Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 5

Game » consists of 38 releases. Released Mar 05, 2009

Resident Evil 5 follows series alum Chris Redfield as he journeys into West Africa with his new partner, Sheva Alomar, fighting Las Plagas-infested enemies called the Majini.

A true RE fans impression of the RE5 Demo.

EnterpriseE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Edited By EnterpriseE

I might be in the minority when I say what i have to say about RE5 but I have to say something.

After playing the demo several times on both 360 and PS3 I believe Resident Evil series died after Code Veronica X. First off I don't know anyone else noticed it but RE5 is almost frame for frame exactly like RE4. From the way the enemies run, walk, stop and stare then attack, and even die just like the enemies in RE4. Even the Chainsaw man in RE4 is in RE5 does the exact same thing. But that can't be the only thing that is similar to RE4.

I've seen you before
    I've seen you before

How about the area our Heroes find themselves in when they are spotted in the house. Oh wait I did this before its called RE4 when Leon was held up in an house and had to defend himself till the bell tower rang. Only difference is a helicopter blows the fence up. End of demo.

Now believe it or not I have no problems with the controls. I find if you put the default settings on Classic RE4 which is Default 1. I know on the 360 its defaults to Type D and on the PS3 it Defaults to Type A. Might be just my system doing that for me. If you guys are running into that comment back please. All this negative talk about the controls is just people trying to turn this game into a action game like Gears of War 2. Then again I can't blame them for wanting it more like that since the game is more action pack than survival. Which leads to another problem i have with game.

RE5 gives me the feeling that this game is going to be straight up action and not horror. One thing all RE fans can come together in agreement on is all the previous titles before RE4 were scary. The feeling you had when you walked into the hall way where you meet the licker for the first time in RE2. The moment you stepped in the hallway the camera was looking at you from outside of the window. Say what you want about Prerendered Backgrounds and camera angles but those were some of the scariest parts of Resident Evil series. Not knowing what was around the corner or hearing a nothing when entering a room. That was scary. That wassurvival horror.

Unfortunately with the success of RE4 things were never going to stay the same. RE5 follows the exact same path as RE4. Which is sad considering all the potentialit had going into development. I really believed that trailer they first showed of RE5 where Christ was being rushed at by enemies. Yeah you remember that trailer don't you?

They could have made the game scary. They could have made it more survival but they choose to go with the genre that sells the most. Action Action Action. When Publishers see games like Gears, Halo, Call of Duty, selling millions its no wonder why they change the game to have that action feel to it.

In all you loved Resident Evil 4 you are going to love Resident Evil 5. If you were a fan since the beginning I would like to get your thoughts on all this and maybe talk me down. Am I overacting ?

EnterpriseE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1  Edited By EnterpriseE

I might be in the minority when I say what i have to say about RE5 but I have to say something.

After playing the demo several times on both 360 and PS3 I believe Resident Evil series died after Code Veronica X. First off I don't know anyone else noticed it but RE5 is almost frame for frame exactly like RE4. From the way the enemies run, walk, stop and stare then attack, and even die just like the enemies in RE4. Even the Chainsaw man in RE4 is in RE5 does the exact same thing. But that can't be the only thing that is similar to RE4.

I've seen you before
    I've seen you before

How about the area our Heroes find themselves in when they are spotted in the house. Oh wait I did this before its called RE4 when Leon was held up in an house and had to defend himself till the bell tower rang. Only difference is a helicopter blows the fence up. End of demo.

Now believe it or not I have no problems with the controls. I find if you put the default settings on Classic RE4 which is Default 1. I know on the 360 its defaults to Type D and on the PS3 it Defaults to Type A. Might be just my system doing that for me. If you guys are running into that comment back please. All this negative talk about the controls is just people trying to turn this game into a action game like Gears of War 2. Then again I can't blame them for wanting it more like that since the game is more action pack than survival. Which leads to another problem i have with game.

RE5 gives me the feeling that this game is going to be straight up action and not horror. One thing all RE fans can come together in agreement on is all the previous titles before RE4 were scary. The feeling you had when you walked into the hall way where you meet the licker for the first time in RE2. The moment you stepped in the hallway the camera was looking at you from outside of the window. Say what you want about Prerendered Backgrounds and camera angles but those were some of the scariest parts of Resident Evil series. Not knowing what was around the corner or hearing a nothing when entering a room. That was scary. That wassurvival horror.

