game where the developers try to tow the line (and end up caving to one side entirely) between horror and action. In fact, I'd wager the most accurate description for Resident Evil 5 is "action game with horror elements" and not the other way around. 

Which brings me to the final point that seems to be leveled at RE5. It almost completely abandons the Resident Evil tradition and tone. Resident Evil 4 was chilling, especially in its first act. You can be all macho and deny its scare-factor, but the atmosphere is pretty undeniable in its infectious and overwhelming dreadfulness. Resident Evil 5 has little of that atmosphere, and the brief moments of claustrophobia it does employ are undermined by the fact that you're never alone. The game just isn't scary, and it doesn't seem like it really wants to be. The times it tries for horror are shallow and predictable, and frankly, it doesn't throw anything at the player that they haven't seen before. In another Resident Evil game or otherwise. 

Plus, there's the whole Wesker-goes-Matrix bit in the final third. And that's just sort of ridiculous.

EDIT: I want to reiterate that I quite liked the game. And the controls. These are just the arguments.
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#32  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @Sir_Ragnarok: Wesker's been all Matrix-esque since Code Veronica.  Back then they just showed all of this moves in slow-motion. 

I can see where you're coming from on your other points though.
    Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By Sarumarine
    @Kombat: 
    Resident Evil 4 and 5 have some similarities, but I don't know if I would go so far to call them the same game. RE4 didn't force Co-op on you and you don't need another person to get the best experience from it. True, in RE5 you can have a computer play the other character but it's no stand in for a real person. From what I've heard and seen for myself, the AI partner can go from awesome to dumb and back again to the point where it's hard to know when it's going to walk into a Chainsaw Majini head first or shoot it with a magnum. Also, a lot of the things RE5 attempts doesn't have the same impact as the things RE4 did. You've already seen Las Plagas. You've already seen a Chainsaw Enemy. You've already seen a big ugly transformation scene. I think the make or break point comes whether Africa, Uroboros, and the rest of the game's trappings can add enough to make it great. Personally, I think RE4 is far better, but I don't hate 5 either. RE5 just isn't as impressive.

I don't think Resident Evil has come far enough to make basic enemy characters with AKs seem like a good idea. And I know it's stupid, but I was bummed they didn't have a Merchant character to handle all your upgrades and gun deals.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's also seems awfully random sometimes. You just ride down an elevator and soaking in the sci-fi atmosphere of a clearly abandoned lab, and suddenly "HEY HERE'S A BIG FAT BOSS FOR YA! How he did get in here, you ask? Um … well … got me there … PUSH X YOU DIMWIT!"

laalipop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By laalipop

RE5 was there for one reason and one reason only: To wrap everything up. 

RE4 reinvented the series, if they had kept the same type of engine it would probably have been horrible at this point. 

5 however has all the makings of an ending to the series: The MAIN hero of the series is back, and through files, timelines and backstory in game they have put more facts about the whole series in one place than ever before. 

They also... SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content. 

If you really have a problem with the OTS zoom, beat it and use Sheva, she's smaller, and being left handed makes it interesting. 

As for the team AI there is only one problem with it, They eat ammo. Solution: Stun rod. 

My only complaint about the game is the daytime. There is too much of it. The game would have been much more like a horror game if everything was done at night, instead its sunlight until you get to a part of the game where everything has guns. But then again, this game never did seem to aim to scare the shit out of you after the introduced Sheva. 

If you play the rest of the series before playing RE5, you will have much more appreciation for it, but the game on its own has a lot to be desired...

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By toowalrus

RE5 was my first Resident Evil game as well, and it turned out to be my Game of the Year of 2009.

Lawrens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Lawrens

It doesn't get much better, if you don't like the village and the tomb, the rest of the game is about the same with guns added to the enemies. There are a few interesting scenarios but not really that spectacular.

It is a quite underwhelming game, and I wouldn't have played through it twice without coop. 

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#38  Edited By bed

Resident Evil 5 was pretty disappointing in terms of story and of course the lame ending but i found it to be fun. i liked shooting dudes and all the melee attacks.  

as a long time RE fan, i didn't find it to be too bad. RE4 still remains king but RE5 was a fun game, and i played through it multiple times AND i spent hours upon hours on mercs. the DLC was fine too.  

it was a good game, but not a good RE game, really. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.