Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 5

Game » consists of 38 releases. Released Mar 05, 2009

Resident Evil 5 follows series alum Chris Redfield as he journeys into West Africa with his new partner, Sheva Alomar, fighting Las Plagas-infested enemies called the Majini.

Did you guys miss mikami-san ,while playing RE5??

supersatanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By supersatanic

Ever since i bought it, I have played RE5 over and over and I do think its a great game and co-op is implemented as well as it can be.I however,do miss the inspired edge shiniji mikami bought to his games,especially RE 4 and the REmake.

I mean it looks as great a game ever has, and the first couple of hours in the shanty town and the african savanna are great but then it takes a HUGE downturn and explores caves,mine shafts, the same boring top secret labs and missile bases we have seen in countless other games. It just dosen't feel right.Also the easter eggs are considerably less and those levels in the mayan tombs with puzzle solving just put me out of the game for a while.
    QTE's are significantly less and with the exception of the zombie biker assault cutscene and the fight with wesker,most are forgettable. Nothing in this game even holds a candle to leon and krauser bantering and slating each other while locked in a life-or-death knife duel. I'm here to tell you, that stuff was legendary.

Boss fights are great,but the ones in RE 4 were just off the wall crazy and some of the most unforgettable: The del lago , el gigante, jack freakin' krauser , that bastard advanced licker that scared the bejesus out of me etc. etc.

Most of what RE5 has to offer are big insectoid creatures,with big red weak points with no interactive QTE'S which could have allowed either of the partners to climb up and chain some cool knife shots.

Also the surrealistic david lynch-esque (to a degree) atmosphere is missed, creepy villagers coming at me with pitch forks?.check. Twin sisters with chainsaws and scarred faces charging at me?.check. A creepy albino kid in a napoleon suit?. Check. A giant 80 foot statue of that creepy kid chasing me and me running for my life? .Checkity-check-check. That fucking regenerator?.Checkity-check-checkity-check. All the while being able to look up the skirt of a spoiled president's daughter only to be called a pervert?.You see where I'm going with this.

I mean most games have blood and gore and crazy creatures but the RE series has been on crack ever since it's inception.  Remember Cheif Brian Irons from RE2 and that bloody huge snake from RE1/REmake?. I will remember them for as long as I live.

Here's where RE 5  falters, it's too prim and proper, chris redfield looks and dresses like a commando/bald space marine archetype and prefers to yell out "come on!!" "Copy that!!" ,"Are you ok!!" . I'd rather have the backstreet boy from RE4 who flirts with the ladies while killing horrible monsters(Another mikami handiwork).  Also , I thought their characterization of albert wesker was just WRONG.They made him an oversexed /metrosexual psychopath who dresses like he's in the matrix. Whereas he's always been this calm,collected ,yet omnipresent and dangerously unprdictable entity who would just jump out of nowhere and stab you in the back and reveal that he hs been 10 steps ahead all the time......

But that's just me. Still, I really like RE5, I've been compulsively plaing it off and on and having a blast. But there's a serious difference between really liking and pumping your fists with enthusiasm and cheering it  while playing throughout the night like I did with RE4.

What do you people think???

DevilishSix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2  Edited By DevilishSix

Although I felt RE4 was one of the greatest games last gen and its the only gamecube title I have left, it still had its problems.  The two el gigante battle in the cave was kinda stupid and the final boss fight was a bit of a let down for me after the krauser battle.  Ashley was to whiney and many times was a burden.

You also seem to not be giving RE5 its props.  The Sheva AI character is one of the best/ if not best companion AI that I can recall......that right there says alot.   I do agree RE5 creatures rely a little to much on the insectoid variety but keep in mind we are dealing with the Progeniter strain of virus versus the Los Plagos from RE4 that had different effects.