Unfortunately with the success of RE4 things were never going to stay the same. RE5 follows the exact same path as RE4. Which is sad considering all the potentialit had going into development. I really believed that trailer they first showed of RE5 where Christ was being rushed at by enemies. Yeah you remember that trailer don't you?

They could have made the game scary. They could have made it more survival but they choose to go with the genre that sells the most. Action Action Action. When Publishers see games like Gears, Halo, Call of Duty, selling millions its no wonder why they change the game to have that action feel to it.

In all you loved Resident Evil 4 you are going to love Resident Evil 5. If you were a fan since the beginning I would like to get your thoughts on all this and maybe talk me down. Am I overacting ?

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By RHCPfan24

Well, I have followed the RE series for a long time now, and I felt that Resident Evil 4 was a just rebirth of the series. The controls felt great and everything was spot on.  I believe that RE5 is going to continue that tradition, because there is no way the series is going to go back to the controls of yesteryear. I have had to adjust to the new controls after playing it a few times, and if you sort of forget about Dead Space, you feel fine. And it may not be fair that everyone is comparing this game to Dead Space because they are actually pretty different. Resident Evil scares you by bringing the enemies as close as possible and by creating a sense of dread as you are quickly becoming surrounded. Dead Space relies more on the atmosphere and jumps to get you off your seat. I respect both, but they are different. I think I will be able to stomach RE5 when it rolls around. The only problem I have now is whether or not the story and pacing will match what was done by its predecessor, the real main factor.

LeighF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By LeighF1

You're kidding right? The only Resident Evil game that had 'any' sort of fear element was the original Resident Evil. Capcom never ever managed to recreate the ambience. The whole 'licker' thing just didn't do anything for me. The whole first person fmv of the hunter running through the courtyard towards your location was far more effective than a 'straight in your face' tongue lashing. Pre-rendered backgrounds did have an effect on the overrall feel no doubt, but they just weren't as well designed in the subsequent installments. When the series became far less reliant on the interiors, and they began to include more orchestral elements into the soundtrack, it lost that eiry impact. The first game didn't stir fear;  it rather protrayed anxiety.

Fearsome121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Fearsome121

Hmm i think i'm gonna have to agree with what you're saying... In my minds eye the old Resident evil games where scarier, Resident evil 2 was pure bliss, i've never felt my heart beat so fast as when Mister-X fell through that police station roof. So i was sad to see the fixed camera angles go... but these feelings may just be down to nostalgia. Don't get me wrong, i loved RE4, it just wasn't the same, it wasn't survival horror anymore.... And as for pre rendered backgrounds, i got alot of enjoyment from exploring those destroyed, delapidated cities, there was so much detail in those backdrops, they told their own sort of story, you could just imagine the struggles that had happened there. That was lost in the transition to full 3D but i hope RE5 can remedy this.

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Johnny5

I feel the same way. Like RE4 is a good game in its own right, just not the same as the old RE games.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By clubsandwich
    Johnny5 said:
    "I feel the same way. Like RE4 is a good game in its own right, just not the same as the old RE games.
    "
    yup, pretty much how almost every re fan feels, how ever, I think RE5 will have a great story, that's the biggest reason for me to get it.
    Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Pibo47

LOL @ RE4 is scary! Penumbra is scary...

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I feel pretty much the same way, RE5 just isn`t like it used to be, I love the old series but since 4 I just feel they are going mainstream with all the action.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DarkGamer007

I strongly disagree, while Resident Evil 5 might not be "Survival Horror" it is a a Horror game and far from an action game. A reason for why the games may not be scary anymore for some people is the fact that you played Resident Evil 1 up to Resident Evil 5, you know all the tricks, scares and gags. So the game simply isn't scary to you anymore as you have become desensitized from the scary elements.

To say this game has an action feel is just wrong, the game feels nothing like Call of Duty or Gears of War, the only connection between Gears of War and this game is one of the control scheme is similar, yet it doesn't affect the gameplay at all, just how you move. While I do enjoy a good oldschool game, games do have to evolve in order keep selling and getting good scores. Just a game that had a  AAA score six to seven years ago could easily get lower than A due to higher standards.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.