Yes that damn Regenitor (spikey thing you had to shoot it out of the cadavers using the heat vision) scared the crap.  However, RE5 has its share of moments.....those Reapers (giant cockroach like creatures that spewed that green crap) scared me almost as much, they  keep impaling me until I finally figured out how to kill them,  the Executioner and Chain Saw mini boss were pretty tense at first, before you get more power weapons.  The U-8 (spider like) boss was pretty cool, the Irving boss (he was on the tip of the creatures tongue....how cool was that) and the Excella boss at the end of ship deck were tight.

Wether these will be memorable in 4 years like you remember RE4 is really dependent on the player.

Yeah in the end, I think both games are great and I am so happy that RE5 did not turn out crap.

infekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By infekt
    @supersatanic:
    I agree - nothing particularly memorable about RE5. 
    The REmake, and then RE4, are easily the best games in the series.  It seems like the quality of each game is directly correlated to how involved Mikami-san was with it. 
    supersatanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By supersatanic
    @infekt:

Still, RE5 isn't the worst of the series by far. The honour of that goes to RE3. I don't know why but i just hated hated hated that game.
    Capitalism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Capitalism

RE3 was amazing 

Inuzagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Inuzagi

I have to agree with you supersatanic. RE5 was a good game but compared to 4(or any of the old RE games) it just felt like the weakest of bunch. I found that the real big problem was the fact that Sheva's A.I. was just crap( when Sheva runs up to a dude with a chainsaw 5 times in a row and dies, their's a problem). Another thing that bothered was the fact the game lost it's edge pretty much after the end of chapter 3-3(although it felt like it was losing it's edge after 3-2 really). Well, that's my take on it personally. Now I'm off to play more RE on my psp and PROTOTYPE(realling enjoying the game alot).

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By luce

my friend has it but once he went to my house a tried RE4 wii version he said he had a hard time going back to RE5.

as for the events in both games..i think thats purely subjective

my friend likes the African setting better while i prefer the creepy, cold, foreign european village setting more.

also..watching my friend play RE5, i noticed the voice acting was greatly improved. except for that matrix looking dude with the combed back hair...he was corny

SUBL1ME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SUBL1ME

Hell I miss everything about the games pre-RE4. Something about the B-Movie zombies, isolation in an overrun town, and corporate conspiracy really clicked with me. RE4 was a fun little action game, RE5 aside from fantastic co-op literally copied RE4 verbatim. RE5 is by no means a bad game and I enjoy it but it follows the formula from 4 to the letter. Not to mention ruin one of the most beloved villains in video game history by turning him into a walking cliche and throw in a final boss sequence that is about as far from Resident Evil as anything could possibly be and you've got the weakest entry in the series by far.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#9  Edited By AgentJ
    @luce said:
    " my friend has it but once he went to my house a tried RE4 wii version he said he had a hard time going back to RE5.as for the events in both games..i think thats purely subjective my friend likes the African setting better while i prefer the creepy, cold, foreign european village setting more.also..watching my friend play RE5, i noticed the voice acting was greatly improved. except for that matrix looking dude with the combed back hair...he was corny "
    Haven't played many games in the series have we? "Matrix looking dude"... It's WESKER! ULTIMATE ASSHOLE!
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#10  Edited By Yummylee

I miss the rumors ofa RE2 remake :'(
    Avatar image for outofbounds9000
    OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

No.I dont,and RE3 was awesome.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By pause422

RE4 blows 5 away, without a question.

D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13  Edited By D
    @supersatanic said:
    " @infekt: Still, RE5 isn't the worst of the series by far. The honour of that goes to RE3. I don't know why but i just hated hated hated that game."

Gotta be gun survivor, or outbeak. RE 3 is wine to those shit games. But I know what u mean, in the actual series not the spin offs. Now that I think of it I really didn't like RE 0.
    mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mhkjtha

If it wasnt for that bitch sheva re5 couldve been better then 4.

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Alphiehyr

Who the fuck is mikami-san? Providing a pic would have been nice.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.